• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

IIRC
Grieving Mother would make the girl forget. She'd forget that she's supposed to go crazy and kill her uncle or whatever. She would forget that she was abducted by the cult of Skaen and all the subsequent horrible ritual stuff done to her. She would then be free to live her life as if it didn't happen. Far as I understand, aside from the unsavoury family stuff, she would live a decent life. It was really the best option.

Oh, I just murdered everyone instead, LOL
For my second playthrough, I'm trying to figure out which class/weapon combo would have the fastest attacks. First time through I was a Aumaua Paladin wielding a great sword most of the time - slow as heck. This time through, I want something that is as fast as possible. Damage strength won't matter so much as long as I can hit and hit and hit - just to see the results. Monk maybe? Any ideas?
Sounds like you're looking for a melee rogue.

IIRC
Grieving Mother would make the girl forget. She'd forget that she's supposed to go crazy and kill her uncle or whatever. She would forget that she was abducted by the cult of Skaen and all the subsequent horrible ritual stuff done to her. She would then be free to live her life as if it didn't happen. Far as I understand, aside from the unsavoury family stuff, she would live a decent life. It was really the best option.

Thanks
I was prompted by the Grieving Mother and she said like "Don't let this happen, I can help her. So I wasn't sure if you meant stop the girl from walking away, or what

Retaliation question
I've heard there are 4 pieces in the game, does anyone know how to get the clock? Or where you can get Vengiatta Rugia?

For my second playthrough, I'm trying to figure out which class/weapon combo would have the fastest attacks. First time through I was a Aumaua Paladin wielding a great sword most of the time - slow as heck. This time through, I want something that is as fast as possible. Damage strength won't matter so much as long as I can hit and hit and hit - just to see the results. Monk maybe? Any ideas?
Double dagger rogue with Two weapon Style is probably your best bet.

Don't do it. It's already been discussed. The so-called controversy is really overblown when both sides - Obsidian and the backer - agreed to the change.

Crap. Too late. I tried searching for threads, but only found kick-starter related discussions.

Oh well. It'll probably die quickly.

Raphael

Oh, I just murdered everyone instead, LOL

Sounds like you're looking for a melee rogue.

Melee rogues just chop down fools. It's so great I'm not even sure who to play on my second playthrough as I feel it will be subpar.

You just have to watch out for the agro of the 90-150 dmg hits.

Well, it's lower for a at least half way through, but still You get into this ballpark for a sginificant part of the game. Depends also on the enemy.

Blizzard

Banned
the shapeshifting ability becomes weak midgame, it's poorly balanced

people have been successful with rogues and barbarians, one guy apparently got the triple crown achievement with a stealth rogue
The only barbarian report I saw had to use an actual game bug (
you can apparently reset your autoattack to attack at crazy speeds
) for the final battle.

The rogue person said they were able to do it with shadowing beyond and running around very fast, but I don't think they had a video and didn't seem to want to send their save file to Obsidian (who had requested it if anyone got solo triple crown) as far as I saw.

longdi

Banned
I got bored with DA:O and even BG2.
BG2 interests me longer than DA:O though.
I played through PST, and grown fond of my party members despite the game scale being a rather small affair.

Should i buy this game now, or wait for Steam sales?

Labadal

I played through PST, and grown fond of my party members despite the game scale being a rather small affair.

From your description? Wait for a sale.

Raphael

Buy it right now. It takes the best from all of those worlds. The writting may not be PST tier, scale of the world is not BG2 tier, but it's the best overall IMO. It's GOTY material for sure.

EDIT: Oh, and for me, the party members are the best part of the game. Eder is the best bro You can think of.

EDIT2: And besides Obsidian deserves Your money more than anyone for this effort. I should not really comment on this as I got it for free from Noivern's giveaway (thanks a lot dude!), but I will make sure to buy every single DLC there is. It has it's flaws, but it's still that good.

aravuus

I enjoyed it a lot more than BG2 and a bit more than DA:O so I dunno, if you're not particularly low on cash, I think you should give the game a try.

Chaos17

If you're not sure, It hink you can wait, so maybe there will be more patches/upgrades/mods make your experience better.

hemtae

It's been a few days since I finished and I've gathered my thoughts about it and let the hype recede.

