• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

heringer

EatChildren said:
So is this going to be another ExciteTruck/Bots situation?

As in, reviewers pan the shit out of it for being 'shallow' and 'boring' and 'uninteresting'?

Then I pick it up, get addicted as all mighty fuck to the tight pussy skill based scoring system, and end up spending hours upon hours mastering the motherfucker for its addictive arcade nature?

Because if this offers an even remotely similar level of addictive score focused gameplay to Truck and Bots, I wont hesitate to get this the moment it hits shelves in Australia.
Excitebots actually got pretty good reviews. It averages at 80 in Metacritics. Not too shabby.

see5harp

Neuromancer said:
No it does not, at least not internet based. Maybe it does for local play.

Sorta makes me wonder what role the friendslist has. So you can just see what your friends are playing? Surely they'll have an standardized invite system in the future?

Kinspiracy said:
I spread lies? Pilot Wings is one of the worst purchases I've ever made. *You* may enjoy doing the same insanely boring levels over and over and consider that to be a lengthy gaming experience, but I just found it to be more incredibly dreadful game design. But yeah, your opinion is more valid than someone else's. I don't begrudge anyone liking a game I hate. Hell, I'm sure I love a lot of games other people despise.

You were spreading the lie that this game had a lenght of 2.5 hours (funnily what the reviews that didnt finish the game were telling), and for lenght I mean seeing the credits in the game (and that doesnt mean getting perfects, which means more playing hours), and that was totally FALSE, every member in this thread that is playing pilotwings at the moment can corroborate what you said was not true.

As I said earlier in another post, you are totally free about not liking the game and giving your opinion, but what you are not free to do is tell lies about facts.

see5harp said:
Sorta makes me wonder what role the friendslist has. So you can just see what your friends are playing? Surely they'll have an standardized invite system in the future?
Good question. Knowing Nintendo, they'll always find a way to do it back asswards and years behind industry standards. Frankly we're lucky to even have a friends list and one standardized friend code.

maxmars

jgkspsx said:
Up to four minutes in free flight mode! But free flight should be free! Oh well.

Getting perfects on missions gets pretty difficult early on.

Very satisfied with this on every level except Wuhu reuse and unfree-flight.

I don't know if I'm breaking some kind of inside joke, but can't you actually disregard mission objectives and free fly everywhere on the map? I did that once and I was stopped at 6:00, but it's still more than 4:00 and you can do that without unlocking anything.

Even on the hang glider, quite a few missions have enough thermals to keep you flying as much as you like.

Still, no real free flight.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Still 2 missions to do in Argent mode and I played 2 hours of it already. I'm obviously trying to get all the 3 stars, that's the way Pilotwings is meant to be played. So, either I'm really bad, or the game is MUCH longer than what we read few days ago.

SpokkX

Getting all the stars on gold and platinum IS really hard imo.. I have played 5 hours and have 10 or so left...

farnham

Banned
i have played 4 hours of pilot wings and i have not completed gold yet and havent even started freeflight mode

whomever said that this was a 2 hour game is a liar and should be ashamed of himself

im glad i made that purchase because i nearly went against it

Chorazin

I am in love with this game, trying to get perfects is so much fun and frustration but you always seem to know exacly what you did wrong, and can fix it with practice. I got through Training with all red stars and that took me at least 2 hours so far, so I think I'm gonna get my money's worth out of this!

herod

farnham said:
i have played 4 hours of pilot wings and i have not completed gold yet and havent even started freeflight mode

whomever said that this was a 2 hour game is a liar and should be ashamed of himself

im glad i made that purchase because i nearly went against it

You can see every mission in 2-3 hours

Perfecting it takes a lot longer.

nofi

farnham said:

This. Some reviews clearly just plumped for one or two stars and left it at that.

marc^o^

nofi said:
This. Some reviews clearly just plumped for one or two stars and left it at that.
I didn't buy it at launch because of this news, I'm glad I read your impressions on this thread.

Chairhome

Finally got my 3DS yesterday, and loving it so far. At first I was kinda iffy on it, but after passing Training, I love it. I'll definitely try to get all stars on this. Question: I've gotten the red 3 stars on a lot, but it says "Next time you'll be able to go for more than Perfect"... how do I do that? Do I have to go through all the other classes first? Sorry if its been answered already...

Izayoi

Banned
nofi said:
No doubt. No way you're getting through this in two or three hours, let alone perfecting it (or going even further and perfectplusing it). Good riddance.

dock

I do wonder whether it's a slight failing in the game design, however, to allow the player to succeed with such a poor performance of the required task.

Also, I don't think it's entirely fair to criticise all reviewers for picking up on this aspect of the game, especially as for many people the only reason to play games is to get to the end.

