• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball FX 2 |OT|

turnbuckle

Petrae said:
Speed Machine is worse, in my book. The multiball makes no sense (in either one, actually) and the table design is just... boring. The table objectives have no real direction, and there's no real excitement to be had.

It's obvious that ZEN has improved with their table designs since the FX1 Core set. Really liking Pasha and Biolab, and starting to like Excalibur more and more.

I played speed machine right after extreme, and I have to agree. I'm not even sure if I finished the game. If either of those two were my first tables I probably wouldn't have played the game again :lol

Nose Master said:
Sweet god, turnbuckle. You make me feel so inadequate at digital pinball :'(

You must not have added many people from this thread then. I feel the same way when I look at the scores Parallax, Petrae, Jucksable, etc.

I did manage to pull a couple good games out of my ass though - the rocky and bullwinkle score I got on like my second try and I don't even know the rules, and the pirate board (whatever it's called) I got that score on my first try. Somehow I managed to get like 8 balls and I don't have a clue how you even get an extra ball there :lol

thundr51

Picked up Dance Central and DJ hero 2 and yet this game continues to consume me...

In other news, anybody else notice theres a slowdown button?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just looked at the scores again after two days. Guess my Pinball King title is forever out of reach. :lol

At least I'm still ranked first on two tables.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Parallax Scroll said:
To be perfectly honest, I found the physics in both FX 1 and Zen so bad that neither one was worth playing. I'm playing the shit out of FX 2 and having a blast, so there's an indication of how improved the physics are. This is definitely worth getting.

That said, FX 2 still doesn't come close to the physics and realism of The Williams Collection.

Thanks man. I honestly can't put my finger on why those guys don't make a digital platform with the Williams engine and start putting up table over table online... it seems the retail releases were never big anyway. Well, that is just a dream I guess.

jizzlobber said:
Will do.
I'll go check FX 2's trial, and see for myself if I can have some fun with it.
Cheers.

Sorry for the lack of contest updates - I've been on the road.

Here is the list of gamertags I have collected from my contest post onwards. If you aren't listed, want in, AND you posted your gamertag in an earlier portion of the thread, just email me your GT and I will add you. Otherwise, no more entrants.

I'll be sending friend requests as "QuasiMink5" (thanks, random GT generator).

Bacon McShig
Reluctant Hero
see5harp
SCHUEY F1
Gillian Seed X
swinging udders
zorbs
Ronabo
yankeeh8er
MRS B0B L0BLAW
Absoludacrous
Workinonit24
armedcatfish
Jucksalbe
ThundR
AJ4Seven
zandatsu
Cantaloup
Antiquegamer
ericmbee
MonkeylordUK
mattclemson
ParallaxScroll
GameGuyPeter
Phreaker
kamikaze genes
Turnbuckle47
Gazunta
toydragoninblue
Cantaloup
armedcatfish
ZombieSupaStar
komakaze
Licorice King

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nose Master said:
I kind of want to buy all the tables. Any of them I should steer clear of (minus SF2, which I already bought :lol)?

Bad? That's the first I wanted! Isn't that updated or something for the new ball physics?
Is it true to the original arcade pinball?

thundr51

Ok SERIOUSLY I want to know what some of you guys are doing to get those outrageous scores...I'm lucky to get 6-7M on Secrets of the Deep but you guys that are getting over 100M W T F.

At this point i'm trying to concentrate on doing one thing (Getting 3 balls locked on the minisub isn't as easy as I thought). But obviously I'm not doing something right...

Jucksalbe

Banned
What do you have to do when you activate the Roar of the Kraken on Secrets of the Deep? I saw all the lights of the lower ramps but hitting those isn't enough.

I just got the top score (on my list anyway) on nightmare mansion by a measly 200k :lol
time to move onto something else now.

I want to get a decent biolab score, but I just don't have it in me, I can't do the skillshot, and I can't do the muscle upgrade.
and for some reason I lose my ball to the side WAY more than I do on other tables.

that secrets of the deep score is AMAZING!!!!
WOW!!!

Jucksalbe

Banned
jizzlobber said:
I just got the top score (on my list anyway) on nightmare mansion by a measly 200k :lol

Nooooo! That means my next record's gone.
At least I should still be first on the SF table, but I'm too afraid to start the game now. :lol

Edit: Finally my hard days of being a junior are over!
After merely three years

Nose Master

Dash Kappei said:
Bad? That's the first I wanted! Isn't that updated or something for the new ball physics?
Is it true to the original arcade pinball?

