• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bah. Oblivion guard syndrome strikes again. Kill a guy in another town over, in an empty room, where the game tells you that nobody saw you or would care if you did, magically your reputation from another city takes a massice hit. Guess there was a chicken skulking around behind the bed.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Holy shit it's on the U-Play store as well.

I have no idea why this fascinates me so much.
I really want to know the U-Play sales now, though.

This shows that I have no idea about business cause I can't really tell if that's good or not so good.

Doing very simple calculations, I think that's enough profits to pay for a game of the same scope, this time without needing another kickstarter . Add the physical release done by Paradox (they won't gain as much, but still it will be something) and the future profits as the game sells in offers and all that, and it's pretty good. Not super great, but good.

fallout

Thanks. It seems like it's tracking ahead of where D:OS was after a week and a half. Not that there was much doubt it would start faster.
I still wouldn't expect it to outperform D:OS. There was something about that game where it garnered quite a bit of discussion on the internet that I haven't seen happening with Pillars.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This shows that I have no idea about business cause I can't really tell if that's good or not so good.

Well...

• 250k x $50 = $12.5 million
  • 17% of those owners have the kickstarter achievement: 0.17 * 250000 =42500. 42500 * $50 is 2.12 million
  • So that leaves about 10 million * .70 to account for steams 30% cut = 7 million.

Don't know how much Paradox's cut is, but I imagine it's significantly less then a standard publishing deal.

Almighty

Holy shit it's on the U-Play store as well.

I have no idea why this fascinates me so much.
I really want to know the U-Play sales now, though.

I wonder if that one activates on Steam or if updating on uplay is easy? Because they haven mentioned about Origin/GOG owners having to wait for the patch to pass certification, but not a peep about the Uplay version. I didn't even know you could buy it on Uplay until you posted this.

Almighty

I still wouldn't expect it to outperform D:OS. There was something about that game where it garnered quite a bit of discussion on the internet that I haven't seen happening with Pillars.

The combat system was awesome and it was among the first RPGs of the new PC renaissance to be released. Though I still think Pillars can match it if not beat it. I know if someone asks me which one they should get I would say Pillars.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Well...

• 250k x $50 = $12.5 million
  • 17% of those owners have the kickstarter achievement: 0.17 * 250000 =42500. 42500 * $50 is 2.12 million
  • So that leaves about 10 million * .70 to account for steams 30% cut = 7 million.

Don't know how much Paradox's cut is, but I imagine it's significantly less then a standard publishing deal.

Yeah, but I doubt that all those copies were sold for 50$. I see a lot of "Hey, I saw this game on "LegitGamezKeyz.ru" for 20$!" posts everywhere.
I'm probably overestimating that number though. It also seems to sell pretty well on GoG though those numbers ought to be much, much lower than the steam numbers.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Finished. Showing 72 hours played for Hard-Expert completion, but did just about everything and forced some encounters that I should've done when my party was stronger and so forth, and started over after a couple hours too. Probably 60-65 hours for a smooth full playthrough on Hard-Expert, so lots to do.

Story-wise, without saying anything specific whatsoever, I'd say it's a good start. I don't think the direction it goes in is...justified? By that I mean I don't know if there's enough buildup over the course of the game for any of its eventual revelations to have that much significance to the player. Some things feel underdeveloped in that regard, and the critical path is surprisingly brief. The companion quests are a little thin at times, too, but in those cases even when the quests are finished you can still get more character development, so I wasn't too disappointed there. Durance's quest is the highlight for me.

The game definitely peaks in Act 2 when Defiance Bay opens up with tons of side quests. After that's cleared out, it feels like the game is just trying to figure out a way to end, in some ways. The late game is shockingly devoid of challenge for a level capped party on Hard-Expert.

So, no, ultimately it's not beautifully written and reactive and strange enough to be Torment, and it's not epic enough to be Baldur's Gate 2, but it's a great game in its own right. Actually I can forgive the engine and mechanics problems of Mask of the Betrayer and say that MotB is still the best game of its kind since the infinity engine era. This is more of a NWN2 base campaign sort of vibe, a mostly straightforward journey to ground you to the mechanics and the world, just much more solid than that overall. I think Obsidian has a great thing going here, they'll get lots of consumer feedback, and we'll get something even better next time around.

hemtae

Just finished it after 84 hours according to Steam. No idea how much of that was when it was idling in the background. My ending slides if anybody cares enough:

I may write up a post about what I liked and disliked but overall, out of all the IE and IE successor games (BG 1/2, PS:T, IWD 1/2, NWN 1/2, KotOR 1/2, DA games), I feel that this is the beats all by BG2, PS:T and possibly Mask of the Betrayer. Hopefully since they have an engine, world, and ruleset all figured out, they can make a giant leap and that game will be a classic still talked about at least fifteen years later.

Nohar

Oh the "nice" little bug...

So, I was at Raedric's Keep during Act III (for
round 2 against Raedric
). However, I noticed that, for some reasons, I lose Gilded Vale reputation. Turns out that each time my party reaches the first floor of Raedric Keep, I suffer automatically a Major reputation loss. It even happens when I load a save made on said first floor.

