• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Altazor

oh man, I got truly fucking #rekt near the entrance to Elmshore by a couple of Earth Blights and another enemy (whose name escapes me now). Never stood a chance.

Just starting to play this (it came out at a bad time for me) and I'm really liking it so far.

I chose a Fighter because this should be an easy class to play as a beginner. No idea which skills I'm supposed to go for, but I'm just rolling with it and putting points into skills I think are good.

What I enjoy the most is the dialogue choices and the quests. Oh man, the quests. I'm enjoying the main quest but all these side quests are so good as well. I'm only in the starting city now, the one with the big corpse tree and I'm hooked.

Amazing.

I had a strong urge to go back to this and start over today. (I started at launch played for 20ish hours and put it down to wait for a patch to fix some major issues, then got distracted) But seeing that the 2.0 patch and DLC are coming soon, I guess I should wait a bit longer.

Altazor

Just starting to play this (it came out at a bad time for me) and I'm really liking it so far.

I chose a Fighter because this should be an easy class to play as a beginner. No idea which skills I'm supposed to go for, but I'm just rolling with it and putting points into skills I think are good.

What I enjoy the most is the dialogue choices and the quests. Oh man, the quests. I'm enjoying the main quest but all these side quests are so good as well. I'm only in the starting city now, the one with the big corpse tree and I'm hooked.

Amazing.

and you still haven't reached Act 2 yet. Oh god.

You have like 100000 of quests (exaggerating, but you get the point) available at some point and it's so good.

GECK

Going to wait for the expansion for a new potd playthrough. But I have to say after messing with the 2.0 for a bit that the party AI resolved my main issue with the combat in general. I'm baffled it wasn't in at release as it makes those trash encounters flow much better.

Altazor

I managed to defeat (Act 2 spoilers?)
Cail the Silent
without much hassle, hah. Then again, I was probably overleveled - my party was level 9 and the last time I tried (a LONG time ago), I got destroyed. Now... it was a minor inconvenience at most.

Slicken is still one of the GOAT spells.

Altazor

Sorry for the double post. Also, Act 3 sidequest spoilers

So... difficult decision up ahead, I think. Either
I kill an orlan kid or the respected leader of the glanfathan tribe
. I don't like either choice but I'm inclined to
kill the guy, 'cause he's a bit of a xenophobic asshole. Then again, I do see his point when a lot of foreigners throughout his life have been more interested in pillaging/plundering/conquering/killing than something else.

Ugh, choices, choices. What did you guys do at that point?

Labadal

Sorry for the double post. Also, Act 3 sidequest spoilers

So... difficult decision up ahead, I think. Either
I kill an orlan kid or the respected leader of the glanfathan tribe
. I don't like either choice but I'm inclined to
kill the guy, 'cause he's a bit of a xenophobic asshole. Then again, I do see his point when a lot of foreigners throughout his life have been more interested in pillaging/plundering/conquering/killing than something else.

Ugh, choices, choices. What did you guys do at that point?
Killed him and his men.

LordAmused

Allright, got some info about TWM expansion.

- No preorders, will go live on Aug, 25th.
- Price is 14.99 USD for Part I. Part I & II is 24.99 USD.

1440105883-sans-titre-1.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think I'll buy both parts together. No sense in wasting 5 dollars more when buying Part 2 next year, or whatever.

Yeah I definitely am grabbing both parts for $25. I already know I am going to buy pretty much all PoE content Obsidian throws my way.

Altazor

Yeah I definitely am grabbing both parts for $25. I already know I am going to buy pretty much all PoE content Obsidian throws my way.

oh, absolutely. I'm wondering if White March pt. 2 will be the last PoE expansion before the inevitable sequel.

Because, I gotta be honest - I haven't finished PoE yet and I want a sequel.

Giever

So, I never got very far in this when I first started and I plan on waiting for 2.0 now before starting over. But, question, does the expansion sort of integrate into the main campaign, or is it an additional thing beyond?

Like, would it be better to buy the expansion before starting a new game, or would it be fine to just beat the base game, then buy the expansion if I want, because it all happens afterwards/separately?

Altazor

I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure why I haven't finished it yet, but with the exp coming it might be the swift kick in the balls that I need.

I'd say it's an excellent time to jump back into it.

So, I never got very far in this when I first started and I plan on waiting for 2.0 now before starting over. But, question, does the expansion sort of integrate into the main campaign, or is it an additional thing beyond?

Like, would it be better to buy the expansion before starting a new game, or would it be fine to just beat the base game, then buy the expansion if I want, because it all happens afterwards/separately?

It's definitely not a sequel - more of a big quest that opens up after you gain your stronghold in the main game (which is early/mid game, I'd say?)

Unai

I've started playing the game and decided that I woud wait for the patch, but I can't wait any longer. I'll download the beta patch right now and begin again.

Tenebrous

Tomorroooooooooooooow! :D

Time flies.

It doesn't fly fast enough, and when it arrives, Pillars and Mega Man will have to fight it out for my time.

I want to play Path of the Damned & Expert Mode, and I'm thinking of going with an all out tank character... Leaning towards a Warrior with low damage & just max mitigation stats, as that way I can avoid using
Eder
who I used in my first run.

Wow, so the xpac is coming out imminently, huh? I didn't realise.

Those sound cool. I wonder how they'll balance the unlocks to avoid a feeling of "grinding." Hopefully the progression is meaningful without feeling pointless or grind-y.

Unlocking the lore a piece at a time is an interesting idea. Depending on how they dispense it, it could be a really cool thing.

In short, cool.

I want a Soulbound druid form. Obsidian pls

Altazor

oh indeed. It's a damn good price.

Oh wow I didn't even know about these, awesome!

Me neither! I don't recall any discussion about them in the White March announcement a while ago - so it was a very nice surprise :D

Those sound cool. I wonder how they'll balance the unlocks to avoid a feeling of "grinding." Hopefully the progression is meaningful without feeling pointless or grind-y.

Yeah, it's a delicate balance.

Nyx

Amazing.

Ha, this could have been me!
Stopped playing last night at the exact same spot.

Menome

So, with Patch 2.00 out today; this sentence in the notes from when it was in Beta suggests that previous saves will be incompatible with Patch 2.00?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/291650/announcements/detail/132080773557782343

NOTE: Backups of 1.06 saves are created in your Saved Games folder. 2.0+ saves may not be used in 1.06 and earlier builds.

Or is this just for the Beta-build that saves weren't able to mesh together properly?

I'm only a few hours in to the game, so a restart isn't much hassle for me. I've been very, very patient waiting for Party AI, but this is going to be a bit of a problem for other players if it's happening, especially considering the expansion happens partway into the game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think you have it reversed - it is saying saves created after you update to 2.0 will not be compatible with older versions of the game. It makes pre-2.0 backups of any saves you have when you update to 2.0 just in case.

Menome

I think you have it reversed - it is saying saves created after you update to 2.0 will not be compatible with older versions of the game. It makes pre-2.0 backups of any saves you have when you update to 2.0 just in case.

Okay, now that you it that way, I can see how it's actually meant to be read.

Thought it was about to be a return to the dark days of CRPG-patching.

Anoregon

It's only going to be available on Uplay

Menome

My copy of the base game just updated, Patch 2.00 may already be live.

EDIT: Confirmed. Patch is live. Go go go hold-backers like myself!

Top Bottom