• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I didn't use Kana in my first run because my watcher was a Chanter, but he's definitely coming along for my new game. I would like to drop Eder for Zahua, but fighter tank still feels kind of necessary so I don't know if I will be able to.

Maybe I'll make kana a tank instead. heavy armor and shield, pick up +engagement and recovery-lite talents.

Absolutely. You can not read the lore and focus only on critical quest paths, but you have the choice.

You won't regret it, I'm sure :)

I think every patch improves performance, either a lot (like the first couple of patches after release) or just a bit. My 2010 PC roars like a fucking jet when playing PoE - but it's playable, that's what matters :D

And regarding your build, it's strange - one of the main things about the game design was avoiding the pitfall of "bad builds" and making every build viable, something that a lot of veteran RPG disliked. Maybe you can try lowering the difficulty for a bit? In which area are you having a hard time?
In any case, my party is Watcher-Edér-Durance-Aloth-Kana-[Grieving Mother/Hiravias/Sagani]
I had watcher, eder, aloth, durance, sagani, hired barb. I had a hard time with the temple of Eothas, Maerwald encounter, Raedric's hold, and the drug dealer/shapeshifter guy sidequest in act 2. Managed to beat them all but required a lot of planning.

I just restarted with a ranger watcher this time. Still on normal difficulty. So far having a better time than my first playthrough.

About the performance, framerate used to drop into 30s when there's fire like the campfire scene at the beginning, or when there's a lot of 3d models like the tree with bodies on Gilded Vale. Now everything is smooth on those scenes.

Tenebrous

My runs are pretty boring in terms of party comps...

First run (launch, 1.0, normal). Watcher-Mage, Hired-Paladin (second tank), Eder (tank), Durance, Sagani, Aloth.

Dual mage was fun as hell.

Second run (White March, 2.0, PotD/Expert). Watcher-WarriorTank, Eder, Durance, Hiravais, Kana, Sagani.

I wish I could get rid of Durance & Eder, but they're borderline essential. You need that second tank for POTD, especially with 2.0's improvements to enemy AI, and you definitely need a healer, so Durance is around too. I might drop Sagani for the Grieving Mother, as I've never really tried her before, but even that's not easy as Sagani hits like a truck in lategame.

Altazor

I wish I could get rid of Durance & Eder, but they're borderline essential. You need that second tank for POTD, especially with 2.0's improvements to enemy AI, and you definitely need a healer, so Durance is around too. I might drop Sagani for the Grieving Mother, as I've never really tried her before, but even that's not easy as Sagani hits like a truck in lategame.

really? Funny thing, she was probably the weakest member of my party. Any weapon (and/or its type) you using with her?

Tenebrous

really? Funny thing, she was probably the weakest member of my party. Any weapon (and/or its type) you using with her?

Only based off my experience with 1.0 (still on act I of my 2.0/PotD run), but she had a fully enchanted Arbelast with any skill that increases her base damage. She'd hit 70+ on single targets while others would struggle to do that with their abilities.

Altazor

Only based off my experience with 1.0 (still on act I of my 2.0/PotD run), but she had a fully enchanted Arbelast with any skill that increases her base damage. She'd hit 70+ on single targets while others would struggle to do that with their abilities.

whoa, that's nice. I'll take that into account :D

I saw this game is on sale on steam now, bum I'm not too sure if this is something for me. I don't like to read too much in games, I'm fine with dialogue, but reading tons of pages of lore which I'm not interested in is annoying to me.
I loved Baldurs Gate 2 and the Icewind Dale games back in the days.

What do you guys say, should I give this a try?

Yes, you should definitely get it. Doesn't quite measure up to some of the older games, but it's still very good.

Menome

Darn it. Party A.I. was supposed to help me steam-roll combat, but then they go and upgrade the enemy A.I. and I'm back at having to actually be strategic in combat again.

I just want to click things so they die and then get on with the important stuff like talking to people and reading books.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just want to click things so they die and then get on with the important stuff like talking to people and reading books.

I said this exact thing to my therapist once and he looked very concerned.

Irobot82

Darn it. Party A.I. was supposed to help me steam-roll combat, but then they go and upgrade the enemy A.I. and I'm back at having to actually be strategic in combat again.

sarcasm? If not? Maybe Diablo is more up your alley.

Altazor

Sarcasm? If not? Why the hell would someone interested in reading & character interaction want to play Diablo nowadays, haha.

what? you mean you don't like the whole "I totally would've conquered Sanctuary if it weren't for you meddling Nephaleeeeeem!" vibe of the whole game? :D :D

JimPanzer

Sooo after the recommendations here I just bought it. While it's downloading I have one question: how's the difficulty? Is it Baldurs Gate-hard or ToEE-hard (that shit was insane)?

Purkake4

Banned
No, I want the opposite to Diablo; bugger-all meaningful combat, lots of roleplaying and lore.
Turn down the difficulty? Pillars is trying to do the Baldur's Gate thing where they kind of balance out the combat and the roleplaying. With Planescape being one extreme and Icewind Dale on the other.

