• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

JC Sera

I want to kill it, not spare it haha =P

And yeah my party is level 8, I'm just going straight through the main story, not doing sidequests. At most I've done maybe 10% of sidequests I've encountered. I don't really play RPGs to read sidequests, and there's too much reading in this game.

My character is a dps unarmed Monk, along with -- Eder / Sagani / Durance / Grieving Mother / Aloth

I've mainly been skimming through this OT not to spoil myself, but I recall people saying there were a few spells that trivialize all hard fights. I just didn't take note of which spells?
The dragons aoes are horrible, but it is very easily kited. It will either stand in one spot or jump off screen to another, and the jump is pretty easy to guess where its gonna land (usually where you were a second ago)
Best strat at your level is run around when it blows its early load of AoEs,
then have you tank suited up with high DR (preferably high fire DR) and Deflection stuff and engage it. It should stop jumping around at this point. Use figurine summons to also occupy it. I ran around until I had enough chants to summon Ogres, but you don't seem high enough a level for this.

Then get every other team member to make ranged attacks against it.
The chanter/priest anti-fear/terror auras are also useful in this fight.

KePoW

Banned
Regarding the spells,
You'll need to reach the higher spell levels (5/6) to really get the broken-tier spells. It's not so much direct damage spells as it is status effects - anything with petrify, stun, prone, or charm is a good start on the way to imbaland. Once you have access to those sorts of spells, it's just a matter of weakening enemies' defenses, unleashing the desired status effect, and then auto-attacking to victory.

The dragons aoes are horrible, but it is very easily kited. It will either stand in one spot or jump off screen to another, and the jump is pretty easy to guess where its gonna land (usually where you were a second ago)
Best strat at your level is run around when it blows its early load of AoEs,
then have you tank suited up with high DR (preferably high fire DR) and Deflection stuff and engage it. It should stop jumping around at this point. Use figurine summons to also occupy it. I ran around until I had enough chants to summon Ogres, but you don't seem high enough a level for this.

Then get every other team member to make ranged attacks against it.
The chanter/priest anti-fear/terror auras are also useful in this fight.

ok thx for the tips so far!

Looks like it's a case where most players are higher level than me at this part. But I don't know how to get higher level without resorting to doing sidequests (which I don't really feel like doing)

Violet_0

Banned
ok thx for the tips so far!

Looks like it's a case where most players are higher level than me at this part. But I don't know how to get higher level without resorting to doing sidequests (which I don't really feel like doing)

get lvl 10 or 11 for the fight. Do the stronghold bounty sidequests to level up quickly, they are nothing but (challenging) fights. Or Endless Paths, which is mostly just fighting as well

some tips for the fight -
bait the aoe with your tank (and split your party up), keep your tank healed (priest lvl 2 healing circle spell and/or druid health regen spells), boost your own accuracy with priest spells, inflict conditions with Grieving Mother and Aloth and reduce it's deflection (with -resolve and - perception spells, for example)

lvl 10 is probably on the lower side, but should still be doable. What difficulty level are you playing on and who's in your party?

I just noticed it's 9 and not 10 xD I think I'll load a later save and do some more quest. I finished act 3 very fast. Btw normal difficulty, with
eder,pallegina,aloth,durance,the ranger I forgot the name
and my rogue

Violet_0

Banned
I just noticed it's 9 and not 10 xD I think I'll load a later save and do some more quest. I finished act 3 very fast. Btw normal difficulty, with
eder,pallegina,aloth,durance,the ranger I forgot the name
and my rogue

lvl 9 could be a bit tough, yeah. You can cheese the fight with Aloth at lvl 11, otherwise it's mostly about party positioning and attack order. Something of note is that Sagani's fox can
tank Thalos in the early stages of the fight and he will always aim his big aoe spell on whoever is currently attacking him so you can split up your party in anticipation.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Durance has a 6th-level spell that will boost your party's resistance to domination. You can also load your party up on will-boosting equipment. But the main thing is that you know where Sserkal is, so just sneak up and nuke him (and his friends). If you get the drop on them with confuse or sleep, you should be able to kill a few of them fast and take control of the fight.

believe me I tried sneaking up on him and Gaze or Sleep the whole group, but the motherfucker just notices me, insta-casts and I'm done, no way Aloth or my char (a wizard) can beat his speed. I will definitely try Durance's spell...i neglected using most of them, thanks man

That's the vithrak bounty, right? I actually beat that one in the most unconventional way possible, I think, but it was incredibly annoying.

