• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Neuromancer said:
I'd say to 3 star all challenges will probably take 10 hours. They get very tough.

The first Gold Jet pack mission is just grade-A bullshit. Dont know how the fuck Im going to 3 Star that one.

itxaka

Defeatist
Zerokku said:
The first Gold Jet pack mission is just grade-A bullshit. Dont know how the fuck Im going to 3 Star that one.

Is that the balloon one? Fuck that mission. Jetpack missions are the worst. I just can't beat them. Thank that so I can extend my gameplay a few hours more.

Plane flying is amazing.

And I want more squirrel jump. FFS nintendo, you better have some free DLC for this thing. Another island a a few more missions would be gold. That way they can show how well the DLC works on the 3DS. GET ON IT!

Zerokku said:

Is that the one of the golden balloons that are hard to pop?
Worst mission of all the game.
3 star lucky there. Perfect is going to be impossibly tough.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just dropping in to say this game is AWESOME. Trying to get three stars on every mission reminds me of that wonderful feeling I got trying to do the same on Excite Truck at Wii launch. And honestly while I would of liked more locations, I'm so in love with Wuhu Island. The little island was great on WSR but it really shines here. I just wish all the Miis were walking around like they were in WSR.

But yeah I look froward to more games featuring Wuhu Island (which Miyamoto hinted at), and I greatly looking froward to spending more time with PilotWings Resort. I'm already 3 hours in and probably no where close to perfecting (100% completing) this game. I could imagine that would take potentially 10-15 hours!

Glix

I'm into gold now, the game is getting so great. Also love the stunt rings in free flight that recently unlocked!

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I dont know why people are having problems with the pedal glider missions. I found them relatively easy.
I don't know why I suck with it. I keep getting 2 stars, and was like 5 points away from 3 one time :mad:

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I dont know why people are having problems with the pedal glider missions. I found them relatively easy.
What's your strategy with your energy? Only use the least bit possible or burn it down to nothing and let it come back?

Neuromancer said:
What's your strategy with your energy? Only use the least bit possible or burn it down to nothing and let it come back?

Pedalling is not really that usefull, I only use it when you really need speed (going downwards or going through speed panels), or you need to stay in the air and you are nearly touching the floor.
I never use it the whole time, only in parts. You need to get speed by using it the same as the normal hang glider, tilting it down, pedalling will only give you 3 or 5 kilometers per hour more than not using it, you will gain more speed pedalling if you pedal while going in a big down.

As I dont use it all the time, I usually dont have problem with energy, but if you go out of energy any time, theres not much of a probem becuase it will usually go at the same speed and you will regain it realtively fast.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Neuromancer said:

You pretty much have to use all your power whenever you can in order to get full points on time.

One thing I found that helped. Is stay high as you approach the tiny thermal near the waterfall. As you get close, dive and gain as much speed as possible. It will give you enough speed to get the 15 point chip, and speed to enter the tunnel all right.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Yeah, but seriously f*ck the later rocketpack missions. Scoring red stars on these will be nigh impossible. They should've added ghost data once you cleared 3 stars to see how it's done.

Rich!

10 hours racked up now. Got 3 star gold on every single ranking apart from Silver and Gold, where I've still got a lot left to do. And only three perfect scores overall.

This game is awesome. Could easily get 15 hours at least out of this with the free flight mode too, which is longer than the average console game I've brought over the past year has lasted me!

oh and I just almost got perfect on the jetpack balloon mission. got a -2 penalty, and that set me 2 points under perfect. noooooo.

Phife Dawg said:
Yeah, but seriously f*ck the later rocketpack missions. Scoring red stars on these will be nigh impossible. They should've added ghost data once you cleared 3 stars to see how it's done.

The jet pack is the most evil mother fucker in existance. Strangley I love the jetpack in free mode.
Also super jetpack>normal jetpack. The game says that it harder to control, but to me is much easier.

richisawesome said:
10 hours racked up now. Got 3 star gold on every single ranking apart from Silver and Gold, where I've still got a lot left to do. And only three perfect scores overall.