So I'm kinda stuck at the top of the keep until they patch that (can't go through the sewers, and can't use the vines to climb down).
I guess I'll notice the bug on the official forums later, if no one reported it already.

hemtae

Oh the "nice" little bug...

So, I was at Raedric's Keep during Act III (for
round 2 against Raedric
). However, I noticed that, for some reasons, I lose Gilded Vale reputation. Turns out that each time my party reaches the first floor of Raedric Keep, I suffer automatically a Major reputation loss. It even happens when I load a save made on said first floor.

So I'm kinda stuck at the top of the keep until they patch that (can't go through the sewers, and can't use the vines to climb down).

I had that bug but sucessfully used the vines to get down without a reputation loss.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The game definitely peaks in Act 2 when Defiance Bay opens up with tons of side quests. After that's cleared out, it feels like the game is just trying to figure out a way to end, in some ways. The late game is shockingly devoid of challenge for a level capped party on Hard-Expert.

I was all hyped going into Twin Elms because I expected the size of Defiance Bay and all the sidequests that come with it. Man was I disappointed.

You expect something more from an ancient city, 7 tribes, those weird tree order guys, sacrifice dudes, and other fun characters in that area. It just felt so rushed and cut short :(

jtb

Banned
Finished. Showing 72 hours played for Hard-Expert completion, but did just about everything and forced some encounters that I should've done when my party was stronger and so forth, and started over after a couple hours too. Probably 60-65 hours for a smooth full playthrough on Hard-Expert, so lots to do.

Story-wise, without saying anything specific whatsoever, I'd say it's a good start. I don't think the direction it goes in is...justified? By that I mean I don't know if there's enough buildup over the course of the game for any of its eventual revelations to have that much significance to the player. Some things feel underdeveloped in that regard, and the critical path is surprisingly brief. The companion quests are a little thin at times, too, but in those cases even when the quests are finished you can still get more character development, so I wasn't too disappointed there. Durance's quest is the highlight for me.

So, no, ultimately it's not beautifully written and reactive and strange enough to be Torment, and it's not epic enough to be Baldur's Gate 2, but it's a great game in its own right. Actually I can forgive the engine and mechanics problems of Mask of the Betrayer and say that MotB is still the best game of its kind since the infinity engine era. This is more of a NWN2 base campaign sort of vibe, a mostly straightforward journey to ground you to the mechanics and the world, just much more solid than that overall. I think Obsidian has a great thing going here, they'll get lots of consumer feedback, and we'll get something even better next time around.

Totally agree re:narrative. A bit thin and disappointingly vanilla. Maybe I just had high expectations because of Obsidian. The way I see it... this is the NWN2 OC. The expansion will give us a more focused, stronger narrative, now that they've figured out all of the gameplay mechanics and systems and they can just focus on applying those mechanics in the most effective way possible.

LProtag

So I've heard playing a Cipher with a gun is fun.

What stats should I aim for when creating the character? I don't want to screw myself over at the beginning.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was all hyped going into Twin Elms because I expected the size of Defiance Bay and all the sidequests that come with it. Man was I disappointed.

You expect something more from an ancient city, 7 tribes, those weird tree order guys, sacrifice dudes, and other fun characters in that area. It just felt so rushed and cut short :(

Yep. Ah well.

Xiraiya

One issue I find in a lot of RPGs is the fact I generally find myself feeling more content and satisfied when doing side quests/tasks and exploring, than I do when going down the critical story path. It's a tough balance I think making an interesting world but yet making your entire purpose for being there more interesting still. Elder scrolls games have this issue a lot where the guilds and side stuff are often really cool and far more interesting than the main plot.

I like the general direction of where Pillars is going from the point I am in the game, but really most of my joy comes from interacting with people in towns for quests and filling up the bestiary and finding hidden stashes, seeing my party grow and interact through all that and so on.

It can make you start to forget what the main plot even is sometimes.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I sort of agree that Pillars is good not great, but I take umbrage at any comparison to NWN2 vanilla for one simple reason: the ending to Pillars was not
rocks fall, everyone dies

Purkake4

Banned
I sort of agree that Pillars is good not great, but I take umbrage at any comparison to NWN2 vanilla for one simple reason: the ending to Pillars was not
Honestly, it does boggle the mind a bit when you have the same company make KOTOR II and NWN2.

jtb

Banned

I am by no means a NWN2 OC lover, but that game had two impressive-ish set-pieces: the Trial and the way the whole Stronghold mini-game thing played out. You kind of got that in Act 1 with
Raederic's hold
but that kind of dissipated as the game progressed... it's possible I just completely missed a lot of the options on the first play through.

Also, one thing I really appreciated about MOTB/KOTOR 2/P:T is that each act, instead of ending in a boss fight, ended in a "boss conversation". That it's not the case in Pillars was really disappointing to me, because I think those conversations are as memorable as any moments I've had in a game—it speaks to how backgrounded the critical path is in this game. Which is fine, since it gives you a freedom that's refreshing; it's just a bit disappointing for what I was expecting.

