• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Alrus

What do I do with the animals I picked up? I have two cats (one which is rotting) and others I think just sitting in my inventory. I thought they might be quest related but now I see I can buy a beagle from a vendor so I'm not so sure.

They're pets, purely cosmetic (afaik). You can equip them on your main character.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Any word on when 1.04 non-beta is going to be released?

I've been dying to get back to this, but the load times were killing me.

Dsyndrome

Any word on when 1.04 non-beta is going to be released?

I've been dying to get back to this, but the load times were killing me.

From the developers yesterday afternoon:
"Hey, everyone. We were just about to push the patch live and we got a report from a user about stacking health. We have not been able to reproduce the issue on our side, but we are double checking to make sure that we don't introduce this patch live if it has this serious issue."
http://poedevtracker.net/

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
From the developers yesterday afternoon:
"Hey, everyone. We were just about to push the patch live and we got a report from a user about stacking health. We have not been able to reproduce the issue on our side, but we are double checking to make sure that we don't introduce this patch live if it has this serious issue."
http://poedevtracker.net/

Fantastic, sounds like most likely today.

Brojito

Neo Member
forgot I had to kill my last bounty, Sserkal, so I loaded an old save and went to fight him. WTF is this shit? I had very few issues with all the major enemies,
Adra dragon, zombie Raedric, Thaos himself
, but this piece of shit is impossible. Any advice about how to kill him? Massively unfair fight

That's the vithrak bounty, right? I actually beat that one in the most unconventional way possible, I think, but it was incredibly annoying.

Basically my party ended up all going down except for Edér, and he had the beetle figurines equipped so I kept summoning beetles. I really thought the fight was over because it was like Edér versus 4 vithrak plus the boss, and they would constantly stun/charm me over and over. So I got stuck in this annoying loop where Edér and beetle friends would get stunned, whacked on by vithrak, then instantly charmed when that effect was over. Then they would all wander around for 15 seconds until Edér got back under my control, and the whole thing would start all over again.

I was about to reload out of frustration, and then I realized that somehow the remaining Vithrak were slowly taking damage and dying. That's when I remember that I had some passive ability on Edér where he reflected melee damage back at his attackers or something. So every time we went through this stun/attack/charm/repeat cycle, I wouldn't do any direct damage to the Vithrack, but they were literally killing themselves on Edér.

About 3 minutes later, the boss guy finally took his last hit on Edér and died, with Edér standing there stunned at only about half endurance. I think it was probably my weirdest encounter in the game - very frustrating and yet oddly satisfying at the same time.

And that's why Edér never leaves my party. Ever.

EDIT: So what's everyone's final verdict on the companions? How do you feel they compare to other Obsidian games?

I've noticed that they tend to all not seem very interesting at the start, but the more you get to know them, the more they shine (except for Grieving Mother, who is deliciously weird from the start).
And I LOVE how your other companions don't even realize who she is and thinks she's some rando peasant woman following you, nice touch there.

So personal favorites have to be Edér (see above), Durance, GM, and probably Hiravias, just for his personality, although I wish there was a little more to his story.

I don't really care for Aloth - his story seemed obvious from the start,
and the leaden key thing seemed kinda pointless
. Plus the conclusion of his quest is a bit of a letdown. I like the concept of Sagani's character, but she's pretty useless in combat and her quest just seemed un satisfying, like there should have been something more there. Or maybe that was the whole point of her quest, idk.

I've heard people talking about Pallegina as one of the best companions, but honestly I was disappointed with her too. She's a paladin so she's automatically pretty bad in combat, plus her personal quest is just... Meh. Another interesting concept, but it just didn't seem to really go anywhere.

So far I have finished only 3 quest for the compaions (Edér, Kana and Aloth) and from I'm getting the vibe that
the other quests aren't shaping to have a happy ending, I didn't knew why I as expecting a happy ending from an Obsidian game xD

Nohar

1.04 available.

BAdler said:
The 1.04 (540) patch is now live on Steam. It is currently going through the QA process for GOG and Origin and should be available on those sites in the next day or two.

We will be posting a backer update regarding the patch later today or tomorrow.

You can find the patch notes for 1.04 here.

Mostly a bug-fixing patch. I'm waiting for the 1.05 which should do some balancing.

Alastor3

How does the game change from good character to a evil character ? I might do the game a second time if there is enough changes/dialogues

Jag

I wish they would fix the map load times. The beta patch barely helped. At this point, they should just put vendors outside so we don't have to wait so long between transitions.

