• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Caronte

I tried to wear those clothes but now that I butchered a lot of them it doesn't work, lol.
I agreed to help Osrya because fighting her was pretty much impossible there, now I'm not sure if I can still kill Raedric but I'll try. afaik, not killing Raedric gives you a better reward?

also got the stronghold, and I decided to unlock the artifact in the level 13 of the whatever maze. is that thing worth it?

I don't know, I haven't played beyond Caed Nua yet.

Haeleos

The 2.0 beta patch should be released today (hopefully, as they've pushed it back a couple times). If you want to test it out, type BETAPASSWORD as the password under the Beta tab in the game's properties menu on Steam.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is that similar to a WoW pre-expansion patch, where it has all of the mechanical changes but not the new content?

aravuus

Wait what, 2.0 adds party AI? Damn, wish we knew something like this was coming when the game was released, would have definitely waited.

Oh well, guess I gotta replay it then!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wait, when's the expansion coming out again? And does it continue the story or how does it fit with the main campaign?

It is extra content fitted into the existing campaign, it does not continue after the current one ends. More like the BG1 xpac than the BG2 xpac.

Finalow

Wait what, 2.0 adds party AI? Damn, wish we knew something like this was coming when the game was released, would have definitely waited.

Oh well, guess I gotta replay it then!
wutparty AI? I want to try this now.

seeing my wizard waste all his spells on low level enemies should be fun.

Haeleos

The 2.0 beta has been released on Steam. If you want to test it out, type BETAPASSWORD as the access code under the Beta tab in the game's properties menu on Steam. Here's the changelist so far...

BAdler on Obsidian Forums said:
Hey, everyone. The changelist for this beta is very large and we are still going through it all. We will be listing many of our fixes and changes, but some may fall through the cracks.

NOTE: Backups of 1.06 saves are created in your Saved Games folder. 2.0+ saves may not be used in 1.06 and earlier builds.

Major Known Issues

- After long period of playing audio can start to cut out erratically. It is being investigated and should be fixed before the next beta patch.
- Some recipes were not intended to be released and will not show in the UI correctly. They will be removed in the next Update beta release.

Major New Features

- Companion AI: You may now set your companions to use AI. For those of you that do not want to micromanage your party, you may now choose to have the AI perform basic commands for you. You can activate and deactivate the AI control at any time, so you can still have ultimate party control when you need it. Each class has specialized AI packages and we will be adding more in the future.
- Improved Creature AI: Creatures and NPCs will now act more intelligently and make better use of their abilities and spells.
- Character Retraining: You may now retrain your character and modify their stats for a small fee.
- Individual Stealth: You may now place individual party members into scouting mode. If some of your party enters combat you will no longer have your entire party leave stealth.
- Range Indicators: There are now range indicators to let you know the casting range of spells and abilities. Now you will know if your wizard is going to move before he casts that Fireball. =)
- Accuracy Indicators: You are now shown the chance to hit on all attacks, abilities, and spells by mousing-over a potential target.

Fixed Issues

Areas

- Fixed issue where Calisca was not being teleported after resting in the Ruin Interior.

Attributes, Abilities, Spells, and Skills

- Changed Perception bonus from Deflection to Accuracy.
- Fixed crash that could happen if a Wizard had the Blast ability and targeting many targets.
- Increased Constitution bonus to Endurance and Health from 3% to 5%.
- Changed lockpicking so that it now uses three lockpicks if the lock is above your level, one lockpick if the lock is equal to your level, and no lockpicks if the lock is below your level.

Audio

- Polished many sound effects around the game.
- Fixed weapon ineffective voice over that was playing at incorrect times.
- Fixed a problem where pausing the game could cause VO and/or barkstrings to finish early.

