• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

There's a grimoire that you get from beating the boss that has it .
tumblr_n9fouzMHKS1sxcftfo1_400.gif

Just go around disabling traps and you'll find a trap with gaze of the adragan.

Aloth was only level 11 (thought he was 12), went and killed
zombie Raedric
and got my Gaze. Woot woot. Also looooool at that smiley :D

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Aloth was only level 11 (thought he was 12), went and killed
zombie Raedric
and got my Gaze. Woot woot. Also looooool at that smiley :D

Killing
Raedric again
was probably my favorite bit of the game. It was fun how they turned it around on you for doing what you've done in RPGs for decades.

Great game, fun for the while family ;)

Sadly he's gone evil and attacks everyone in sight. The privilege of console commands.

Also, is there really any point in taking prisoners? Seems like a lackluster system overall. Otherwise I really dig what the game is doing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
yeah and I finished the first quest for the faction but I don't find the merchant

I mean, it's not a big place. She's in the back room and
you'll need to smooth things over with her before she'll sell you anything.

Act 2 Spoilers

I did the Heritage Hill spire task, recruited Pallegina, did the second quest for the Crucible Knights, and have done pretty much every side quest in Defiance Bay except for the Salty Mast girl/Brackenbury bar guy. How close am I to the duc's hearing? Feels like I should already have access to it.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Act 2 Spoilers

I did the Heritage Hill spire task, recruited Pallegina, did the second quest for the Crucible Knights, and have done pretty much every side quest in Defiance Bay except for the Salty Mast girl/Brackenbury bar guy. How close am I to the duc's hearing? Feels like I should already have access to it.

After the story quests, you should get an invite to meet with Lady Webb. She gets that ball rolling.

After the story quests, you should get an invite to meet with Lady Webb. She gets that ball rolling.

I met with her after I murdered everybody in the sanitarium (because of talking with Thaos). It says I should inform Lady Webb of Thaos activity, but when I talk with her it doesn't present anymore dialogue options. Did I hit a bug?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I met with her after I murdered everybody in the sanitarium (because of talking with Thaos). It says I should inform Lady Webb of Thaos activity, but when I talk with her it doesn't present anymore dialogue options. Did I hit a bug?

& you've done the story quests? In the part you are describing, you have to tell her about the results of all three of these:

The man who waits
Undying heritage
Through death's gate

She'll then tell you you need to find a way into the hearing IIRC

& you've done the story quests? In the part you are describing, you have to tell her about the results of all three of these:

The man who waits
Undying heritage
Through death's gate

She'll then tell you you need to find a way into the hearing IIRC

Haven't done Through Death's Gate. Thanks for the help!

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Hey all! Just bought PoE finally, this is the game I've been wanting for years. As of right now I should have started playing this much earlier, but I spent the last few hours agonizing over my character choice, builds, and party compositions. I haven't started playing yet and I don't know much of the story at all, I only know the NPCs by their names, classes, and a rough idea of where to find them and at what level.

I'd like to work in the NPCs for their banter, dialogue, and story quests but I'm also wanting to work in 1 or 2 adventurers as well to fill in the blanks and sort of diversify the party a bit more. Right now for my main character I'm currently drawn to Wild Orlan because I like their look and lore. I know they aren't ideal because of their negative Might racial trait, but I was leaning towards either Druid or Wizard for his class.

I know Druids use their spells more frequently and have quite a lot of damaging ones, where as Wizards don't get to use theirs as often but have some pretty amazing CC like Slicken and Chill Fog. I'm under the impression that the early game where I haven't got my full 6 party yet (and I DO want a full 6 party), Druid is going to be less of a pain than Wizard. I know Aloth, the Elf Wizard, is one if the first companions you get as well, although I'm unsure if he even has some key early Wizard abilities. So my party I'm looking at might end up looking like this:

Main: Wild Orlan Druid or Wizard
Aloth: Elf Wizard (if I don't make my main one instead)
Eder: Fighter Tank
Sagani: Dwarf Ranger (I really like her concept and I hear that her story is touching)

I'm mostly wanting Eder and Sagani, maybe Durance. Maybe. There's the Cipher character but I hear you get her very late. The other characters don't interest me as much. I'll take Aloth as well because, supposedly, he ties into the main plot somehow, and I'd like to have a Wizard if my Orlan ends up as a Druid.

