• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

fanboi

Banned
Been spending WAY too much time in Endless Path right after I was able to. Lots of money and then building the resulted in a LOT of exp and levels..So now my party is like level 8 and I have hardly worked on the main story..

Same here :) Just starte act 2 and I can just plow through :)

EDIT: Think I am at level 13 in endless.

Violet_0

Banned
Any tips for a starting race/class? Preferably melee focused, damage or crowd control.

moon and fire godlike (best abilities) or hearth orlan

warriors with two-hand weapons are tanky dps and can use shields in the second weapon slot to become pure tanks if necessary, barbarians can hit several enemies at once and have high health and a great self-heal, paladins are worse warriors that come with decent auras, monks can spam cool crowd control abilities that knock enemies around but can't take many punches when build for damage (hard to play), can't comment on rogues

Tash

I am still really confused about if I should give my monk a weapon(s) or not..
It's just so tempting to use unique weapons for her..

Also, as much as I love Kana I redid a new chanter with way better hymns and setup..I just really wish I could respec my companions :/ made some decision that are not gamebreaking but that were by far not smart ones..

Also, now that I think of it. I am in general really confused on what weapons/gear to use on what classes. So far I used Medium on my monk (enchanted to higher quality) robes on both Durance and Aloth and the heaviest armor I could find for my tanks. After all they just need to stand there and take hits :p

Same here :) Just starte act 2 and I can just plow through :)

EDIT: Think I am at level 13 in endless.

Yeah I basically had to stop because I needed to do something else to be able to proceed in Endless. I am waiting with driving the main story forward, I love doing all the side quests and exploring way too much :D

Mephala

moon and fire godlike (best abilities) or hearth orlan

warriors with two-hand weapons are tanky dps and can use shields in the second weapon slot to become pure tanks if necessary, barbarians can hit several enemies at once and have high health and a great self-heal, paladins are worse warriors that come with decent auras, monks can spam cool crowd control abilities that knock enemies around but can't take many punches when build for damage (hard to play), can't comment on rogues

Thanks, could you explain why Paladins are bad? While I'm ok with running warriors and barbarians they seem pretty generic and a bit boring given how often I see them. Might go with a Monk just for something different while still sticking with what I like but I'm keen to know more about Paladins and Monks in this game in general.

Nordicus

Thanks, could you explain why Paladins are bad? While I'm ok with running warriors and barbarians they seem pretty generic and a bit boring given how often I see them. Might go with a Monk just for something different while still sticking with what I like but I'm keen to know more about Paladins and Monks in this game in general.
Paladins do not have great damage, nor can they control the battlefield the same way other melee classes can, whether its engagement or knockdowns or other types of crowd control. They have some support capability and by default slightly better defensive stats, but they fall short in actually making a difference in battle.

Violet_0

Banned

worse base accuracy (25 to 30) and their talents and abilities are not as good, otherwise they are identical

you can get a feel for the classes here
http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Paladin
http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Monk
don't go with the recommended attributes - never raise constitution, it's useless

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Do we ever get a monk companion character? I know we don't get rogues or barbarians, but I don't want to accidentally miss somebody.

Alastor3

i've been away for 5-6 days and I just got my game patched. I read the notes but didn't seen anything about the double clicking bug. Did it got patched ? Will it be retroactive to my save game ?

Holy shit is the level 6 petrify wizard spell broken. Makes even the hardest fights trivial. I love it. Enemy cant move, defenses drop to zero and take 4x damage for 20 seconds.

Nordicus

i've been away for 5-6 days and I just got my game patched. I read the notes but didn't seen anything about the double clicking bug. Did it got patched ? Will it be retroactive to my save game ?
Yes, in fact it is right there as the second fix on the "Big Ticket" list

Varna

act 1 is rough - there are more enemies, they do a lot of damage and have higher deflection than your accuracy. Even a fight against a horde of not-kobolds or a group of bandits can be very challenging (and fun) and you might have to reload quite often. In act 2 the game becomes considerably easier but some encounters like banshees or drakes can still be rather tough. In short, I think that PotD is the intended difficulty level for me, it just feels right

Okay, this scares. Basically I won't be able to hit anything with meele characters right?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, this scares. Basically I won't be able to hit anything with meele characters right?

No, that's not accurate. This isn't Morrowind and cliff racers. You will be challenged, but you're not just whiffing on attacks until you get lucky.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God, I chose the Doemenel allegiance in Defiance Bay.

