• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball FX 2 |OT|

Managed to get a few more points, and am allowed to get up to 3 more tables. What's recommended from the PBFX2 tables?

Also, is it me or is the physics on the Rocky and Pinball table largely untouched from PBFX1? The ball seems really light and floaty, and those 2 triangle bumpers (sory, not aux fait with pinball termniology) down near the flippers seem WAY too powerful.

The amount of times I've launched the ball and had it bounce off a flipper and hit one of those triangle bumpers only to be propelled straight down one of the 2 gully's and straight out of play is unreal!

Monkeylord said:
Managed to get a few more points, and am allowed to get up to 3 more tables. What's recommended from the PBFX2 tables?

Also, is it me or is the physics on the Rocky and Pinball table largely untouched from PBFX1? The ball seems really light and floaty, and those 2 triangle bumpers (sory, not aux fait with pinball termniology) down near the flippers seem WAY too powerful.

The amount of times I've launched the ball and had it bounce off a flipper and hit one of those triangle bumpers only to be propelled straight down one of the 2 gully's and straight out of play is unreal!
I think you have to buy all 4 new tables in a bundle.

Also, slingshots and outlanes ;)

Parallax Scroll said:
I think you have to buy all 4 new tables in a bundle.
Dammit, you're right... and she's already bought a load of RB songs, so I can't even negotiate for some more (me and the Gf paid half each).
Parallax Scroll said:
Also, slingshots and outlanes ;)
YAY! Now I know what the hell is going on now, lol.

BTW, here are the current standings for the contest Open Source proposed, at least according to my friends list. I just threw this together quickly by using any scores that showed up in the top 8 for each table, and rounded all scores down to the nearest million. I think I've added everyone to my friends list who has posted their GT in this thread, but if I'm missing anyone please let me know.

Code:
				Secrets	Biolab	Pasha	Rome	Total
ParallaxScroll			64	44	57	64	229
GameGuyPeter			64	39	76	11	190
see5HARP			101	27	42	15	185
Jucksalbe			58	37	39	20	154
swinging udders					100	9	109
kamikaze genes			28	24	26		78
Luse666					24	27	8	59
FloppyMars			36			14	50
Dizzy4U					31			31
Ronabo					23		8	31
Sysgen				30				30
Zandatsu			25				25

see5harp

Parallax Scroll said:
It's not gonna look so beefy once people start figuring Rome out.

I think I've been wasting too much time trying those really tough Conquer minigames in Rome. I probably should just go after the relatively easy Multiball. I can never get it in that damn hole in the upper left to hit the jackpot though. Going to give it a go tonight.

Cantaloup

Parallax Scroll said:
I think I've added everyone to my friends list who has posted their GT in this thread, but if I'm missing anyone please let me know.

You're missing me I think, GT: Cantaloup.

Cantaloup said:
You're missing me I think, GT: Cantaloup.
Friend request sent.

see5harp said:
I think I've been wasting too much time trying those really tough Conquer minigames in Rome. I probably should just go after the relatively easy Multiball. I can never get it in that damn hole in the upper left to hit the jackpot though. Going to give it a go tonight.
I think that's the right idea. I didn't beat a single Conquer event in my 64M game. I attempted them when I had the chance and got some points here and there, but the big points definitely came from multiball.

see5harp

Parallax Scroll said:
Friend request sent.

I think that's the right idea. I didn't beat a single Conquer event in my 64M game. I attempted them when I had the chance and got some points here and there, but the big points definitely came from multiball.

I mean, you do get some good points if you win the event, it's just really hard to hit all of those ramps when they all seem to point straight down between the flippers. Only one of the events will give you an extra ball in play so there's a lot less room for error.

see5harp said:
I mean, you do get some good points if you win the event, it's just really hard to hit all of those ramps when they all seem to point straight down between the flippers. Only one of the events will give you an extra ball in play so there's a lot less room for error.
Sure, and I think there might be a wizard mode or something if you complete all of them. But multiball can rack up big points, and if you follow the cycle of Mock Warfare -> Multiball -> Mock Warfare -> Multiball, you've got a shot at an extra ball each time.

see5harp

Parallax Scroll said:
Sure, and I think there might be a wizard mode or something if you complete all of them. But multiball can rack up big points, and if you follow the cycle of Mock Warfare -> Multiball -> Mock Warfare -> Multiball, you've got a shot at an extra ball each time.

I just got 134 million on Rome. The funny thing is that I had 110 million before I even got a multiball. I basically somehow accrued an 8x multiplier with the Veni Vidi Vichi thing, got a weird 2 ball multiball mode and hit a single target (what amounted to the skill shot with the upper left paddle into the side of the head), and out of the corner of my eye I saw "98 million." So with a single shot, I essentially beat your high score. It's funny because yesterday I was playing that table and thinking that 60 million was a far off dream. For everyone having issues with scores just keep playing. This is the first pinball game I've played for score seriously and sometimes you just get lucky.

turnbuckle

I got like 160 million on rocky and bullwinkle and I won't be surprised if I get 1.6 million next time. My pinball skills (if they can be called that) are made up of about 94.5% luck :lol

see5harp, you bastard. I'm gonna have to step it up.