Dislikes

-The engagement system. The game is probably better off with it than it is without it but I think that’s just because it was designed with that in mind in the first place and that it causes just as many problems as it solves. I think it was made to alleviate the issues of frontline control in the IE games which is a noble goal. There are times in the IE games where I put a few people in front a door thinking they’ve been placed perfectly one for an enemy to push my guys out of the way and beat on my squishy team members. That problem doesn’t really exist with the engagement system but it also does away with a large amount of moment-to-moment planning in combat. Instead focus is shifted towards the positioning before the fight begins. If things go well the first few seconds of the fight, then great and you can pretty much keep doing what you’re doing but if things don’t, then it’s really hard to right the ship when your characters are attached to a complex series of engagement tethers.

-Itemization. It isn’t really bad so much as it’s really boring. The unique items are fine by themselves I suppose, the problem is that the enchantment system lets you create items that are pretty much on par with the unique items so without combat XP, the only reason to explore and clear out areas and dungeons is because it was in the quest log. Dragon Age: Inquisition had a somewhat similar problem with itemization in that its crafting system made all the other items completely obsolete but it had a more robust crafting system. Its other problem was that items could be boiled down to one stat and were class-restricted unlike Pillars of Eternity but whatever. Underrail does itemization right with a robust crafting system like DA: I but without the MMO-esque gathering of ingredients, and it also has the great unique items unlike Pillars of Eternity.

-Encounter design. Like itemization, it isn’t terrible just boring. It isn’t Dragon Age: Origins levels of trash mobs everywhere that required no thought or god forbid Dragon Age 2’s wave based encounters that trivialized positioning but it definitely isn’t at Baldur’s Gate 2 level of encounters. The engagement system has some blame here since it shifted focus to the opening part of combat instead of any moment-to-moment planning so encounters are all mostly defeated with the same strategy leading to it feeling the same. Then there is Sawyer’s dislike of hard counters which I feel turns effects that would necessitate a strategy change into something that’s more of a mild annoyance. It’s due to this reason that I think the fampyr fights are some of the best in the game which, until I got the level six priest spells, was basically trying to kill them before they could charm multiple members of the party.

-The stronghold. This is the only one that I think is truly bad through and through. During the documentary video, Sawyer said they were kind of making things up as they go along and it does look like they didn’t really have a good idea of how to fit in the stronghold in this game. Outside of the stronghold, only one character to my knowledge even acknowledges you as owner of it. It seems to serve three purposes to me none of which justifies it. It’s a place of free rest with a small bonus. It’s a money sink but doesn’t get you much. Certainly a really good item could be made that costs however much money all the upgrades cost. It’s a place where you can gather your companions which probably could have just as easily been done in the same way as the companions that are created at an inn. Then the prison and breakout system was woefully underused.

-Story and writing niggles. Generally speaking, the story and writing were well above average for video games and RPGs even if it wasn’t at the level of Planescape: Torment or Mask of the Betrayer but there were still some stuff that annoyed me.
The main drive behind the story is finding a man with answers about who you were to avoid going crazy which is an inevitable side effect of being a Watcher. To show that, there are a few times where your companions will initiate dialogue telling you how poorly you slept. Yet, I would still have no fatigue and no sort of penalty or anything to show that was the case. What is also weird is that this is a problem Obsidian has already solved before with the Spirit meter in Mask of the Betrayer. That system had stat penalties the closer you got towards zero and showed clearly the degenerative effect of the curse placed on you. It also had the added benefit of preventing rest spamming. Then there was the very end of Act 2. The trial part was very well done I thought with people reacting to your dispositions and who you were invited with and what you were saying. But then none of that really has a gameplay effect as Thaos kills the Duc with an ability you knew about but couldn’t say, the city riots and destroys the Sanitarium, and the Hadret House gets completely destroyed and there’s nothing to do about anything. Yay for plot railroads.

-Character System. First I have to thank Obsidian for not falling into the whole modern trap of good character customization means having a face editor with a bazillion options and then nothing else. The attributes are well designed and support a wide range of builds even if they seem unintuitive at first. Every build within a class isn’t equally effective, which I think was never really the point, but there are more viable builds within the classes than the IE games. The skills system also allows for a wider range in party composition. A rogue is no longer required (as evidenced by the fact that there’s no rogue companions) since anybody can put points into mechanics and then disarm traps and open locks. The talents further the ability to build viable characters from an unconventional attribute spread although the lack of metamagic feats and a somewhat lackluster spell list might make wizards feel a bit dull. Lastly the endurance system and per encounter abilities reduced the need to rest spam while health, camping supplies and per rest abilities still kept some resource management.

