• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Nordicus

Anyone else think Cipher Mind Blades haven't in fact been nerfed at all, just that the tooltip shows lower damage now? I keep dealing ~30DMG at times even without critting, and Grieving Mother doesn't have that much might

PrimeRib_

Anyone else using Durante's ingenious GeDoSa application to make this game pop? Playing at 7K resolution seems to completely eliminate sword jaggies - makes indoor scenes really come alive. Or do my eyes deceive me?

Man, these load times are killing me. Is there anything I can do to improve them?

I have 16 GB ram on a 3ghz i5 processor running Win7, 960 gpu, and it takes 6-12 seconds to load a city map and 5-8 to load any other map.
Apparently 1.04 takes some steps to improve save/load times, but I don't think it's live yet.

Violet_0

Banned
Yeah, my monk has defeated the most enemies, done the most damage, gotten the most crits, gotten the most hits, and taken the most damage... but still hasn't been knocked out as often as Aloth.

did you get the interrupting wave for every wound talent? I'm still not sure what to think of it or if it's any useful at all

Anyone else using Durante's ingenious GeDoSa application to make this game pop? Playing at 7K resolution seems to completely eliminate sword jaggies - makes indoor scenes really come alive. Or do my eyes deceive me?
I need to look into this, but I've never downsampled anything and I am scared it will be complicated.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm tempted but hesitant. I loved Baldur's Gate. I thought I would love Divinity: Original Sin, but I kind of lost interest after a little while with that one (though may go back). Help push me over the edge?

hemtae

I'm tempted but hesitant. I loved Baldur's Gate. I thought I would love Divinity: Original Sin, but I kind of lost interest after a little while with that one (though may go back). Help push me over the edge?

Well this is pretty much better than BG1 in every way and uses the same combat system to boot.

Violet_0

Banned

- real-time with pause combat (yes, that's positive fight me)
- Obsidian writing

Taborcarn

my lvl 9 monk is basically an auto-attacking assassin (PotD). I haven't tried rogue yet and apparently they are currently broken but a might/dex fist monk with the 5% damage increase per wound should do quite a bit of damage, they just take a while to get going

Yeah, my monk has defeated the most enemies, done the most damage, gotten the most crits, gotten the most hits, and taken the most damage... but still hasn't been knocked out as often as Aloth.

Monks need some warm up time. Towards the mid game, you can keep 10 Wounds without it taking a huge chunk of your health and do a ton of damage.

The early game was tough though. I survived largely via the backer healing ring and regeneration potions. And Eder. Hiding behind Eder was a large part of my early game. Still got enough damage to use abilities, but not enough to get knocked out.

Also, its important to note that you can use regular weapons. Most of the early weapons won't be as good as monk fists, but if you want a special ability (like spirit slaying), it's pretty decent to go that way for certain fights.

Thanks guys, I may give the monk a little more of a shot before restarting.

Violet_0

Banned

get the peasant weapon focus (+ accuracy to fists and some other weapons) and two-weapon style (faster attack rate) talents when you can

and a priest with the level II healing circle to babysit them

erragal

Anyone else think Cipher Mind Blades haven't in fact been nerfed at all, just that the tooltip shows lower damage now? I keep dealing ~30DMG at times even without critting, and Grieving Mother doesn't have that much might

The nerf wasn't to raw damage but it got cast speed bumped from fast to average. Prior to the nerf it was obscenely quick to cast and you could fire off three of them in the space of other less party safe aoes. It's still a strong spell that doesn't have any positional concessions needed for proper usage.

I think encounter design also tends to make Mind Blades the most obvious fire and forget AoE attack there is. "Oh, another swarm of similar enemies. Mind Blades. Don't even have to aim."

I'm gunna back those guys up and say that my monk is a total wrecking ball. They definitely take a while to hit their stride but once they do they're amazing. Mine is an off-tank/DD, with pretty good crowd control.