2ba.gif

dude

dude
It'll be nice if the expansion adds a new class and four companions - rogue, barbarian, monk, and the new class.

I actually don't feel the need for another class. But I'd take companions in a heart beat. 8 feels a little sparse compared to BG2 for example. I also wouldn't mind companions overlapping in classes.

duckroll

There are no good choices here, only pragmatic ones.

Regarding Defiance Bay factions (end of Act 2 spoilers):
In the end I sided with the Crucible Knights because in terms of roleplaying and my character's mentality, it made the most sense. They're a stable form of law and order in the city, they would give me good access to the duc, and they weren't gangsters or criminals. The big turn off was that some of them were fucking racists. I have to say, when I returned from the delivery quest to find the Forge Knights fucking all of them up, and I didn't see the racist bastard at the entrance, I was overjoyed. Due to the events at the end of Act 2 I haven't been able to return to check if he actually survived, but I hope he died horribly. :p

I actually don't feel the need for another class. But I'd take companions in a heart beat. 8 feels a little sparse compared to BG2 for example. I also wouldn't mind companions overlapping in classes.

I don't feel the "need" for another class, but I think it would be a good addition just to offer more variety for the expansion. It would make a good additional selling point too.

Same here. They don't need to have long sidequests either. Just some dialogs and funny one-liners to interact with the rest of the crew. Or maybe some romances. :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
There are no good choices here, only pragmatic ones.

It sort of just happened. I hated the arrogance of the younger Doemenel, but I accepted his quest thinking it would be possible to sort things out (i.e. rat them out) with the other family. They wouldn't listen to me, or there was no dialogue option to do so, so in the end I sort of snuck up and stole the trinket anyway
and killed the house guards R.I.P sorry!

And then the elder Doemenel guy swayed me with his "oldest family in the town" sweet talk. :3

It sort of just happened. I hated the arrogance of the younger Doemenel, but I accepted his quest thinking it would be possible to sort things out (i.e. rat them out) with the other family. They wouldn't listen to me, or there was no dialogue option to do so, so in the end I sort of snuck up and stole the trinket anyway
and killed the house guards R.I.P sorry!

And then the elder Doemenel guy swayed me with his "oldest family in the town" sweet talk. :3
I straight up murdered all of them, loot is nice.

Dsyndrome

Is it worth it to get the companions earlier to be able to assign their skills vice auto-leveling, or does it not really matter?

I've got Eder, Durance, Aloth, and a rogue, debating going back to Gilded Vale to complete a bunch of quests or pushing forward to gather more party members, loot, wolf bites, etc.

I'm at the start of act 2 (act 1 took me a while, did all the quests and such I could find) and I decided to bump it from Normal to Hard. It was starting to get way too easy. And from the discussion in here it seems even Hard can be pretty simple.

Xiraiya

I'm at the start of act 2 (act 1 took me a while, did all the quests and such I could find) and I decided to bump it from Normal to Hard. It was starting to get way too easy. And from the discussion in here it seems even Hard can be pretty simple.

Hard just has the intended encounter design, it doesn't affect their stats, just adds variety. If you want stronger enemies try POTD.

Aren't stat boosts from items supposed to stack? If I have a necklace that gives me +2 Int and an armor that also gives me +2 Int, I only get +2 Int. I've tried changing back and forth, but the same stats never stack on any character.

Aren't stat boosts from items supposed to stack? If I have a necklace that gives me +2 Int and an armor that also gives me +2 Int, I only get +2 Int. I've tried changing back and forth, but the same stats never stack on any character.

It only gives you the highest boost. Check the character page and it will tell you which effects are "suppressed."

Giever

So I played this a bit when it first came out, and didn't really have any problems, but decided to put it aside until some of the more annoying bugs were fixed. Now with the latest patch which actually lets me double-click to equip (yay!) I decided to come back, but I'm crashing really often which never happened before.

Burt

As said above, nah, but some effects from different sources do stack. I think that food and rest bonuses can both stack on top of equipment bonuses.

Kinthalis

Banned
So I played this a bit when it first came out, and didn't really have any problems, but decided to put it aside until some of the more annoying bugs were fixed. Now with the latest patch which actually lets me double-click to equip (yay!) I decided to come back, but I'm crashing really often which never happened before.

