• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

I am currently Champion for the Crucible and moderately good for the others. I also have (Defiance Bay missions slight spoilers)

Missions available for both the Crucible and House for that will affect very negatively to the others

I'm going to say probably not in any intended way, no.
Stuff like that sometimes has weird loopholes if you look hard enough, but I doubt it.

I think you can be on the good side of all the factions (almost done with Act 2 here), but if you are good with one faction, another might not want to deal with you.

For instance:
I did the quests for the Dozens in Defiance Bay first, and I was on decent terms with House Doemenel, but they wouldn't let me do anything past the first quest because I was too friendly with the Dozens.

Ah, right.
I'm stuck with Doemenel because of the rivalry as well. I can't progress further & accepting more quests from them because I've been in a good mood with the Dozens.

TheFatMan

I was rather peeved to discover that just ACCEPTING a certain quest from the Dozens locks you into their faction.

I had hopes on siding with the Crucible but I hadn't made it that far into their quests yet. First thing in the game that caught me off guard and I was disappointed.

I was rather peeved to discover that just ACCEPTING a certain quest from the Dozens locks you into their faction.

I had hopes on siding with the Crucible but I hadn't made it that far into their quests yet. First thing in the game that caught me off guard and I was disappointed.

The guy who gives the quest in the Dozens says something to the effect of "taking this quest is going to put you on the outs with the Crucible Knights and House Doemenol."

Xiraiya

How do you release companions from your party?
Is it possible to recruit them again or complete their quests after you release them?

You can release them by killing them or using the Party Manager.
Durance is the only one I've seen that has dialogue about leaving.

TheFatMan

The guy who gives the quest in the Dozens says something to the effect of "taking this quest is going to put you on the outs with the Crucible Knights and House Doemenol."

I remember that, I also remember it was phrased in a way I didn't think just taking the quest would lock it in. I figured I'd have to actually complete the quest. Not a big deal but I'd have preferred the Crucible.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Is it possible to recruit them again or complete their quests after you release them?

You can do this from any inn. You can also do this by leaving Caed Nua when you have more than 5 followers.. a party selection screen will prompt.

You can do it in the stronghold and any inn and yes.

And for the three way split:

To get in good standings with all of them:
- Steamroll all the Crucible ones
- Find A. Doemenol, agree to the stealing, steal the thing without getting caught but DON'T take the missions given by the head guy
- Instead, for the Doemenol lady, find the guy and deal with it
- Find the thug house
- Promise to talk to Maea (sp?)
- She makes you go to the Doemenol lady to lower her prices
- Say that you dealt with the guy, she promises to lower her prices -> all the factions win
- I haven't found more Dozens quests but now you are at situation where all of them like you and you can start the "fuck the others"-quests as you wish (or don't!)

Mephala

I have the champion edition, it shows Champion DLC as 6.5gb. Do I download the original game(also around 6.5) and then add this on top?
Just wanted to check, lousy internet quota here. :\

Spookie

Right at the end of the game now and Durance has gone from being one of my most least like characters to my most. Really loved his development, I'm sad this is almost over. :(

Durante

The lore and setting in PoE is great. The narrative is good too. I can understand someone feeling that it is a bit dry because it's true that a lot of the time nothing is really "happening" because much of the game is built around the player being someone who has come from a distant land and there's a lot of discovery in the narrative. Learning about the land, its history, the cultures, how people in the land view the gods and animancy, the politics in the region, etc. The worldbuilding is solid, and there's a very grounded feel to how things are designed in the narrative. There's often a why and how, and the socio-political themes are a good representation of early post-colonial cultures and frontier attitudes. I love it.
Yes, well said, that's exactly what I mean. The story of what happens to the player character is somewhat standard fantasy fare, though well-executed. What absolutely makes it stand out for me is the world, factions and history you discover while following that story.

So about enchanting, when have people found it's a good time to start paying attention to that for gear?

It looks pretty damn appealing but I don't really want to go blowing money and materials too early on enchanting fairly regular gear if I should be waiting for more unique and useful equipment.

The attribute boosting enchantments look pretty nice, though it seems like people don't care all that much for attributes in general as much as specific defenses/stats and so on.
I tend to do it on "named" weapons and armour.

I like the fact that even the bad guy in this game, at least according to my standards, has some great redeeming value while at the same time the good guy also has some nasty sides.