Basically my party ended up all going down except for Edér, and he had the beetle figurines equipped so I kept summoning beetles. I really thought the fight was over because it was like Edér versus 4 vithrak plus the boss, and they would constantly stun/charm me over and over. So I got stuck in this annoying loop where Edér and beetle friends would get stunned, whacked on by vithrak, then instantly charmed when that effect was over. Then they would all wander around for 15 seconds until Edér got back under my control, and the whole thing would start all over again.

I was about to reload out of frustration, and then I realized that somehow the remaining Vithrak were slowly taking damage and dying. That's when I remember that I had some passive ability on Edér where he reflected melee damage back at his attackers or something. So every time we went through this stun/attack/charm/repeat cycle, I wouldn't do any direct damage to the Vithrack, but they were literally killing themselves on Edér.

About 3 minutes later, the boss guy finally took his last hit on Edér and died, with Edér standing there stunned at only about half endurance. I think it was probably my weirdest encounter in the game - very frustrating and yet oddly satisfying at the same time.

And that's why Edér never leaves my party. Ever.

LOL this is hilarious man, but at level 12 I'm afraid I'm done with spending points on passive abilities :(

Shepard

Being a Bleak Walker paladin is kinda of pissing me off. They aren't supposed to be evil, just merciless. I hate how a lot of quests will give you a benevolent or diplomatic point unless you kill the hostages or something like that. That's really missing the point of what a paladin is, imo.

Alright, five levels in to the Endless Path! How far down does it go?
15 levels?! I'll come back later...

Real talk, you should travel through what levels you can fight through, because it's really boring to go back later when you're 4+ levels ahead of everything in the place and all the loot is worthless at that point.

Just started playing.

Fuck these Shades.

Yesterday I had to defend my stronghold and I went up against
two forest trolls
and about eight shades. Hardest fight I've ever done. They'd all attack different members of my party and my party would all turn and start fighting individual shades.

Also, Aloth died in that fight and I was really upset. But then the encounter was over and it revived him with one health and one endurance. Don't know if that's normal, but I was incredibly relieved lol.

KePoW

Banned
get lvl 10 or 11 for the fight. Do the stronghold bounty sidequests to level up quickly, they are nothing but (challenging) fights. Or Endless Paths, which is mostly just fighting as well

some tips for the fight -
bait the aoe with your tank (and split your party up), keep your tank healed (priest lvl 2 healing circle spell and/or druid health regen spells), boost your own accuracy with priest spells, inflict conditions with Grieving Mother and Aloth and reduce it's deflection (with -resolve and - perception spells, for example)

Actually that's a great tip/reminder about Endless Path & Bounties! I forgot about those things

I like doing fights & combat in this game, but I don't like most sidequests or reading. So thx for the reminder

lvl 9 could be a bit tough, yeah. You can cheese the fight with Aloth at lvl 11, otherwise it's mostly about party positioning and attack order. Something of note is that Sagani's fox can
tank Thalos in the early stages of the fight and he will always aim his big aoe spell on whoever is currently attacking him so you can split up your party in anticipation.

what's the best attack order for final fight?

