• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Some stronghold adventures also provide reputation.

I didn't know the
archives
thing was tied to reputation; I thought you were let in as soon as you were in good standing with one of the major three factions. I tried after I was considered a friend of the Dozens (and the other parties stopped giving me missions), and I was allowed to search.

Oh?

You might be right, I just assumed it was the way I described it based on what the info text said.

Actually, I have no idea why I wrote that, I meant a completely different quest. Well, I do have an idea, because they both end on
"Faith"
. What I meant was
Cinders of Faith

If that's the one I think it is, involving hot springs and such, then yes.

Oh?

You might be right, I just assumed it was the way I described it based on what the info text said.

It could be that it has multiple avenues to be advanced. However in my playthrough
I similarly didn't choose a faction. I went very neutral in a "good guy" sense, not realizing that I was polarizing all the factions so I don't belong to any now. However getting my Defiance Bay rep up to a suitable level enabled me to advance the quest.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nah, I still haven't decided on a faction (because they all sucks) and I was allowed to do it.

Right? They really made every faction supremely unlikable. What was cool was there were a couple of people that made each faction relatable, but on the whole, fuck those guys.

"Wee bit tougher than I thought. Have to manage my party more than anticipated.

More so than BG2 I think? That long since I played."

Ehhh, BG2 has some particularly nasty enemies and spells with permanent effects (Vampires, Petrify) that I'd give BG2 the edge on difficulty. With the exception of some encounters, I'd say Pillars is not that hard from the middle of Act 2 onwards.

I'm having trouble getting reputation in (early city)
Defiance Bay

Anyone got tips? I didn't pay attention to what quest resolution was giving me earlier on so I don't know if I unintentionally lost reputation from something. But I've done a bunch of quests in a "good guy" way and I'm only at "faintly good".

I only had enough rep
to get into the archives
once I'd done every quest in the area bar the final one.

You don't need to reach an exceptional reputation, mine was still somewhere around moderately good (somewhat eccentric), or words to that effect

hemtae

I'm having trouble getting reputation in (early city)
Defiance Bay

Anyone got tips? I didn't pay attention to what quest resolution was giving me earlier on so I don't know if I unintentionally lost reputation from something. But I've done a bunch of quests in a "good guy" way and I'm only at "faintly good".

I think I did two quests for the knights, two quests for the dozens, the priest quest, the GAF inn quest, the brothel quest and the one that takes place in the brothel, rescuing the kid in heritage hill, and the kid murder quest
to get high enough.
there's also the lighthouse quest, the catacombs quests, and the library quests and more if you advance the main quest far enough

DA:O is more or less just a series of long dungeons filled with same-y enemy groups. Most the PoE dungeons aren't that great either, they do kinda remind me of NWN2. Personally, I have a strong dislike of overlong dungeons with lots of trash mobs - I much prefer short ones with a few well-designed enemy encounters and some interesting puzzles

The game as a whole reminds me a lot of NWN2's OC. Especially in terms of the main narrative which isn't especially compelling. Hopefully we get a MOTBesque expansion.

"Wee bit tougher than I thought. Have to manage my party more than anticipated.

More so than BG2 I think? That long since I played."

Ehhh, BG2 has some particularly nasty enemies and spells with permanent effects (Vampires, Petrify) that I'd give BG2 the edge on difficulty. With the exception of some encounters, I'd say Pillars is not that hard from the middle of Act 2 onwards.

Totally agree.
In fact, I slide the difficulty to hard at the beginning of Act 2. So far it's the sweet spot for me.

hemtae

The game as a whole reminds me a lot of NWN2's OC. Especially in terms of the main narrative which isn't especially compelling. Hopefully we get a MOTBesque expansion.

It's kinda what I think NWN2 OC would have been if not for the horrible engine and the clusterfuck that was its development.

Nordicus

It's kinda what I think NWN2 OC would have been if not for the horrible engine and the clusterfuck that was its development.
A good engine won't stop majority of NWN2 OC at the beginning being about getting someone to open a normal fucking gate

elithrar

Thinking about my next run: Cipher w/ 1 or 2 pistols (possible?), blunderbuss or a pike (behind the front line).

Pistols would be A++ for style but not sure on the effectiveness against DR.

Thoughts?

infi

Thinking about my next run: Cipher w/ 1 or 2 pistols (possible?), blunderbuss or a pike (behind the front line).

Pistols would be A++ for style but not sure on the effectiveness against DR.

Thoughts?

Pistols are two handed so you can only use one. Blunderbuss would be best because each shot fires 6 pellets and Cipher get focus with each hit.

Durante

Right? They really made every faction supremely unlikable. What was cool was there were a couple of people that made each faction relatable, but on the whole, fuck those guys.
Yeah, they did a fantastic job of modeling a realistic political situation, especially in such a volatile/negative setting.

I really disagree. The lore and setting are about 50 times more interesting, and so are the companion characters.

Arkanius

I guess I'm the only guy that loved NWN2 and couldn't get into MoTB (Then again, everytime I try to play MotB I try to go as an Evil Warlock, which... sucks?)

NWN2 keep was the best iteration of Keep management I saw in an RPG.