Gameplay

- Fixed a problem where friendly auras could grow in size after a save and load.
- Fixed an issue where chant effects were considered item effects for stacking purposes. This was causing incorrect bonus calculation.
- Suppressed "Target Destroyed" autopausing if target was the last target in the combat. This will prevent automatic pauses at the end of combat.
- Figurines now have summon durations.
- Chanter invocations now have durations.
- Speed item mod now works correctly.
- Improved resting bonuses from the Stronghold.
- Noble's Rest Intelligence bonus lowered to +2.
- Scroll of Missile Barrage to be combat only.
- Fixed a problem where stealing part of a stack wasn't registered as stealing.
- Stealing now only loses reputation once per container.
- We now have immunities in the game. Some creatures have been updated to make use of them. I'm looking at you blights and dragons...
- Changed amount of Health that are healed with Wound Binding and Field Triage.
- Looting equipment off of enemies unequips it from their dead body.
- Autosave system now uses 3 rolling autosaves instead of one.
- Improved quality of font text when the game is at a higher resolution than 1920x1200.

Korean

- The Korean font was changed to something more legible.

OSX

- Fixed issue where switching resolutions in windowed mode on the Mac was not working properly.
- Attempted fix for Mac where game crashes on saves at times.

UI

- Fixed issue where spells with summons could display incorrect info at times.
- Fixed issue where sorting depth of some UI elements were being changed over time. This was causing some UI screens (like tooltips) to render under active UI screens.
- Changed formatting of item mods to remove the item mod title and only list the effect. This was to clean up the UI.
- Added range indicators for Wizard's Blast.
- Added range indicators for Paladin auras.
- Added range indicators for Barbarian's Carnage.
- Fixed a problem where the spell casting cursor didn't refesh its image at times.
- Fixed issue where inspecting ingredients when crafting could show improper descriptions and icons.
- Fixed issue where Party Formation UI could overlap with Looting UI.
- Level up screen background has been updated.
- Resting bonuses from inns now display the length of time they are active.
- Moved Skills before Active Effects in character sheet.
- Stopped scroll position from reseting when changing characters in the character sheet.
- Made options in the language dropdown always use their native font instead of the font for the current language.
- Fixed an issue where it was possible to mess up spell selection in Character Creation by moving between stages.
- Fixed issue where secondary AoE effects were not properly displaying qualifiers. For example, Holy Radiance's Burn AoE only affects vessels, but the description made it appear as if it damaged all enemies.
- Fixed UI issue where all chants were being labeled "A" after a save and load.
- Fixed issue where chants could get moved out of order after loading a saved game.
- Examinable descriptions will no longer disappear while the game is paused
- Fixed checkbox and numeric widgets on message boxes sometimes showing for a frame
- Fixed problems where sometimes UI wouldn't differentiate between auras and hardards in descriptions.
- Fixed a problem where some long titles were being cut off in the UI.
- Fixed stuttering issues with scrolling text.
- Fixed an issue where status effects applied by enemy equipment wasn't being shown in the UI

Problem.

I gotta talk to Icantha to progress Undying Heritage, but I fought her before starting the quest and now she's permanently hostile.

Is there any other way to progress the quest, or am I screwed?

Menome

Man, I've never been so glad to have been too busy to sink my teeth into a big RPG over the summer. Just the A.I. addition with Patch 2.0 is going to make my playthrough significantly less frustrating.

Farks!

Problem.

I gotta talk to Icantha to progress Undying Heritage, but I fought her before starting the quest and now she's permanently hostile.

Is there any other way to progress the quest, or am I screwed?

I'm in the same boat. It should be fixed in the next patch, iirc.

Finalow

I really like the bg art and the general look of the game but goddamn, the fog ruins everything. when I've explored everything, when I'm in a city or in my fucking stronghold, it's still there; what's the point, seriously. not pitch black like the usual fog obviously but it's still stupidly annoying.
no idea why they didn't add an option to disable it with all these patches, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to complain. seems like that the only way is to use console commands? Or I'm missing some hidden options here.

LordAmused

I don't have a savegame at the point of no-return
Caed Nua
. Am I really going to have to restart all over in order to play the expansions?

Dsyndrome

The 2.0 beta has been released on Steam. If you want to test it out, type BETAPASSWORD as the access code under the Beta tab in the game's properties menu on Steam. Here's the changelist so far...

Yay character retraining! Don't know if I need to use it yet, but I'm glad it's there to keep from gimping your characters.

Finalow

since I got so many other games to play/finish I might as well wait for the expansion. I don't know how much I have left, should be around 50%? I'm almost done with Befiance Bay main and side quests.

kai3345

Banned
Tried to jump back into my save tonight and completely forgot EVERYTHING that had happened in the story. This almost never happens to me, I usually at least have a semblance of the basics down but I was completely lost on the plot. Going back and forth on if I should restart or not.