Verify cache integrity. Seems to be the culprit in a lot of Unity based games, don't know why. Some incompatability with Steam's download system?

Alavard

Well, I finished the game last night. I played on normal, and finished nearly all sidequests and extra content in about 33 hours. The only big thing I didn't do was defeat the final boss of The Endless Paths.

I barely squeaked through the final boss on my second attempt.

Overall it was a fantastic game. It's so incredibly close to a true BG game and yet even better with some of its mechanics and lore.

I wish, however, that my younger self could have played it. I was 15 when Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn first released, and I'm pretty sure I got it during its release week (I had picked up the original a year earlier). Back then I was more patient with games. I didn't have such a thing as a backlog and played the same games to death over and over. I probably played the opening dungeon to BG2 with nearly every possible class/kit just to try them out. But I had to really push myself back into the patient mindset with Pillars, and even then, by the end, I was kind of pushing myself just to finish it.

I'm not sure if I'll replay or not. If so, it probably won't be for a while. I will, however, dive headfirst into the expansions when they come out.

kyubajin

10+ hours in and I haven't yet reached Defiance Bay. Game is so massive and so well written. Now I feel ashamed about never playing any of the Infinity Engine games... Might give Baldur's Gate: EE a go.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Whelp, I had to walk away from the last floor of the Endless Paths. It was wrecking my self-esteem.

I'm sure it's been talked about, but what does everybody think about not being able to prep/buff for big fights beforehand?

I mean, I get the idea, and things got a little silly with prepwork during Throne of Bhaal, but it seems limiting in a very artificial way.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-buffing seemed like an extra step of unnecessary busywork to me, but I dunno if straight up disabling spells out of combat was the answer particularly. It's not like in 90% of fights you can't set up pre-buffing by parking your dudes miles away and sending in a pet or Eder or Eder shouting about petting and then letting Durance go wild on his spell slots as the enemies take their time running over. Limited resting might have solved the problem without it, anyway- if you really want to prebuff every fight you're going to be running back and forth from the inn.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Pre-buffing seemed like an extra step of unnecessary busywork to me, but I dunno if straight up disabling spells out of combat was the answer particularly. It's not like in 90% of fights you can't set up pre-buffing by parking your dudes miles away and sending in a pet or Eder or Eder shouting about petting and then letting Durance go wild on his spell slots as the enemies take their time running over. Limited resting might have solved the problem without it, anyway- if you really want to prebuff every fight you're going to be running back and forth from the inn.

Yeah, having recently replayed the BG trilogy, I admit that having to buff all the time during the back third (half?) got old. So much clicking.

It just seems reasonable that if I send a scout out to find enemies, my folks ought to be able to fully use that knowledge to their advantage. Or if I'm in an obviously dangerous place, I might want to drink a potion. Or if my 10 mechanics isn't enough (sigh), maybe I'd protect myself before deliberately setting off the trap.

& I agree, limited resting is probably enough of a limitation. You certainly can't afford to cast a bunch of spells before every fight.

Dresden

Cleared the Dyrford Ruins... ughhh at the number of these enemies. At this point I think I've killed more things than in the entirety of BG2.

embalm

Cleared the Dyrford Ruins... ughhh at the number of these enemies. At this point I think I've killed more things than in the entirety of BG2.
I just finished this last night as well and had the same feeling, there are lots of bad guys hanging out down there. On top of that if they targeted their spells correctly some times my two casters would drop right from the start.

Maybe it's the Hard difficulty which adds enemies and doesn't increase their stats.

It does feel a lot more like Baldur's Gate 1 in that since. It's not 10,000 kobold commanders with fire arrows waking you up in the middle of the night, but it can be annoying at times. Like the cave of spiders, it's like I get it lots of spiders, we don't need to chain all of these encounters together through the entire freaking cave.

Edit:
I want to add that the game is by far at it's BEST when you are matched up against a diverse enemy party. It's fun trying not to get your tank stuck on their tank while their rogue sneaks around the side. Getting blasted by fire arms, only to unleash your AoE. Knocking down their mage to prevent AoE. Blinding or debuffing their big damage dealers in some way. I wish there was more of that and less random swarms of beetles, spiders, and shades. I get excited every time I see an armed group in hopes of battle.

Jhriad

How hard is the hardest difficulty? Been going through on Normal Iron Man Mode and I'm thinking about trying an Expert + Iron Man + Highest difficulty run after this.

Top Bottom