Sometimes the intended objectives can be failed almost completely so long as your time is good, if you're only pushing to unlock everything. I do feel that players would enjoy the game more if they had to do better at stages, but I can see why this might be annoying for players that get stuck on certain stages.

It helps that I came into this game knowing about the 'limited' amount of content, however, so I've been avoiding playing and unlocking missions until I've done at least 2 stars on everything beforehand.

People are always critical of Mii based games too. Wii Sports Resort is amazing, but gets dismissed curtly and quickly by many people. I would have to have seen some of the content seen in Wii Sports Resort (such as multiplayer/dogfighting) and even the Chicken Suit from Wii Fit Plus. There's plenty to criticise for this game with regards to falling well short of its potential, but such is the difficulty of launch titles.

Oh, and ghosts and leaderboards for competitive play would obviously be amazing. I hope Pilotwings is a success, I'd love to see this game expanded upon.

farnham

Banned
I believe that the formula would have worked better if they just made free flight into an openworld style game with no time limits and the ability to stop at certain locations to start missions aside of the normal menu. it wouldnt be hard to do and it would add a lot

wuhu island is such an amazingly designed map

maxmars

farnham said:
I believe that the formula would have worked better if they just made free flight into an openworld style game with no time limits and the ability to stop at certain locations to start missions aside of the normal menu. it wouldnt be hard to do and it would add a lot

I'd totally buy such a game. Add a multiplayer a la endless ocean but with more people and it would very well be the only game I'd ever load on my 3ds.

Double D

Would this be a good game for my 7 year old who isn't that great at games? I guess it's not that he isn't all that great, but he gets frustrated super quick. I actually got his 3DS in the mail yesterday. I'm giving it to him for his b-day on the 21st, so I just want to make sure to get him something he'll enjoy playing. He loves the Lego games, so I'm getting Star Wars for sure.

dock

farnham said:
This would have been great, I agree. I like the idea that you'd naturally unlock difficult challenges by locating the difficult to reach areas. Right now there's far less opportunity for exploration than there could have been.

Milpool

Chairhome said:
Finally got my 3DS yesterday, and loving it so far. At first I was kinda iffy on it, but after passing Training, I love it. I'll definitely try to get all stars on this. Question: I've gotten the red 3 stars on a lot, but it says "Next time you'll be able to go for more than Perfect"... how do I do that? Do I have to go through all the other classes first? Sorry if its been answered already...

If you replay a mission where you got a perfect score you can get an even higher score thanks to additional bonuses.

Rich!

Vik_Vaughn said:
Would this be a good game for my 7 year old who isn't that great at games? I guess it's not that he isn't all that great, but he gets frustrated super quick. I actually got his 3DS in the mail yesterday. I'm giving it to him for his b-day on the 21st, so I just want to make sure to get him something he'll enjoy playing. He loves the Lego games, so I'm getting Star Wars for sure.

It's a great game - it's easy to play, but very tricky to master.

Then again, I had godlike gaming skills when I was younger which I do not posess now, so maybe he'd fly through it.

I finally did the
flying squirrel suit
part. That was pretty neat. Fuck the Rocket Belt, I hate that shit! This game is pretty hard lol.

Princess Skittles said:
Yeah, this game is definitely not what reviewers want you to beleive it is.
Yes it is. It's a barebones Pilotwings game. Just because you can add like 50 points to the max score doesn't mean it's all of a sudden a more meaty game, especially when there's no online leaderboards in sight to compete with. Sure, you can "compete" with yourself, but I've personally been having a hard time finding motivation to get better scores after I've already perfected the missions.

The game IS light on content. The fact that it takes a while to get a perfect score on every mission doesn't change the fact that it doesn't have all that many missions.

Frankly, I hope to see a sequel with a ton more missions, more squirrel suit missions, atleast one more location, a bunch more suits, spring, bungie, parachute and so many others, and most importantly, online competitive play as well.

It would be sweet to play a mode where you are racing other players online, or where you're engaged in dog fights with them.
Just because online gaming didn't exist back in 1996 doesn't mean it shouldn't be implemented now.

Vik_Vaughn said:

Ridge Racer might be the better choice. It's a very easy game for the first several hours so he won't get frustrated. And it has sooo much content.

Rich!

Revolutionary said:
Yes it is. It's a barebones Pilotwings game. Just because you can add like 50 points to the max score doesn't mean it's all of a sudden a more meaty game, especially when there's no online leaderboards in sight to compete with. Sure, you can "compete" with yourself, but I've personally been having a hard time finding motivation to get better scores after I've already perfected the missions.

