• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Altazor

oh. Well, in that, I think it's a good opportunity - especially if you weren't particularly satisfied with your previous playthrough!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Picked up the pass for £15 on GMG. Installing now, but my internet doesn't move fast enough...

Oh good call, they pretty much always have a 20% code going which will knock this down to $20

Thanks!

Started it up - anyone get this?

XJcfCNK.jpg

Nohar

Hum. I guess I'll wait for you feedback before buying (or not) this expansion. The vanilla game wasn't bad, but it left me... unconvinced.

Did they fix the sneaking?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hum. I guess I'll wait for you feedback before buying (or not) this expansion. The vanilla game wasn't bad, but it left me... unconvinced.

Did they fix the sneaking?

Yup! You can have individual characters sneak now.

Unai

Finally! Still about that: once a fight begins, will the stealthy character automatically be revealed like before, or will he remain hidden until he takes actions against enemies?

They will remain hidden. There's a video at Obsidian's youtube channel showing it.

Nohar

They will remain hidden. There's a video at Obsidian's youtube channel showing it.

Thank you for your answer. Well, Stealth and Rogues are becoming much more interesting now (well, Rogues were already quite powerful, but some skills may actually become valuable to pick).

A friend of mine kickstarted this game way back in the day, completely forgot about it, and now doesn't have a computer. He gifted me his physical box + his spare game key but I don't know what to do with it. As it is a key it can't be redeemed as a gift for trading, only to an account library.

So, anyone know a needy cRPG fan who'd like this game?

edit: sent.

LordAmused

A friend of mine kickstarted this game way back in the day, completely forgot about it, and now doesn't have a computer. He gifted me his physical box + his spare game key but I don't know what to do with it. As it is a key it can't be redeemed as a gift for trading, only to an account library.

So, anyone know a needy cRPG fan who'd like this game?

One of my friend would sure like to get it!

EDIT: Thanks to MisterShine. My friend now has PoE. Thanks again!

Anno

Any impressions? Probably won't get a chance to try anything until later tonight.

Speaking of, I just remembered I have another key that I don't need. If anyone particularly wants to get a free copy of the game PM me with your concept for a character. Coolest one wins. Doesn't need to be long or anything, just some basic precepts. I'll check back in a few hours after golf league is over to see if anyone's interested.

Tenebrous

What classes are the new companions? Might wanna spoiler tag, just in case.

Loving my second playthrough so far, though. Eder is terrible compared to my PC tank.

Altazor

I don't know if a new thread (like "PSA: Pillars of Eternity is 33% off on Steam right now, go get it") should be created for that. I'd like to, but I don't know if the mods would frown - 'cause talking about that discount in this thread feels a bit like preaching to the choir :p

Purkake4

Banned
Would like to hear some impressions, especially from people who have finished it.

For whatever reason I have zero interest in the expansion at the moment.

LordAmused

Impressions from elsewhere are suggesting that the new enemy AI has made the game less tank&spank. Can anyone confirm this good news?

I am not 100% sure, but so far, I would say there is indeed a little less tank&spank.

This morning, I asked Obsidian Twitter if The White March Part II would take place after endgame. Not sure if I understand the answer, but then again, my basic english is a little rusty so my question, maybe, wasn't clean enough.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian 11m11 minutes ago
@LordAmusedKAN You won't have to start a new game. Think of it as something else drags you back to the White March areas.

Twitter

Altazor

Impressions from elsewhere are suggesting that the new enemy AI has made the game less tank&spank. Can anyone confirm this good news?

From the Gamepresure review:

On the one hand, the AI of the enemies have been significantly improved, which usually means trouble for the party's monk or wizard. The enemies more often target the support characters and they cannot be easily diverted by a melee fight. Thus the more significant role of all the skills that slow the enemies down, immbolize them, or summon the creatures that can hopefully engage the opponents in a close combat. On the other hand, stealth finally works as it should. From now on, every character hides "on their own" - spotting of a clumsy paladin does not mean that an agile rogue will also leave its cover of darkness. This solution works as a great convenience for the player - you can gradually "start up" packs of enemies (works best with the rogue's animal companion), and then separate them into smaller groups that are easier to defeat.

