• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

d00d3n

Anyone with a good strategy for the npc Fampyr and his gang of undead in endless paths level 8?
Yes, I have talked to him in his language, but now I want the loot ...
Spent a good 45 minutes attempting different approaches yesterday. Using two tanks to block one of the bridges does not work especially well, due to the double skeleton wizards blasting you with aoe. The defensive wall can also fall at any moment if the Fampyr decides to use his charm spell. What is the best positioning for the battle? Casters behind the throne killing off skeleton wizards as first order of business and transitioning to buff/aoe damage, while tank and off-tank are handling the Fampyr and the undead knights on the other side? Or do I just need a batter strategy on the bridge?

My party consists of a main character wizard, eder, aloth, durance, grieving mother and kana.

Sijil

Anyone can help with sacrificial bloodlines quest?

Trying to poison Simoc, from my understanding I need either 19 resolve or 19 intellect, so I got the poison and managed to raise my intellect to 24 but no matter what all my attempts to poison him fails, what gives? I'm well over the minimum here.

Thanks.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone can help with sacrificial bloodlines quest?

Trying to poison Simoc, from my understanding I need either 19 resolve or 19 intellect, so I got the poison and managed to raise my intellect to 24 but no matter what all my attempts to poison him fails, what gives? I'm well over the minimum here.

Thanks.
You need 19 INT and PER. You only need 20 RES.

Anyone with a good strategy for the npc Fampyr and his gang of undead in endless paths level 8?
If you've got a wizard, try confusion to get the others to attack the lord, like the spellcasters. Try using a stun spell like the cipher's on the lord. Get him out the way first, he's the most dangerous.

Are stat checks limited to main character? I've managed to reach the check on Pellegina for "The wailing Banshee" but the dialogue option remains unselectable.

I don't know why they don't just make a spiritual successor with all the same concepts since Sega holds the IP. Just have to find a publisher willing to support them first.

I wish they'd do this with Fallout 3 / Van Buren
They could just make Van Buren the way they were going to make it and change a couple of names.

Hell, They could call the game itself Van Buren.
Maybe That's what this is all about:
http://www.pcgamer.com/van-buren-and-meantime-trademarks-filed-by-inxile/

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Are stat checks limited to main character? I've managed to reach the check on Pellegina for "The wailing Banshee" but the dialogue option remains unselectable.

Yup, all conversation stat checks are main character only.

d00d3n

If you've got a wizard, try confusion to get the others to attack the lord, like the spellcasters. Try using a stun spell like the cipher's on the lord. Get him out the way first, he's the most dangerous.

Thanks for the help! I was already using the cipher stun, but confusion definitely helped. In the end I returned to the second bridge (leading to the map exit), blocked the path with tank and off-tank and had some powerful anti-confusion gear on the main tank. Enemy charm spells only hit my casters a couple of times, so the defensive line never broke. Spammed offensive spells and heals like crazy. Some beetle summons, chanter summons and confusion spells kept some of the enemies occupied, while I focused on damaging the Fampyr. When he went down after 20 minutes or so, it turned out that almost everybody else had died as well.

What a Dark Souls-esque feeling of relief it was to finally beat this encounter. The game can feel like easy mode at times playing with well developed casters protected by two tanks, but I am glad they decided to throw me off with this difficult encounter. I hope more stuff like this awaits on the lowest levels of the endless paths ...

KingV

Near the end of the game, and itnkind of surprised me. I expected to be higher level given I am only at level 8. I'm mostly steam rolling through encounters except for a few in the next to last story quest.

I turned combat down to easy in the beginning, and I'm wondering if I just didn't have enough opportunity to get XP because of the lower enemy count.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Near the end of the game, and itnkind of surprised me. I expected to be higher level given I am only at level 8. I'm mostly steam rolling through encounters except for a few in the next to last story quest.

I turned combat down to easy in the beginning, and I'm wondering if I just didn't have enough opportunity to get XP because of the lower enemy count.

You don't get xp for kills (other then the bestiary stuff), you've apparently just skipped an enormous amount of side content. I hit the level cap (12) just before I started act 3.

I think he biggest obstacle for me beating the
Adra Dragon
is its fear aura. my characters can't scratch that thing with that accuracy loss.
What stat reduces the chance of fear working on your character? Will?

~Kinggi~

Banned
You guys all watch the documentary? Really fantastic, so wonderful to see it. This and the double fine doc are something else. Games rarely get this type of exposure in the behind the scenes.

O.DOGG

You guys all watch the documentary? Really fantastic, so wonderful to see it. This and the double fine doc are something else. Games rarely get this type of exposure in the behind the scenes.

Thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot this came out, too busy playing the Witcher for the past two weeks. Downloading now.

Finally beat it.
There are few things i don't understand about the ending:

1) If the gods don't exist,who did I speak with in Teir Evron?
2) If Thaos knows the gods don't exist,how come he serves Weodica? And his master plan is to make her stronger,but if she's not real...

