• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball FX 2 |OT|

Guts & Puck said:
I'm loving the new tables and am slowly getting the hang of them, except for Rome. My scores are nothing spectacular, though I'm first on my friends list on almost every table. I'll be adding a list of people from this thread for more leaderboard competition. My gt : kamikaze genes
We can help you fix that.

jizzlobber said:
that's not the proper name, but it's when you move the submarine thingo forwards, every time you do it it locks a ball, do it 3 times (takes quite a while) and you get a 4 ball multiball... I was just concentrating on my flippers but I could hear jackpot jackpot jackpot :lol
when I lost my balls I saw 30million flash on the screen, but it wasn't added to my score, you must have to claim it somehow
Doesn't the little toy sub move forward every time you shoot the right ramp? Occasionally it diverts the ball into the sub itself, but I don't really get when it decides to do that. I think I've gotten that 4-ball multi at least once but I definitely didn't get 30 million off it.

BTW, I figured out what they mean by hit the launch button at "the right time" in Secrets of the Deep. Sometimes when you shoot the left ramp, you'll hear a "ping" sound as the ball goes up the ramp. Normally the ball gets fed down to the left inlane, but notice how the ball passes by a habitrail that's normally not used that leads off to the right. If you hear that "ping" sound, hit the launch button just as the ball passes that habitrail. With proper timing it'll divert the ball to the right and get you some points.

see5harp

Parallax Scroll said:
We can help you fix that.

Doesn't the little toy sub move forward every time you shoot the right ramp? Occasionally it diverts the ball into the sub itself, but I don't really get when it decides to do that. I think I've gotten that 4-ball multi at least once but I definitely didn't get 30 million off it.

BTW, I figured out what they mean by hit the launch button at "the right time" in Secrets of the Deep. Sometimes when you shoot the left ramp, you'll hear a "ping" sound as the ball goes up the ramp. Normally the ball gets fed down to the left inlane, but notice how the ball passes by a habitrail that's normally not used that leads off to the right. If you hear that "ping" sound, hit the launch button just as the ball passes that habitrail. With proper timing it'll divert the ball to the right and get you some points.

You've gotta hit that ramp once to get a ball into the sub, then like 5 more times just to lock that ball. Multiball is the only really way I've figured out how to score big on that table.

Parallax Scroll said:

Once the ball the ball is in the sub(I don't know why it does this but it does it fairly often), every time you hit the ramp it moves forward slightly, after 3-4 moves forward the ball locks, repeat 3 times & you get a multiball, as for the 30mil, no clue how you would get that.

see5harp said:
You've gotta hit that ramp once to get a ball into the sub, then like 5 more times just to lock that ball. Multiball is the only really way I've figured out how to score big on that table.
I guess I'm more or less doing it right then. If I'm not trying to hit the upper playfield drop targets, I mostly just make a lot of ramp shots. Modes eventually kick in, even if I don't know exactly what starts them.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Once the ball the ball is in the sub(I don't know why it does this but it does it fairly often), every time you hit the ramp it moves forward slightly, after 3-4 moves forward the ball locks, repeat 3 times & you get a multiball, as for the 30mil, no clue how you would get that.
So, just shoot the right ramp like 20 times. Easy enough.

Up until now on Secrets I've seen Ball Locked messages pop up seemingly at random. IIRC the ball you're actually using at the time remains in play, so the game doesn't really make it clear what you did that caused the lock to occur. In fact I thought it had something to do with the left ramp, not the right, since I'll often make alternating ramp shots.

see5harp

Parallax Scroll said:
I guess I'm more or less doing it right then. If I'm not trying to hit the upper playfield drop targets, I mostly just make a lot of ramp shots. Modes eventually kick in, even if I don't know exactly what starts them.