This morning, I asked Obsidian Twitter if The White March Part II would take place after endgame. Not sure if I understand the answer, but then again, my basic english is a little rusty so my question, maybe, wasn't clean enough.

Twitter

what I get from it is that it won't be a "sequel" to the main game, but another big sidequest taking part in the White March again.

Tenebrous

It's kind of ridiculous, but it makes a lot of sense.

I'm about 7 hours into my POTD run at the moment, using my PC Warrior, Eder, Durance, Kana, Aloth, and a custom Priest.

Not sure when it was added, as I beat the game right after launch, but... Iconic Projection? Holy shit that does a lot! I just have the two tanks up front, Aloth behind them using Fan of Flames (the damage to my Watcher & Eder is healed through Iconic Projection) while backed into a corner so no-one can attack anyone except me & Eder. Wipes out pretty much everything.

Anoregon

Started my new game. Badass death godlike (dwarf) cipher time!

So since White March is new content in the playthrough and not postgame, would I get overlevelled by doing the White March and going back to finish the normal campaign?

JimPanzer

I saw this game is on sale on steam now, bum I'm not too sure if this is something for me. I don't like to read too much in games, I'm fine with dialogue, but reading tons of pages of lore which I'm not interested in is annoying to me.
I loved Baldurs Gate 2 and the Icewind Dale games back in the days.

What do you guys say, should I give this a try?

dude

dude
I saw this game is on sale on steam now, bum I'm not too sure if this is something for me. I don't like to read too much in games, I'm fine with dialogue, but reading tons of pages of lore which I'm not interested in is annoying to me.

If that's the case I think you definitely should give it a try. You never have to read any lore (though some of it is fantastic, it is very optional.) As for dialogue, I think it terms of ratio to non dialogue time it's at about BG2 levels.

Wow this game doesn't slow down anymore on my 2010 computer. Is it windows 10, or did the new patch improve the performace? Last time i played was in May.

Also, i reached act 2 but had to start a new game because im having a hard time on normal because of the messed up build of my rogue watcher. Any tips for optimal party composition for normal difficulty?

Thanks.

Tenebrous

Wow this game doesn't slow down anymore on my 2010 computer. Is it windows 10, or did the new patch improve the performace? Last time i played was in May.

Also, i reached act 2 but had to start a new game because im having a hard time on normal because of the messed up build of my rogue watcher. Any tips for optimal party composition for normal difficulty?

Thanks.

Can't you reroll character abilities now? Whatever the case, you shouldn't be struggling on normal. Do you have a full party of 6?

Altazor

Absolutely. You can not read the lore and focus only on critical quest paths, but you have the choice.

You won't regret it, I'm sure :)

Thanks.

I think every patch improves performance, either a lot (like the first couple of patches after release) or just a bit. My 2010 PC roars like a fucking jet when playing PoE - but it's playable, that's what matters :D

And regarding your build, it's strange - one of the main things about the game design was avoiding the pitfall of "bad builds" and making every build viable, something that a lot of veteran RPG players disliked. Maybe you can try lowering the difficulty for a bit? In which area are you having a hard time?
In any case, my party is Watcher-Edér-Durance-Aloth-Kana-[Grieving Mother/Hiravias/Sagani]

LordAmused

In any case, my party is Watcher-Edér-Durance-Aloth-Kana-[Grieving Mother/Hiravias/Sagani]

Mine is pretty much the same, except for Kana who is replaced by Pallegina. I won't keep her long, as my main is a paladin, no point in having both, I think...I am not sure if the Zealous Aura x2 is worth it so far.

Altazor

Mine is pretty much the same, except for Kana who is replaced by Pallegina. I won't keep her long, as my main is a paladin, no point in having both, I think...I am not sure if the Zealous Aura x2 is worth it so far.

Team BoringPaladinWatcher represent! *high five*

Durance and Kana are mah shooter bros. Both of them are pretty much undroppable for me, even if they are slow attackers, they pack a lot of punch :D

Top Bottom