• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

I'm struggling on the mission where you have to use the cylindrical air jets to get the glider up to 1500' ft. I've only hit 1490. Any tips?

Anyone else getting the music from the game stuck in their head? For me it's the hang glider theme, with a little rasta pedal bike mixed in.

Jackano

Neuromancer said:
Anyone else getting the music from the game stuck in their head? For me it's the hang glider theme, with a little rasta pedal bike mixed in.
Yes, but I also listened to Pilotwings 64 OST before getting Resort so that's help. The OST is pretty nice, with sample from some 64 themes (and from Chrono Trigger ^^).
Currently this is the only 3DS OST I am looking forward to, with of course Kid Icarus when it will came out.

jarosh

the golden balloons mission is quite possibly the worst one in the game. getting 3 stars on all the other jetpack missions wasn't all that hard, but this one... ugh

any advice?

dock

Greg Ford on the Player One podcast referred to this game as 'not really a game', and I recall another podcaster saying it was 'more of a tech demo', so there's definitely an uncommonly dismissive perception of this product, irrespective of the amount of content in the final game.

Neuromancer said:
Yeah loving the music. I also noticed a very subtle surround effect. I never though highly of this faked surround but in more than one instance it was actually noticeable for me (using the speakers).

dock said:
Greg Ford on the Player One podcast referred to this game as 'not really a game', and I recall another podcaster saying it was 'more of a tech demo', so there's definitely an uncommonly dismissive perception of this product, irrespective of the amount of content in the final game.

not a game? what the hell am I playing then?? Argh..

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
dock said:
I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen such a strong EXTREME in the completely opposite reaction to a game from the people actually playing it to the people (supposedly) reviewing it.

I really cannot wait until game reviewers are completely irrelevant.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
reggieandTFE said:
I'm struggling on the mission where you have to use the cylindrical air jets to get the glider up to 1500' ft. I've only hit 1490. Any tips?

Essentially you're going to slowly go around the area. Follow the thermals left-ish, and as soon as you get in one, Pull back as much as possible so you can get as high as you can, from there, aim for the next highest thermal, and do the same. Also when you're out of a thermal, aim for the lowest part of the next thermal as possible while still being able to hit it, so you can gain a little bit of speed. In terms of movement, This should end in an overall half-circle you've made, the highest thermal you need to hit 1500 being near the volcano.

jarosh said:
the golden balloons mission is quite possibly the worst one in the game. getting 3 stars on all the other jetpack missions wasn't all that hard, but this one... ugh

any advice?

Which one is this specifically?

Princess Skittles said:
I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen such a strong EXTREME in the completely opposite reaction to a game from the people actually playing it to the people (supposedly) reviewing it.

I really cannot wait until game reviewers are completely irrelevant.
Let's not forget some sites gave it pretty good marks, the always perceptive Eurogamer for example. But yeah overall I think some game reviewers just didn't get it, or didn't put the time in.

jarosh

Zerokku said:
Essentially you're going to slowly go around the area. Follow the thermals left-ish, and as soon as you get in one, Pull back as much as possible so you can get as high as you can, from there, aim for the next highest thermal, and do the same. Also when you're out of a thermal, aim for the lowest part of the next thermal as possible while still being able to hit it, so you can gain a little bit of speed. In terms of movement, This should end in an overall half-circle you've made, the highest thermal you need to hit 1500 being near the volcano.

Which one is this specifically?
i think there's only one with golden balloons. the one with the jetpack where you have to pop them all by flying into them.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Neuromancer said:
Let's not forget some sites gave it pretty good marks, the always perceptive Eurogamer for example. But yeah overall I think some game reviewers just didn't get it, or didn't put the time in.

Morons said the same thing about Endless Ocean. Apparently if it's relaxing to play then it isn't a game.

jarosh

i'm not sure how this is less of a game than for example an arcade racer, in which your goal is essentially to make it to the finish line as fast as possible.

Barrett2

These gold events are freaking tough. Flying straight into the volcano? That's just dangerous, right there. I don't know how that flight club can afford insurance letting their members take those kinds of risks.

Also, I think with this game and others, it's not just length that irritates reviewers. Nintendo games are flat out lacking the accoutrements of most normal games in 2011. Hell, when most of my 99 cent iPhone games have achievements, leader boards, friend lists, etc., it just makes the game feel more full, a richer experience. While the core game of Pilotwings is damn good, IMO, because it lacks the secondary stuff that most games have now, you end up focusing solely on the experience of just playing and beating the game. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask Nintendo to implement features that, like I said, manage to be included in most 99 cent iPhone games I buy, which almost everyone seems to enjoy.

farnham

Banned
man i wish monster does pilot wings for wii

i loved the wii sports resort airsports parts and with a few new locals and the same controls as WSR it will be a day one buy

dkeane

Started last night, this game seems like it has a bit of challenge to it, I was having problems getting perfect stars on the second group of events.
Really liking it though, the 3d isn't has pronounced as Street Fighter but it still adds something to the visuals.

dk_

jarosh said:
i'm not sure how this is less of a game than for example an arcade racer, in which your goal is essentially to make it to the finish line as fast as possible.
Partly OT: What's Cloudwalking's opinion about the 3DS?