It might be time to go and play on Pilotwings SNES again.

marc^o^

Revolutionary said:
Did you finish it in Diamond or just didn't like it enough to play it to the end?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Revolutionary said:
I find a game with well designed replayability FAR meatier than a game with just a ton of content. I can't compare this to past Pilotwings games, but a recent example is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2. It has something like 36 levels compared to 12 in the first game, but the 12 in the first game are so vastly superiorly designed (on top of having greatly varied difficulty levels), I consider it a much meatier game while the second simply has fluff to elicit a bullet point on its box and elation from reviewers who don't play games like a hardcore gamer.

jarosh

dock said:
It helps that I came into this game knowing about the 'limited' amount of content, however, so I've been avoiding playing and unlocking missions until I've done at least 2 stars on everything beforehand.
dude... maybe you didn't realize it, but you CAN'T progress at all unless you get 2 stars on average in each tier. you'll be stuck with the current 6 or 9 missions otherwise. higher tiers do NOT simply unlock by playing and failing or getting just 1 star.

richisawesome said:
It might be time to go and play on Pilotwings SNES again.
My first PilotWings was 64, sorry for having such grand expectations.

And I haven't finished the game yet @ other person. Taking my time with it because of how little content there seems to be, and because I got 3 other launch games. I'll get back to you on that eventually. :p

Princess Skittles said:
I find a game with well designed replayability FAR meatier than a game with just a ton of content. I can't compare this to past Pilotwings games, but a recent example is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2. It has something like 36 levels compared to 12 in the first game, but the 12 in the first game are so vastly superiorly designed (on top of having greatly varied difficulty levels), I consider it a much meatier game while the second simply has fluff to elicit a bullet point on its box and elation from reviewers who don't play games like a hardcore gamer.
Right, I understand that and agree that more doesn't necessarily mean better, but coming from PilotWings 64, I just can't help but feel disappointed in the lack of content and locations (four islands, if I remember correctly?). They were able to do it before - have several islands with just as much content as the last one.
I feel as though they were limited by the fact that they wanted to merge this franchise with Wii Sports and were confined to the one island they had already created for Resort.

I've spent 4 or 5 hours on free flight alone. Looking for the things to collect has put my OCD into top gear, something that hasn't happened since Crackdown 1's orbs. So addictive.

Personally I wouldn't call the game light on content, but I would certainly call it light on locations.

Rich!

Revolutionary said:
My first PilotWings was 64, sorry for having such grand expectations

SNES has four tiny maps, with only three or four challenges on each, and it's one of my favourite games of all time. Obviously there's the final helicopter mission and revisiting the earlier maps with a few new challenges/weather conditions - but it's all incredibly simple, and just plain fun. It's easy to race through, but perfecting the missions takes fucking ages.

I do feel Pilotwings Resort harks back to the SNES one more than 64 - which is probably why I like it so much.

Deku

Banned
Princess Skittles said:

That's what I like about it. And this is coming from someone who was decidely underwhelmed by the Pilot Wings demo and almost passed up on it due to the very poorly researched reviews.

I wouldn't disagree that the game is light on content insofar as missing landmasses and maybe multiplayer.

but to me IMO, this game isn't about multiplayer and adding it is probably just going to end up being a mediocre distraction that would get criticized anyways for being mediocre.

So what do we have? Missions that take quite a bit of skill/practice to perfect. That's really the kind of games I enjoy.

Content in this day and age seems to be associated more with actual physical viewable content than non grindy 'content' that accurately extends a game's worth, or what people used to call replayability.

I have spent well over 8 hours so far playing this game, 5 hours in mission mode and about 3 in free flight.

I love this game!

my only complaint is that there is no skydiving besides the
flying squirrel suit
that level really made you feel like you were falling and the sense of speed was amazing.

question: does anyone have a easy way to fly upside down to hit the inverted stunt rings?

iidesuyo

Got it yesterday. Great game, but my eyes struggled with the 3D first.

It took me some time to unlock Platinum, guess my skills are becoming rusty...

SpacePirate Ridley said:
You were spreading the lie that this game had a lenght of 2.5 hours (funnily what the reviews that didnt finish the game were telling), and for lenght I mean seeing the credits in the game (and that doesnt mean getting perfects, which means more playing hours), and that was totally FALSE, every member in this thread that is playing pilotwings at the moment can corroborate what you said was not true.

As I said earlier in another post, you are totally free about not liking the game and giving your opinion, but what you are not free to do is tell lies about facts.
He could always clear it up with a picture of his stars in the level select and the logged playtime but I don't think this will ever happen.

Vik_Vaughn said:
I don't think so, it has me frustrated at times - damn you jetpack *shakes angry fist*

Top Bottom