• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

KePoW

Banned
My girlfriend has been managing just fine with the game, as someone who wasn't bought up on RPGs and who's only recent experience with isometric RPGs was Arcanum, she's been having a blast.

So you can't really count new players out.

Well Arcanum is pretty hardcore I heard

Tom Penny

I started a new game to play different classes and I keep forgetting to have one stack mechanics so I can actually open things that are locked lol

So I did the lower levels of the Endless Paths after Act 2 and now that
I have the Blade of the Endless Paths am I screwed in getting it reforged since Defiance Bay is closed?

Uthred

Reload an earlier save and don't
kill the asshole animancer in the bottom-right corner of the map. You can deal with him in a more nuanced way later.

Thats annoying, got sloppy with saves and lost two hours play. Edit: Gah didnt realise that was 4am not 4pm, looks like I lost all of todays play, what was I thinking using only Quicksave and Autosave, especially in an Obsidian game.

I haven't played it since before these three patches were released, and now I see that some stats have been corrected on my characters. I thought they wouldn't fix that until later? Or I guess the save/load stat boost glitch is still there, just that stats can be normalized if you load in another place?

Violet_0

Banned
some speculations regarding companions and the expansions

I suspect that we probably get a new batch of companions like in MotB. The current companions end up going to all sorts of different placed depending on how you handled their quests, some endings have decade-long time lapses and at least one companion might even be dead. Could be that one or two of them show up in the expansion but I don't expect more than that. They could do the ToB teleportation thing again but that seems rather unlikely to me for various reasons

Xiraiya

I haven't played it since before these three patches were released, and now I see that some stats have been corrected on my characters. I thought they wouldn't fix that until later? Or I guess the save/load stat boost glitch is still there, just that stats can be normalized if you load in another place?

The only stat thing they fixed were bonuses being miscalculated to stack, which they fixed in the first patch.
Some companions got base attribute adjustments to be built slightly better, but that's not applied retroactively as base attributes are stored in the save file.

Other than that, I don't really get what you mean.

some speculations regarding companions and the expansions

I suspect that we probably get a new batch of companions like in MotB. The current companions end up going to all sorts of different placed depending on how you handled their quests, some endings have decade-long time lapses and at least one companion might even be dead. Could be that one or two of them show up in the expansion but I don't expect more than that. They could do the ToB teleportation thing again but that seems rather unlikely to me for various reasons
My understanding is that the expansion will be handled more like the original Baldur's Gate expansion, so it just opens up more areas of the map with more quests and runs concurrently with the events of the main game.

The only stat thing they fixed were bonuses being miscalculated to stack, which they fixed in the first patch.
Some companions got base attribute adjustments to be built slightly better, but that's not applied retroactively as base attributes are stored in the save file.

Other than that, I don't really get what you mean.

I was referring to the glitch where if you save and load in an area which you find a companion, that companion will get boosted stats. My Kana had like 22 Int or something like that, but now it's back to the correct 18. I assumed he got the stats boosted because I quick saved and quick loaded a few times in the area where you find him.

But I guess it could be just a glitch with the +1 int hat he has and it stacked a few times.

Truant

Does the Sanitarium come into play later? Seems like an interesting area, but I have no quests for it. I'm in act 2.

Xiraiya

I was referring to the glitch where if you save and load in an area which you find a companion, that companion will get boosted stats. My Kana had like 22 Int or something like that, but now it's back to the correct 18. I assumed he got the stats boosted because I quick saved and quick loaded a few times in the area where you find him.

But I guess it could be just a glitch with the +1 int hat he has and it stacked a few times.

Well yeah, that was one of the first things they fixed, that and the double click bug.

Item Box

Just bought my first pet, and found a bug in which equipping the yellow lab to your pet slot adds +5 to your accuracy each time.

88qi3IC.png

Also, do pets do anything special aside from being at your side?

Calabi

I'm playing through Baldur's Gate 1 right now (after finishing PoE) and it's not even comparable imo. These DnD rules make no sense and THAC0 is the stupidest thing conceived as far as I'm concerned.

To your post though. Do you have 6 party members yet? If not, make that your first priority otherwise the game will be a slog for you. Some enemies are not meant to be fought the first time you see them. You usually need to come back later with a full party to stand a chance. If you hover over the stats on any screen like the item or character details it literally gives you a breakdown of what each and every attribute does and how it contributes to combat.