To get the "shark attack" multiball you have to go up top and hit targets on the left side. Not sure how the mine attack or kraken events trigger. To get the mini games to start you've got to get up top to the right side. None of the minigames seem to really do much in terms of score though.

see5harp said:
To get the "shark attack" multiball you have to go up top and hit targets on the left side. Not sure how the mine attack or kraken events trigger. To get the mini games to start you've got to get up top to the right side. None of the minigames seem to really do much in terms of score though.
Shit, there's targets over there? TOO MUCH CRAP I CAN'T SEE

jizzlobber said:
that's not the proper name, but it's when you move the submarine thingo forwards, every time you do it it locks a ball, do it 3 times (takes quite a while) and you get a 4 ball multiball... I was just concentrating on my flippers but I could hear jackpot jackpot jackpot :lol
when I lost my balls I saw 30million flash on the screen, but it wasn't added to my score, you must have to claim it somehow
I played another game on Secrets, and it looks like the 4-ball multi you get from the submarine is called Abyss Multiball. I think what you saw at the end was "30m," which means your sub descended to a depth of 30 meters during the multiball. If you do Abyss Multi a second time that game I think it continues from the depth where you left off before. How do you add depth? I dunno, jackpot shots probably. I believe something good happens if you reach like 100 meters or something.

By the way, I've actually turned arcade effects back on. It helps in figuring out how many points different targets are worth, and the ball trails probably make multiball a bit easier to follow.

Dizzy-4U

Out of curiosity, which view do you guys use? I'm pretty confortable with View 4, not too close and not too far either. I tried the one where you can view the whole table but I can't see the ball very well.

Petrae

Dizzy-4U said:
Out of curiosity, which view do you guys use? I'm pretty confortable with View 4, not too close and not too far either. I tried the one where you can view the whole table but I can't see the ball very well.

I use View 6. It's kind of far away, but it lets me see the full table so I can plan my shots in advance and easily see what's going on at all times. The down side is that some flippers and/or shots can be obscured due to the distance from the actual playfield.

Dizzy-4U said:

Not sure which view this is (think it's 6?) but I use the furthest one out. The default view feels like I'm looking at the table with my chin on it. Zoomed out and looking down feels more natural and it's helping me realize the physics are better than I thought.

Anybody have tips on the SFII table? I'm starting to get the hang of it and just pulled off 19 million (mostly by getting the multiball) but I can't figure out the "combos" section (with Chun Li, maybe Ryu, somebody else I forget). There are symbols that light up next to each character, but I have no idea what they mean or what I'm supposed to be doing. Also, after I light up Akuma am I just supposed to keep aiming for his ramp?

The rule descriptions are garbage - the pictures are tiny and don't always show you what's being described (poorly).

Dizzy-4U said:
6 is my default but I'll sometimes use others.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
loving the game, mainly stick to secrets of the deep because it takes a LONG time to figure out where things are, how modes work, then try and hit those modes.

Getting pretty comfortable with trying to score things on secrets of the deep, my score isn't great (28mil I think) but it's really hard to stay on multi ball or hit the crane catch thing.

Dizzy-4U said:

I also use 4.

BTW, I figured out how to do the skill shot on Secrets. Watch the gauge next to the plunger, and keep the needle within the red part of the gauge. The top, middle, and bottom parts of the red section correspond to the 3 flashing skill shot targets.

see5harp

I just went absolutely buck wild and beat Parallax's score on Secrets with a single ball!! The next two balls were straight up horrible though and I didn't even get a single submarine multiball. Still, I'm in the 100 million club!!!

Dizzy-4U

I fucking HATE Rome. HATE IT!. 10 minutes playing and I only get 1 million. Damn you stupid table. DAMN YOU!!!!!!!

Also, Jucksalbe.....196 million on bullwinkle? REALLY??? Damn it dude, give us a chance :'(

turnbuckle

Dizzy-4U said:
I fucking HATE Rome. HATE IT!. 10 minutes playing and I only get 1 million. Damn you stupid table. DAMN YOU!!!!!!!

Also, Jucksalbe.....196 million on bullwinkle? REALLY??? Damn it dude, give us a chance :'(

haha played it a few times and could only get up to 6.2 million. Only have Parallax on my list so far, but he's got more than 10 times that :(

secrets question- what am I trying to do when catapulting at the ship?
sometimes the wrong catapult is used and I mess... how do I use the right one? seems random!

and where do I escape the beast? I can get all the lit ramps but then i'm lost

Petrae

Daigoro said:
So is this game worth it? I still haven't even picked up Williams. How does this compare?

