• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

Teknoman

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I would never understand why you will try to discourage somebody of buying a game in your store. Thats stupidity at its highest level.
Even more when you try to spread lies. Maybe it was Kinspiracy :lol

Try defending Bulletstorm when a co-worker pops outta nowhere saying it sucks. Same for Yakuza 3 (which I just got into, and its actually pretty awesome).

Teknoman said:
Try defending Bulletstorm when a co-worker pops outta nowhere saying it sucks. Same for Yakuza 3 (which I just got into, and its actually pretty awesome).

Really, a co-worker?
People are really nuts.
If I thought the game was really good, I would defend it, even if my co-worker would say the contrary. Reminds me of trying to defend myself in high school becuase I owned a Gamecube, the others would always say the game I played probably sucked.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Really, a co-worker?
People are really nuts.
If I thought the game was really good, I would defend it, even if my co-worker would say the contrary. Reminds me of trying to defend myself in high school becuase I owned a Gamecube, the others would always say the game I played probably sucked.

We got people here at the Gamestop who would do that if they weren't whacked over the head by the manager. I've seen them start to try to customers.

The manager of the store is a grizzled old gamerdude who clearly knows his shit, and doesn't talk stupid. All three of his employees are kids from the local college who's game experience amounts to "HALO IS SICK DUDE. MASTER CHIEF. HE. FUCKING. ROCKS. AWESOME REACH IS AWESOME!"*

Manager knows I and a few other people are about as grizzled as he is. When "his kids" are having a bubble headed circle jerk over the latest picture of Marcus Fenix curbstomping a Locust head, he and we tend to stand at the other end of the store and exchange looks with eyebrows rod-straight.

*That Master Chief is not the star of Reach is besides the point. When I bought a copy of Halo Wars, the kid on duty asked me what it was. I told him it was an RTS like Starcraft. He stared blankly at me and mimicked a sniper rifle motion and asked "can you shoot people in it?" I told him... you control armies of little mans that shoot people. He looked at me with tremendous skepticism.

Teknoman

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Really, a co-worker?
People are really nuts.

Well I mean its usually cool, since everyone I work with likes a wide range of stuff...but we'll occasionally have a friendly clash about stuff like that. Its fine if he/she thinks something sucks, but at least follow up with why. And dont do it when i'm making a sell / in the middle of saying why they might or might not like it lol.

mrkgoo said:
Is it as good as Pilot Wings 64?

So long, I've wanted a sequel to that. Sorry, I haven't been following the 3DS stuff. It comes out here tomorrow!
Lack of Little States instantly says no. But no, it's all the gameplay of Pilotwings 64 without the multiple locales.

farnham

Banned
the 3d effect in this game really helps you to estimate the distance of your targets

also squirrel suit = best 3d effect ever.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SpacePirate Ridley said:
For the live of me I cant find the last hang glider golden ring. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

One oddball one I found is one just to the left (and higher altitude) from where you start in daytime.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So is this going to be another ExciteTruck/Bots situation?

As in, reviewers pan the shit out of it for being 'shallow' and 'boring' and 'uninteresting'?

Then I pick it up, get addicted as all mighty fuck to the tight pussy skill based scoring system, and end up spending hours upon hours mastering the motherfucker for its addictive arcade nature?

Because if this offers an even remotely similar level of addictive score focused gameplay to Truck and Bots, I wont hesitate to get this the moment it hits shelves in Australia.

maxmars

EatChildren said:
Because if this offers an even remotely similar level of addictive score focused gameplay to Truck and Bots, I wont hesitate to get this the moment it hits shelves in Australia.

To me it is, although there's no competition with other vehicles for the most part. One of the most fun missions requires you to stalk a car that's running through the island bridge then under a tunnel, finally on a mountain road AND keep shooting at the balloons that keep growing behind the car. It's hilarious. Or the squirrel suit -- same thing.

On a personal note, being used to fly IRL a lot of time around the airports I live nearby, I don't think a whole island with lots of things going on is going to get dull anytime soon.

EatChildren said:

As in, reviewers pan the shit out of it for being 'shallow' and 'boring' and 'uninteresting'?

Then I pick it up, get addicted as all mighty fuck to the tight pussy skill based scoring system, and end up spending hours upon hours mastering the motherfucker for its addictive arcade nature?

I for one would love a PilotBots.

HIT THE GROUND AS FAST AS YOU CAN

syoaran

Izayoi said:
The squirrel suit was so awesome.

Took me about five tries to get a perfect, but when I did, sogood.gif.

I just got to this on the train this morning, so very very awesome. They could have easily made another 5-6 levels with just that premise. Can't believe I'm saying this, but... DLC please. This could really use it.

