• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Aaron D.

I have far too many games on my table right now to spend 40 hours reading short stories.

Not that I'm slamming you for doing it.

Ha. No worries.

Though the writing quality in PoE will never be confused for Literature's Finest, it is of exceeding quality for the gaming medium. I think that novelty alone keeps me coming back to the written words in the game.

It's just so refreshing to read words that express shades of gray, a subtlety and nuance rarely seen in games that are typically obsessed with one-dimensional depictions of good vs. evil. Pillars feels far more sophisticated in both theme and execution in this regard.

Beloved

I will be honest. I was reading the gold name plat NPC dialogues for awhile but by time I got to Defiance Bay I had almost zero interest in continuing to do so. I might be more interested if they played a bigger part in the game, but I have far too many games on my table right now to spend 40 hours reading short stories.

Not that I'm slamming you for doing it.

This has been the same for me, I was reading every single one (they are interesting) but there are so many and I noticed after being in Defiance Bay that I was skimming them more than actually taking my time to read and then I ended up just blatantly skipping a few.

So I wrapped up Act 2 a few days ago, and since then the urge to the return to the game has been nonexistent. I've never particularly enjoyed IE combat, and the blandness of the encounter design in this game hasn't helped, but I've slogged through fights because up to that point I was pretty invested in the story. Moreso the
unanswered questions surrounding the Saint's War
rather than
the main plot where the Big Bad is doing fiendish stuff in service of some as-yet-unrevealed master plan.
The problem is that
the two have been increasingly telegraphed to be related, and while I'm curious about the finer points of how they intertwine, there's aren't any story hooks at the moment that make me want to explore the third act city in order to finish the game.

So help me out GAF. Those of you who finished the game or are late into Act 3, are there any compelling story beats or side quests that I can get excited enough about to jump back in?

ACE 1991

Man, I really wish I had rolled a different class than a Paladin for my PC... I've been dumping my best gear on to Edar because he's simply been more effective at this role than my main.

Kinthalis

Banned
Just cleared out level 5 of old Nua's, but I noticed a particular room
Near the entrance to the large room where the drake nested, right next to the blood pool. It seems to have a door made out fo metal and it's closed. I thought I'd find a key on the drake or somehting, but no luck. I've stealthed around looking for secret levelrs as well, but nothing. Am I missing something?

Kinthalis

Banned
It could be revived. There should be many more people able to discuss it now.

Yeah, I'm staying far awya from that thread for now, but wil definitely read it once I'm through. I've played for 45 hours so far though and Im still in Act 2, so I doubt I'll be done before next week sometime!

Nordicus

This has been the same for me, I was reading every single one (they are interesting) but there are so many and I noticed after being in Defiance Bay that I was skimming them more than actually taking my time to read and then I ended up just blatantly skipping a few.
There's only so many medieval fantasy action scenes of either mage or warrior variety, or charming gentleman thievery scenes that I can take in one sitting.

Some of the best or unique stuff was usually so short that I barely had to scroll to read the whole thing.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i asked before but got no response. To anyone that got one of those 3 for $60 keys from before the game launched and has activated it on Steam.. did you get the achievement for being a backer?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
There's only so many medieval fantasy action scenes of either mage or warrior variety, or charming gentleman thievery scenes that I can take in one sitting.

Some of the best or unique stuff was usually so short that I barely had to scroll to read the whole thing.

I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't one hidden away that is just straight up deviantart-tier sonic the hedgehog fanfic. A single unique blue orlan or something.

i asked before but got no response. To anyone that got one of those 3 for $60 keys from before the game launched and has activated it on Steam.. did you get the achievement for being a backer?

I can't confirm, but I strongly believe that to be the case. The extra keys purchased by backers were identical in function/content to the single key you got as a backer.

Alavard

I wonder how they'll do the expansion. I know they've referenced the size of Tales of the Sword Coast (the BG1 expansion), but do we think it will be done that way - a separate set of areas you go to before the main final dungeon? Because I don't see how they could go it like the BG2 expansion due to (not a plot spoiler, but a minor spoiler for the style of the Pillars ending):
there being an epilogue about all the game's locations and your party members and what they do

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I can't confirm, but I strongly believe that to be the case. The extra keys purchased by backers were identical in function/content to the single key you got as a backer.
Thanks. im trying to get a better handle on the numbers and was curious if that could be an issue.