Peru

Some experimental, risky photography from yours truly

5577560760_de262cc82d.jpg

5576974815_6526f12f84.jpg

I do quite like the water in this game.

B.K.

dock said:

I think most people just don't really get Pilotwings.

jarosh

i'm still 5 stars away from unlocking the diamond missions and i've logged 8.5 hours :'(

dk_ said:
Partly OT: What's Cloudwalking's opinion about the 3DS?
1st: Pilotwings Resort - 8:33
2nd: Nintendogs & Cats - 8:21

lawblob said:
Also, I think with this game and others, it's not just length that irritates reviewers. Nintendo games are flat out lacking the accoutrements of most normal games in 2011. Hell, when most of my 99 cent iPhone games have achievements, leader boards, friend lists, etc., it just makes the game feel more full, a richer experience. While the core game of Pilotwings is damn good, IMO, because it lacks the secondary stuff that most games have now, you end up focusing solely on the experience of just playing and beating the game. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask Nintendo to implement features that, like I said, manage to be included in most 99 cent iPhone games I buy, which almost everyone seems to enjoy.
you might be on to something there and i understand that this is important to a lot of "modern gamers", but i couldn't give two fucks about ANY of those features. i don't make use of them and they don't add any value to any game i've ever played, so maybe that's why i don't have an issue with them being absent from pilotwings. but then it might also help that i haven't played any of the previous pilotwings games or wii sports resort, so both the gameplay and the setting are entirely new to me.

GQman2121 said:
I couldn't play this for more than a few minutes with the 3d slider all the way up. It was killing my eyes.
yeah, the 3d in this is weird. a lot of people are having trouble with it. i play with the slider at ~25% at this point and the effect is quite pleasing that way.

jarosh said:

any advice?

This one seems worse than it actually is. From each fuel pad just line yourself up so you're facing the next one. Then take off when the balloons flash and you should be able to pop them all heading in a straight line to the next pad. Also use the green guide dots as a guide. Its just all about taking the right line with the right timing so you hit them all in one swoop.

To weigh in on the playtime thing, I've spent 10 hours with this according to the activity log. Three starred everything except diamond.

iidesuyo

Ushojax said:
Morons said the same thing about Endless Ocean. Apparently if it's relaxing to play then it isn't a game.

Actually I don't think it's relaxing to play... some missions are frustrating.

Farmboy

I'm on 74 i-locations, anyone have suggestions for where that last one might be? I've been pretty thorough...

Seem to recall there was a whale-related one in Wii Sports Resort. Is there one in PWR? If so, that's probably the one I don't have.

Also have 10 or so balloons to go. Do you get unlimited time when you pop 'em all, or does it just go up to 5:00?

shawnlreed

Farmboy said:
I'm on 74 i-locations, anyone have suggestions for where that last one might be? I've been pretty thorough...

Seem to recall there was a whale-related one in Wii Sports Resort. Is there one in PWR? If so, that's probably the one I don't have.

Also have 10 or so balloons to go. Do you get unlimited time when you pop 'em all, or does it just go up to 5:00?

The time limit goes to 5 minutes once you get 120 balloons, but does not become unlimited.
The last 2 balloons I found were the Mysterious Spot one (its in the air, you can find it by flying straight forward using the plane at night) and the Sweet Beach one which is a tiny sliver of beach behind one of the smaller islands.
There is no whale related i-location in this game, even though there is a whale that appears randomly and flips its tail in the air.

jarosh

Air Zombie Meat said:
This one seems worse than it actually is. From each fuel pad just line yourself up so you're facing the next one. Then take off when the balloons flash and you should be able to pop them all heading in a straight line to the next pad. Also use the green guide dots as a guide. Its just all about taking the right line with the right timing so you hit them all in one swoop.
i managed to get 3 stars after a LOT of tries. but i didn't really pay attention to the flashing. it never made sense to me. how can you go in a straight line with the jetpack? that's not really possible. when you take off from the fuel pad you'll shoot straight up into the air. i'm not sure how the flashing helps. at what point am i expected to go forward to get the timing right? i just did it my own way. whenever i looked at the flashing of the balloons i screwed it up.

there's one last mission that i haven't got 3 stars on: the one where you have to go up 500 m (dunno how much that is in feet) with the glider. i get to 450 but never higher. and i'm not sure about the strategy in that mission either. all the hot air thingies and the randomly placed bonus points confuse the hell out of me. any advice there?

Farmboy said:
There's a way to look up exactly which one your missing, I think before you do a free flight there will be an option called progress. Do that and the press A to go through the list of locations. What's the number for the one you don't have?

jarosh said:
i managed to get 3 stars after a LOT of tries. but i didn't really pay attention to the flashing. it never made sense to me. how can you go in a straight line with the jetpack? that's not really possible. when you take off from the fuel pad you'll shoot straight up into the air. i'm not sure how the flashing helps. at what point am i expected to go forward to get the timing right? i just did it my own way. whenever i looked at the flashing of the balloons i screwed it up.

there's one last mission that i haven't got 3 stars on: the one where you have to go up 500 m (dunno how much that is in feet) with the glider. i get to 450 but never higher. and i'm not sure about the strategy in that mission either. all the hot air thingies and the randomly placed bonus points confuse the hell out of me. any advice there?