-Roleplaying. While it may not have been used to its fullest potential regarding reactivity, the role playing system is still top notch. Attributes, skills, which god you follow, class, background, race, and culture are all checked in dialogue (the last two probably not enough). Then there are the dispositions and faction reputations you build up during the game and checked during some of the dialogue. Quest wise, it’s great. Even the simplest of quests often have the quest giver intentionally leaving out or giving misleading information or the quest will take a slight curve. There’s mostly never just a “be a good guy or a bad guy” resolution to it. That’s all while it incorporates the attributes, skills, reputation, and dispositions mentioned before and even if you pass those checks they aren’t always an instant win button. Then there are the choices that allowed me to flush out my characters back story. They don’t really have a gameplay purpose but it was nice to see them fill in my character’s biography.

I still agree with what I said before in that Pillars of Eternity is better than BG1 and modern Bioware's attempt at an IE revival with Dragon Age: Origins. It is still surpassed by Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, and Mask of the Betrayer but those aren't really bad games to have above you. Now that Obsidian has an engine, ruleset, and setting to work with, I'm expecting epic things from Pillars of Eternity 2.

Xiraiya

Raedric was easier than I expected even on hard.

I left his keep until last in Gilded Vale and had Eder, Durance, Kana and Aloth with me all at level 4, cleared out the Dungeon first and then tackled the keep from the vines after that and worked my way through all the guards, eventually his entire castle was cleaned out and then I placed my character at the main door leading into Raedric's hall, with Durance, Aloth and Kana behind me. I used Eder and the others to set up traps along the stairs and then while everyone was waiting at the main entrance, I had Eder use his warbow to trigger the fight and quickly run down to the door next to my character, so we were both ready to go. A couple of wizards ate shit on the traps and the surviving ones were pretty banged up, so my character and Eder faught the Paladins at the door while everyone bunched up behind them trying to reach us. From there I just had Durance buffing the Party and had Aloth and Kana firing shots at the mages behind the Paladins to pick them off, Kana would summon skeletons whenever he could and I used that horn figurine to have Durance summon an animat behind the enemies, the Animat distracted everyone for awhile and eventually it and Raedric had their own fight off to the side, eventually Raedric was the last enemy standing, so my party piled on to him.

It went way smoother than I thought it would and no one really lost any significant endurance, it was really fun.

Fun fact
Raedric is part of the Bleak Walkers

It's been a few days since I finished and I've gathered my thoughts about it and let the hype recede.

[immense post]

I still agree with what I said before in that Pillars of Eternity is better than BG1 and modern Bioware's attempt at an IE revival with Dragon Age: Origins. It is still surpassed by Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, and Mask of the Betrayer but those aren't really bad games to have above you. Now that Obsidian has an engine, ruleset, and setting to work with, I'm expecting epic things from Pillars of Eternity 2.

Your pros and cons are agreeable, though the encounter niggle doesn't make sense to me because it's just a cleaner implementation of D&D's Attack of Opportunity system. Anyways, I also agree that Pillars 2 should be fantastic.

FYI, there's a Pillars spoiler thread. I feel like you'd have good stuff to say there.

Kinthalis

Banned

Dislikes

-The engagement system. The game is probably better off with it than it is without it but I think that’s just because it was designed with that in mind in the first place and that it causes just as many problems as it solves. I think it was made to alleviate the issues of frontline control in the IE games which is a noble goal. There are times in the IE games where I put a few people in front a door thinking they’ve been placed perfectly one for an enemy to push my guys out of the way and beat on my squishy team members. That problem doesn’t really exist with the engagement system but it also does away with a large amount of moment-to-moment planning in combat. Instead focus is shifted towards the positioning before the fight begins. If things go well the first few seconds of the fight, then great and you can pretty much keep doing what you’re doing but if things don’t, then it’s really hard to right the ship when your characters are attached to a complex series of engagement tethers.

I don't think this is an issue with the engagement rules at all, actually. This is striclty an encounter design/AI issue.

The AI should be able to prioritize certian targets in certain circumstances, over not drawing an attack of opportunity. But it doesn't. As soon as an attack of opportunity becomes a possibility, that mob stays put.

Encouters where you have to contend with enemies coming at you from different sides are almost non existent. And there ar eonly a couple of creatures with abilities to bypass front line fighters, or who ar ewilling to target squishier NPC's with ranged weaponry.

jtb

Banned
I think people generally didn't like the Spirit mechanic in MOTB or at least that's what Obsidian thought. I didn't mind it, but it does become something of a nuisance.