Violet_0

Banned
what's the best attack order for final fight?

from my experience on PotD
someone - can be a ranger pet, for example - tanks Thaos who has really high deflection. He will cast his aoe spells that will do lots of damage even to a proper tank. If no one tanks Thaos, he will go around and kill your mages while healing the statues. Meanwhile, take out one statue with the rest of your party (the upper left one has somewhat lower defenses) while summoning minions from items or spells to occupy the other statue. When one statue is down, go for the other, then attack Thaos. Focusing Thaos first isn't really working since he has very high defenses and he will become invulnerable and fully heal himself as long as the statues are around

Melchior

Man I finally finished the game after 67 hours on Hard & Expert and it was great. I loved it all the through except until the end. I felt like after
talking to Iovara all I had to do was walk into the room kick Thaos' ass
. Though I will admit I was tired as hell after playing for 10 hours straight and every dialogue box that popped up had me groaning. Not because it was poorly done but I was at the end and I always force myself to exhaust every dialogue option.

Anyway I loved at the end
where they show you what happened throughout the world and what happened to your companions. I promised all 4 gods I would do their bidding but ended up just sending the souls back into the cycle as well as Thaos'.

Last fight spoilers...
Oh also the last fight was incredibly disappointing. Mainly because it took no time at all and it was pretty anticlimactic. The fight started and I had Mother control one of the statue on the right. Sent Kana far and away to poke with blunderbuss and build chants for ogre summon. My OP wizard, Pallegina, and Eder all go on Thaos and I cast petrify/Minoletta's Concussive Missles and then Kana just grazes for the final hit. this all happened before he could build 4 chants.

If you were curious my Party setup was : Pallegina, Eder, Durance, Kana, Grieving Mother, and my Wizard.

Overall great game and I look forward to doing Triple Crown Solo soon. Just need to try out some other classes.

KePoW

Banned
from my experience on PotD
someone - can be a ranger pet, for example - tanks Thaos who has really high deflection. He will cast his aoe spells that will do lots of damage even to a proper tank. If no one tanks Thaos, he will go around and kill your mages while healing the statues. Meanwhile, take out one statue with the rest of your party (the upper left one has somewhat lower defenses) while summoning minions from items or spells to occupy the other statue. When one statue is down, go for the other, then attack Thaos. Focusing Thaos first isn't really working since he has very high defenses and he will become invulnerable and fully heal himself as long as the statues are around

ok thx a bunch pal

I just spent nine hours doing quests in Defiance Bay and I haven't even been in Heritage Hill yet. Nine hours. (Sidequest spoiler)
The Derrin quest really got to me. The mom's scared to death with a hollowborn while her son is lifeless under the pier because he stood up for somebody. A rare moment of sympathy for characters you're with for maybe thirty minutes.

I just spent nine hours doing quests in Defiance Bay and I haven't even been in Heritage Hill yet. Nine hours. (Sidequest spoiler)
The Derrin quest really got to me. The mom's scared to death with a hollowborn while her son is lifeless under the pier because he stood up for somebody. A rare moment of sympathy for characters you're with for maybe thirty minutes.

I think that's the kind of thing that PoE's sidequests do really, really well. They're able to craft a little vignette with these side characters and tell these little stories that can feel memorable in a short amount of time.

Either that, or they just seem like amazing masterpieces of storytelling in comparison to the banal fetch quests of DA:I.

JC Sera

The
Derrin
quest actually brought me on the verge of tears

Alastor3

In the quest Built to Last of the Crucibles Knight in Defiance Bay,
im I obliged to give the report to Dunstan? Im against putting souls into armor but I don't want to not do the quest since im at the end of it. I still haven't decided what faction to pick but I guess one of them are against me if I got attacked by assassin's on my travels.

Sanctuary

So what exactly should I be doing for the
Fampyr on the throne
in level 8 of the Endless Paths? I've exhausted all of the dialogue, and he makes it sound like I need to
kill some other kind of undead, but he doesn't specify where exactly.

The only information that I could find is that he wants me to
kill the other fampyrs on level 8, yet everything was already killed before I spoke to him...

So what exactly should I be doing for the
Fampyr on the throne
in level 8 of the Endless Paths? I've exhausted all of the dialogue, and he makes it sound like I need to
kill some other kind of undead, but he doesn't specify where exactly.

The only information that I could find is that he wants me to
kill the other fampyrs on level 8, yet everything was already killed before I spoke to him...