I really hope Obsidian will make a sequel\expansions. This world they created is worth another visit.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Finally beat it.
There are few things i don't understand about the ending:

1) If the gods don't exist,who did I speak with in Teir Evron?
2) If Thaos knows the gods don't exist,how come he serves Weodica? And his master plan is to make her stronger,but if she's not real...

I really hope Obsidian will make a sequel\expansions. This world they created is worth another visit.

They
do exist, but they were created by mortal beings. So, they didn't start the universe or anything.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just tried playing this on my work computer. I couldn't believe it, but the load times were only like 2-5 seconds between areas. On my home PC they are around 10-15 seconds between areas.

What is going on here? My work PC is much lower spec than my home PC (770 8 gigs ram i5 at work, 980 12 gigs ram i5 at home).

Has there been some fix for the loading times that people have figured out?

Zabojnik

I just tried playing this on my work computer. I couldn't believe it, but the load times were only like 2-5 seconds between areas. On my home PC they are around 10-15 seconds between areas.

What is going on here? My work PC is much lower spec than my home PC (770 8 gigs ram i5 at work, 980 12 gigs ram i5 at home).

SSD vs. HDD? Can't think of anything else.

Takes 10-15 seconds on both mine and my partner's PC as well. Both are installed on an SSD. Not sure what made it 2-5 seconds quick but I wish I knew :)

All of the load screens is probably my biggest gripe with the game. Well, that and the numbskull AI at times!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

If you have a lot of save game files, they slow the game down. If you're making back up saves, periodically put the older ones in a separate directory.

Giolon

Hey guys, bee a while since I've started this up, but I've noticed a whole slew of patches. Anything significantly game changing in them?

It's almost all bug fixes and balance changes. Ciphers slightly less OP, Wizards slightly less UP.

They added the Documentary if you purchased a package that includes it. Look in your game directory for it.

Almighty

Apparently my physical copy finally shipped. Should be here Friday. ha

Yeah I got mine yesterday finally. Though the ass clowns over at Paradox decided it would be best to ship it in an envelope instead of a box so now the game box is pretty squished in places. Overall I am very disappointed with how Obsidian/Paradox handled the standard physical tier and I doubt I will bother with physical again in the future.

Sober

Why did I get a tiny 1.5MB update today on Steam?

please don't tell me they removed Chris Avellone from the credits or something :O

The latest update on kickstarter for Lords of the Eastern Reach mentions an announcement from Obsidian on June 17th relating to Pillars of Eternity which could be information on the expansion.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-lords-of-the-eastern-reach-car/posts/1261378

"Yes, the $165k stretch goal is a mystery. We can tell you that it will be more cards. What kind of cards? We can’t tell you until Obsidian makes an announcement for Pillars of Eternity the video game on June 17th. Let the speculation begin!"

My physical copy arrived yesterday, finally. It should not have taken months after launch to finally send them. And yeah, it's a bit disappointing; the box is a small cardboard box, in the style of '00s PC games, not a big box as the physical backer edition of Wasteland 2 was. That's too bad. The manual is good and I read through it, but a bit thin at only 71 pages -- it's just got the vital information without any flavor text and very few drawings. If they were trying to make something like the Baldur's Gate games, the manual certainly is not on their level. Two pages also came out of the manual on day one after reading through it, so yeah, not impressed with the quality there (should have gone with spiral-bound like the BG2 or Wasteland 2 manuals!). At least my box was intact and not crushed.

And I install the game to find that there is no way to patch the physical backer copy currently! Until they get around to making a patcher, it's stuck at version 1.04. Uhh... patches. Release them for people with disc copies, come on. The game is up to 1.06 now, on digital-download sites. This is a problem; even if 1.04 is stable, come on, have this set up. I really like that the edition in the box is entirely DRM-free, you just install it off the DVD and play without any online check needed at all. That's awesome. It's also interesting that the whole game can fit on one DVD despite being 15GB -- there are three discs in the case, but it's one each for Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, they should have had a patcher ready.

Still, it is nice to have; I like the artwork on the DVD case in the box, and even if the manual has issues and the box is smaller than it should be, it's better than just having the game digitally, I think. But I don't know if I'd back another physical box from Obsidian again, maybe not. InXile definitely did a better job with the Wasteland 2 box and contents -- that one wasn't just a larger box with a spiral-bound manual (90-something pages, so a bit more than this game but not thick), but they also included a cloth map. A paper map like BG1 or 2 would have been great to have in PoE. This has no map unless you pay for the much more expensive limited-edition tier, which I didn't do. However Wasteland 2 does require Steam even when installing from the discs, so PoE does win in that regard.

Eusis

I wonder if sticking the GOG installer on the disc would've been best, or no? Might be a bit base, and perhaps there's nostalgia with a more orthodox install method, but patching would just be a matter of offering the same patches GOG does.

Top Bottom