Thoughts? I'd like adventurers to pick up the slack in the last 1/2 slots to make for a balanced party. I'm not much for micromanagement, I'll likely find myself on easy and normal, I'm in it more for the world and story because I've never really been that great at the isometric games despite liking them so much.

Thoughts? I'd like adventurers to pick up the slack in the last 1/2 slots to make for a balanced party. I'm not much for micromanagement, I'll likely find myself on easy and normal, I'm in it more for the world and story because I've never really been that great at the isometric games despite liking them so much.

The beginning might be a little rough, but after you get a full party of six it should be full steam ahead. On those difficulties it's really difficult to make critical mistakes, so build your party however you want. So long as you have one or two characters to soak damage and the rest to deal damage you'll be perfectly fine.

If you ever reach a tough battle you can't seem to win, just try using more spells. Status effects make a huge difference in combat.

Good luck.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
The beginning might be a little rough, but after you get a full party of six it should be full steam ahead. On those difficulties it's really difficult to make critical mistakes, so build your party however you want. So long as you have one or two characters to soak damage and the rest to deal damage you'll be perfectly fine.

If you ever reach a tough battle you can't seem to win, just try using more spells. Status effects make a huge difference in combat.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info! Just now got the fighter and mage companions, so I'm not exactly soloing things now. My wolf form seems to be doing great as a Druid (I did decide on Druid). Still trying to figure out how to actually make adventurers.

I'm currently at the Black Hound Inn but when I go to select the option to hire more, it just sais "No adventurers available to hire" and I seen no way to create one. Maybe I have to unlock this feature?

Thanks for the info! Just now got the fighter and mage companions, so I'm not exactly soloing things now. My wolf form seems to be doing great as a Druid (I did decide on Druid). Still trying to figure out how to actually make adventurers.

I'm currently at the Black Hound Inn but when I go to select the option to hire more, it just sais "No adventurers available to hire" and I seen no way to create one. Maybe I have to unlock this feature?

IIRC, Hired Adventurers start a level below the main character so you'll need to be level 2 to begin recruiting them.

Bonus tip: If you hire them early enough, the XP difference will be completely negligible due to how XP per level scales. You'll also end up saving a bit of cash because the hire cost depends on thier level.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC, Hired Adventurers start a level below the main character so you'll need to be level 2 to begin recruiting them.

Bonus tip: If you hire them early enough, the XP difference will be completely negligible due to how XP per level scales. You'll also end up saving a bit of cash because the hire cost depends on thier level.

Ooooh! That makes sense, thank you! And I plan to hire them as soon as possible.

tmespe

Just started this game and loving it so far. Should I loot all the "crap" items I keep getting and sell them, or just leave them?

On my second playthrough I decided to prioritize opening and attempting the bounty hunts. They were fun the first time around. They are even better when I am hopelessly outmatched. Trying them with a low-level party makes for some pretty memorable combat experiences. Lots and lots of experimentation.

In the city with the faction quests is it possible to do some early quests for each faction before you get "locked" in to a particular faction?
I robbed a jewel and handed it over to the crime family faction. I agreed to work for the faction head and I now seem to be locked out of doing any work for the other factions. I have not done any quests for any other factions yet.

I was wondering if I have locked myself in too early?

ie am I missing out on a lot of content /xp?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
If you've reached the Black Hound Inn, you have already leveled up but may not have realized it. Check if there's a shiny plus sign on your character's portrait.

Yep! Didn't figure it out until after the fact. But now I'm rerolling now that I have a better idea of what kind of characters I want in my party. I'd like my adventurer in the party (custom companion) to be either a Rogue or Cipher for ranged damage with gun. Not sure which though.