Izayoi

Banned
syoaran said:
I just got to this on the train this morning, so very very awesome. They could have easily made another 5-6 levels with just that premise. Can't believe I'm saying this, but... DLC please. This could really use it.
Or a sequel. With like rocket powered squirrel suits are something. Aw yeah.

bender

What time is it?
Don't forget parachutes for the sequel. :)

Finally got to play some tonight. Only got to play the training missions but the game is so peaceful. I love the music.

dock

Oh, I'd love to see a sequel to this down the line. I hope it sells well enough to gather interest. Of course, it's also got me hankering for a Wii version.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Wuhu Island in future, and whether they continue to use it or whether they move or expand the Mii location to somewhere new. There's no reason why they couldn't add another island entirely nearby Wuhu, and even offer chances to fly between the two.

I really suck at Hang Glider! D: Does anyone have any tips for the the challenge where you need to gather speed to break the targets?

jonezer4 said:
Anyone know how to get perfect accuracy when landing the plane? I'll land it dead in the middle and still get docked 2 or 3 points for accuracy. I'm assuming it has something to do with not just left/right, but also my front to back position on the landing strip?
Also, if will dock points if you change course during your time on the water at the end of your landing.

EatChildren said:

It's actually made by the same people: Monster Games

Barrett2

Still in the silver events, but it feels like the hanglider events are so much harder than the jet pack / airplane.

This game is awesome.

dock said:
Oh, I'd love to see a sequel to this down the line. I hope it sells well enough to gather interest. Of course, it's also got me hankering for a Wii version.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Wuhu Island in future, and whether they continue to use it or whether they move or expand the Mii location to somewhere new. There's no reason why they couldn't add another island entirely nearby Wuhu, and even offer chances to fly between the two.

I really suck at Hang Glider! D: Does anyone have any tips for the the challenge where you need to gather speed to break the targets?

When you are in the hot air upstream tilt a little bit up the hang glider if you want to go up (you will probably have the low speed signal), if you want to get at out of the upstream as fast as you can with high velocity just tilt it downwards a lot. You will gou out the upstream with usually 75 to 100 km/h, and you will break easilly any speed target.
When you have various speed targets and you start from top, just tilt the hang glider to hit the middle of the first one, NEVER tilt upwards if you see you are not going to hit it, that means you titlted downwards too much. This speed targets, even more when they are in groups are done for the max speed you are going to get in that section, so you have to be precise with the first one and the other will be hit easily.

syoaran said:
If Nintendo ever gets with the times, yes, DLC for this game would be amazing.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I would never understand why you will try to discourage somebody of buying a game in your store. Thats stupidity at its highest level.

This basically happened to me during the system launch on Sunday.

I'd had some money from an insurance settlement on a Future Shop card, so I decided to put it towards the 3DS and pre-ordered it.

I was 4th in a pretty short line as the store opened, then they starting having tech issues as some items wouldn't scan. After over 30 minutes they still hadn't sold the system to the first customer.

Everyone in line was getting frustrated, then they tell us that Pilotwings and the Samurai game won't scan, so they can't sell them. I had Pilotwings, Ridge Racer and Street Fighter in my hands to purchase along with the system I'd pre-ordered.

I told the employee (who was a useless idiot) that was fine, I'd just be buying all my games next-door at Wal-Mart.

To which he snidely replied "Why don't you buy your system there too!?!"

I laughed at him, "Really?!? Why do you think I'm standing in this pre-order line? I've already paid for the system."

Lemmy Caution said:
This basically happened to me during the system launch on Sunday.

I'd had some money from an insurance settlement on a Future Shop card, so I decided to put it towards the 3DS and pre-ordered it.

I was 4th in a pretty short line as the store opened, then they starting having tech issues as some items wouldn't scan. After over 30 minutes they still hadn't sold the system to the first customer.

Everyone in line was getting frustrated, then they tell us that Pilotwings and the Samurai game won't scan, so they can't sell them. I had Pilotwings, Ridge Racer and Street Fighter in my hands to purchase along with the system I'd pre-ordered.

I told the employee (who was a useless idiot) that was fine, I'd just be buying all my games next-door at Wal-Mart.

To which he snidely replied "Why don't you buy your system there too!?!"

I laughed at him, "Really?!? Why do you think I'm standing in this pre-order line? I've already paid for the system."
What a dick

By the way fellow gaffer nofi just posted his review of the game on The Sixth Axis, worth a read! He gave it a very respectable 8/10 too.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/03/30/review-pilotwings-resort-3ds/

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
EatChildren said:

Dude, it so does.

This game reminds me so much of a relaxing-version of Excite Truck it's not even funny. Just awesome. Get it.

nofi

Neuromancer said:
By the way fellow gaffer nofi just posted his review of the game on The Sixth Axis, worth a read! He gave it a very respectable 8/10 too.

The game's great, I don't get all the 6/10 scores.

EatChildren said:

I enjoyed ExciteTruck, didn't play Bots. It is kind of similar but play bursts are much shorter (which I prefer for portable play).