What part of the game are you at and what mechanics don't you understand?

If it's the herbs you're missing there is a vendor for them in
Twin Elms

Yeah I guess its not as bad as the original's, but is it even necessary to learn all these values what the mean and do, if its all going on in the background and you cant view the enemies. And I never liked the binary leveling up system, whereby choices are locked on the difference between a single value, and your unable to predict the future(never enough information to make informed choices). But that's not a criticism specific to this game its a problem I've always had with these games.

It can't be that hard to understand that if an encounter completely wrecks you multiple times in arrow no matter which way you try to do it, it's not meant to be completed with your current party set up.
You can get up to 3 companion very early in the game, and that should be enough to complete everything around Gilded Vale. The 5th companion comes shortly after and a sixth one is found on your way to act 2. There's no real need to recruit adventurers from inns unless you want a specific class that's not available with regular companion, and you'll get more than enough money for anything by the time you get to Act 2.

Well its hard to know whether your just doing something wrong, or really bad, I used to be really bad at these, and someone did say you can slay the wolves with three party members(they didnt completely wreck me). Anyway, Thanks all. Will keep calm and carry on.

Xiraiya

Well its hard to know whether your just doing something wrong, or really bad, I used to be really bad at these, and someone did say you can slay the wolves with three party members(they didnt completely wreck me). Anyway, Thanks all. Will keep calm and carry on.
Sounds like for whatever reason, this genre of game just isn't naturally very intuitive for you. Then and now.

Just keep at it.

Question about Act 2 Defiance Bay Factions, I'm not very far in, so please answer as spoiler free as possible.

I want to join House Doemenel, I have stolen the jewel, beat up the guy for the female vendor, and assassinated the Knights guy for Gedmar (I left the Dozens item to make it look like they did it). Do I get anymore quests from them? If not, am I considered joined?

I've read its really easy to accidentally join other factions, so I want to make sure the one I side with is House Doemenel.

Violet_0

Banned
My understanding is that the expansion will be handled more like the original Baldur's Gate expansion, so it just opens up more areas of the map with more quests and runs concurrently with the events of the main game.

oh, yeah they could do that as well. I'd much rather have a continuation of the story, though

Question about Act 2 Defiance Bay Factions, I'm not very far in, so please answer as spoiler free as possible.

I want to join House Doemenel, I have stolen the jewel, beat up the guy for the female vendor, and assassinated the Knights guy for Gedmar (I left the Dozens item to make it look like they did it). Do I get anymore quests from them? If not, am I considered joined?

I've read its really easy to accidentally join other factions, so I want to make sure the one I side with is House Doemenel.

I'm not sure if doing quests for House Doemenel actually locks you out from doing quests for the other factions, but yeah you should be fine

I think you have done all of their quests. You have joined their faction if you assassinated the Knight.

_DrMario_

Just bought my first pet, and found a bug in which equipping the yellow lab to your pet slot adds +5 to your accuracy each time.

88qi3IC.png

Also, do pets do anything special aside from being at your side?

Your accuracy seems to be bugged. It seems WAY to too high. What class and lvl are you?

Edit : lol misread it also.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Yeah, I should have noted that image was from the result of me equipping the pet over and over.

Is it even supposed to give you an accuracy bonus? Description says nothing special.

No, they should be only cosmetic.

Alrus

I beat my first big Dragon, only took two tries but I pretty much used everything my party had in its arsenal. Almost thought I blew it when it one shot Eder because I failed to interrupt one of its skill in time but I still made it. Fun fight.

Calabi

Sounds like for whatever reason, this genre of game just isn't naturally very intuitive for you. Then and now.

Just keep at it.

It really isnt, you wouldn't believe how many times I had to reload battles in Baldurs Gate 2. I used a walkthrough and sort of cheated to get more powerful items. I never liked the combat system but the world, dialogue, the rest more than made up for it.

LProtag

Hm. Alright, finally time for me to delve into the game.

What class should I play? I don't really know anything about how the game works to be honest.

Violet_0

Banned
Hm. Alright, finally time for me to delve into the game.

