• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

JC Sera

Definitely sounds like you guys haven't met
adra dragon
yet.
She is a crafty fucker. With a somewhat twisted sense of humour.

Arkanius

I'm so pissed right now at the last boss fight
Either I'm missing something, or it seems impossible unless you cheese the system with kites or something

Bluth54

Either I'm missing something, or it seems impossible unless you cheese the system with kites or something

I had my
Cipher charm one of the statues and used every summon spell/summon object I had.

Definitely sounds like you guys haven't met
adra dragon
yet.
She is a crafty fucker. With a somewhat twisted sense of humour.

I loved that character.
She's currently sailing off abroad for merry adventures.

Btw
do you actually miss anything for not killing her? Gear wise. Or is it only a moral choice?

I returned there after getting Durance and it went fine. Though my Wizard dies too much lol

I also just realized that chanter/wizard spells are once per rest. jeez.

Early in the game, the number of Wizard spells feels limiting but there are ways to increase the number of spells you can cast
- keep an eye out at vendors and from some mobs for ring of wizardry. You can pick one up at the start of act 2 at one of the first vendors you come to.

Suffice to say that you don't feel overly constrained after a while. Be sure to make use of Aloth's per-encounter AoE ability.

Moff

well like every boss enemy in the game, with a wizard and petrification it's easy, made it in the first try

Nohar

PoE's engine is leagues better than BG2. But in terms of content it is something between BG1 and BG2, and the game has its flaws.

PS:T is something else entirely, and no one was able to top it (in terms of writing, that is).

Moff

I have Petrification (Gaze of the Adragan) on Aloth, but I only have 3 uses of it. What strategy did you use?

yes that's the one
honestly no strategy required, the spell doesnt just immobilize enemies, it also makes them take 4x damage.
cast it on the adds first, nuke them away, cast it on the boss, nuke him away

Schaulustiger

Neo Member
Can anyone comment on the Guidebook Volume 1 that was released by Obsidian? If I already own the Prima Collector's Edition guide is there any reason to get the other book? I understand the Guidebook is not actually a guide, but how much lore, back story and detail about the companions, world and it's history, etc does it offer that the Prima guide doesn't?

Thanks.
It's comparable to the setting books in D&D. You won't find anything about the actual game story or companions in the Guidebook. Instead, it's a history of the world Eora. If you're a sucker for the game's lore and want to know more about the world's history, the races and the pantheon, it's well worth its money. It contains a lot of information that the Strategy Guide does not have.

Arkanius

Finally finished the game.

Kind of want to do a second run in Expert Mode, I feel I missed most of the stuff for not knowing the world well enough. All the revelations in Act IV were interesting.
My PC was a Cipher since it felt adequate for a Watcher, but I might do a second run with a Rogue, I heard they were imba.

I didn't finish Kana's, Sagani and Hiravias sidequests :(

Irobot82

Speaking of Kana's.
Did I miss something? All I remember was, ok we found the guy, but he's a zombie now. We kill him. Oh well, this tablet thing is illegible now and we're done?!? I think I miss-read something?

Arkanius

Speaking of Kana's.
Did I miss something? All I remember was, ok we found the guy, but he's a zombie now. We kill him. Oh well, this tablet thing is illegible now and we're done?!? I think I miss-read something?

Got myself spoilered but I guess so. Some sidequests were really unsatisfying (e.g Eder)

I'm in the mood for either finally playing Mask of the Betrayer (NWN2) correctly or either doing a replay in Expert. Can't decide which, Help me GAF

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The load times are still killing me post-patch. I can't believe how terrible the loading code is...

Walking around a city and going into and out of buildings is absolute torture. If I see a building with a second floor I groan.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The load times are still killing me post-patch. I can't believe how terrible the loading code is...

It does seem kind of long considering what's being loaded. Even with an SSD it takes a good while.

I gotta say, I'm having trouble really getting into the game. I've played about 3.5 hours or so, have a party of 4 now and am just about to journey to the fort.