The world is built so well that I really just want to stay neutral and see how it works out. Anything my PC meddles in ended up way different than what I want it to be.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
re: enchanting

I add effects to weapons fairly frequently

Adding +2 attributes to armor, on the other hand, is a special occasion. There aren't enough gems to to do that just whenever

Uthred

Enjoying the game so far, but mechanically the system often reminds me of a fantasy heartbreaker from a decade or so ago

Dsyndrome

I appreciate they're doing hotfixes for straight-up broken things like doors and lockpicking. I'm guessing there's not any consolidated list of things being fixed by 1.04 yet, glad to here it's probably out soon!

fallout

1.04 isn't out but we're already talking about bugs being fixed in 1.05?
I'm a little confused.
Pretty typical SW development practice. You don't want to include untested bug fixes as it might result in further breakage, so you plan releases ahead of time and slot bugs in depending on how far along they are in the development cycle.

Ourobolus

Banned
1.04 isn't out but we're already talking about bugs being fixed in 1.05?
I'm a little confused.

Patch releases get bugfixes bundled and then put into testing before release. While testing is occurring, devs work on the next patch to address other newfound bugs.

Calabi

I hate to say it but this is reminding of what I didnt like about the original Baldurs Gate games. Frequent misses and vague obtuse mechanics.

Is there something wrong with the difficulty because I turned it down, transitioned maps and it doesnt seem to have made any difference. I cant even kill four wolves. I'm not trashing the game or anything, I liked Baldur's Gate's but they were a hard slog at the time I'm not sure I can bothered with that again.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I hate to say it but this is reminding of what I didnt like about the original Baldurs Gate games. Frequent misses and vague obtuse mechanics.

Is there something wrong with the difficulty because I turned it down, transitioned maps and it doesnt seem to have made any difference. I cant even kill four wolves. I'm not trashing the game or anything, I liked Baldur's Gate's but they were a hard slog at the time I'm not sure I can bothered with that again.

There are a lot of areas where they expect you to come back with a full party. The first map on hard is more about surviving till the end than actually trying to 100% it the second you get there, and with three people even on Path of the Damned four wolves is nothing.

iammeiam

Difficulty controls what enemies spawn and how many, but a given enemy is the same between difficulties. So a wolf on Easy is the same as a wolf on Hard, but Hard may have a pack of multiple wolves or a single bear where Easy has a wolf.

Filling out your party helps a ton--don't be shy about hiring dudes at the inn until you can find in-game companions. Things are tough at first but got a lot easier for me once I got, like, a tank and things.

I need help with a quest.
The Theorems of Pandgram. Is there a way to steal the book without getting caught? there's a dude right in front of the door, so even sneaking he sees me

iammeiam

The Theorems of Pandgram. Is there a way to steal the book without getting caught? there's a dude right in front of the door, so even sneaking he sees me

Yes, but it relies on doing another quest.
Finish the quest from the lady there whose name I don't remember about fetching the scroll, then go back to Theorems.

Ourobolus

Banned

There's another quest you can do, the Parable of Wael that should allow you to gain access to that room after you complete it.

I did these two out of order though, so I'm just guessing it should work.

Alrus

Îf you do the quest Grimda gives you about retrieving a scroll and do it right, she'll give you access to the archive.

Calabi

I wish they'd have sorted that, having a full party is one of the most important things in these sort of games. You already had two members they would have been perfect but they got rid of them for no reason.

I dont want to waste gold recruiting members as this is the sort of game where you have finite limits and they have interesting characters. I've got three members so I've got to hope I randomly find the other three.

I dont know I wished they'd had been linearity and guiding in the beginning and that's coming from someone who has experience with these games and prefers open games. I'm sure it's way worse for new people, I hope it doesnt put them off.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

I'm playing through Baldur's Gate 1 right now (after finishing PoE) and it's not even comparable imo. These DnD rules make no sense and THAC0 is the stupidest thing conceived as far as I'm concerned.

To your post though. Do you have 6 party members yet? If not, make that your first priority otherwise the game will be a slog for you. Some enemies are not meant to be fought the first time you see them. You usually need to come back later with a full party to stand a chance. If you hover over the stats on any screen like the item or character details it literally gives you a breakdown of what each and every attribute does and how it contributes to combat.

What part of the game are you at and what mechanics don't you understand?

Yeah agreed, I'm at that point now for cash - but don't have enough materials to simply make everything Exceptional.

If it's the herbs you're missing there is a vendor for them in
Twin Elms

iammeiam

I dont want to waste gold recruiting members as this is the sort of game where you have finite limits and they have interesting characters. I've got three members so I've got to hope I randomly find the other three.

