• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

bwahhhhh

one of the reasons I was excited for Pilotwings Resort was that I just ASSUMED they were holding back Pilotwings 64 on VC to coincide with the release of PR. Where the hell is it?

Anyway, I had pre-ordered a 3DS just because of PR. The game is great, and if you liked the previous Pilotwings games, I absolutely recommend it.

However, even after 4+ hours of playing it, my eyes start to bother me after only 10 minutes. I've forced myself to play for over an hour, hoping that would help, but it hasn't. Anyway, the game is great, but some part of me wishes they had also released it on the Wii, given that they already had Wuhu Island rendered there. (but then, I wouldn't have bought a 3DS, so... touche, Nintendo)

bwahhhhh said:
one of the reasons I was excited for Pilotwings Resort was that I just ASSUMED they were holding back Pilotwings 64 on VC to coincide with the release of PR. Where the hell is it?

Anyway, I had pre-ordered a 3DS just because of PR. The game is great, and if you liked the previous Pilotwings games, I absolutely recommend it.

However, even after 4+ hours of playing it, my eyes start to bother me after only 10 minutes. I've forced myself to play for over an hour, hoping that would help, but it hasn't. Anyway, the game is great, but some part of me wishes they had also released it on the Wii, given that they already had Wuhu Island rendered there. (but then, I wouldn't have bought a 3DS, so... touche, Nintendo)

Try running the 3D just above the 2D effect. If you look around off screen too many times your eyes might hurt from adjusting too many times.

If it hurts too much, play it in 2D and watch replays in 3D if you want to see the depth of it.

bwahhhhh

TheUnknownForce said:
Try running the 3D just above the 2D effect. If you look around off screen too many times your eyes might hurt from adjusting too many times.

If it hurts too much, play it in 2D and watch replays in 3D if you want to see the depth of it.

Thanks for the advice TUF, I have tried the slider nearly all the way down, but I am one of those fools who tilts the controller when making sweeping turns in 3D games, which is part of my problem. (I need to unlearn that) I don't do it a lot, but just enough to make the screen blur. I have been doing the 2D mode at times, but 3D mode looks so much higher in resolution/detail, I switch a lot. But anyway, those are my personal problems with the 3DS itself, I just wanted to say that for those who liked PW and PW64, that PWR is a nice successor and worth getting. The OST is great, as well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i'm on the gold levels trying to 3-star everything for now. how exactly are you supposed to approach thermals? my glider times are sometimes lacking a bit. are you supposed to just go straight in and let it carry you. aim up? aim down? seems like i lose speed in there

nofi

AstroLad said:
i'm on the gold levels trying to 3-star everything for now. how exactly are you supposed to approach thermals? my glider times are sometimes lacking a bit. are you supposed to just go straight in and let it carry you. aim up? aim down? seems like i lose speed in there

I just aim straight and let them carry me up, then aim down directly as you leave them for speed.

reggieandTFE said:
I'm struggling on the mission where you have to use the cylindrical air jets to get the glider up to 1500' ft. I've only hit 1490. Any tips?
The key for me after following the thermals round clockwise, was to dive from the penultimate thermal to the lower part of the one by the volcano, and pull back when you're in it to gain height. I get 510m when I do that.

jarosh said:
the golden balloons mission is quite possibly the worst one in the game. getting 3 stars on all the other jetpack missions wasn't all that hard, but this one... ugh

any advice?
The baloon flash is there as a timing aid, it's not a fool proof method. When I see the flash, I take off straight up, then when I think I'm at the correct height I go forward at full throttle. Don't forget you can turn around on the fuel pad whilst staying still.

HTH

I've just seen the credits on this after 3-starring everything, unlocking Diamond. Just under 5hrs play time on mission mode. Big grins for the Diamond missions! :)

Quite an amazing game. So good!