So far, I can't really say the story has been very interesting at all, except for the weird stuff going on at that village near the beginning, but nothing really came of that (yet). Combat has been, I dunno... boring so far? I'm really hoping it picks up later on, because early on it seems like you can either just auto-attack an encounter down or you have no hope of winning with little reason to use abilities.

Combine not really gaining experience from battle encounters (of which there are tons), and the fact that there hasn't been any interesting loot so far, and I almost feel like I'm being punished for exploring the environments with interspersed bouts of pure monotony.

Really hoping this game manages to pick up soon and get its claws into me. I love the visuals and some of the background lore seems interesting from the books and such I've read in game. I also backed it on Kickstarter at a pretty decent amount of money.

Did anyone else feel kind of lukewarm on the game in the early bits and later find it really engrossing?

Irobot82

Got myself spoilered but I guess so. Some sidequests were really unsatisfying (e.g Eder)

I'm in the mood for either finally playing Mask of the Betrayer (NWN2) correctly or either doing a replay in Expert. Can't decide which, Help me GAF

I actually really enjoyed Eder's. I thought it's conclusion was fantastic. I understood it's purpose. Kana's I feel like I missed something.

All the sidequests are vaguely similar, and they tie thematically to the overarching plot. They're meant to be "disappointing," because
the characters don't find the clarity or release or closure they're looking for, but come to understand that it's okay and there is still meaning in the search — and in the choices they make
. The whole game is obsessed with legacy, with the wounds the past inflicts on the present, and with how you can move forward.
What does it mean if the narrative your life is based on, or the thing you're searching for, is elusive or illusory? What do you do with that knowledge?

Kana
can't find the historical justification he's looking for, because the tablet is dust and the past is closed to him. But he is still able to find and impose his own meaning on the past — with your help and input.

Eder
will never know what motivated his brother and the past is closed to him. But he is still able to find meaning in the search — and his own choices — with your help and input.

Sagani
can't complete her mission because the person she's looking for is in fact a dying animal. But she is still able to find a way to tell the story of his soul — and find her own meaning in her mission — with your help and input.

Durance
discovers that the justification he had for blowing up a god and his army was false, that he had been totally deceived. But he is still able to find a way to forge ahead and impose meaning on his past and present — with your help and input.

You can do this with most if not all of the characters' sidequests. The overarching thrust is that for a world where your present is supposedly strongly linked to your past — your literal legacy in the soul — you have a lot of room to find your own way and impose your own meaning on the world.
The past may be written, the gods may be concotions, the stories we were told may not be true, but we don't have to let those things define us. We can say what the world is and what it means for us.

Irobot82

Kana
can't find the historical justification he's looking for, because the tablet is dust and the past is closed to him. But he is still able to find and impose his own meaning on the past — with your help and input.

Ok I understood this part
what I didn't understand is why was the guy a zombies and what was the purpose of the elementals? Did he make them?

Ok I understood this part
what I didn't understand is why was the guy a zombies and what was the purpose of the elementals? Did he make them?
The Engwithans
were basically monsters. They slaughtered thousands upon thousands of slaves in their quest to unlock the secrets of souls and advance their version of animancy. The blights you fight on that level are all ancient, tortured leftovers from Engwithan soul experiments. Kana (and others in the world) think of Engwithans as this noble advanced society of yore, but in truth they were dominating butchers who imposed order on the world through atrocity. Kana's task is to reconcile that knowledge with his sense of the importance of the tablet for his own people's past and present. In my game, at least, he came to understand that he — and Rauatai — didn't need to look to the past to make a better, more peaceful future for themselves. If anything, the Engwithans were the ultimate example of why they should forge a new path.

Rezae

More the opposite. I lost steam after completing Act II and ended up feeling that perhaps less would have been more.

Same here. Act II was enjoyable but by the time I started rolling into Act III I've been drained. Struggling to keep going.

I think the loading times are really starting to bug me. There are so many areas I want to explore, but there seems to be excessive loading in every area, every building.

Moff

All the sidequests are vaguely similar, and they tie thematically to the overarching plot. They're meant to be "disappointing," because
the characters don't find the clarity or release or closure they're looking for, but come to understand that it's okay and there is still meaning in the search — and in the choices they make
. The whole game is obsessed with legacy, with the wounds the past inflicts on the present, and with how you can move forward.
What does it mean if the narrative your life is based on, or the thing you're searching for, is elusive or illusory? What do you do with that knowledge?