Nordicus

I really disagree. The lore and setting are about 50 times more interesting, and so are the companion characters.
I would love to see what happened if Durance and Qara met. He'd either fall in love with her or break her soul after hearing one sentence come out of her mouth so her soul can never pass on to another body again

She is the ultimate low in RPG companions

I did specify main narrative. The companions are better. The lore and setting I wouldn't agree with, though I don't feel strongly about that. Dyrwood isn't very interesting and NWN2 had the benefit of all of the Forgotten Realm's lore. But POE's main narrative isn't structured particularly well, and the whole thing feels really detached and lacking in character motivation. The opening is weak, and it pays too many homages to old IE games. It isn't until the end of Act 2 that there is any momentum, and the payoff isn't compelling because of a weak villain. The revelations feel like something that belonged in a sequel,
I don't care about the gods because I barely know anything about them, the twist of them being created by an ancient civilization was not interesting. All of the past life sequences feel forced and it was never convincing that the PC was supposed to be going insane.
It was a game where for most of the main story I went along because it was the next story beat I needed to hit, not because I ever particularly cared about any of it.

Why is con the worst stat? And yeah, as someone said, if you're making him a tank, drop MIG to 10, consider upping dex for quicker actions when you need them.
Because the health/endurance increase is marginal.

I did some testing and for a tank build and it's far better to invest all the available points in perception and resolve to avoid getting hit instead of being able to absorb a little bit more damage.

Dexterity increases reflex (for aoe evasion) and attack speed but perception increases reflex as well, deflection and interrupt. For a tank, those defense stat increases are FAR more appropriate than attack speed.

For a fighter tank I would go for something like this:
MIG 10
CON 11
DEX 12 (reflex defense)
PER 19 (deflection, reflex defense, interrupt)
INT 10
RES 18 (deflection, will defense)

For my two handed weapon damage dealer fighter I rerolled to this:

MIG 19 (hit harder)
CON 10
DEX 17 (hit faster)
PER 11
INT 8
RES 15 (concentration to counter enemy interruption stat since I'm using 2-handed weapons)

Blizzard

Banned
When an item (weapon) says "Of will: -3 will" does that literally mean it's cursed? Or is that a glitch? Or does it mean the target loses 3 will?
I think it means the user is penalized 3 will when they are wearing/wielding it. It's to offset the (hopefully) good aspects of the item.

Mxrz

Well. This has turned into Lionheart all over again.

I'm glad the game has been well received, and seems to be doing well in sales. I want isometric rpgs to make a comeback. But there's a lot of stuff I don't like buried on top of the stuff I do with PoE. Going to push on to the end, but can't see replaying it again any time soon.

Galileo

Neo Member
Most Bioware games have far better pacing than NWN2.
Fair enough, NWN2's pacing was all over the place, but I was mainly thinking of certain cheesy characters and the adherence to the "three tasks" formula at certain points.
The Trial (which unfortunately has only one outcome no matter what you do) and Crossroad Keep are the only real highlights of the game for me.

Durante

"NWN2 had the benefit of all of the Forgotten Realm's lore"
(fake-quoting since I really don't want to see spoilers)

I wouldn't call that a benefit. With PoE, they can model a situation where an entire country is on the verge of collapse, and how people there (and surrounding powers) react to that situation. The political and historical background, how well it is developed and how you can actually notice its influence throughout the game is one of its greatest strengths.

How do you use items with "spellbind"? I got a cloak with "spellbind: mirror image" last night but couldn't see how to use the spell.
You should get a separate entry on the action bar.

duckroll

The lore and setting in PoE is great. The narrative is good too. I can understand someone feeling that it is a bit dry because it's true that a lot of the time nothing is really "happening" because much of the game is built around the player being someone who has come from a distant land and there's a lot of discovery in the narrative. Learning about the land, its history, the cultures, how people in the land view the gods and animancy, the politics in the region, etc. The worldbuilding is solid, and there's a very grounded feel to how things are designed in the narrative. There's often a why and how, and the socio-political themes are a good representation of early post-colonial cultures and frontier attitudes. I love it.

Trying to stay away from as much as I can about the game as I slowly start in on it.

I was wondering if anyone could clear something up though. I hired a paladin adventurer and I was wanting to confirm/deny that the dialogue choices I make will have an effect on the paladin's alignment bonuses. Anyone know if they're unchanged since they're not the main character?

Regarding factions, is it possible be at the good side of all of them?
I think I've been in a good side of 2 out of 3 factions in Defiance Bay, and the other one is not my enemy neither (mixed).
RAczjvJ.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What I like about PoE's story is that while there are some callbacks to the olden days, the world seems to be in the middle of growing. It's not yet another ripoff of Tolkien's "the world is a shadow of its former self" type world. It seems very much like a world that hasn't yet reached its golden age.

Hell, if the series continues long enough, we may get to the time period where science and magic are coexisting on a much grander level. Outside of bombs and guns and whatnot. Sort of like an Arcanum that isn't beholden to Victorian tropes. And you know, doesn't hurt to play.

Labadal

Trying to stay away from as much as I can about the game as I slowly start in on it.

