• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

So my box came in totes beat up and scratched. Who do I bark at to get a replacement because this shit is nanners. I'll post pics later when I can.

Unai

I wonder if sticking the GOG installer on the disc would've been best, or no? Might be a bit base, and perhaps there's nostalgia with a more orthodox install method, but patching would just be a matter of offering the same patches GOG does.

The best is like the Witcher 3, where you can optionally register it on gog or just play it 100% DRM-Free without online activations.

ev0

So my box came in totes beat up and scratched. Who do I bark at to get a replacement because this shit is nanners. I'll post pics later when I can.

I ordered the normal boxed copy (cardboard box) and they sent it in a thin envelope.

When I took it out it looks like someone sat on my copy, Argh

Eusis

The best is like the Witcher 3, where you can optionally register it on gog or just play it 100% DRM-Free without online activations.
Yeah, I figured Witcher 3 would come with a GOG key BUT not mandate you use it. I do wonder if it's basically a GOG installer though or something different, and if it'd take the same patches the GOG version does anyway.

Kimaka

Got mine's today. Luckily, it is in pretty good condition, although they should have sent it in a better container. It only came in an envelope with bubble wrap lining which doesn't prevent the box being smashed.

dude

dude
For me the box is nice bonus, rather than why I backed at that level. I mainly got it so that I could have a reason to spend more money on the game and to have something to put on a shelf somewhere. So I can't get too disappointed about it.

Zabojnik

Love my CE box and everything in it ... except the 'cloth' map. The print resolution is so bad I can't even read most of the names. Shame.

Firebrand

I played the game a bit at release, liked it, but then I stopped when that bug with losing abilities were discovered.

If I were to resume my game now, are all the changes to classes, level up stats etc retroactive, or would it be best for me to start over? I'm only in the first town so it's not a huge deal.

dude

dude
I played the game a bit at release, liked it, but then I stopped when that bug with losing abilities were discovered.

If I were to resume my game now, are all the changes to classes, level up stats etc retroactive, or would it be best for me to start over? I'm only in the first town so it's not a huge deal.

From what I know, they're all retroactive. Just continue from your existing save :)

Irobot82

Question,

On Obsidian's website there is artwork of the new expansion, Eder is smoking a pipe, you can see Sagani, Havaris and the two new characters Zahua and The Devil of Caroc. Anyone know how to dig into the website to snag that image? It would make a KILLER wallpaper and I'm hoping it's really in high def.

No gameplay. I'd be shocked if we didn't see anything over E3, though.

Josh Sawyer was on the TwitchTV live stream last night showing new gameplay. They've added companion AI and a bunch of other great features.

EDIT: Well duckroll did it in the Expansion thread. It's not high-res.

XXrmoaU.jpg

dude

dude
Sawyer also confirmed backers get both parts of the expansion.
They also added Multi-Class Talents (similar to D&D 4e multi-classing from the sound of it.)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I need a second body so that it can be ready as well.

I'm finally started playing through this, and I'm very pleased so far. However, I started with a priest character and I think I'm going to start over with a different class. Priests just aren't that fun to play, and seem to have minimal usefulness so far. I typically go with a ranger type character in role playing games, but I would like to try something different. Any suggestions for fun classes? Also, how much should I be focusing with skills when leveling up? Should I focus one just one or two, or can I spread the points out a little more. I'm excited to dive a little deeper into this game, it's been fun so far.

Altazor

How is the expansion going to fit with the original game?

Josh Sawyer said it's unrelated to the main quest, if I understood correctly it pops up after you gain access to your stronghold.

After watching the stream, EVERYTHING JOSH SAID (and the gameplay shown) HYPES ME UP EVEN MORE. New areas, new companions, multi-class talents, improved targeting reticule, party AI - fuck yes.

Niahak

I'm finally started playing through this, and I'm very pleased so far. However, I started with a priest character and I think I'm going to start over with a different class. Priests just aren't that fun to play, and seem to have minimal usefulness so far. I typically go with a ranger type character in role playing games, but I would like to try something different. Any suggestions for fun classes? Also, how much should I be focusing with skills when leveling up? Should I focus one just one or two, or can I spread the points out a little more. I'm excited to dive a little deeper into this game, it's been fun so far.

I tried starting out with Ranger and found it to be too much micromanagement with the animals. I prefer a hands-off playstyle on Normal difficulty (which is honestly pretty easy).