Instro

I've really been able to sink some time into this game recently, so good. Completely cleared out Raedrics Hold yesterday, which was a blast. I ended up killing everything but it was nice to see the amount of options available to get through that place.

Niahak

In the city with the faction quests is it possible to do some early quests for each faction before you get "locked" in to a particular faction?
I robbed a jewel and handed it over to the crime family faction. I agreed to work for the faction head and I now seem to be locked out of doing any work for the other factions. I have not done any quests for any other factions yet.

I was wondering if I have locked myself in too early?

ie am I missing out on a lot of content /xp?

You can do at least one quest for two of the factions (I didn't do the one you did, but I did
recover a Dozens guy's family armor
and
investigate disappearing guards for the Crucible Knights
). I think there's a second quest for the
Crucible Knights
that you can do before getting locked into them - at that point the
Dozens
guy was implying I'd be locked in for their next quest.

None of them had a ton of XP / rewards to my knowledge, I don't think you're missing out on a ton of stuff. Two, maybe three smallish quests.

Yep! Didn't figure it out until after the fact. But now I'm rerolling now that I have a better idea of what kind of characters I want in my party. I'd like my adventurer in the party (custom companion) to be either a Rogue or Cipher for ranged damage with gun. Not sure which though.
If it's pure ranged damage you're going for, nothing beats Rogue. Ranged damage is more a means to an end for the Cipher.

I think Rogues are hugely fun to play, but I'm biased because that was my first character.

Nohar

If it's pure ranged damage you're going for, nothing beats Rogue. Ranged damage is more a means to an end for the Cipher.

I think Rogues are hugely fun to play, but I'm biased because that was my first character.

Rogues are downright brutal. I decided to reroll a dual wielding one, and he does an insanely amount of damages. Sure, he was more than a little squishy during the 4 first levels, and he still kinda is, but he deals so much damage that as long as he don't get the aggro, his victim won't live long enough to decide to attack him. And now that Grieving Mother unlocked the very useful spell which grants +10 damage reduction to an ally, my rogue is much more durable (and Edér is unkillable). Truly wish I took GM in my first playthrough, her spells are insanely useful.

I just wish they would revamp the sneaking mecanic though (backstab, as of now, is a very so-so talent not worth picking because of it).

Dresden

I don't like ranged rogues. You don't get the insane damage of a melee rogue, and a cipher is nearly up there most of the time dps wise with all the added utility of their spells. If they could stack a few more modals it'd work out, but not having reckless attack or savage attack hurts quite a bit.

Dsyndrome

Most of my encounters start with my Rogue companion shooting a blinding arrow at the strongest foe they see, then everyone else gears up following. Still not far enough for them to effectively sneak up and backstab someone.

PBalfredo

So what is the best way to bust those damn ghosts? So far I've just been muscling my way through encounters with shades and the like, but it's incredibly taxing and I usually have to rest afterwards because of the sheer attrition. For a game that's so focused on tactical positioning, nothing's worse than an enemy type that throws all of that out the window.

hemtae

I don't like ranged rogues. You don't get the insane damage of a melee rogue, and a cipher is nearly up there most of the time dps wise with all the added utility of their spells. If they could stack a few more modals it'd work out, but not having reckless attack or savage attack hurts quite a bit.

Reckless attack is/was bugged so that might bring melee rogues down a bit.

Nohar

So what is the best way to bust those damn ghosts? So far I've just been muscling my way through encounters with shades and the like, but it's incredibly taxing and I usually have to rest afterwards because of the sheer attrition. For a game that's so focused on tactical positioning, nothing's worse than an enemy type that throws all of that out the window.