I wonder how they'll do the expansion. I know they've referenced the size of Tales of the Sword Coast (the BG1 expansion), but do we think it will be done that way - a separate set of areas you go to before the main final dungeon? Because I don't see how they could go it like the BG2 expansion due to (not a plot spoiler, but a minor spoiler for the style of the Pillars ending):
there being an epilogue about all the game's locations and your party members and what they do
Iirc they said it was going to be in the style of TotSC which to me means an add-on and an add-in.

How does experience get divided between party members? I'm using a four man party and am assuming they will level up quicker than if I had six. Are the characters I leave at the stronghold getting a share of quest experience? Do they slow down the exp gain of my used party?

Ourobolus

Banned
Just cleared out level 5 of old Nua's, but I noticed a particular room
Near the entrance to the large room where the drake nested, right next to the blood pool. It seems to have a door made out fo metal and it's closed. I thought I'd find a key on the drake or somehting, but no luck. I've stealthed around looking for secret levelrs as well, but nothing. Am I missing something?

If it's the room I'm thinking of, there should be a hidden switch just above it.

Nordicus

I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't one hidden away that is just straight up deviantart-tier sonic the hedgehog fanfic. A single unique blue orlan or something.
I bet there's at least one about a dark-skinned, white-haired elf dual-wielding scimitars

I stopped clicking them about half-way through Defiance Bay. Eventually you read so many that they really do start to read like this:
scott_the_hedgehog_by_smosh_4evrr-d4zrpan.jpg

Almighty

I didn't get one of the 3 for $60, but I did buy one at $25 for my brother and he did get the backer achievement.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oh, I know, but god damn does it sometimes not feel like it.
Theyve never felt childish or trite to me. My problem with them is that they are just stories and stop the flow of gameplay. They are just fluff. Fluff is fine but i have to be in the mood for it. If they ever revisit this in an expac or a sequel id like there to be a kind of investigation element to them like the Sensorium Stones from Torment.

I didn't get one of the 3 for $60, but I did buy one at $25 for my brother and he did get the backer achievement.
Thanks for this info. So i guess that puts to bed the question as to whether those cheaper keys are considered backer or not for sales numbers. Thanks again.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Theyve never felt childish or trite to me. My problem with them is that they are just stories and stop the flow of gameplay. They are just fluff. Fluff is fine but i have to be in the mood for it.

Yeah, that's why I stopped reading them. They aren't inherently bad or silly or anything like that, they just have no bearing on anything. All the little lore books you can find actually expand upon the world at large and describe specific events in the history of the world, whereas the backer characters are entirely self-contained "fire and forget" stories.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah, that's why I stopped reading them. They aren't inherently bad or silly or anything like that, they just have no bearing on anything. All the little lore books you can find actually expand upon the world at large and describe specific events in the history of the world, whereas the backer characters are entirely self-contained "fire and forget" stories.
i plan to use them for replays. When i got to Dyrwood i made a decision to stop reading them. The next game i go through there ill read them. Then save Twin Elms/other places for further playthroughs.

Nordicus

Theyve never felt childish or trite to me. My problem with them is that they are just stories and stop the flow of gameplay. They are just fluff. Fluff is fine but i have to be in the mood for it. If they ever revisit this in an expac or a sequel id like there to be a kind of investigation element to them like the Sensorium Stones from Torment.
A thing I want in the expansion, perhaps even patch 1.05, is a part of the journal that records the memories immediately so I don't personally have to memorize the locations of all the memories I haven't read.

Like, I've read very few of the in-game books, but, I have every single one of them in my stash and haven't sold even a copy. I'll read them when I get in the mood.

Keeping it as broad as possible but there are definitely a whole bunch of different endings available, so its cool to see how everyone's worlds end up and also their general feelings on the story.

Looking forward to more people being able to participate as they wrap it up.

Curiou about what you all did during the tower quest on act 2.
Did you destroyd the device and sacrificed the souls or stopped it and released the souls?

Xiraiya

Keeping it as broad as possible but there are definitely a whole bunch of different endings available, so its cool to see how everyone's worlds end up and also their general feelings on the story.

Looking forward to more people being able to participate as they wrap it up.
I'm surprised no one has posted their Biographies, that feature is really cool.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Curiou about what you all did during the tower quest on act 2.
Did you destroyd the device and sacrificed the souls or stopped it and released the souls?