If you like active play, Cipher, Druid or Wizard would probably be good.
If you prefer more passive play, Chanter, Barbarian and Fighter are good.
Monk can be tweaked in either direction based on whether you rely on wounds for abilities or for passives. Rogue is kind of in between.

Didn't use a Paladin much, but consensus here seemed to be that they're underpowered and boring.

Available companions will be one of each class other than (not plot spoiler or anything, some people just prefer to find out on their own)
Barbarian, Monk, and Rogue
. Early on you can get a
Wizard, Fighter, and Priest
, so if you are one of those you may have duplicate duties.

As far as skills go, focus each character in one skill with a few points in Athletics for just about everyone to stave off fatigue. Survival can be useful if you use lots of consumables, and Lore if you use scrolls. You'll absolutely want someone focused in Mechanics, everything else is less essential.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Josh Sawyer said it's unrelated to the main quest, if I understood correctly it pops up after you gain access to your stronghold.

After watching the stream, EVERYTHING JOSH SAID (and the gameplay shown) HYPES ME UP EVEN MORE. New areas, new companions, multi-class talents, improved targeting reticule, party AI - fuck yes.

Cool - I was just wondering because I've only played up to Caed Nua so far and at the rate I play games I could just wait if it reflects back on the main game in any relevant way. Did they say the adventure is targetted for higher level characters?

Altazor

Didn't use a Paladin much, but consensus here seemed to be that they're underpowered and boring.

My MC is a Paladin and... yes, it's kinda boring. Not as useful as a tank as Edér, not enough powerful/fun spells like Aloth/Durance/Grieving Mother. I'm too far to quit, so I'll press on ahead. It's not that bad, anyway, I'm still having a lot of fun.

Cool - I was just wondering because I've only played up to Caed Nua so far and at the rate I play games I could just wait if it reflects back on the main game in any relevant way. Did they say the adventure is targetted for higher level characters?

If I understood correctly, it checks your party level when you access the content (which you can do either mid-game or even right before the end) and if it's too high it asks you if you want the content to scale to your current level (lest you curbstomp everything).

Unai

So, if I haven't played the base game yet, I think at this point it's better to wait? Some of those changes seem like improvements that extend to the main game itself.

Altazor

So, if I haven't played the base game yet, I think at this point it's better to wait? Some of those changes seem like improvements that extend to the main game itself.

I think I'm the wrong kind of guy to answer that question to be honest - I've been playing since the very first Backer Beta, which was unstable as fuck, very rough around the edges, and made my PC wheeze like Walter White before getting chemo :lol

The base game has impoved a lot from the early days, both from a balance and UI perspective. I'd say give it a try because, hey - more people playing PoE is always a good thing. If you think you'd rather wait (a couple more months) for the expansion improvements, you're free to do so anyway :D

GECK

Party AI and semi multi-class talents were 1/2 on my list of additions since the intial alpha build release. Hitting frenzy to start every encounter got really fucking old. Will be great fun to go full Conan with Barb sneak attacks.

Farks!

I have not played the game yet, but reading latest codex review put a bit of a break on my desire to do so

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9952

(by vault dweller and grunker)

A big chunck of codexians have been notoriously synical about the game almost since it was announced on Kickstarter, and those reviewers seems to be among them. Their criticism of the combat essentially boils down to "it's not TB, therefore it sucks!".

Don't let one review turn you off.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, the majority of reviews I have read for Dungeons 2 would have put me off the game. Too bad for the reviewers I had already seen the game live.

Reviewers often suck, I only trust Total Biscuit and Jim Sterling nowadays. The rest seem cynical, jaded and unable to give games a fair chance. IGN's infamous "I couldn’t imagine why anybody would prefer Football Manager 2009 to FIFA 09 or Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, 2/10 terrible" comes to mind.

petghost

Banned
I think if poe was created in like 2003 by troika or something codex folks would be all over it. It has disappointing aspects imo but I think what they are mainly reacting to is the circumstances around it's creation and hype and all that.

injurai

Banned
A big chunck of codexians have been notoriously synical about the game almost since it was announced on Kickstarter, and those reviewers seems to be among them. Their criticism of the combat essentially boils down to "it's not TB, therefore it sucks!".

Don't let one review turn you off.

Given how almost none of the infinity engine games are turn-based, and crpgs classics often aren't truly TB. I find complaints on TB to be very petty. I think the new Torment may actually suffer for being TB.

Top Bottom