• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

duckroll

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=13434

You'll probably want to be looking at the rushed category.

This seems pretty useless when you look at how few people have actually been polled for this. Only 14 reports, and the results are completely inconsistent. The "Completionist" section is shorter than everything else because only one person has reported on that, and the average times for "just Main Quest" is actually longer than "Main Quest + Sidequests".

There just isn't enough data on the site for this game yet.

So after being stuck at the character generations screen for more than a week I finally had a chance to play the game and I have two questions.

1) I am playing on Hard difficulty but the first fights at the camp site were super easy. That can't really be representative, right?

2) Heodan
dies for me with no other options in the dialogue than to let him fend for himself. Was there any way to save him
?

2) I was able to save him by
throwing my weapon, a spear, at the enemy

So after being stuck at the character generations screen for more than a week I finally had a chance to play the game and I have two questions.

1) I am playing on Hard difficulty but the first fights at the camp site were super easy. That can't really be representative, right?

The difficulty of the first two hours seems to vary with your starting class as much as the actual difficulty setting. You'll find a more challenging stretch soon, but if you complete most sidequests then hard mode will not keep up with your party's capabilities.

2) Heodan
dies for me with no other options in the dialogue than to let him fend for himself. Was there any way to save him
?

That dialogue sequence can go other ways.

I've played the beginning with a variety of characters and never not had an option of some kind, usually either to
throw my weapon or throw a rock

Dennis

Banned
The difficulty of the first two hours seems to vary with your starting class as much as the actual difficulty setting. You'll find a more challenging stretch soon, but if you complete most sidequests then hard mode will not keep up with your party's capabilities.

Really? I thought this was supposed to be old school.

Did I fuck up by choosing Hard?

Should I be playing on the hardest difficulty setting?

I have to start the game over then, right?

Dennis

Banned
Enjoy thinking about how you could have saved him with your great intellect but being unable to actually execute it due to the lack of reaction speed! :)

That is very helpful, duckroll my friend.

My intelligence is 19. Bet you thought 18 was max but I broke the scale.

Ala Alba

2) Heodan
?

There are a lot of dialogue options that leave him wounded, and only a few that kill him (and very few that get him uninjured).

In the following scripted sequence, as long as you're equipped with some weapon
or have 15 dexterity
you can pick the obvious option to save him.

Dennis

Banned
There are a lot of dialogue options that leave him wounded, and only a few that kill him (and very few that get him uninjured).

In the following scripted sequence, as long as you're equipped with some weapon
or have 15 dexterity
you can pick the obvious option to save him.

What dialogue though? That scripted events happens without any dialogue with Heodan.

Really? I thought this was supposed to be old school.

Did I fuck up by choosing Hard?

Should I be playing on the hardest difficulty setting?

I have to start the game over then, right?

I think hard is right for a first playthrough. What I said about the difficulty not keeping up may be colored by my experience of the last quarter of the game. I am also (in my estimation) a pretty average player and have not touched Path of the Damned, so I can't really comment on it.

Ala Alba

What dialogue though? That scripted events happens without any dialogue with Heodan.

It's not really spoilers,
but when you get back to camp, the enemy leader will talk to you. This dialogue option has 3 outcomes: 1) Heodan dies 2) Heodan lives, but is injured 3) Heodan lives without injury. If you have 19 intelligence, one of the dialogue options will allow you to get option 3.

Following this dialogue is a fight. Once the enemies are dead, you get a scripted sequence (text-based descriptions of some action). In this sequence, you will have 2-3 options. The wrong choice should be pretty obvious.

I hope that helps.

ACE 1991

Is there a place in Defiance Bay I can get basic equipment for the belt, feet and hands slots? I'm like 10 hours in and most of my part members don't have anything equipped.

duckroll

Is there a place in Defiance Bay I can get basic equipment for the belt, feet and hands slots? I'm like 10 hours in and most of my part members don't have anything equipped.

What do you mean by "basic equipment" though? Other than armor for damage reduction and weapons for damage, the other slots don't automatically offer any advantages. There are no normal boots or gloves which add to damage reduction. Any boots, gloves, or belts you want to wear give special properties depending on the equipment (stat boosts, extra abilities, etc).

You can do a quest for the trainer at the Expedition Hall to get access to the shop there, which does have magical equipment for those slots, but they're not cheap. Doing a quest for the Crucible Knights will also make the forge shop available.

ACE 1991

What do you mean by "basic equipment" though? Other than armor for damage reduction and weapons for damage, the other slots don't automatically offer any advantages. There are no normal boots or gloves which add to damage reduction. Any boots, gloves, or belts you want to wear give special properties depending on the equipment (stat boosts, extra abilities, etc).

You can do a quest for the trainer at the Expedition Hall to get access to the shop there, which does have magical equipment for those slots, but they're not cheap. Doing a quest for the Crucible Knights will also make the forge shop available.

I actually started this quest with that in mind. I didn't realize that these slots didn't offer DR, thanks for the heads up.

Just purchased this game and the download should be done in 20 minutes. Any tips?

If you see a bear, RUN!!!

Though if you're a ranger with a bear, I dunno what to say. I guess you win?

Late Edit:
Game crashed literally the moment after I defeated
Thaos

I'm pretty mad.
Not gonna lie, I was concerned it was going to do the same to me. The framerate I get in PoE is horrible considering how basic the graphics are... I had similar issues in Wasteland 2, which is also a Unity game.

I can hardly wait to see what horrors the expansions unleash on you. I bet it'll be great!

Burt

So now the other starting companion Calisca is
also dead.

This is going well.

o78k5fogx5g3hdy6peai.jpeg

I don't know if it's as much rushed as just being spoiled in Defiance Bay by being not being able to walk very far without stumbling into a quest.

Personally I prefer only one big sidequest hub in an RPG. When I get to the back part of a game I usually just want to finish at that point. So I have no issue with Twin Elms having a lot less content than Defiance Bay.

SO is there an average length if you're just doing the main missions.....on easy.

I'm not sure about average length. But you could mainline this game on easy in 10-15 hours very easily.

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=13434

You'll probably want to be looking at the rushed category.
Those numbers are utterly insane. The main story alone is nowhere near 60 hours. I beat the whole game on hard doing most of the quests besides Old Nua in around 30 hours. Though I did rush through chapter 3.

Those numbers are utterly insane. The main story alone is nowhere near 60 hours. I beat the whole game on hard doing most of the quests besides Old Nua in around 30 hours. Though I did rush through chapter 3.

Not that I think that the main story is the 60 hours but Pillars is going to have a very huge divergence in playtime based on whether you defaulted to Fast Speed most of the time, whether you spent a lot of time sneaking, whether you used Slow Mode in most combats, etc.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's found
at the start of the game, right where you pick up the water skin, hidden near a tent. It has an interesting flavor text.

Really? I found it on the bottom of the Endless Paths. Not much of a reward for killing the boss in there.

Blizzard

Banned
hope they patch out xaurip spears, shields, staves, tongues, etc.

hell, just patch out xaurips.
Patching our xaurip skirmisher stunlock would be a nice start. :p

I'm still bitter about POTD having
a xaurip at the start of the bridge so you get instantly jumped and potentially killed if you go there solo

It's found
at the start of the game, right where you pick up the water skin, hidden near a tent. It has an interesting flavor text.
Amusingly, it used to have two uses, and Obsidian couldn't stand for that:

It was worth a lot of money if you sold it to Heodan, and you could later enchant it which would override the Terrible quality. Now it's worth hardly anything and you can't fix the quality.

Top Bottom