Irobot82

I wish they would fix the map load times. The beta patch barely helped. At this point, they should just put vendors outside so we don't have to wait so long between transitions.

What load times? Are you on a HDD or SSD? Take me 5-10 TOPS

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What load times? Are you on a HDD or SSD? Take me 5-10 TOPS

10 seconds for a map transition in a game like this on modern hardware is absolutely ridiculous.

Shit, 5 seconds is absurd.

I have a i5 3.2ghz with 16 gig of RAM and a 970. It takes 5-15 seconds to load a new area.

I like the companions. Pallegina and Sagani are appealing characters somewhat let down by their low combat utility. Eder is invaluable in combat. Kana and Hiravias are mildly entertaining. Grieving Mother has a cool hook. And Durance probably has the best questline. Probing a crazed fanatic about his history and ideas proves to be suitably uncomfortable.

I think all the companions would have benefited from a stronger central storyline. One of the reasons you bring companions as opposed to mute hirelings is to hear their reactions to plot developments. Eternity gives them opportunities to share their thoughts on the hollowborn, the Dyrwood, and Glanfathan customs, among other things, but they have relatively little to say about the antagonist or the Watcher.

It also would have been nice if their personal quests were longer or involved some unique locations to distinguish them from the average task. I was hoping at least a few of them would rival Glory's from Dragonfall.

Jag

10 seconds for a map transition in a game like this on modern hardware is absolutely ridiculous.

I have a i5 3.2ghz with 16 gig of RAM and a 970. It takes 5-15 seconds to load a new area.

Yep. For my slower PC without an SSD, it is more like 15-20. I alt-tab out to surf the web between maps. It really is killing any entertainment I got from this game.

Realyn

For the record: Yes I have a SSD and the 5-10 seconds load screen don't come down to that. Quite annoying when the first response is "but do you have..." all the time. Devs simply fucked up here. 5-10 seconds in a gane like this isn't ok.

Kinthalis

Banned
For the record: Yes I have a SSD and the 5-10 seconds load screen don't come down to that. Quite annoying when the first response is "but do you have..." all the time. Devs simply fucked up here. 5-10 seconds in a gane like this isn't ok.

I think this might be a Unity issue. It's slow to load assets, maybe not utilizing the CPU enough I don't know.

But even if there's nothing they could do in terms of optimizing the loads in Unity for their game, then they should have taken this into account and designed the areas a bit differently.

Have all interiors of a single area on the same "level" so that a load screen isn't required for them. Maybe even have nearby areas lumped in together in the same level as well.

Maybe they were running into memory issues with very low end systems though...

Level 12, only things to do now are the last bounties,
Zombie Raedric
and rest of the endless path, then I am off to the finale.

Irobot82

Huh. Always gave me dat Baulder's Gate feel to it. The only thing that annoys me is the lag when I click quicksave.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
No fix for the Man Who Waits mentioned in the patch is unfortunate.

Should not have gone and picked up the notes while exploring for the quest in the catacombs, I guess. :(

Jag

Have all interiors of a single area on the same "level" so that a load screen isn't required for them. Maybe even have nearby areas lumped in together in the same level as well.

Exactly. If they took this issue into account and designed the game to minimize map switches it wouldn't be so bad. Even stick the vendors outside. I actually get aggravated when I know I have to run in and out of a house or two. That's when I know I need to put the game back on the shelf and take a break, even though I've already finished Act III.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Huh. Always gave me dat Baulder's Gate feel to it. The only thing that annoys me is the lag when I click quicksave.

I'm almost positive that BG loaded areas faster than this on my mid-range Pentium II with 4 megs of RAM or whatever I had at the time

Anyone else feel like the game is too easy from Act 2 onwards on Hard difficulty?

I'm in the middle of Act 3 and for every regular battle I just auto-attack with everyone and things die in seconds. For boss fights, I cast a couple of spells and micromanage a bit but it's largely the same. I'm not even meta-gaming or anything, hell I still don't know how the DR system or Reflex/Deflection/whatever works.

I don't think I'm over-leveled either since I didn't do any of the Stronghold bounties/dungeon until just recently.

My party is Fighter (PC), Eder, Aloth, Kana, Durance, Sagani.

Kinda makes me regret not starting on Path of the Damned.

Although funnily enough I currently can't beat the
Raedric re-fight, but that's cause my entire party is charmed instantly and forever.

Anyone else feel like the game is too easy from Act 2 onwards on Hard difficulty?

I'm in the middle of Act 3 and for every regular battle I just auto-attack with everyone and things die in seconds. For boss fights, I cast a couple of spells and micromanage a bit but it's largely the same. I'm not even meta-gaming or anything, hell I still don't know how the DR system or Reflex/Deflection/whatever works.