Is the game worth it? Well... that depends. If you bought Pinball FX and any of its DLC tables, then it's a no-brainer since the FX tables can be imported into FX2 for free.

Otherwise, I still say that it's worth the $10 to download the Core Pack of tables for FX2. There's a big focus on high scores and competition between you and members of your Friends List who have the game. Also, the pinball engine is solid with much-improved ball physics over FX and a majority of the new tables are designed well. (Save for Rome, which is a letdown, IMO.)

As for Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, if you can find it, it's still THE pinball game to get for the 360 right now. That game nails ball physics and real-life (and familiar) tables really make the package awesome. Sure, High Speed is missing... but I'll forgive Crave for that one.

Gazunta

Just noticed this thread! Am absolutely loving the game. I only have the FX1 and DLC tables, but will be adding some FX2 tables next week. Feel free to add me if you're good (but not THAT good!) - Gazunta

Edit: How do you view / start tournaments? How do they work?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Dizzy-4U said:

That was a nice run. :D

I still have low scores on all of the new tables, so I'll probably play those for now.

see5harp

I need to work on my Rome score. Now that I feel like I understand every part of Secrets, that is my current favorite.

Jucksalbe said:
That was a nice run. :D

I still have low scores on all of the new tables, so I'll probably play those for now.
I could have sworn I already had you on my friends list. You've got some solid scores on the new tables already.

see5harp

Parallax Scroll said:
I could have sworn I already had you on my friends list. You've got some solid scores on the new tables already.

His scores are pretty damn good..it is you and him killing me on most of the tables. Anyone else out there? Add me.

see5harp said:
His scores are pretty damn good..it is you and him killing me on most of the tables. Anyone else out there? Add me.
Be sure to add GameGuyPeter and swinging udders if you haven't yet. Those guys are contenders too.

turnbuckle

I just cannot figure out how to play the Rome table. I played the R&B table 20 minutes and managed to get a good score, I played Rome about an hour and haven't cracked 7m. The way it pronounces "machina" really irritates me :lol

Jucksalbe

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:

Probably because you have added me on PS3 a while ago (because of Williams Pinball).

I'm just barely at the top of my super score list. So I'm trying to improve my scores where I'm still far away from the top players.

And congrats to turnbuckle for beating me on Rocky & Bullwinkle. Guess my record didn't last long. :lol

turnbuckle

Jucksalbe said:
Probably because you have added me on PS3 a while ago (because of Williams Pinball).

I'm just barely at the top of my super score list. So I'm trying to improve my scores where I'm still far away from the top players.

And congrats to turnbuckle for beating me on Rocky & Bullwinkle. Guess my record didn't last long. :lol

haha, I played it 2 or 3 times where my games lasted about a minute each. Just a terrible performance. That last game I don't know what happened, though I'm not too proud to admit I had my butt saved several times by spelling "CAKE" :lol

see5harp

turnbuckle said:
I just cannot figure out how to play the Rome table. I played the R&B table 20 minutes and managed to get a good score, I played Rome about an hour and haven't cracked 7m. The way it pronounces "machina" really irritates me :lol

The voice samples used in all of their games is straight pathetic. I'm sure it's accurate to a certain degree, but it was one of the most annoying parts of zen pinball.

turnbuckle

see5harp said:
The voice samples used in all of their games is straight pathetic. I'm sure it's accurate to a certain degree, but it was one of the most annoying parts of zen pinball.

I've only tried a few tables so far and for the most part I haven't had much of a complaint. Just that woman's voice and how she says "machineuhhh" have probably doomed me to never break 10m :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Most of the folks on my (short) friends list don't play pinball, so add me if you feel like it: toydragoninblue

turnbuckle

When I get out of work I'm gonna have to go through this thread and start adding people. The game is a lot more fun when you have some friendly competition.

turnbuckle said:
About 4 captive ball hits
right ramp
do Mock Warfare to light lock
captive ball
right ramp to lock
captive ball
right ramp to lock #2
captive ball
right ramp to lock #3
multiball

Top Bottom