Rich!

yessssss. just three-starred diamond and unlocked the secret! now to finish free flight mode. i shall see if I finish this all within 15 hours

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
gingerbeardman said:
The key for me after following the thermals round clockwise, was to dive from the penultimate thermal to the lower part of the one by the volcano, and pull back when you're in it to gain height. I get 510m when I do that.

The baloon flash is there as a timing aid, it's not a fool proof method. When I see the flash, I take off straight up, then when I think I'm at the correct height I go forward at full throttle. Don't forget you can turn around on the fuel pad whilst staying still.

HTH

I've just seen the credits on this after 3-starring everything, unlocking Diamond. Just under 5hrs play time on mission mode. Big grins for the Diamond missions! :)

Quite an amazing game. So good!
You make me feel miserable, I'm still in gold after 4 hours...

dkeane

What are the tokens I can get in the airplane stage? I'm getting everything and staying on track and I'm seeing no tokens.

dk_

Got it today and I'm so glad I can manage the max 3D setting without any problems. Looks adorable and plays fine so far!

Emitan

OH GOD THAT SQUIRREL SUIT.

That was one of the most amazing things I've ever done in a game. I can't believe reviews have been hard on this game.

Almyn

dk_ said:
Got it today and I'm so glad I can manage the max 3D setting without any problems. Looks adorable and plays fine so far!

I wish I could handle max 3D on this game.

I picked it up today myself and unlike in Ridge Racer having the 3d slider up full really hurts my eyes. Maybe i'll adjust. As the character is stuck in the middle of the screen all the time, I can't seem to focus on any part of the image properly when it's maxed out.

I like what I've played so far, The jet pack is gonna take a bit of getting used to. I was never the biggest fan of Pilot Wings 64, But I would count the original as one of my favourite games. Really looking forward to putting some more time into this.

Almyn said:
I wish I could handle max 3D on this game.

I picked it up today myself and unlike in Ridge Racer having the 3d slider up full really hurts my eyes. Maybe i'll adjust. As the character is stuck in the middle of the screen all the time, I can't seem to focus on any part of the image properly when it's maxed out.

I like what I've played so far, The jet pack is gonna take a bit of getting used to. I was never the biggest fan of Pilot Wings 64, But I would count the original as one of my favourite games. Really looking forward to putting some more time into this.

Start from the middle, then go up some days later. I couldnt put it to the max, and now I can play perfectly with it.

jgkspsx

One balloon left. All locations found. Two out of three dioramas open for each vehicle. Wait, "mission mode"? What's that?

I have to say, compared to everything else, the plane just seems slow and dull. The
superplane
especially killed it, but even the
pedal glider
feels more dynamic and fun.

The "follow the car" mission is probably the most frustrating one so far.

what's the deal with balloons and the color?

there are white and various other colors always, but the mii statue things turn white when I've already collected them. Is there no indication of a balloon I've already collected?

dock

Just spent an hour succeeding perfectly on missions, but fluffing the landing on hang-gliding and plane missions. Argh! XD I'm going for perfects on some early missions before pushing too far ahead.

I prefer the early missions in some cases too, as the long ones can feel very frustrating to repeat.

Landing practice mode, or some sort of Crazy Box style challenge mode, might have suited this game well.

A combination of being slightly crap at this game, and being patient with unlocking new content, means I might not complete this game for a long time. At least it'll last me during the initial 3DS drought! :)

Matll

Linkzg said:

there are white and various other colors always, but the mii statue things turn white when I've already collected them. Is there no indication of a balloon I've already collected?

Balloons you have collected are coloured. Balloons that you need to pop with another vehicle are grey/transparent. Balloons that you haven't yet picked up are white.

Just got my last gold ring. Damn that was hard one
(took me like over an hour to find this one)
. Now I have 3-starred the mission mode and found everything in free flight. Took me a bit over 9 hours, according to the activity log. Fun little game but definitely light on content.

The 3D actually helps a lot in this game. Trying to hit those rings without 3D is harder.