This game is awesome. Could easily get 15 hours at least out of this with the free flight mode too, which is longer than the average console game I've brought over the past year has lasted me!

But they told me it was only 2.5 hours of game! :mad:

Jesus

photo8e.jpg

Not mine, someone on GameFAQs

Raggytash said:
Wow, seriously impressive!!!

Did they mention if you get anything for doing it?
He said he can use either the normal or super versions of the vehicles in mission mode, that sounds like about it. Doesn't really sound worth the hassle to me but I still have to give the guy credit for that kind of dedication.

Raggytash

Neuromancer said:
He said he can use either the normal or super versions of the vehicles in mission mode, that sounds like about it. Doesn't really sound worth the hassle to me but I still have to give the guy credit for that kind of dedication.

Guess I've saved myself the pain of attempting it then, haha.

Kudos to him though, obviously far better than me at this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Neuromancer said:

So much for the rumor of Mechahawk.

Deku

Banned
This game has really grown on me. I was initally very lukewarm to it, especially after demoing it multiple times. I'm now very addicted to it, redoing missions for perfect scores.

This is the kind of game you have to play at your comfort to truly enjoy, and as a non-graphics person, I really appreciate the technical showcase that this game is.

The free light @ night/dusk is pretty visually stunning and is comparable to the wow factor from PilotWings 64 back in the day.

Neuromancer said:
Jesus

photo8e.jpg

Not mine, someone on GameFAQs

Holy mother of god, I only have all of novice, most of bronze and one in gold.

DrForester said:
So much for the rumor of Mechahawk.
Well
it does exist when you beat the game with 3 stars after the new diamond medal. As a coll diorama, and you can see him going around wedge island during free mode (has the last info ring). Its not a boss nor a playable vehicle though :(

I like how when you find all 75 i points in Free Flight you get a
Castle on the larger deserted island

Taken some nice pics of it :)

jarosh

one thing that people really need to be made aware of is the actual length of the game. can't believe the fud that's been spread about being able to complete the game in 90 minutes or so. i'm at 94 out of 117 stars (there's actually more that i haven't unlocked) right now and i've played for over 6 hours according to the activity log. just to UNLOCK all the basic missions, to progress to the next tier (which means getting 2 stars on average in each tier) will take around 3 - 4 hours, and at that point you might not even have touched the platinum missions, but merely unlocked them. i haven't even unlocked the bonus/diamond missions at 6 hours in! and i haven't touched the free flight mode at all!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Unlocked bronze and I am already loving this game. Perfect complement to frantic games such as SSF4 and PES. Can't tell at this stage if 3D adds anything to the gameplay, but it surely makes the game beautiful :)

jarosh said:
one thing that people really need to be made aware of is the actual length of the game. can't believe the fud that's been spread about being able to complete the game in 90 minutes or so. i'm at 94 out of 117 stars (there's actually more that i haven't unlocked) right now and i've played for over 6 hours according to the activity log. just to UNLOCK all the basic missions, to progress to the next tier (which means getting 2 stars on average in each tier) will take around 3 - 4 hours, and at that point you might not even have touched the platinum missions, but merely unlocked them. i haven't even unlocked the bonus/diamond missions at 6 hours in! and i haven't touched the free flight mode at all!

Well, there was one guy here that said that the game was only 2.5 and felt like shovelware. I said he was lying and he still insisted the game was short.
I dont know how some people play their games, I really dont know. If he really didnt like it and didnt want to play more of the game he didnt had to lie of the duration, they were people here waiting an opinion and he was one of the first to make one in this thread which make some people not wanting to buy the game.
You can fault the game for not having any more locations, but not about the difficulty or lenght.

jonezer4

Anyone know how to get perfect accuracy when landing the plane? I'll land it dead in the middle and still get docked 2 or 3 points for accuracy. I'm assuming it has something to do with not just left/right, but also my front to back position on the landing strip?