What class should I play? I don't really know anything about how the game works to be honest.

barbarian and monk are fun classes that aren't covered by the available companions. Barbarians require very little micro-management, monks are much more active but also quite a bit more difficult to play especially in the early levels

Labadal

I would absolutely not recommend a monk to someone unfamiliar with the genre.

I'm going with the most boring option: Sword and board fighter. You and the other fighter companion should be able to withstand a lot of hits.

Speaking of potential expansions, in the interview posted a few days ago, they mentioned they are looking into two distinct releases. Pure speculation but I could see something like:

1. Expansion 1 - released approximately 3-6 months from now. 5-6 hours worth of additional content. Supplemental to the main campaign, so same companions but increased level cap. Opens up additional areas on the map filled with one main quest line and some side quests. Hopefully some super tough enemies and encounters. Priced at $10.

2. Expansion 2 - released 9-12 months from now. 15-20 hours of content. Pillars of Eternity - MOTB edition. Takes place after the main game, and continues the story of the Watcher, so new companions, areas, etc. Priced at $20.

I think you have done all of their quests. You have joined their faction if you assassinated the Knight.

Really?
Thats a pretty big let down considering I'm playing a neutral-evil ish rogue.

Does anyone know which quest in Defiance bay
locks you into the Dozens faction?
Need to make sure I avoid that nonsense.

duckroll

Speaking of potential expansions, in the interview posted a few days ago, they mentioned they are looking into two distinct releases. Pure speculation but I could see something like:

1. Expansion 1 - released approximately 3-6 months from now. 5-6 hours worth of additional content. Supplemental to the main campaign, so same companions but increased level cap. Opens up additional areas on the map filled with one main quest line and some side quests. Hopefully some super tough enemies and encounters. Priced at $10.

2. Expansion 2 - released 9-12 months from now. 15-20 hours of content. Pillars of Eternity - MOTB edition. Takes place after the main game, and continues the story of the Watcher, so new companions, areas, etc. Priced at $20.

No, Feargus specifically said they're planning one big expansion but splitting it into two parts so it can come out sooner rather than later. It'll just be part 1 and part 2.

Xiraiya

They were talking about how they had a bigger singular idea for an expansion they want to split into two and get the first one out fairly soon and then the second part to that down the road.

EDIT: Beaten.

Nordicus

Is the Wizard spell Kalakoth's Minor Blight bugged? I can't cast it at all.
It works with my Aloth, though it does tend to make my Grimoire disappear until fight ends. Annoying bug.

If you're confused about how the spell works, Kalakoth's Minor Blights summons a really strong wand of random elements in your hand that has significant Aoe damage

Almighty

No, Feargus specifically said they're planning one big expansion but splitting it into two parts so it can come out sooner rather than later. It'll just be part 1 and part 2.

Yeah I don't like this idea. The cynical part of me just seems to think this is a good way to nickel and dime customers and the rest would prefer to get it at once even if i have to wait longer.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Yeah I don't like this idea. The cynical part of me just seems to think this is a good way to nickel and dime customers and the rest would prefer to get it at once even if i have to wait longer.

I worry that the expansions will feel rushed if they go down this route. You can already tell a lot of stuff was cut or shortened in the game already and I really don't want that for the expansions.

duckroll

So let them know? I'm sure no actual decisions are locked down at the moment. They probably believe this is the best solution for fans at the moment. If there's enough feedback to make them think otherwise, they could change their minds. Obsidian has been pretty open about the entire process of PoE, and I don't expect that to change.

That's the same bug. By saving/reloading in the area then the game would stack the stats from your gear. So in Kanu's case you constantly stack the +1 turban. A lot of people see really high deflection, reflex, etc because they are stacking rings or capes of protection.

It was corrected in the patch last week and the attributes were recalculated correctly.

They were talking about how they had a bigger singular idea for an expansion they want to split into two and get the first one out fairly soon and then the second part to that down the road.

EDIT: Beaten.

Whoops! Thanks for clarifying. Totally misread that quote.

Almighty

So let them know? I'm sure no actual decisions are locked down at the moment. They probably believe this is the best solution for fans at the moment. If there's enough feedback to make them think otherwise, they could change their minds. Obsidian has been pretty open about the entire process of PoE, and I don't expect that to change.

Good idea. Here is hoping I fare better then I did in that vote about shipping the game with the disk or not. I am still waiting for my standard edition to ship.

Top Bottom