Money really, really isn't a problem in this game. You will eventually have more money than you can reasonably spend. Hiring a couple of cheap level 1 adventurers to float you along until you meet the rest of your party will have no ill effect long-term and help you a ton short-term. Then just kick them to the curb when you meet the 'real' companions, if you want.

Alrus

I wish they'd have sorted that, having a full party is one of the most important things in these sort of games. You already had two members they would have been perfect but they got rid of them for no reason.

I dont know I wished they'd had been linearity and guiding in the beginning and that's coming from someone who has experience with these games and prefers open games. I'm sure it's way worse for new people, I hope it doesnt put them off.

It can't be that hard to understand that if an encounter completely wrecks you multiple times in arrow no matter which way you try to do it, it's not meant to be completed with your current party set up.
You can get up to 3 companion very early in the game, and that should be enough to complete everything around Gilded Vale. The 5th companion comes shortly after and a sixth one is found on your way to act 2. There's no real need to recruit adventurers from inns unless you want a specific class that's not available with regular companion, and you'll get more than enough money for anything by the time you get to Act 2.

Nohar

So, just completed Fragments of a scattered faith (Edér's sidequest).

That's it? There has to be a follow-up, it can't end like this, it's frustrating :'(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

That's it? There has to be a follow-up, it can't end like this, it's frustrating :'(

That's it. I know, it sucks. Maybe we'll get something in an expansion.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Îf you do the quest Grimda gives you about retrieving a scroll and do it right, she'll give you access to the archive.

Define what you mean by right! I chose to listen to the voice of a certain related entity to that quest and Grimda wasn't too pleased despite me (in theory) helping someone she should like.
Obviously, I knew that was going to be a deal breaker with that character, but hey.
I followed the voices in my head

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

I felt the same way.
Maybe the ending will add something to it?

EDIT: Oh, I see

szaromir

Banned
I've fired the game for the first time since Friday (I visited my family during Easter) and something has totally crippled the performance of this game - framerate has dropped from 60fps to 2fps. On top of that many character models aren't displayed at all. Doubt it's hardware related as other games run fine. Could this change have been triggered by the new Geforce drivers which were installed today morning?

Alrus

Define what you mean by right! I chose to listen to the voice of a certain related entity to that quest and Grimda wasn't too pleased despite me (in theory) helping someone she should like.
Obviously, I knew that was going to be a deal breaker with that character, but hey.
I followed the voices in my head

That's what I did and she still gave me access to the archive.

Most of the companion quests are like this. They end suddenly with little closure.

Xiraiya

My girlfriend has been managing just fine with the game, as someone who wasn't bought up on RPGs and who's only recent experience with isometric RPGs was Arcanum, she's been having a blast.

So you can't really count new players out.

It's perfect!
I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome. Pillars repeatedly, through its main quest, sidequests and characters talks about the corrupting influence of history, and how it's better to leave things in the past and instead seek your own path. Eder isn't the only party member forced to come to terms with a legacy that isn't clean, explicable or redeeming.

There is a small follow-up, in that
you will talk to Eder about it in a scripted conversation later. This is also true of Kana and GM, who are the other two whose sidequests I've completed. Those conversations give you a chance to impose meaning on something that seems senseless or cruel — and to find a road forward.
It's good writing.

Just to expand on this further, a lot of the political context for the game is also to do with the tortured legacies of, e.g., colonialism, war crimes or religious persecution. The more metaphysical nature of souls, adra, Berath's Wheel also attacks these questions from the more magical/mystical side: What is our soul inheritance? What hold does the past have over us? To what extent are we responsible for our prior actions — in this life or the one before? What cycles are breakable? What is the toll of history? I'm only at the beginning of Act III, so I don't want to say more about this until I've taken in the whole plot, but it's another area where this game is superior to the Baldur's Gate games: Like PS:T, it simply has more to say.

"That's what I did and she still gave me access to the archive."

I believe her willingness to believe your story and give you access depends on your disposition (i.e. how honest your character is).

Ourobolus

Banned
FYI there's a bug (or maybe it's intentional) with the Hall of Revealed Mysteries. After doing the quest where you have to steal the scroll from there,
even if you aren't seen, the entire place becomes hostile to you.

Apparently going into sneak mode before entering the building ensures that they won't automatically enter hostile mode. (I did this last night and can confirm it works, barring any patches that have come out since then).

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
The end of Scattered Fragments isn't
the end of Eder's arc- he eventually comes up to you a bit after the quest is done to talk about it, and he has a lot of stuff to say about it in the final dungeon.

Top Bottom