Unless I got infinitely worse at video games in the past ten years, I can without doubt say the N64 version was much more forgiving on landing accuracy.

mclem

jonezer4 said:
Anyone know how to get perfect accuracy when landing the plane? I'll land it dead in the middle and still get docked 2 or 3 points for accuracy. I'm assuming it has something to do with not just left/right, but also my front to back position on the landing strip?

You need to be directly under the bridge, I believe.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jonezer4 said:

Accuracy is not just the center line. You don't want to land too close to the start of the runway. You need to land so that you can stop pretty much under the bridge.

Glix

Teknoman said:
Alright, who was the composer for this soundtrack, because they need to work on more Nintendo titles. Really nice high quality stuff.

EDIT: Asuka Ito, nevermind. Woman is a genius.

Whats with the Chrono Trigger music?

PS - Landing sucks.

mrkgoo

richisawesome said:
It's an awesome game. Get it.

Is it as good as Pilot Wings 64?

So long, I've wanted a sequel to that. Sorry, I haven't been following the 3DS stuff. It comes out here tomorrow!

zeioIIDX

I'm also have a ton of fun with this game. 1-3 hours my ass, lol. So far I've only 3-star'd Everything up to Silver. Hate the Pedal Bike, lovin' the Jet. Definitely needs more Squirrel Suit or Birdman DLC+extra locations. Free Flight mode is so much fun, I love going in at different times of the day with different vehicles so I can try locating all the little things around the map. So far I'm only at 4mins of Free Flight time.

Ok, seems I was wrong, go the info ring from
Mecha Hawk
and it doesnt count for the info ring countdown.
Its fun becuase he
shouts when you bump into him as he did when you shot him in Pilotwings 64 :lol

BTW Somebody knows where is info ring 41, is the only one I have left.

Fantastical said:
It is a good game, it's just short.
The thing its, is not.
EDIT, beated like someone trying to get 3 stars in the golden balloons with the jetpack.

jarosh said:

The other BS that is being spread about this game is that it is a "casual" game.

Heard a GS employee trying to discourage someone from purchasing it. Allegedly, it's not "real" Pilot Wings game. Just a tech-demo.

lol

Count Dookkake said:
The other BS that is being spread about this game is that it is a "casual" game.

Heard a GS employee trying to discourage someone from purchasing it. Allegedly, it's not "real" Pilot Wings game. Just a tech-demo.

lol

I would never understand why you will try to discourage somebody of buying a game in your store. Thats stupidity at its highest level.
Even more when you try to spread lies. Maybe it was Kinspiracy :lol

zeioIIDX

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I would never understand why you will try to discourage somebody of buying a game in your store. Thats stupidity at its highest level.
Even more when you try to spread lies. Maybe it was Kinspiracy :lol
Maybe the person the employee was trying to discourage was a hot betch he wanted to get with?

Sounds like the reviewers out there just went out to finish the game and said "Yep, that's it. Too short."

I'd argue this is probably the case with Steel Diver, too, but unlike that game, this one probably has a bit more replay value.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Oh screw that 75th location marker (Mystery Zone). How is anyone supposed to have found that without seeking help from others other than total dumb luck....

Fly a plane at night, it's dead ahead at about 400ft.

Found ring 41! Have them all!
Give me da
castle!

DrForester said:
Oh screw that 75th location marker (Mystery Zone). How is anyone supposed to have found that without seeking help from others other than total dumb luck....

Fly a plane at night, it's dead ahead at about 400ft.

I found that one (pure luck) during the day. I remember correctly becuase I didnt had yet the other two times.

For the live of me I cant find the last hang glider golden ring. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Boney said:
the era of arcade games is dead

this rocks

I feel bad for monster games, all the games they have done for nintendo are incredibly fun and arcadey, but the reviewers always make bad reviews of them.
Thank god Nintendo is still using them, no matter what reviewers say.
If only excite bots was released in europe :(

Top Bottom