• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

danthefan

I'm going to ask that really annoying question... how far through am I?

Just hit
Twin Elms
, have been wandering around getting quests and stuff. Am I over half way yet?

I'm banking on Shadowrun having a better story.

I'm honestly debating picking up Shadowrun: Chronicles just to scratch the itch until HK comes out.

Has anyone actually played it? I've seen some impression from the Early Access, but those were quite some time ago.

Terra_Ex

I'm going to ask that really annoying question... how far through am I?

Just hit
Twin Elms
, have been wandering around getting quests and stuff. Am I over half way yet?
You're close to the end, probably closer than you think. How long it takes you to complete the game will largely depend on how much side content you choose to tackle.

danthefan

You're close to the end, probably closer than you think. How long it takes you to complete the game will largely depend on how much side content you choose to tackle.

Interesting, thanks. I've been doing all the side content I come across anyway, though I've no idea how much of the total amount that is, I'm sure I've missed stuff. And I also just
murdered a load of named NPCs in that blood temple so probably cut some stuff off there.

Interesting, thanks. I've been doing all the side content I come across anyway, though I've no idea how much of the total amount that is, I'm sure I've missed stuff. And I also just
murdered a load of named NPCs in that blood temple so probably cut some stuff off there.
There only quest you really spoiled is
murdering a load of named NPCs in that blood temple
, so you're good.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Played a good bit more, finished up Raedric's Keep and did all of the side quests in and surrounding Gilded Vale and upgraded my keep some, but it still really isn't clicking for me. I feel bad for being so unimpressed with what this game has to offer so far considering the insanely positive praise. I don't know... it just seems kind of bland to me. It feels like there is very little to it outside of the combat system (which I can't say is great), and everything seems of such little consequence.

Maybe it's just that the main story hasn't pulled me in at all and really seems kind of uninspired and forced. I have no idea why my companions are sticking with me and there really isn't any sense of urgency at all. I was really interested in the Gilded Vale/Raedric's Keep quest line, but holy shit was that an anti-climactic ending. There should have been some serious implications with multiple characters, but really nothing changed at all. All I get is a repeating line of dialogue and some garbage loot (is there even any non-garbage loot in this game?) as payoff.

Really hoping things pick up soon. I'll at least persevere until the end of Act 1 and see if my opinion changes.

Zabojnik

Have you guys received your collector's edition boxes yet? The mail I got a couple of weeks ago said it was on its way from UK (I think), but so far nothing.

I'm honestly debating picking up Shadowrun: Chronicles just to scratch the itch until HK comes out.

Has anyone actually played it? I've seen some impression from the Early Access, but those were quite some time ago.

Is that the online Shadowrun game? I don't think I've heard a single positive thing about it. IIRC it's just a multiplayer-focused game, so expecting a decent story is... far-fetched.

Begaria

I'm 30 hours into the game and main story wise I've still "started" Act 2 - having to hit the temple in the big city
passed the catacombs - still haven't done it yet
. I've explored quite a bit and I'm about hit the 9th level in the
Endless Path
. Gotta admit, the combat in the game starts slow since you've little to no real combat abilities outside of autoattacking, but once I got up to about level 5 or 6, a lot of good stuff opens up.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a list somewhere of the backer inns? Anyone know who's behind the celestial sapling? Just curious

Wailing Banshee = Gamebanshee
The Goose and Fox = some site who knows
The Black Hound = backer never got back to them, so they made it a BG3 reference
The Club of Refined and Prestigious Gentlemen = RPGcodex

Dunn about the rest.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ at that RPGCodex inn name... may as well have called it "The Fedora and Neckbeard"

I gotta say, aside from the inns, all of the backer stuff in this game kinds of detract from it in my opinion. All of those gold named NPCs are completely pointless and feel out of place with their soul stories that don't tie into the main story or even the general lore of the world. Dumbass Internet names on the plaques in graveyards and such certainly don't add anything worth noting. I guess it's good they got funding for the game, but I hope this stuff doesn't make it into the eventual sequel or follow-up game, although I don't doubt they'll turn to Kickstarter/crowd funding again.

Sou Da

Jesus Christ at that RPGCodex inn name... may as well have called it "The Fedora and Neckbeard"

I gotta say, aside from the inns, all of the backer stuff in this game kinds of detract from it in my opinion. All of those gold named NPCs are completely pointless and feel out of place with their soul stories that don't tie into the main story or even the general lore of the world. Dumbass Internet names on the plaques in graveyards and such certainly don't add anything worth noting. I guess it's good they got funding for the game, but I hope this stuff doesn't make it into the eventual sequel or follow-up game, although I don't doubt they'll turn to Kickstarter/crowd funding again.