El Topo

I think people generally didn't like the Spirit mechanic in MOTB or at least that's what Obsidian thought. I didn't mind it, but it does become something of a nuisance.

It was also buggy and/or really unbalanced when the game came out. I liked the mechanic, but it was at times difficult to plan ahead properly.

Altazor

It's finally here GAF :D

EL3QTie.jpg

Boof

I'm so conflicted whether or not to buy this game. I love RPG's but have never played Baldur's Gate or anything like that. Mostly a Final Fantasy/Dragon Age type of guy. Is this worth a buy at the price?

Labadal

I just beat my first dragon and did some actual progress on the main story in Defiance Bay.

I also did a faction quest for the
Crucible Kinghts. The forge knights wrecked them.
Is that the only quest I will get from them?

hemtae

Your pros and cons are agreeable, though the encounter niggle doesn't make sense to me because it's just a cleaner implementation of D&D's Attack of Opportunity system. Anyways, I also agree that Pillars 2 should be fantastic.

FYI, there's a Pillars spoiler thread. I feel like you'd have good stuff to say there.

The only other RTwP games I've played with AoO were the Neverwinter Nights games which weren't the best combat systems ever. D&D is turn based where AoO exist to approximate simultaneous action which isn't really necessary in real time games for obvious reasons.

Also I have posted in the spoiler thread :p. Most of my issues were with gameplay stuff so I posted it here but I'll post the story/writing thing there as well.

I don't think this is an issue with the engagement rules at all, actually. This is striclty an encounter design/AI issue.

The AI should be able to prioritize certian targets in certain circumstances, over not drawing an attack of opportunity. But it doesn't. As soon as an attack of opportunity becomes a possibility, that mob stays put.

Encouters where you have to contend with enemies coming at you from different sides are almost non existent. And there ar eonly a couple of creatures with abilities to bypass front line fighters, or who ar ewilling to target squishier NPC's with ranged weaponry.

An AI overhaul would probably make it a lot better (I think I got two disengagement attacks against enemies the whole game) but I'm not sure more ambush encounters would change things significantly. For me, it would just make it so I used two strategies to beat 90% of the encounters instead of 1.

famfrit

How big is the script of Pillars of Eternity ?

Reference for comparison:

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - 1.000.000 words

Planescape: Torment - 800.000 words

Dragon Age: Origins
• 1,000,000 Words
• 1,000 Cinematics
• 1,000 Characters
• 56,000 Spoken Lines
• 60 Hours of Gameplay

Dragon Age II
• 400,000 Words
• 2,500 Cinematics
• 500 Characters
• 38,000 Spoken Lines
• 40 Hours of Gameplay

JC Sera

• 1,000,000 Words
• 1,000 Cinematics
• 1,000 Characters
• 56,000 Spoken Lines
• 60 Hours of Gameplay

Dragon Age II
• 400,000 Words
• 2,500 Cinematics
• 500 Characters
• 38,000 Spoken Lines
• 40 Hours of Gameplay
Depends whether you count backer content or not I think

Dsyndrome

IEMod is a godsend. Fixed Aloth's "Already Activated" Grimoire Slam by removing and adding the ability. Thankfully it doesn't screw up achievements, gracias Nexusmod folks not looking at this!

Altazor

I'm so conflicted whether or not to buy this game. I love RPG's but have never played Baldur's Gate or anything like that. Mostly a Final Fantasy/Dragon Age type of guy. Is this worth a buy at the price?

it's obviously closer to Dragon Age than Final Fantasy... but it's also a good introduction to RTWP combat (and, generally, Infinity Engine-style games), especially because the presentation isn't as obscure or noob-unfriendly as the old IE games. It contains refinements on that formula and some changes that most hardcore RPG players would consider "casual pandering" or stuff like that. I'd say go for it, you can start out on "easy" to get the hang of it, learn how to position your party members, when to pause, etc.

Then again, if you're unsure, you can wait until the price goes down a little - but I don't know when that'll happen.

danthefan

Around how many hours is this game, if you do most/all of the sidequests? Need to figure out if I can beat it before The Witcher 3 releases. I barely get to play during the week at all with work :(

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon Age has more words than Pillars? Huh. Would never have guessed.

I'd say Pillars has more words than DA2 but less than Planescape, but until someone spends $900 on Unity we won't know for sure!

Lanrutcon

• 1,000,000 Words
• 1,000 Cinematics
• 1,000 Characters
• 56,000 Spoken Lines
• 60 Hours of Gameplay

Dragon Age II
• 400,000 Words
• 2,500 Cinematics
• 500 Characters
• 38,000 Spoken Lines
• 40 Hours of Gameplay

Highly highly doubt DA:Origins has a larger script than Torment. There's just no way.