I just killed everything before the
Throne
and there was a dialogue option of
Oh those ones? I killed them already.
and eventually the dialog just went to
okay, you can pass here.

Sanctuary

I just killed everything before the
Throne
and there was a dialogue option of
Oh those ones? I killed them already.
and eventually the dialog just went to
okay, you can pass here.

Sounds like a bug then, because there was literally nothing left. I scoured the level three times just to make sure.

Sounds like a bug then, because there was literally nothing left. I scoured the level three times just to make sure.
Whack a post on the official forums, does sound like a bug. Or just
kill him
by
putting a whole series of traps (one per character) leading across the bridge, and pulling him back there where eder acts as a brick wall to stop him getting off the bridge to your ranged guys

Finished! Really a great game, also I like endings that fully explain what happens to everybody, it really feels satisfying. Also didn't know about
raedric coming back to life

senahorse

Finished, 64 hours (according to save). What a fantastic game, I enjoyed every minute of it. The second half was weaker than the first but I had a great time with it all the same.

Kinthalis

Banned
God damn it you guys. Im still on chapter 3, have two companion quests to fish and am only on level 5 of the endless paths. I figure i still got 10 hours to go!

shiroryu

Durance is such a well written character, just had the second interaction where he reveals
he was part of the Dozen that worked on the Godhammer. He not being "in" with Magran anymore, and looking to regain her favor, the overstepping of their bounds with the Godhammer, the "whore" references make sense now. Funny that he doesn't have much to say about the Dozens.

Would've loved to see Avellone's original version, apparently it was too dark even for Obsidian?

Are there any missable quests in the game? I mean,quests that can no longer be completed after a certain point in the game.
I want to go to the animancy meeting with the duc, but I didn't complete all of the defiance bay quests yet.

This game is just beautiful, in every possible way. It took me a while to get started because of work, but now I'm really rolling along and having some fun. There's so much depth to the world, lore and combat it's insane. There are no meaningless side quests, they all feel like they belong within the game world, while spinning a great yarn along the way. Love it.

Oh and I totally robbed The Goose and Fox.

Adra Dragon
is so bullshit. Totally luck based, if your initial casts miss you might as well restart. I have gotten him down to near death but still can't do it and most of the times I die before I can do any damage to it.

Using Ranger, Durance, Aloth, Eder, Grieving Mother, Hiravias combination.

Moff

Adra Dragon
is so bullshit. Totally luck based, if your initial casts miss you might as well restart. I have gotten him down to near death but still can't do it and most of the times I die before I can do any damage to it.

Using Ranger, Durance, Aloth, Eder, Grieving Mother, Hiravias combination.

use
aloth's petrification spell and you'll kill it in a few seconds

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just now finally getting to this game now that I've finished Bloodborne.

Just about spit out my coffee when I saw Evilore's face as a portrait option in the character creation screen. That's a damn well done portrait.

Nohar

I decided to show the qualifiers and reputation impacts for a change, and I was quite surprised to see that in fact there are a lot of dialogue options which revolve around those. I desactivated the options (as I think it spoils the experience), but it is rather nice.

Though, playing a "bad" guy during my second playthrough goes against my nature. Temple of Eotas spoiler:
Poor Wirtan, I really didn't need to twist his arm and drive him out of the Vale. Though, there seems to be a special option if your character if a Priest of Eothas. I will definitly make one in another playthrough I think, so much potential when you are a priest of a dead god. Skaen is also an interesting choice.

I wonder if the community will be as active as the Baldur's Gate one when it comes to mods, though I'm not quite sure PoE had that much success yet. It is just that the game misses some good interactions, and I expected a lot of conflicts between Edér and Durance in my party.

Sou Da

I wish I had that. I didn't pick that and none of the Grimoires I have have it. :(

There's a grimoire that you get from beating the boss that has it .
tumblr_n9fouzMHKS1sxcftfo1_400.gif

Just go around disabling traps and you'll find a trap with gaze of the adragan.

Top Bottom