I was wondering if anyone could clear something up though. I hired a paladin adventurer and I was wanting to confirm/deny that the dialogue choices I make will have an effect on the paladin's alignment bonuses. Anyone know if they're unchanged since they're not the main character?
In dialog, only your main character's stats/alignments matter.

Labadal

About spellbind items: I have never used those spells because I have never seen the ability added to any action bar. I am going to take a look when I get home.

This game has really kickstarted my old love for wrpgs. Is NWN2 any good nowdays for solo play, apparently the expansion is. I have played other Obsidian games exept New Vegas but I had hard time getting into FO3. Any other good mire recent ones outside D:OS?

I think NWN2 is very underrated. However the first act (which is pretty long) can be kind of a slog and a lot of people never make it past it. Acts 2 and 3 are awesome, though.

Labadal

What I like about PoE's story is that while there are some callbacks to the olden days, the world seems to be in the middle of growing. It's not yet another ripoff of Tolkien's "the world is a shadow of its former self" type world. It seems very much like a world that hasn't yet reached its golden age.

Hell, if the series continues long enough, we may get to the time period where science and magic are coexisting on a much grander level. Outside of bombs and guns and whatnot. Sort of like an Arcanum that isn't beholden to Victorian tropes. And you know, doesn't hurt to play.
The funny thing is that is what Obsidian went for. A world that hasn't reached its Golden Age yet. They have started dabbling with firearms and bombs. Paper is rare, etc.

It was in one of their updates or one of Josh's videos.

Xiraiya

So about enchanting, when have people found it's a good time to start paying attention to that for gear?

It looks pretty damn appealing but I don't really want to go blowing money and materials too early on enchanting fairly regular gear if I should be waiting for more unique and useful equipment.

The attribute boosting enchantments look pretty nice, though it seems like people don't care all that much for attributes in general as much as specific defenses/stats and so on.

Nordicus

Fair enough, NWN2's pacing was all over the place, but I was mainly thinking of certain cheesy characters and the adherence to the "three tasks" formula at certain points.
The Trial (which unfortunately has only one outcome no matter what you do) and Crossroad Keep are the only real highlights of the game for me.
Another highlight is the possible betrayals at the end and the multi-stage bossfight, imo.

How do you use items with "spellbind"? I got a cloak with "spellbind: mirror image" last night but couldn't see how to use the spell.
I think Spellbind in particular means that the spell will occasionally proc. I have a belt that gives me and close party members Wood Skin if I get taken to low Endurance

Edit: nevermind, that's "Spell Holding"

Alrus

I think NWN2 is very underrated. However the first act (which is pretty long) can be kind of a slog and a lot of people never make it past it. Acts 2 and 3 are awesome, though.

I found NWN2 very hard to get into, I tried multiple time and ended up giving up after a few hours because I wasn't engaged enough to keep fighting the UI :/

Xiraiya

NWN2 was weird, when I saw it I thought "This is my kind of thing", and when I played it, I just couldn't get into it, it already felt strangely dated even back then and it was just an odd experience in general for me.

But... Arcanum is a dream to play (Not really) and Victorian tropes are awesome, just look at Bloodborne. I would be all for that however.
I still adore Arcanum, I still love how it looks too, it's pretty aged in some spots visually but in general I find it holds up surprisingly well, more so than some more recent RPGs anyway.

I like the Pillars universe enough, it feels a bit generic in some ways just because it's more of a throwback to those older fantasy worlds before LOTR which is fine but was always the kind of thing that really needed a specific hook to catch my interest.
See Arcanum was great because I never saw a game that was literally just the 1800's with Elves, Dwarves and "medieval fantasy" thrown into the mix and I fucking loved the atmosphere. (Magic was also really fun and had some creative dialogue/quest uses)

Alrus

Nothing there for me. I assumed it would be next to the healing ability from the ring I started the game with. Is it limited by character class? I put it on
Kana
as hes my tank.

I have the same issue with an armor that's supposed to give you Sunbeam (lvl 1 Druid spell I think).

c1rcae

I think I've been in a good side of 2 out of 3 factions in Defiance Bay, and the other one is not my enemy neither (mixed).

Where did you get that character portrait? Is that one of the defaults?

I am currently Champion for the Crucible and moderately good for the others. I also have (Defiance Bay missions slight spoilers)

Missions available for both the Crucible and House for that will affect very negatively to the others

Xiraiya

I'm going to say probably not in any intended way, no.
Stuff like that sometimes has weird loopholes if you look hard enough, but I doubt it.

I have the same issue with an armor that's supposed to give you Sunbeam (lvl 1 Druid spell I think).

Looking around it seems that others have had this problem. Save/load or resting are suggested fixes.

EDIT: ^Indeed. I think I tried this last night but can't be sure.

Ourobolus

Banned

I think you can be on the good side of all the factions (almost done with Act 2 here), but if you are good with one faction, another might not want to deal with you.

For instance:
I did the quests for the Dozens in Defiance Bay first, and I was on decent terms with House Doemenel, but they wouldn't let me do anything past the first quest because I was too friendly with the Dozens.

Top Bottom