I don't think I'm over-leveled either since I didn't do any of the Stronghold bounties/dungeon until just recently.

My party is Fighter (PC), Eder, Aloth, Kana, Durance, Sagani.

Kinda makes me regret not starting on Path of the Damned.

Although funnily enough I currently can't beat the
Raedric re-fight, but that's cause my entire party is charmed instantly and forever.
Outside of a few boss fights, there are really only two things to fear once Act III begins: Charm/Domination and that fucking insect spell ogres cast.

huxley00

I got a puppy one day after this game came out, its been driving me crazy that I haven't even had time to fire it up yet. I guess I will get some decent bug fixes at least. I have been keeping up on this post and things look great.

Outside of a few boss fights, there are really only two things to fear once Act III begins: Charm/Domination and that fucking insect spell ogres cast.

I just fought one of the bounties that is an Ogre and it had an Ogre Shaman with him, I couldn't reach the Ogre Shaman because I was fighting on a narrowing place and everytime he did cast the spell I was getting worried.

Varna

I like the companions. Pallegina and Sagani are appealing characters somewhat let down by their low combat utility.

There are probably better options... but I find Pallegina very useful in my PotD run. She is the only other front-line party member you get and her accuracy buff and revive ability are pretty useful too. She can take a beating with some better gear too.

Sou Da

There are probably better options... but I find Pallegina very useful in my PotD run. She is the only other front-line party member you get and her accuracy buff and revive ability are pretty useful too. She can take a beating with some better gear too.

I never updated her breastplate past enchanting it and I did fine on Hard/Expert, I find I can do pretty well even with roleplaying influencing every combat decision.

Interesting. My first PC was a tanky chanter, so there wasn't much need for an off-tank buffer, but maybe I'll give her another shot on my current run-through.

KePoW

Banned
anyone have tips for the dragon at:

Hylea Temple? I'm only on Normal but getting my butt kicked with party at level 8. What are the must-have spells for tough fights?? I don't know which are the good ones

Sou Da

Hylea Temple? I'm only on Normal but getting my butt kicked with party at level 8. What are the must-have spells for tough fights?? I don't know which are the good ones

I can't remember if I was level 8 but that dragon was a pushover, post your party setup?

Well... (about solving the quest)
Why fight it to begin with? I managed to negotiate a truce between the dragon and Hylea. Anything that spares the dragons is clearly the best option. Though IIRC I was level 12 for that area, so I dunno what's going on with you.

Moff

level 8? wow, I was max level (12) for a long time when I got there

KePoW

Banned
I can't remember if I was level 8 but that dragon was a pushover, post your party setup?

Well... (about solving the quest)
Why fight it to begin with? I managed to negotiate a truce between the dragon and Hylea. Anything that spares the dragons is clearly the best option. Though IIRC I was level 12 for that area, so I dunno what's going on with you.

level 8? wow, I was max level (12) for a long time when I got there

I want to kill it, not spare it haha =P

And yeah my party is level 8, I'm just going straight through the main story, not doing sidequests. At most I've done maybe 10% of sidequests I've encountered. I don't really play RPGs to read sidequests, and there's too much reading in this game.

My character is a dps unarmed Monk, along with -- Eder / Sagani / Durance / Grieving Mother / Aloth

I've mainly been skimming through this OT not to spoil myself, but I recall people saying there were a few spells that trivialize all hard fights. I just didn't take note of which spells?

I want to kill it, not spare it haha =P

And yeah my party is level 8, I'm just going straight through the main story, not doing sidequests. At most I've done maybe 10% of sidequests I've encountered. I don't really play RPGs to read sidequests, and there's too much reading in this game.

My character is a dps unarmed Monk, along with -- Eder / Sagani / Durance / Grieving Mother / Aloth

I've mainly been skimming through this OT not to spoil myself, but I recall people saying there were a few spells that trivialize all hard fights. I just didn't take note of which spells?
Gotta say, half the fun of these games are the sidequests, KePoW. It's not like games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition where they're completely meaningless, instead they can have greater significance within Eora.

Regarding the spells,
You'll need to reach the higher spell levels (5/6) to really get the broken-tier spells. It's not so much direct damage spells as it is status effects - anything with petrify, stun, prone, or charm is a good start on the way to imbaland. Once you have access to those sorts of spells, it's just a matter of weakening enemies' defenses, unleashing the desired status effect, and then auto-attacking to victory.

Top Bottom