Menome

Turn down the difficulty? Pillars is trying to do the Baldur's Gate thing where they kind of balance out the combat and the roleplaying. With Planescape being one extreme and Icewind Dale on the other.

I have it on easy, with as many tooltips and help as possible. What I could really do with is the Ctrl+H healing cheat from the Baldur's Gate series. :p

Menome

I guess maybe Torment will be up your alley. Combat's the best part of Pillars.

Aye, looking forward to that. I know the problem is me as I'm just awful at anything involving tactical combat. I was just hoping to be able to cheese the combat like I did with the other Infinity Engine games.

Altazor

Sooo after the recommendations here I just bought it. While it's downloading I have one question: how's the difficulty? Is it Baldurs Gate-hard or ToEE-hard (that shit was insane)?

I think if you're an Infinity Engine veteran, you'll find this quite easy.

In any case, you can increase the difficulty any time you like :)

Irobot82

Aye, looking forward to that. I know the problem is me as I'm just awful at anything involving tactical combat. I was just hoping to be able to cheese the combat like I did with the other Infinity Engine games.

I bet there is a trainer for the game you can use. I know Wasteland 2 had a stats editor. So if you "invincible" or just uber powerful, it would be easier right.

Menome

...did I miss something regarding how auto-levelling companions works? I could have sworn it just happened when they hit a Level Up when I played months ago. I checked, and I've got the Auto Level Companions box ticked.

Am I missing a button somewhere I have to press now?

It's really good.

Starting a new game so I can get all the benefits.

Also because I don't like fighting the Adra Dragon with a level 11 Priest.

JimPanzer

Played for an hour, really liking it so far. But what's up with cloaks? Are they supposed to not attach to you character at all? That thing is just floating in the air.

Tenebrous

Played for an hour, really liking it so far. But what's up with cloaks? Are they supposed to not attach to you character at all? That thing is just floating in the air.

Can't say it's something I've noticed personally, but I rarely zoom the camera. I'll have a check when I jump on next.

Is there more gold in the game now? I'm still on Act I with quite a bit left to do, and I'm already carrying 40k gold around with me... Can pimp up Caed Nua in a heartbeat.

JimPanzer

Can't say it's something I've noticed personally, but I rarely zoom the camera. I'll have a check when I jump on next.

Is there more gold in the game now? I'm still on Act I with quite a bit left to do, and I'm already carrying 40k gold around with me... Can pimp up Caed Nua in a heartbeat.

well, I guess it didn't happen to you, otherwise you would have definitely noticed it. The whole cape is stiff and flowing above my character.

I love roleplaying as a psychopath. Kill. KILL. KILL EVERYONE! MWAHAHAHA.

Ahem.

Bleak Walker Paladin?

Side note: I haven't played the game since like a couple weeks since it came out, have patches/xpac since then made Caed Nua more useful? I sank a lot of dough into that place and got very little out of it.

Tenebrous

Bleak Walker Paladin?

Side note: I haven't played the game since like a couple weeks since it came out, have patches/xpac since then made Caed Nua more useful? I sank a lot of dough into that place and got very little out of it.

Ocean Folk Fighter.

I'm in the same boat. I know that Caed Nua is tied to the expansion, but that's about all I know. I tell you what they haven't fixed though, and that's mid game scaling/difficulty. Even on PotD I can just auto attack my way through most fights in act II.

I just bought the game a few days ago and I have a question for an early quest.
Raedric

I killed Raedric, and happened to loot him before a cutscene happened. I had a chance to see he dropped Justice, a unique weapon, but now it is gone from my inventory . Checked the stash also. Is this a known bug if you loot him before the cutscene plays? It's not worth going back to an old save for it, but I am curious what the hell happened to it. :D

Jag

What's the consensus for the expansion as far as party? Continue with the finished game party or reroll?

GECK

Well if you finished it on Iron man you have to reroll.

But I'd wait for a patch or three to start playing. The vanishing items bug from the fucking backer beta is back lol

bati

Is a list of soulbound weapons available anywhere? I plan to roll another barb now that expansion is out (might/dex/int focus, since int is useful for convos and combat) but I'd like to know beforehand which weapons can bind to a barbarian class so I can decide between a dual wield or twohanded style.

Purkake4

Banned
Well if you finished it on Iron man you have to reroll.

But I'd wait for a patch or three to start playing. The vanishing items bug from the fucking backer beta is back lol
Obsidian gonna Obsidian.

Is there any word on whether these are the only expansions planned or if there's more stuff in the pipeline?

Labadal

I think part 2 is the final PoE expansion.

If you're playing on Iron Man mode, you could maybe use it to cheat your way out of the final area.

Tenebrous

I just want to see another CRPG kickstarter from them. Hopefully they can do a BG1>BG2 level of jump, because Pillars is already better than BG1.

Top Bottom