Straight line = not turning left or right, going straight towards the next pad by angling the jets to give you the right mix of forward+upward momentum. Taking off with the flashes gives you a good chance the balloons will all be lined up right in the middle of your path on the way. It's not totally precise but gives you a rough guide.

For the glider one I just went for the highest thermals first and didn't bother with the tokens until after I'd hit 500 (or close to it, you don't need exactly 500 for 3 stars) and grabbed them on the way down. Pull back on the stick a bit to get extra height in thermals if you aren't already. Landing right around the 3 minute mark is also important for three stars.

1-D_FTW

B.K. said:
I think most people just don't really get Pilotwings.

Yes. Reading all the people talking about how "boring" Pilotwings was in the Best Buy impressions made me sad.

Seeing the glowing impressions in this thread makes me happy. Pilotwings is one of the true stars of Nintendo's lineup. It may not sell like the games aimed at the mainstream audiences, but aside from Mario, is better than any of them.

I can see people coming away thinking it was boring if they only played the early missions though. I wasn't really feeling it until they get a bit more involving.

Rich!

Pilotwings is awesome. I've said that ever since I got the SNES one fifteen years ago. Please, Pilotwings - never change.

Dragmire

richisawesome said:
Pilotwings is awesome. I've said that ever since I got the SNES one fifteen years ago. Please, Pilotwings - never change.
I know. It may be to the game's detriment, at least in terms of appealing to hardcore gamers. But I like it the way it is. And it strangely seems to fit all too well into the "casual Wii Sports" market of games. I mean, there was no shoehorning when they set it on Wuhu Island. It feels perfectly at home there. (And that's not sarcasm in case it sounded like it)

shawnlreed

So glad I downloaded all those Miis from the QR thread.
Makes finding the Mii statues in Free Flight mode so much more entertaining.

reggieandTFE said:

Go down fast, get the (10?) points with the top of the hang glider, first air column, go slightly up, then go out of it fast tilting down, GO STRAIGHT to the air column you see at the end, there are 10 points in the middle, dont tilt to much, only the necessary to get the points barely with your feet and have a good speed at the same time. Enter the air column tilt upwards and turn right inside of it, and start then tilting downwards (if you get the too slow message you are doing it wrong). Start to make your journey to the next air column and start to take a turn to enter it straight looking at the air column besides the volcano (the biggest one). Tilt a little up to regain height and then tilt down fast, you will go out of it at a high speed, straight to the last air column (the one besides the volcano), enter it with the hang glider staright (very important it needs to be straight, without any tilting) leave it 1 sec while the air column is pulling you up, and then start to tilt upwards slightly, with the pad to something in the middle (not full down) you will start to regain height very fast, the too slow message will appear, dont worry this time, when you get the 1500 feet tilt the hang glidler down and turn it all to the right nearly 180º you need to get those point by going down in cirlces until you get the last, make and try to land.
IMPORTANT: Land with 3 minutes something (3:02 - 3:05) if not the game will say you ddidnt made the time requirements and it will give you 0 points if you arrive before 3 minutes.

Veal

So are there any original Pilotwings music tracks or remixes in this game? I loved the SNES soundtrack so much...

Rich!

Veal said:
So are there any original Pilotwings music tracks or remixes in this game? I loved the SNES soundtrack so much...

Just the title theme. A bit from Pilotwings 64...but I do much prefer the SNES' one. This one definitely takes more influence from PW64.

Ok, hands down the hangglider stuff is the best. The only one that frustrated me was the 1500ft one that people are talking about.

richisawesome said:
Just the title theme. A bit from Pilotwings 64...but I do much prefer the SNES' one. This one definitely takes more influence from PW64.

Just saw the images you posted of SNES pilotwings and I cant take the music from my head!

low-G

So today I got 3 stars in all classes (including diamond). I've done a fair amount of free flight too. Really enjoyed the game, but I think I'm nearing the back end of my play time.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't wait forever to make another Pilotwings game.

Barrett2

I just started the free flight stuff today. There is a ton of stuff to collect! The Hell is going on with this 3hr review nonsense? I'm 7 hours in, still loving every minute!

bender

What time is it?
Granted I'm early on (Bronze Missions) but it seems like getting perfect landings in the plane is more about the location your plane comes to rest. That seems like an odd way to score as you can perform fairly rough landings without being penalized.

rhino4evr

I just posted in the official launch thread..but let me say that I'm extrememly impressed by Pilotwings and can't believe the Mediocre reviews it's gotten.

If you are an old school Nintendo fan, this
Is about as classic Nintendo you can get. The gameplay is completely solid and is filled with little surprises and quirks that only Nintendo
Can pull off.

Awesome...that's my review.

Top Bottom