Hanging around in The Goose and Fox <3. I dared to steal from a room in the back (which kinda goes against the RP due to my PC being a good guy but I guess he just happens to have kleptomania when nobody is around) but I wouldn't dare even go near the lootspot behind Bishop's back :lol.

_DrMario_

Just got my Collector's Edition Guide and the Guidebook Volume One.

Some high quality stuff.

Guidebook Volume One is def worth the price.

I tried it for a bit, but ended up not using it because of how annoyingly blurry it made the game's UI. That said, it was a improvement over simply forcing SSAA from the control panel.

great, found a nasty post-patch bug: when I brought back kana and aloth into the party all their items are gone except the equipped ones. all the fucking grimoires are gone. pellegina still has everything, oddly.

Cerato

Neo Member
That level 2 healing circle is a game changer.

It's also pretty helpful to hotkey your squads. I put my frontline on '1', my backline on '2', and my priest on '3', because he's generally the most valuable character to control at the outset of any fight.

Kimaka

Really tempted to go to the Doemenel's house and murder them all. Fuckers sending thugs after me and attacked my keep.

MartyStu

That level 2 healing circle is a game changer.

It's also pretty helpful to hotkey your squads. I put my frontline on '1', my backline on '2', and my priest on '3', because he's generally the most valuable character to control at the outset of any fight.

On PotD? Otherwise, I find him to be borderline useless. I am seriously considering replacement.

Even on PotD, I am still not a big fan.

Evilmaus

So, I just completed my first optional quest "Buried Secrets" in the Gilded Vale.

While this must clearly be a very, very low level quest as it's right at the start of the game, I have to say I was thoroughly engrossed and immersed in the experience. Slowly edging my way forward through the old temple, searching for secret passages, traps and treasure; it was everything I love about RPG's.

I found myself thoroughly examining every book and note I came across for clues on what might lay ahead, and insight to the game's world in general. One tale that caught my attention in particular was that of The Great Western Stag. In such a well-realised gameworld, I can't help but wonder if it actually exists, and if I could potentially track it down.

I won't spoil the quest by going into detail about what I found in the temple, but slowly piecing things together and bringing the quest to a close was extremely satisfying.

All-in-all, while I'm finding this game very challenging, I feel like I'm in no rush to burn through the main story. I'm happy to take my time and discover the interesting world that's been created here.

I don't think I have a solid grasp on all of the mechanics just yet, so I might watch a few tutorials on YouTube or something, but the fact that I'm willing to read deeper into how this game is played and the lore surrounding it, rather than get frustrated and dismiss it, is a massive compliment, in my opinion.

Labadal

Patch betas on Steam.

In other uninteresting news, I have completed 8 levels of Od Nua, all bounties I can find and almost every side quest available to me in act 2 that I know of.('ve been tunning with the same party almost the entire time. I bring the reserves along on very few occasions. I will probably change party members a bit more often to hear party banter and do their quests. I'm thinking on going with three tanks instead of my current two.

I entered the Searing Falls and cleared everything but the cave. I can already guess what's down there.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, uhhh...have I done something wrong in Eder's quest?
It just kinda....ended. I found a ring, was able to see his brother talk to a guy but didn't hear what they said. And now it basically says "Eder will never know anything and everything you did was meaningless - Quest completed - "
Was I supposed to do something else? Or will something happen later to advance it? I can't just end there, right?

KarmaCow

It just kinda....ended. I found a ring, was able to see his brother talk to a guy but didn't hear what they said. And now it basically says "Eder will never know anything and everything you did was meaningless - Quest completed - "
Was I supposed to do something else? Or will something happen later to advance it? I can't just end there, right?

The quest ends but Eder will still have things to say about it.

I think it says a lot about how formulaic companion sidequests have become that this one is throwing people. I think it's really well-written.

KarmaCow

Huh....that's kinda disappointing.
And when I say "kinda" I mean "really"

Just keep talking to him when he has something to say.
The quest completing isn't the end of your interactions with him.