Pillars is definitely the better game than NWN 2 on just about every level, though. And it's characters (and their voice actors) shit all over OC's.

Honestly, it does boggle the mind a bit when you have the same company make KOTOR II and NWN2.

Nah, KOTOR II w/ restored content is a phenomenal WRPG. but it's strengths are in characters and narrative, while being a little broken gameplay wise (just because it's basically impossible to not be comically overpowered as you steamroll through the game).

Xiraiya

I think it was always probably a bit much to immediately expect Pillars to blow those games out of the water, I think it's insanely impressive as is that we got a game that is even close to being on par with stuff like that.

As it was said earlier, it's a good start, which just means I'm really excited for the future of Obsidian and this series, if they continue on with the Pillars lore.

Purkake4

Banned
Nah, KOTOR II w/ restored content is a phenomenal WRPG. but it's strengths are in characters and narrative, while being a little broken gameplay wise (just because it's basically impossible to not be comically overpowered as you steamroll through the game).
That's literally what I meant. KOTOR II was a diamond in the rough while NWN2 OC was a drawn out slog with some bright moments hobbled by its crappy engine.

Damn you guys and your MotB talk. Do I need to have played NWN2 story to get it or?
(and I'm still not done with this gem)
Honestly, not really, there are very few references. It's like 95% self-contained.

jtb

Banned
That's literally what I meant. KOTOR II was a diamond in the rough while NWN2 OC was a drawn out slog with some bright moments hobbled by its crappy engine.

Ah, I misread you (I thought you meant the same company [that made Pillars] also made KOTOR 2/NWN2). I totally agree.

I find the world and Dyrwood very interesting but the main quest rather boring. There's a lot of potential there in the political setup and the history of the area that they could go with intrigue between the powerful neighboring nations, or exploring the wilderness to carve out your own place, or exploring the unique magics of the world (kind of wish there was an Animancer class option), that
the surrounding story with the Legacy and the Leaden Key
just feel tacked on, epic for epic's sake, and it's the main story! I literally only touched those missions after I totally exhausted all the side stuff I could handle.

Remmy2112

Just finished it after 84 hours according to Steam. No idea how much of that was when it was idling in the background. My ending slides if anybody cares enough:

I may write up a post about what I liked and disliked but overall, out of all the IE and IE successor games (BG 1/2, PS:T, IWD 1/2, NWN 1/2, KotOR 1/2, DA games), I feel that this is the beats all by BG2, PS:T and possibly Mask of the Betrayer. Hopefully since they have an engine, world, and ruleset all figured out, they can make a giant leap and that game will be a classic still talked about at least fifteen years later.

Well, you, uh,
fucked the Dyrwood harder than Thaos did.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So I finally made it to the bottom of the Endless Paths

& the first breath OHKOs 4 people. Or maybe it's the wing slam. Doesn't say anything about damage. Just knocked out. Looking at the combat log I can't figure out what I'm even supposed to be guarding against.

wtf lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I finally made it to the bottom of the Endless Paths

& the first breath OHKOs 4 people. Doesn't say anything about damage. Just knocked out. Looking at the combat log I can't figure out what I'm even supposed to be guarding against.

wtf lol

I think it's corrosive damage. Extremely obvious hint: it's not necessary, but consider trying different positioning for your party at the start of the fight.

Miletius

I'm only partway through the game but I'd have to agree that Pillars feels more like BG I.5 level than BG 2. It's got a solid narrative but it's strength is introducing you to a new setting. It's got a lot of backstory to build up, which slows down the pace of the narrative.

Comparing it to NvN 2 though... bleh. Neverwinter Nights 2 had warlocks though, which were kinda cool. Ciphers are pretty much warlocks without the "oooh I'm evil" factor though, so I'm good without them.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I think it's corrosive damage. Extremely obvious hint: it's not necessary, but consider trying different positioning for your party at the start of the fight.

Ah, makes sense. I'll try to plan for that and see if it helps. & positioning, yes
had my rogue slip around back and found some friends back there >_> Maybe I'll have one tank walk up & take that first wallop while I get buffs up

thanks

Ferrio

Banned
Just quickly browsing the last pages, seems I should hold off a bit more? Just got done with Bloodborne, and was thinking of starting this next yet I don't wanna get pissed off due to bugs seen and unseen.

Chaos17

Just quickly browsing the last pages, seems I should hold off a bit more? Just got done with Bloodborne, and was thinking of starting this next yet I don't wanna get pissed off due to bugs seen and unseen.

They've already released a firest patch that patched some big gameplay breaking bugs.

Almighty

Most of the big ones got fixed in the 1.3 patch or its hotfixs so you should be fine if you want to play right now. With that said I believe the 1.4 patch is coming something this week so if you want to wait a few days for that you can.

Miletius

But still a lot left?

Not enough to be concerned about, honestly. If you are really looking for an excuse not to start it up, you'll find it, but the game is in good shape and is very fun to play. A few nagging bugs here and there won't get in the way of your good experience.

11081243_10152808752461593_8325684091223680822_n.jpg

Top Bottom