I
did stop and release. I've tried to minimize destruction as much as possible.

I mean, for a guy that leaves a wake of death and destruction wherever I go, I do

Annubis

Man, I really wish I had rolled a different class than a Paladin for my PC... I've been dumping my best gear on to Edar because he's simply been more effective at this role than my main.

Technically, it's advantageous to have a Paladin or Priest PC as opposed to other classes in the sense that you get the boost from your attitude matching your order.

Brohan

I just got to Raedric's holds sanctuary.. are there any cons if i just kill my way through this area instead of sneaking?

infi

Out of all the ending stuff,
Gilded Vale's fate
was my favorite.
Oh you killed the evil tyrant that killed children and mothers and made the good (although sleazy) guy the new ruler? Well fuck you, zombie Raedric is here to wreck shit and you're pretty much responsible for everyone's death

I kept expecting happy or at least neutral resolutions to everything so I was actually happily surprised to see that the game had a lot of depressing and sad stuff going on. Which sounds kind of morbid, I guess, but it's nice to have sad and heartbreaking stories too now and then.

You can go back and kill zombie Raedric in Act III. A guy in the Twin Elms inn will give you a mission to go back there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Man, these load times are killing me. Is there anything I can do to improve them?

I have 16 GB ram on a 3ghz i5 processor running Win7, 960 gpu, and it takes 6-12 seconds to load a city map and 5-8 to load any other map.

Man, these load times are killing me. Is there anything I can do to improve them?

I have 16 GB ram on a 3ghz i5 processor running Win7, 960 gpu, and it takes 6-12 seconds to load a city map and 5-8 to load any other map.

There is a mod that disables autosaving and it really helps. I'm not sure if it's working with the latest patch though.

My loads were about the same, and my specs are completely different from yours. Unity's a horrible engine. IIRC the one thing you can do is hack the game to disable per-area autosaves; I think someone earlier in the thread outlined how to do it.

D&D has also done away with that in 5th edition, making it actually worthwhile to play any class from 1-20. The power of 1 level dips and most classes becoming useless after 5 levels were my biggest annoyances with 3.5. It's still not as freeform as PoE, but it is much friendlier and smoother than before. If Sword Coast Legends actually uses 5th edition fully, it could be pretty fun.

PoE does also seem to pick up on a few other elements of 4th and 5th, but most of them are probably more about overall playability rather than just outright borrowing.

Sword Coast Legends? This is the first I'm hearing of it. Is there any hype behind the game or are people assuming its going to be bad?

Taborcarn

Thinking about rerolling my Monk for a Rogue. Between life getting in the way and waiting for patches I only have been able to play for a handful of hours, but I'm not in love with the playstyle. I think I'd rather go for pure damage than waiting to get beat on first then using abilities.

Violet_0

Banned
Thinking about rerolling my Monk for a Rogue. Between life getting in the way and waiting for patches I only have been able to play for a handful of hours, but I'm not in love with the playstyle. I think I'd rather go for pure damage than waiting to get beat on first then using abilities.

my lvl 9 monk is basically an auto-attacking assassin (PotD). I haven't tried rogue yet and apparently they are currently broken but a might/dex fist monk with the 5% damage increase per wound should do quite a bit of damage, they just take a while to get going

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Sword Coast Legends? This is the first I'm hearing of it. Is there any hype behind the game or are people assuming its going to be bad?

Dude, I just found out about the game today. It looks SUPER sweet. For one, it's another RTwP party RPG, so huzzah! For my further frothing over something I didn't know existed, please to visit the thread posted above.

I'm really excited for it.

Yeah, my monk has defeated the most enemies, done the most damage, gotten the most crits, gotten the most hits, and taken the most damage... but still hasn't been knocked out as often as Aloth.

Monks need some warm up time. Towards the mid game, you can keep 10 Wounds without it taking a huge chunk of your health and do a ton of damage.

The early game was tough though. I survived largely via the backer healing ring and regeneration potions. And Eder. Hiding behind Eder was a large part of my early game. Still got enough damage to use abilities, but not enough to get knocked out.

Also, its important to note that you can use regular weapons. Most of the early weapons won't be as good as monk fists, but if you want a special ability (like spirit slaying), it's pretty decent to go that way for certain fights.

Top Bottom