Altazor

Posted yesterday from Sawyer's Twitter account.

Instagram alert

Looks good. Can't wait.

UNF UNF UNF :D

that reminds me of Icewind Dale, to be honest...
which isn't a bad thing

29YZN.jpg

Altazor

A stupid question: the end of act 2/the start of act 3 is a point of no return, right? If I didn't do some quests earlier, I cannot do them later?

'cause I may have forgotten to do some them. Oops :p

Irobot82

I'm on windows 10 right now and MSAA is currently turned on by default. I have to console command it to 0 otherwise everything is super blurry. But if I hit Esc, it switches back to MSAA. Is there an .ini file anywhere I can turn it off permanently? thanks!

A stupid question: the end of act 2/the start of act 3 is a point of no return, right? If I didn't do some quests earlier, I cannot do them later?

'cause I may have forgotten to do some them. Oops :p

Are you asking in terms of being able to go back to
Defiance Bay
, you'll be able to go back.

Altazor

Are you asking in terms of being able to go back to
Defiance Bay
, you'll be able to go back.

Yeah, it was about that! I forgot to visit the Lighthouse and never started Pallegina's quest in the Embassy. I may have forgotten something else, too.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I can't provide you with a reply of my own regarding your problem though :(

EDIT: Maybe try this tool? "This little tool will help you turn off MSAA in "Pillars of Eternity" easily whenever you start the game, enter a new area or loaded a savegame."

injurai

Banned
So do I reclaim this on my backer page? Then activate the code on steam? Or does my back steam copy automatically get updated with the expansion? (I backed the expansion btw)

Irobot82

Anyone have advice on how to combat the fungi enemy types. I'm down in Od Nua and they just keep wrecking me with their charms. Does durance have a good charm resist spell?

Arulan

Anyone have advice on how to combat the fungi enemy types. I'm down in Od Nua and they just keep wrecking me with their charms. Does durance have a good charm resist spell?

Prayer Against Treachery I believe is a 6th level Priest spell and it protects against charm. Otherwise, Suppress Affliction (2nd level?) is another good one to use. Failing that, use paralyze and other forms of crowd-control before they get a chance to cast it. You might also be able to dominate your own charmed party members, but I'm not sure.

Kudo

Is this game worth the full price on Steam? Yearning to play something on my new computer and as a fan of Baldurs Gate this has been on my radars for long.
Also how is the combat system, one of my friend said it's nowhere near as good as Advanced DnD, is it still deep enough to enjoy combat too?
Thanks.

Anoregon

Is this game worth the full price on Steam? Yearning to play something on my new computer and as a fan of Baldurs Gate this has been on my radars for long.
Also how is the combat system, one of my friend said it's nowhere near as good as Advanced DnD, is it still deep enough to enjoy combat too?
Thanks.

Well, I would take the opinion of anyone who thinks that AD&D has an ostensibly "good" combat system with a grain of salt...

That being said, it's worth full price. My first playthrough of the game was 60 hours or so and I really enjoyed it.

aravuus

Thanks.

Coming from someone who doesn't really like RTwP combat systems, definitely worth the full price. Loved it, and I can't wait to replay it when the rest of the DLC is out with party AI.

Altazor

Thanks.

absolutely go for it.

Anoregon

I totally have to plan out my 2.0 party for a new game too...

Obviously use both new dudes, and my char will probably be a chanter so I can drop GM. Durance is fairly necessary, so that leaves 2 open slots. Is Eder still necessary with the new monk? I can't remember if monks are decent tanks or not. I really like chanters and I didn't use Kana my previous run as my main was a chanter, so I'd want to bring him along too.

Anoregon

Btw, I didn't see this posted anywhere:

$14.95 for Part I, $24.95 for both together (USD).

I had remembered the expansion costing $30 but wasn't sure if that meant both (as I was hoping) or just part 1, so the fact that it's $25 for both isn't bad.

Altazor

Yeah, it's a great price.

Of course, that didn't stop some people complaining about "how it's too steep for an expansion that doesn't offer as much content as Mask of the Betrayer" :eyeroll:

Top Bottom