It's not an inn, it's a club inside full of frauds selling forged weapons inside of a brothel.

PFD

I don't mind the backer stuff. The only silly thing imo are the grave plaques. But I have learned to ignore those.

Yeah, talk about a random difficulty spike. I've cruised through the other levels, but that one made me reevaluate all my team members and tactics.

I did fine there but the Ogres + Ogre Druids on your way to Twin Elms were like a huge smack in the head. Breaking out the charm + sleep a lot more for that crew to keep it manageable.

Yeah, talk about a random difficulty spike. I've cruised through the other levels, but that one made me reevaluate all my team members and tactics.

It did help me discover that I can stealth and pull stragglers using my rogue. I had no idea till then about the attack button being able to attack targets that are appearing as Friendly...game needs better tutorial or something.

25 odd hours in, I wish the story/plot was conveyed better.

Okay so that's what the deal is with the gold NPCs...they're backers? Some of them are so long-winded, that it pains me to read (I know, I know). So they really don't tie into anything really?

Sou Da

Okay so that's what the deal is with the gold NPCs...they're backers? Some of them are so long-winded, that it pains me to read (I know, I know). So they really don't tie into anything really?

I think they are a few backer characters that can become enemies on a certain quest.

I think they are a few backer characters that can become enemies on a certain quest.

Ahh okay..some of them are interesting but a lot of them don't amount to much (the soul memories) and especially after reading 3-4 paragraphs. I was hoping there was more to them.

Played a good bit more, finished up Raedric's Keep and did all of the side quests in and surrounding Gilded Vale and upgraded my keep some, but it still really isn't clicking for me. I feel bad for being so unimpressed with what this game has to offer so far considering the insanely positive praise. I don't know... it just seems kind of bland to me. It feels like there is very little to it outside of the combat system (which I can't say is great), and everything seems of such little consequence.

Maybe it's just that the main story hasn't pulled me in at all and really seems kind of uninspired and forced. I have no idea why my companions are sticking with me and there really isn't any sense of urgency at all. I was really interested in the Gilded Vale/Raedric's Keep quest line, but holy shit was that an anti-climactic ending. There should have been some serious implications with multiple characters, but really nothing changed at all. All I get is a repeating line of dialogue and some garbage loot (is there even any non-garbage loot in this game?) as payoff.

Really hoping things pick up soon. I'll at least persevere until the end of Act 1 and see if my opinion changes.

You aren't done with that quest line even if it seems it's over.

You're not alone. Some of the themes (the bomb, the wind,...) in the game are really interesting but the quests themselves are not that inspired. I was extremely disappointed with the ending of Act 2 and actually Act 2 in general. There was so much potential for interesting setups with the parties involved but it ends up being really shallow. Compare that to Fallout: New Vegas where the faction system was much more dynamic and didn't boil down to 'you accepted my quest, now we're friends'. The game does a hell of a bad job of giving weight to your choices and that's a pretty big disappointment because I really expected more from this game in the storytelling department. The characters aren't that special either besides Durance and Grieving Mother (unsurprisingly written by Avellone). Then there are a few other annoyances in the game such as the Stronghold, the GAF inn, the Codex club, all the backer stuff which really discredit the universe Obsidian is trying to build.

Don't get me wrong, the game is not bad, it is just that I expected a lot more from it. Hopefully they laid the foundations like NWN2 did for Mask of the Betrayer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh okay..some of them are interesting but a lot of them don't amount to much (the soul memories) and especially after reading 3-4 paragraphs. I was hoping there was more to them.

I just stopped reading them after the first 10 or so I encountered were just blocks of pointless text. I don't need to read three paragraphs of overly descriptive text about some random Paladin or whatever leading his battalion. They amounted to nothing. Maybe if there was at least some possible interaction with the character, but nope... Then you have the gold-haired Goku looking guy in the GAF inn, I think it was. I just ignore them now, but I kind of wish I could just turn them all off so they don't appear at all.