Sadly, ghosts/shades/phantoms remain the worst kind of enemies of the game, because of their teleportation but also because of their attacks that can perma-stun your characters. They wouldn't be such a huge problem if they didn't appear so soon in the game (in the first optional dungeon and in the first mandatory one after the prologue, no less), when ressources are limited, you own next to no magical equipment, and your characters die very easily because of low deflection and endurance. There is nothing to do except to pray that your characters will be able to kill them before they kill you. Other monsters are infamous for the threat they present (Ogre druids, I'm looking at you), but at least you don't meet these until much later, and they remain optional.

Frankly, I think that this is a major flaw in the game design to pit the player against such monsters so soon, especially since the difficulty of such encounters may seem rather unfair.

Replaying the game, I feel that Act I is rather bland (and there is a case of early game hell because of some encounters, namely the ghosts). Act II is where the game really shines, though it has its flaws too.

I hope they will offer the possibility to desactivate the auto-save feature in the next patch, since it increases significantly loading times. I know we can replace a file to desactivate it manually, but I discovered that it severily screws up the texts when viewing an object or a spell.

Any tips for newbie in terms of character?

It's hard to make a bad character in Eternity (though some builds are obviously more effective than others). You should know that most characters benefit less from constitution than they do from perception/resolve because deflection > endurance. You should know that there's not an overwhelming amount of reactivity to your character's race or background, so if you were thinking godlike solely for role-playing purposes, maybe reconsider (they're plenty fun for other purposes!). And you should know that the monk, barbarian, and rogue classes are not represented by any of the companions.

I've rolled a chanter and a rogue as my main character. The nice thing about the chanter was that the class benefits from attributes that come up a lot in dialogue (Resolve and Intelligence), but that's true of other classes as well. I chose rogue for my second playthrough because I loved my hireling rogue in my first game (she really tied the party together) and figured it would be better to have one from the start rather than spend a companion's slot on her.

Any tips for newbie in terms of character?

I started with a Ranger and I've been really happy with him. If you're smart about encounters you can bait one enemy at a time and then pin them with your animal while you pick them off.

Athleticism holds more weight than the other categories for me. If I'm leveling up I'll rotate between athleticism and whatever that character's main is.

Whatever you weight in terms of Might/Perception/Intellect/etc. make sure one of them is at least two or three points higher than the next closest one. I've missed a lot of dialogue options because I went for a pretty even character and now I regret it.

...characters benefit less from constitution than they do from perception/resolve because deflection > endurance...
...everything I know is a lie :(

Annubis

It's good to take a background that raises skills you already have or that you want to invest into as it diminishes future costs by a lot.

Example:
Rogue +2 mechanics with +1 mechanics background can have 4 mechanics for 1 skill point
Class with 0 mechanics with a background that doesn't raise mechanics will need 10 skill points for mechanics 4.

k, thanks. I rolled a rogue, let's see how it goes. Not terribly familiar with games like these (seems similar to KOTOR, but I never played BG) but I generally tend to play Rogue like classes in RPGs.

Rogues are downright brutal. I decided to reroll a dual wielding one, and he does an insanely amount of damages. Sure, he was more than a little squishy during the 4 first levels, and he still kinda is, but he deals so much damage that as long as he don't get the aggro, his victim won't live long enough to decide to attack him. And now that Grieving Mother unlocked the very useful spell which grants +10 damage reduction to an ally, my rogue is much more durable (and Edér is unkillable). Truly wish I took GM in my first playthrough, her spells are insanely useful.

I just wish they would revamp the sneaking mecanic though (backstab, as of now, is a very so-so talent not worth picking because of it).
Just wait until you get Deathblows. That talent is flatly unfair. If you build your party around status effects and disabling, your stabby rogue just mows through everything. I had nearly twice as much damage dealt as the next party member by the game's end.

You need to be careful with positioning because you're squishy, but the Rogue just has so many fun abilities. A tough enemy engages you? You use Coordinated Positioning to swap with your tank, then circle around to take advantage of Flanked... and then you eviscerate them. Ducking through the lines to slaughter casters or ranged enemies is far more entertaining than sniping with a bow.

Top Bottom