It's just a really simple and boring table IMO. Worst one out of the ones I have by far.

thundr51 said:
Ok SERIOUSLY I want to know what some of you guys are doing to get those outrageous scores...I'm lucky to get 6-7M on Secrets of the Deep but you guys that are getting over 100M W T F.
At this point i'm trying to concentrate on doing one thing (Getting 3 balls locked on the minisub isn't as easy as I thought). But obviously I'm not doing something right...
Multiball is where the points are at, so you've got the right idea. Trap the ball and then line up your ramp shot.

Jucksalbe said:
What do you have to do when you activate the Roar of the Kraken on Secrets of the Deep? I saw all the lights of the lower ramps but hitting those isn't enough.
2 more orbit shots in the left upper playfield.

jizzlobber said:
I want to get a decent biolab score, but I just don't have it in me, I can't do the skillshot, and I can't do the muscle upgrade.
Muscle is the only upgrade I can get reliably.

I'm starting to get friend requests from strangers to boost their wizard scores, and one guy accused me of glitching. I'm e-famous!

Kweh

I've been playing Secrets of the Deep solidly, and think I have got the hang of most of the rules, but I still haven't a clue how to get a multiplier.

Nose Master

Finally "got" SotD yesterday. Didn't realize how easy it is to rack up millions while in multiball. I got about 7 mil in 20 seconds :lol.

PS: Holy hell is Xtreme terrible. I really don't like the smaller tables, and cutting an already small table in half and putting in nothing but ramps? *shudder*

Brain upgrade in biolab is stupid easy as well.

mclem

I'm starting to get somewhere with SotD and (less so) with Rome. Biolab I'm picking up bits of but can't yet put it together, and I'm absolutely nowhere with Pasha. I got a highish score (by my standards) on it *solely* because I got a 5M at one point and I have no idea where it came from.

Not that I've even yet broken 10M on any of them.

Nose Master

Damn you, Paralaxxxxx :lol. Once you get going on SotD, it's so easy to just keep the multiballs coming up every time you run out.

Still 400m shy, but I'm 11th now on that table :lol

PS: What in the hell are you supposed to do when you're asked to save the turtles? I have no idea, and always hate when I get that mission.

Mr YuYu

Will the gaf contest be held on the new tables or the old ones? Or both? I wanna enter but i only have the old ones + sf 2

Nose Master said:
Damn you, Paralaxxxxx :lol. Once you get going on SotD, it's so easy to just keep the multiballs coming up every time you run out.

PS: What in the hell are you supposed to do when you're asked to save the turtles? I have no idea, and always hate when I get that mission.
Ignore it, lol

turnbuckle

I'm so wildly inconsistent with this game.

I managed to get over 108m on my first ball in Pasha last night. I had a total of 5 balls that game and only ended up with I think around 150m.

Part of my strategy in Pasha now is that if I have the multi-ball lock set up and I manage to trigger that book mini-game (which seems to disable the ability to lock balls/get a multiball) I just hold the ball on the flipper and wait it out. Getting the multiball jackpot is worth so much more than risking losing a ball on a minigame that I typically fail at anyways. Out of like 10 tries I've managed to have success in that alternating magnet minigame just once.

One thing I don't like about Pasha is how the board gets dark when the lock is lit. It makes the board harder to see and I have an especially difficult time locating and aiming the ball off the top left flipper during it. Otherwise, I think it's my second favorite board next to Excalibur. I still haven't managed to get a hang of hitting the lock consistently in that one.

Mr YuYu said:
Will the gaf contest be held on the new tables or the old ones? Or both? I wanna enter but i only have the old ones + sf 2

No more entries for the current contest (on the 4 new tables), but I might run another one next month.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I need more people on my friends list for this game. I only have the original + DLC tables right now, but will be purchasing PFX2 in full soon. Send me an invite!

GT: HackGenie

Here's the contest standings - I've only included players who had a score in the top 5 on any of the four tables. Also, there are a few people whom I have not been able to invite yet because of MS restrictions on # of pending invites. If you have a score that would place you in the standings, fret not - and send a friend invite to QuasiMink5.