I think it says a lot about how formulaic companion sidequests have become that this one is throwing people. I think it's really well-written.

At the same time
it doesn't seem like Eder puts two and two together about Waidwen either even if it isn't ultimately the point

I seem to've grazed my hirelings with a fireball or something. They're angry at me all of the time now, and I hate paying to replace their gibbed corpses every time I revisit the keep.

Dmax3901

So I was playing this downsampled with Gedosato an then it updated and now it's all messed up and downsampling twice and won't let me select the smaller 16:10 resolutions I had set up with it :(

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I can't seem to get the stronghold achievement or the dragons achievement to fire retroactively by just loading a save, now that they've supposedly been fixed. Hmm. Not that it matters or anything of course. ;b

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I can't seem to get the stronghold achievement or the dragons achievement to fire retroactively by just loading a save, now that they've supposedly been fixed. Hmm. Not that it matters or anything of course. ;b

Map achievement is busted too.

Twin Elms is.. an interesting place.
I think I like it more than Defiance Bay, love the peaceful atmosphere there.

I thought as well. I loaded different save several times and confirmed that there's nothing that I can do about it.
He said some more lines about it later though.

Sou Da

Anyone make a Knight pc yet?

Several achievements don't work for me, including the 'finished act' achievements

Are you getting a steady 60 FPS? Been having a lot of performance issues as the game doesn't seem to be using my card to its full ability as I play longer sessions. Weird memory leak I guess?

Dsyndrome

Did Obsidian figure out the cause of the Grimoire Slam "Already Activated" bug? Aloth's affected by it and I just got the ability.

Varna

Whoever said you can hit enemies just fine in PotD... Yeah right.

I've done everything I can at this point to get my 2-Handed fighter to hit enemies (fine weapon, acc skill and weapon focus) and he is still not really hitting consistently.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I like how your party members can affect side quests, like the
Grieving Mother for Blood Legacy
and
Kana for The Farmer's Plight
in Act II. I appreciated the options they gave me instead of the other ones I've heard about.

I'm still in the beginning of Act III because I haven't been able to play in a week, but it seems like it's a good thing since the game seems bugged even worse with the newest patch?

Act 2 Wailling Banshee spoiler
that ambush right at the first floor, I wasn't expecting that. At least my party is level 7 so they won't be too much trouble.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Act 2 Wailling Banshee spoiler
that ambush right at the first floor, I wasn't expecting that. At least my party is level 7 so they won't be too much trouble.
2nd floor spoiler
you can avoid combat on the second floor entirely if you sneak straight for the staircase
, but at that level you should be fine. It's still a pain though

From the posts here and elsewhere it seems that Barbarian is by far the least played class in the game. Not that surprised but I am a bit surprised by the apparent lack of Priest players. Clerics/Priests are always great in these types of games and I would definately considered it as my second option if Wizards didn't exist. And D&D types of Clerics I always have found way more fun than Paladins and AFAIK you can definately play as a ''warrior type'' Cleric even if not exactly an optimal for tanking jobs. Paladins always have seemed to me a more boring version of a ''BG type cleric''.

Any Barbarian players here? I extremely rarely play a full melee class in games like this but I would have definately taken Barb over Fighter/Paladin.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Any Barbarian players here? I extremely rarely play a full melee class in games like this but I would have definately taken Barb over Fighter/Paladin.
i love it. i just wait for a swarm of enemies to bunch around my tank and then i switch from pistol to 2h and hit like 10 guys at once. i have a weapon that Prones on crit. Its glorious.

2nd floor spoiler
you can avoid combat on the second floor entirely if you sneak straight for the staircase
, but at that level you should be fine. It's still a pain though

I just steamrolled through the second floor now I need to find a way to deal with
Lilith
. She
doesn't attack me on sight so there must be another resolution involving the chest I can't open

Top Bottom