Linkzg said:

It's the opposite of the Mii statues. White ballons are new, and they become colored the next time you play.

gingerbeardman said:
There are a couple of novice missions that can be used exactly that way.
Yeah, which for some reason I only need for the hand glider. I don't what my problem is with that thing, I struggled landing with it in Pilotwings and Pilotwings 64 and I still do. Everything else I have no problem getting perfect/near perfect, but that hand glider.

dock

Yep, gotta do some practice. I thought I had nailed the plane, but my last couple of play sessions have seen imperfect landings all over the place.

jgkspsx

Last balloon found. Only one stunt ring left to find, about ten each of the other special items.

I'm glad I imported Miis from the Wii. On one jetpack mission I found statues of Warren Zevon, Joseph Stalin, Dick and Pat Nixon, and David Byrne. Good times. I wish they were used for the stunt rings as well as the trophies, though.

I cannot even score one star on the hang glider "land in three minutes" challenge. WTF is that one about? I've tried getting altitude, getting tokens, landing early, and nothing. I think my high score is like 45 points.

I can't seem to get a perfect landing on the second training plane mission. It's ridiculous. I've gotten several perfect landings under harder conditions on other missions. Oh well.

More complaints:
- the most frustrating thing about the normal plane is the lack of momentum. How can I accelerate and then slow down when the boost ends? I know the game's not about realistic physics, but the other types of vehicle are all about momentum, so the plane's inconsistency is annoying.
- Wouldn't it have been better to have the special items turn gold/pink/red when you hit them, the way balloons get colorful? Now I have a whole bunch of ugly grey things sitting around forever.

Milpool

jgkspsx said:
I cannot even score one star on the hang glider "land in three minutes" challenge. WTF is that one about? I've tried getting altitude, getting tokens, landing early, and nothing. I think my high score is like 45 points.
You need to get up to 500m for the maximum altitude bonus, and land between 3.00 and 3.06 for the maximum timing bonus. I think if you land earlier than 3.00 you get no bonus at all.

I'm really digging this game after playing on and off for the last few days.

I'll admit at first, I almost had immediate buyer's remorse. Going through training and bronze, I was getting very worried about how long this would last me. But after unlocking Free Flight mode, the game really hooked me. Damn collectibles. But yeah, I'll spend an hour just replaying free flight trying to collect everything - to the point where I'm barely playing mission mode.

I'm really glad I gave this game a chance, and it's great to see most everyone in this thread enjoying it just the same.

Got all the locations, balloons, stunt rings, Mii trophies, and gold rings. Phew that's a lot of collectibles! Now I need to get back to 3 starring all the missions.

So I bought Pilotwings Resort on Thursday thanks to proving the reviewers wrong. Was going for SWC, but Fred Meyers didn't have it, so I was like, why not.

It's strange, I was doing good for landings with the Hang Gliders, but now I'm screwing up. This game is pretty cool, and the 3D effect is great. Generally have the slider up to the max while playing.

Neuromancer said:
Let's not forget some sites gave it pretty good marks, the always perceptive Eurogamer for example. But yeah overall I think some game reviewers just didn't get it, or didn't put the time in.

It's been averaging 72% which means its considered by most to be a good game.

Personally, I would give it close to an 79/80% but no higher, because eventhough it's a very fun game, the gameplay is top notch, and it's my second favorite game on the 3DS, it definately would have benefited from more content/more meat.

The standard for games have gone up quite a bit in the past decade. Nowadays, it's not enough for a game to be fun with solid gameplay to get AAA reviews. Games need to do that AND have a good amount of content to boot.

If the game features more suits, more missions, more islands, and maybe even some well executed online multiplayer component (something like a race mode or a competition to collect the most ballons or such), does anyone here doubt that the game would be scoring 90% across the board.

Steel Diver suffers for the same reason.