You're not alone. Some of the themes (the bomb, the wind,...) in the game are really interesting but the quests themselves are not that inspired. I was extremely disappointed with the ending of Act 2 and actually Act 2 in general. There was so much potential for interesting setups with the parties involved but it ends up being really shallow. Compare that to Fallout: New Vegas where the faction system was much more dynamic and didn't boil down to 'you accepted my quest, now we're friends'. The game does a hell of a bad job of giving weight to your choices and that's a pretty big disappointment because I really expected more from this game in the storytelling department. The characters aren't that special either besides Durance and Grieving Mother (unsurprisingly written by Avellone). Then there are a few other annoyances in the game such as the Stronghold, the GAF inn, the Codex club, all the backer stuff which really discredit the universe Obsidian is trying to build.

Don't get me wrong, the game is not bad, it is just that I expected a lot more from it. Hopefully they laid the foundations like NWN2 did for Mask of the Betrayer.

Nice to know I'm not alone. I'm still keeping with the game. Just explored the main city and did a bunch of side stuff. There are some really cool bits here and there, but overall my feelings remain unchanged for the most part. I'm thinking of ditching some of these garbage companions (seriously, does this Chanter guy ever get useful?) and hiring some generic adventurers, but I don't want to miss any story bits.

JC Sera

I just stopped reading them after the first 10 or so I encountered were just blocks of pointless text. I don't need to read three paragraphs of overly descriptive text about some random Paladin or whatever leading his battalion. They amounted to nothing. Maybe if there was at least some possible interaction with the character, but nope... Then you have the gold-haired Goku looking guy in the GAF inn, I think it was. I just ignore them now, but I kind of wish I could just turn them all off so they don't appear at all.

Nice to know I'm not alone. I'm still keeping with the game. Just explored the main city and did a bunch of side stuff. There are some really cool bits here and there, but overall my feelings remain unchanged for the most part. I'm thinking of ditching some of these garbage companions (seriously, does this Chanter guy ever get useful?) and hiring some generic adventurers, but I don't want to miss any story bits.
Summons man, summons

Corum

On the topic of summons I reached level 5 of Cad Nua and ran into a large group of Xaurips, this one spell ripped through my party and rebounded off the small walls around us leaving my rogue and Eder alive. The rogue tore through a few Xaurips whilst Eder casually smacked away at a few but the rogue's dying action was to summon a beetle using one of the items I picked earlier in the game. That beetle chowed down on some Xaurips whilst Eder held on, I love that beetle.

In general crowd control rules the roost in most fights, so summons that can occupy mobs, as well as the awesome level 2 chant that stuns in a cone, are super helpful. Level four wizard AoE sleep is another big winner there.

I'm travelling with GM now to try to advance her story and slowly learning her abilities, I really like the chain-lightning like damage bit, and the force push damage bit. Still not sure I understand her regen mechanics, tied to dying mobs?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Summons man, summons

God's truth. I was trying to take down one of the bounties and everyone in the entire party and all the enemies were killed except for two Will-'o-the-Wisps summoned by Kana (before he died) and one last Lurker. Even though the Lurker managed to take out one of the two WoWs, the last survivor managed to kill him (with one dot of health left)! So suspenseful.

Brojito

Neo Member
I'm travelling with GM now to try to advance her story and slowly learning her abilities, I really like the chain-lightning like damage bit, and the force push damage bit. Still not sure I understand her regen mechanics, tied to dying mobs?

If you're talking about Focus, the Cipher "resource" that is used to cast spells, it's generated by causing damage to enemies. I believe every time you cause damage it generates a certain amount of focus, which can be increased by different abilities and passive affects.

I just started a game with a Cipher, and they're pretty OP at least early on. Incredibly useful spells that basically have no limit to cast as long as you keep doing damage.

Trickster

So I bought some items via my stronghold from visitors who wanted to sell me some specific items. However I don't have them anywhere in my inventory.

Anyone know where those items are?

So I bought some items via my stronghold from visitors who wanted to sell me some specific items. However I don't have them anywhere in my inventory.

Anyone know where those items are?

In the stronghold lockbox? It's the room off to the right from the statue that talks to you.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ugh, my stronghold hirings are all aggroed to me. This has got to be a bug I hope - i didn't hit them with anything.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm in the sanatorium and everyone turned hostile for no apparent reasons, even upon loading. Wtf is this shit? My last save was over 10 hours ago. How to fix?!

Ugh, my stronghold hirings are all aggroed to me. This has got to be a bug I hope - i didn't hit them with anything.

I had a similar bug heading into Scrivener's where everyone aggroed. Reloaded a save (from 25+ minutes before :( ) and stealthed while activating the door to enter the zone and that fixed it. Not sure how you'd do similar for world map level zone transitions though...

Top Bottom