Lanrutcon

Several different origin stories? I could see it, though 200k more seems a little weird.

Torment is the king of 'oh, this quest had several different outcomes and hidden pieces of dialogue if you'd done something seemingly completely unrelated 4 hours ago', to a degree where seeing everything the game has to offer requires a shitload of saved games, research and time. I don't see any way Origins catched up to Torment unless you flub the numbers by counting male/female versions of dialogue as different, text where the racial identifier varies, etc.

Labadal

Around how many hours is this game, if you do most/all of the sidequests? Need to figure out if I can beat it before The Witcher 3 releases. I barely get to play during the week at all with work :(
Depends on playstyle. You can do a lot of things in 40-50 hours.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Highly highly doubt DA:Origins has a larger script than Torment. There's just no way.
Its text line count is smaller (its word count for dialogue text is like 750k iirc) but i remember Bioware saying that there was like a million total if you add in all the other text (item descriptions and the like). i dont know what Torments word count would be if you added in all the non-dialogue stuff.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Its text line count is smaller (its word count for dialogue text is like 750k iirc) but i remember Bioware saying that there was like a million total if you add in all the other text (item descriptions and the like). i dont know what Torments word count would be if you added in all the non-dialogue stuff.

Okay that's cheating.

Lanrutcon

Now it makes sense.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/02/25/news-tidbits-dragon-age-origins.aspx

Dragon Age contains 742,000 words of dialogue, and 202,000 words of non-conversational text that were translated into eight languages besides English – Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Russian, and Spanish. Four of those other languages have their own voiceover, whereas the other four subtitle the English VO.

Also the dev achievements lol

Dragon Age had ‘developer achievements’ for all kinds of things, such as successfully crashing the game.

12,212 of those Achievements were awarded to developers during production of the game.

Tenck

I was getting a little frustrated with the game. I was dying constantly at this one place very early on and I kinda wanted to give up.

After some serious spell management I managed to win a very satisfying fight. I'll never doubt you again PoE *hugs steam copy*

danthefan

I was getting a little frustrated with the game. I was dying constantly at this one place very early on and I kinda wanted to give up.

After some serious spell management I managed to win a very satisfying fight. I'll never doubt you again PoE *hugs steam copy*

Where was it, out of interest?

Tenck

Where was it, out of interest?

Just 12 hours in, so yeah pretty early. It's at Raedric's Keep.

There's like 11 people waiting out here (probably more). You take on the first 4 or so first, then the other ones are waiting up above where I'm standing.

I haven't really played RPGs like this, so it was a little overwhelming at first. Ended up just sitting down and reading every spell I had and just pausing a lot to get the right ones off.

It felt great and it's making me love the game because I have to be very focused now.

Labadal

I got an email from Paradox saying that my package will arrive sometime between April 15th and April 17th.

It says the package is 30Kg but I can't understand why. Going to be some nice workout when I pick it up from the post office.

danthefan

Just 12 hours in, so yeah pretty early. It's at Raedric's Keep.

There's like 11 people waiting out here (probably more). You take on the first 4 or so first, then the other ones are waiting up above where I'm standing.

I haven't really played RPGs like this, so it was a little overwhelming at first. Ended up just sitting down and reading every spell I had and just pausing a lot to get the right ones off.

It felt great and it's making me love the game because I have to be very focused now.

Fair enough. The trick for me there was
not go in the front door!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so, finished. Extremely good game, with some quibbles that go way back to my beef with Obsidian, since they're always the same ones. A bit on the short side, took me 56 hours to finish all quests, missions and events and all fifteen floors of Od Nua, I only failed
the Durance quest at the final boss, and have to figure out why
but loved almost every minute of it. Two instances gave me some real big frustration, this is a game that wants you to learn to play. I'm down for a whole serie of those, hopefully POE 2 isn't that far off

Altazor

Lol, I couldn't figure out another way. I went in through the
side of the castle
, but ended up there somehow.

I know it's pretty much a moot point now but there are
three ways of getting into the keep: 1) left side of the map, scripted storyline point that checks on athletics (climbing up a vine to the top) that leads you to a couple of fights but a stealthy entrance to the second floor; 2) kicking ass through the normal entrance, and 3) right side of the map, there's a hidden-ish path in the moat that leads to the sewers/dungeons directly

Top Bottom