I played more. Still can't stand the mission modes. They're boring and I have zero desire to get more stars. Yawn. Switched over to Free Flight and that's where this game shines. If there's ever a sequel I hope they add about 4 or 5 islands and a lot more collectibles and types of stunts. It's obvious why the review scores are so low, but it's also obvious why the game has fans. I hope Nintendo gives it a followup and adds a ton more content.

panda21

i can't believe they went to the trouble of making the awesome squirrel suit and then only used it once?! as far as i can see theres no way to use it in free flight mode so its just that one mission... so stupid, they could have made at least 5 or 6 with it easily

oh and playing this makes me really want a 3ds 1080 snowboarding. it would look great in 3d, just give us trick attack and time trial on every course like the n64 one, with times/scores to beat to get trophies and it would be awesome

Rich!

Kinspiracy said:
I played more. Still can't stand the mission modes. They're boring and I have zero desire to get more stars.

I'm guessing you don't like PW SNES or 64 then? Because the mission modes are what Pilotwings is, and always has been, based around.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm halfway to it and played it enough to say this is my favorite Nintendo game since Excite Trucks and Yoshi Touch & Go. I love arcade games and this Pilotwings is an incredible arcade game. And there is so much more content than what reviews reported that it makes me scratch my head.

So, speaking of Excite Trucks, Nintendo really needs to buy Monster Games.
I mean, every time the make a game for Nintendo it turns out great.
Too bad Nintendo isn't that interested in buying Western developers.

Rich!

artwalknoon said:
Been listening to the OST on youtube, its amazing. I hope other people appreciate the calm of the music and its delicate layering.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSHfGFSFHnA&feature=BF&list=ULAu6gQeN0wE8&index=15

Heh, that has a hint of the Pilotwings 64 glider theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifqLmcbzdfI&feature=related

And the intro to this is similar to the parachuting theme in the SNES one (piano):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e-gAal3uF0

Rich!

canadian crowe said:
I've been Pursuaded to buy this instead of Rayman. I hope my decision pays off. I haven't played a Pilotwings since the original.

It's a lot like the original.

Cranzor

I need one more information ring (or whatever)! Any obscure ones I could be missing?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it. The one I was missing was Sweet Beach.

jgkspsx

Cranzor said:
I need one more information ring (or whatever)! Any obscure ones I could be missing?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it. The one I was missing was Sweet Beach.
Ha! That was my last one, too. You wouldn't expect it to be that hard to find!

The last stunt ring is annoying me. The Mii trophies have dried up at 52.

Trike

jgkspsx said:

I had the hardest time with Mii trophies, which was surprising to me. Did you get the waterfall entrance? Or, near the waterfall entrance there is another way. You can get a location (I think a grotto or something?) and a Mii Trophy I think. I know there are white balloons. That ended up being the last location I needed.

Oh, also check the beach area. The one near the town? There are tons of Mii Trophies there. The more obvious ones were the ones that I had trouble finding.

I recently got all locations/balloons/vehicle extras. Is there anything for getting a perfect on all missions? Already got all three stars, wondering if there is something that is worth the frustration of plane landing.

jgkspsx said:

Check Wedge Island thoroughly for Mii's, there are a bunch of them out there that are easy to miss amongst the trees.

Trike said:
I recently got all locations/balloons/vehicle extras. Is there anything for getting a perfect on all missions? Already got all three stars, wondering if there is something that is worth the frustration of plane landing.
From what I understand, not much. Just the ability to use the super vehicle variants in the normal missions. I don't see the point.

This game has become by far my favorite 3ds launch game out of the 2 i have.
much more depth than what people were claiming my only complaint is the apparent lack of unlimited free flight so far.

panda21 said:
i can't believe they went to the trouble of making the awesome squirrel suit and then only used it once?! as far as i can see theres no way to use it in free flight mode so its just that one mission... so stupid, they could have made at least 5 or 6 with it easily

oh and playing this makes me really want a 3ds 1080 snowboarding. it would look great in 3d, just give us trick attack and time trial on every course like the n64 one, with times/scores to beat to get trophies and it would be awesome
Oh yeah 1080 and Wave Race would be killer on the 3DS. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Top Bottom