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The jet pack is the most evil mother fucker in existance. Strangley I love the jetpack in free mode.
Also super jetpack>normal jetpack. The game says that it harder to control, but to me is much easier.
*high five* my exact feelings.

jarosh said:
one thing that people really need to be made aware of is the actual length of the game. can't believe the fud that's been spread about being able to complete the game in 90 minutes or so. i'm at 94 out of 117 stars (there's actually more that i haven't unlocked) right now and i've played for over 6 hours according to the activity log. just to UNLOCK all the basic missions, to progress to the next tier (which means getting 2 stars on average in each tier) will take around 3 - 4 hours, and at that point you might not even have touched the platinum missions, but merely unlocked them. i haven't even unlocked the bonus/diamond missions at 6 hours in! and i haven't touched the free flight mode at all!
Yeah, I think people that commented in that regard or did reviews never bothered to play or finish the game. I think I'm 6 hours in and not nearly finished.

gingerbeardman said:
Up to Gold in this now and it's really getting good. Loving the rasta bike.

(all red Novice, half red Bronze & Silver)
Yeah the music that plays with the pedal bike is amazing. :lol

Please tell me there is a REAL free flight mode that is unlockable, and not this timed bullshit?

I really enjoy this game, but I want to explore every damn inch of this place like I did with every map in 64.

The Mana Legend said:
Please tell me there is a REAL free flight mode that is unlockable, and not this timed bullshit?

I really enjoy this game, but I want to explore every damn inch of this place like I did with every map in 64.
As you progress in the mission mode, you'll unlock aspects in free flight that can increase the time limit up to 5 minutes.

The Mana Legend said:

My advice is to just pick a regular mission and go from there, I don't think any of them have time limits.

nofi

Neuromancer said:
My advice is to just pick a regular mission and go from there, I don't think any of them have time limits.

Or start a new profile, the flying school gives you unlimited time.

I am having more fun with this game than I thought I would. I absolutely adore the hand glider.

Also, it's impossible to get a perfect score on those landing segments.
I SWEAR I GET A PERFECT LANDING, BUT THE GAME DOESN'T BELIEVE ME!

dragonballjoseph said:
I am having more fun with this game than I thought I would. I absolutely adore the hand glider.

Do you do a running landing?

dragonballjoseph said:

The hang glider landing is the most difficult landing in the game. If you hear the bump, even if think you have landed perfectly , that means you have screwed up when you touched floor.

I would advise, if you're having problems with the hang glider landings, go back to the novice training level and do it over and over until you get a feel for what speed and what angle you need. Nothing more frustrating than doing well on a mission, only to screw up the landing.

Edit: oh well same thing applies, I know with the plane you don't want to turn when you touch down.

dock

SpacePirate Ridley said:
When you are in the hot air upstream tilt a little bit up the hang glider if you want to go up (you will probably have the low speed signal), if you want to get at out of the upstream as fast as you can with high velocity just tilt it downwards a lot. You will gou out the upstream with usually 75 to 100 km/h, and you will break easilly any speed target.
When you have various speed targets and you start from top, just tilt the hang glider to hit the middle of the first one, NEVER tilt upwards if you see you are not going to hit it, that means you titlted downwards too much. This speed targets, even more when they are in groups are done for the max speed you are going to get in that section, so you have to be precise with the first one and the other will be hit easily.
Thanks, great tips! I managed to pick up lots of speed now. Still need to push harder to get a three star, but getting much better scores than before, and I think this info will help my gliding in general.

SpacePirate Ridley said:

I spread lies? Pilot Wings is one of the worst purchases I've ever made. *You* may enjoy doing the same insanely boring levels over and over and consider that to be a lengthy gaming experience, but I just found it to be more incredibly dreadful game design. But yeah, your opinion is more valid than someone else's. I don't begrudge anyone liking a game I hate. Hell, I'm sure I love a lot of games other people despise.

onipex

I can't understand how someone could get through all the content in this game in couple hours. Getting 3 stars in everything is not easy. Getter perfect scores are hard and after you get one the game tell you that can score higher than that. I have no idea how to do that.
The game is pretty fun though.

jgkspsx

Up to four minutes in free flight mode! But free flight should be free! Oh well.

Getting perfects on missions gets pretty difficult early on.

Very satisfied with this on every level except Wuhu reuse and unfree-flight.

see5harp said:
So does this game has leaderboards?+
No it does not, at least not internet based. Maybe it does for local play.

jgkspsx said:
Up to four minutes in free flight mode! But free flight should be free! Oh well.

Getting perfects on missions gets pretty difficult early on.

Very satisfied with this on every level except Wuhu reuse and unfree-flight.
Those are my only two beefs, as well. Oh well, room for improvement for a sequel.

Milpool

I've red starred novice through to gold so far and my hands are always in agony after about 20 minutes of play, especially on jet pack levels which require lots of throttle control+manoeuvring. I'd even consider one of those tacky looking hand grips...

Closing in on 6 hours of combined play time, probably my favourite game in a long while.

Top Bottom