Kana

Eder
will never know what motivated his brother and the past is closed to him. But he is still able to find meaning in the search — and his own choices — with your help and input.

Sagani
can't complete her mission because the person she's looking for is in fact a dying animal. But she is still able to find a way to tell the story of his soul — and find her own meaning in her mission — with your help and input.

Durance
discovers that the justification he had for blowing up a god and his army was false, that he had been totally deceived. But he is still able to find a way to forge ahead and impose meaning on his past and present — with your help and input.

You can do this with most if not all of the characters' sidequests. The overarching thrust is that for a world where your present is supposedly strongly linked to your past — your literal legacy in the soul — you have a lot of room to find your own way and impose your own meaning on the world.
The past may be written, the gods may be concotions, the stories we were told may not be true, but we don't have to let those things define us. We can say what the world is and what it means for us.

I don't mind that they didnt have closure. I got that, that's not why they were disappointing. they were disappointing because the did not feel fleshed out but short and flat. I mean maybe I did something wrong, but pallagina had only 1 conversation and the quest was over. and many others had only textboxes, too. with durance it worked because it was very well written and had strong ties to the lore and backstory, and because durance was an interesting character.
grieving mother felt very short, too, and it really hurt that I knew in advance what avellone wanted to do, because I'm pretty sure I know what it would have been, basically making a little playable level instead of the last dialogue/text box. and that would have made that quest so much better and satisfying. but like that it just felt flat.

that's why I liked saganis quest the most. It didnt have closure either, but it felt long, fleshed out and had just a beautiful ending.

Nohar

Well, I made it to the Skaen Temple with my Rogue (who, for the record, is rather Cruel). Turns out
the pool of blood
will notice our... potential, and offer us to
sacrifice one of our companions in exchange for power (a very small permanent boost though; said boost will vary depending on who you sacrifice)

If you decide to
sacrifice someone, your companions will react in horror, though they won't know that you are responsible for that person's death

If you decide to
sacrifice Grieving Mother
... Let's just say you are in for some very dark humor, especially with Durance in your party.

Irobot82

The Engwithans
were basically monsters. They slaughtered thousands upon thousands of slaves in their quest to unlock the secrets of souls and advance their version of animancy. The blights you fight on that level are all ancient, tortured leftovers from Engwithan soul experiments. Kana (and others in the world) think of Engwithans as this noble advanced society of yore, but in truth they were dominating butchers who imposed order on the world through atrocity. Kana's task is to reconcile that knowledge with his sense of the importance of the tablet for his own people's past and present. In my game, at least, he came to understand that he — and Rauatai — didn't need to look to the past to make a better, more peaceful future for themselves. If anything, the Engwithans were the ultimate example of why they should forge a new path.

Woah that's deep. Thanks for better explaining that one for me.

Does anyone have any tips for fighting the spirit of
Od Nua
in endless path level 14?

He or his minions just keep paralyzing my entire party.

danthefan

I've a load of stuff in my inventory now like bear skins or rotted flesh or whatever else random mobs drop, can I sell all that or does it have any uses?

Also... how do you enchant? I don't have the option under the crafting menu.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is there a Youtube starters guide? I'm abysmal at these games...

Stevey

I've a load of stuff in my inventory now like bear skins or rotted flesh or whatever else random mobs drop, can I sell all that or does it have any uses?

Also... how do you enchant? I don't have the option under the crafting menu.

To enchant, you inspect the item and there's an enchant button.

I'm in act 3, will I be able to
go back to defiance bay later
?

How do I get to Twin Elms? I've tried every exit in every map,and couldn't reach it(or any other of the grayed out maps in the east)

coopolon

I have a question about ranged rogues.

If I'm always attacking at range, does attacking from stealth do any good? I'm not very far in, just got out of the tutorial ruins and have my first level up and am trying to decide whether I want to invest in stealth or not. If attacking at range from stealth doesn't do any good, then it seems like stealth won't be that useful.

Top Bottom