A couple notes: only one code per player - the Trueskill code will go to a player who is not in the top 2 on the table scoreboard. Also, in case of a tie in Trueskill, Core Pack score is the tiebreaker.

Edit: another note. Contest will end on midnight PST on November 15 rather than 11. I wanted people to have the weekend to play, but I was looking at October on the calendar rather than November. Oops!

Core Pack
1. ParallaxScroll: 700.2M
2. see5HARP: 305.0M
3. swingingudders: 281.3M
4. Licorice King 245.7M
5. GameGuyPeter: 199.4M
6. Cantaloup: 169.9M
7. Jacksalbe: 154.9M
8. Ronabo: 94.6M

(Edited to include Licorice King)

Ranked Match Trueskill
1. Ronabo: 13
2. Zandatsu: 13
3. see5HARP: 8

(looks like this code will be easy pickings!)

see5harp

Sorry, but Parallax's score on Deep will never be beat, which really makes the Wizard Score nearly unattainable unless you are straight boss on the other tables.

see5harp said:
Sorry, but Parallax's score on Deep will never be beat, which really makes the Wizard Score nearly unattainable unless you are straight boss on the other tables.

There are codes for both 1st and 2nd place!

see5harp

Open Source said:
There are codes for both 1st and 2nd place!

I'm going to keep playing because I love the game. I just don't want to be in denial about being 2nd place or worse. Parallax had a night where he first doubled, then tripled my high score to jump to 2nd in the world. That's like legend etched into granite.

Nose Master

see5harp said:

Nonsense. He will be defeated :mad:

see5harp said:
I'm going to keep playing because I love the game. I just don't want to be in denial about being 2nd place or worse. Parallax had a night where he first doubled, then tripled my high score to jump to 2nd in the world. That's like legend etched into granite.
It's first now

turnbuckle said:
One thing I don't like about Pasha is how the board gets dark when the lock is lit. It makes the board harder to see and I have an especially difficult time locating and aiming the ball off the top left flipper during it. Otherwise, I think it's my second favorite board next to Excalibur. I still haven't managed to get a hang of hitting the lock consistently in that one.
Why would you want to? I just let it drop down to the bottom flippers so I can lock it.

Petrae

Just had some good runs, including a 65M effort on Biolab. Still nowhere near close to a few of you, but saying that I have the top spot on a couple of tables is fine by me.

Lots of talented pinball wizards in this thread; thanks to all for not only the friendly competition-- but also the tips and tricks that you share along the way.

turnbuckle

Parallax Scroll said:
It's first now

Why would you want to? I just let it drop down to the bottom flippers so I can lock it.

I always try to hit the ramp hidden behind the upper right flipper so I can try and get the multi-ball that awards an extra ball if you complete it. That, and because it's sort of an automatic reflex for me to do it out of fear that the ball will otherwise fall right down the middle :p

Nose Master said:
Is there a trick to killing all the guards in Pasha? I can never even get close.

I've only killed all the guards once. Every time I try to intentionally kill the guards I end up losing the ball. Heck, many times I lose the ball right away. I've had my best success in that mode when I try to shoot the ball off the end of the flipper though.

turnbuckle said:
I've only killed all the guards once. Every time I try to intentionally kill the guards I end up losing the ball. Heck, many times I lose the ball right away. I've had my best success in that mode when I try to shoot the ball off the end of the flipper though.
Yeah, if you go off the end of the flipper you can make sort of an "orbit shot" that brings the ball down onto the moving targets from above. You can take out a bunch of them with one shot that way and clear out some space.

Petrae

Just finished a 143M run on Pasha. I'm not gonna catch Parallax, but See5harp and I are pretty close now. Bumped up my scores on all four FX2 Core tables today.

It's been a good day.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Nose Master said:

shoot the squid lanes that light up. I saved 2 turtles once!

Nose Master

Fuck Rome, seriously. Every single ball loss is from not being able to determine which side the ball is going to shoot out on after failing to go up a water ramp (from the peak of the loop). I never thought I'd be angry at pinball, but that table feels so fucking cheap.

I don't mind Rome, but yeah that happens WAY too often.
I have that table sussed, but just can't get a good run together... just have to keep trying

Top Bottom