Here's the score table with your new score and Cantaloup added. He's definitely a contender.

Code:
		Secrets	Biolab	Pasha	Rome	Total
see5HARP	101	27	42	131	301
ParallaxScroll	64	44	57	64	229
GameGuyPeter	64	39	76	11	190
Cantaloup	42	38	54	30	164
Jucksalbe	58	37	39	20	154
swinging udders			100	9	109
kamikaze genes	28	24	26		78
Luse666			24	27	8	59
FloppyMars	36			14	50
Dizzy4U			31			31
Ronabo			23		8	31
Sysgen		30				30
Zandatsu	25				25

Dizzy-4U

I don't know what just happen. I was raging at the Rome table as always, I'm on my second ball struggling with 1.5m miserable points and all of a sudden I hit something in the middle of the screen and wha-bam! Suddenly I'm at 7m. The thing is that the huge achievement thing popped up and I couldn't see what I hit :(

This table is still a mystery for me.

Edit: WHA-BAM! 22m in Rome. Take that you stupid thing!!! I'm starting to figure out some things here :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Parallax Scroll (shadow of the beast ftw lol), I reckon you were (are?) a huge fun of the Gottlieb/Williams Hall of fame games, right?
That's the only pinball games I love (Wii/PS3/had the psp one), simply because of the prefect ball's physics. I remember the first Zen pinball and Pinball FX on the 360 were atrocious for *me*, what did you think of them? I'm not gonna bother hooking the ps3 to the net to download the demo, if this sequel still has fucked up phisics, even if improved over the first game(s). I don't wanna bring negativity to the thread, I'm sure many people here are loving it, so I'll just ask this: How does it compare to Gottlieb/Williams compilations? And I care about your opinion especially (also GAFfers who loved the above compilations and didn't like Zen/Fx).

Also, sorry if I didn't take time to read all the pages looking for an anwer, since all of that has probably been asked already (obvious games' comparison).

It's probably a stupid question but what makes it so hard for Zen to support hotseat multiplayer on the older tables?
That's my biggest disappointment with the game so far, considering this should be an easy and obvious feature. :(

Dash- download pniball FX2 for freem try the new tables, and import your old ones across.
see how you like it... according to everyone else it's similar to zen pinball

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I want to get back into this again when I have the free time, I'm not really a contender yet, I think I may have near the 28 Mil on secrets though

GT: armedcatfish

Dash Kappei said:
Parallax Scroll (shadow of the beast ftw lol), I reckon you were (are?) a huge fun of the Gottlieb/Williams Hall of fame games, right?
That's the only pinball games I love (Wii/PS3/had the psp one), simply because of the prefect ball's physics. I remember the first Zen pinball and Pinball FX on the 360 were atrocious for *me*, what did you think of them? I'm not gonna bother hooking the ps3 to the net to download the demo, if this sequel still has fucked up phisics, even if improved over the first game(s). I don't wanna bring negativity to the thread, I'm sure many people here are loving it, so I'll just ask this: How does it compare to Gottlieb/Williams compilations? And I care about your opinion especially (also GAFfers who loved the above compilations and didn't like Zen/Fx).

Also, sorry if I didn't take time to read all the pages looking for an anwer, since all of that has probably been asked already (obvious games' comparison).
To be perfectly honest, I found the physics in both FX 1 and Zen so bad that neither one was worth playing. I'm playing the shit out of FX 2 and having a blast, so there's an indication of how improved the physics are. This is definitely worth getting.

That said, FX 2 still doesn't come close to the physics and realism of The Williams Collection.

catfish said:
I want to get back into this again when I have the free time, I'm not really a contender yet, I think I may have near the 28 Mil on secrets though

GT: armedcatfish
Friend request sent. Coulda swore I added you already, but I had to delete some friends to make room a few days ago and I might have removed a few gaffers by mistake.

Also: Secrets of the Deep 184 million
34o7fqu.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
that moray game on secrets is BULLSHIT

I can destroy the sub game (level 1) everytime but I've never made it past that asshole middle moray

Brashnir

wait, this is out?

I've been playing so much Minecraft I didn't even realize it got released. Guess I need to fire up the old Xbox and pick it up.

catfish said:
that moray game on secrets is BULLSHIT

I can destroy the sub game (level 1) everytime but I've never made it past that asshole middle moray
You're probably going forward too soon. It's the same pattern every time.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Parallax Scroll said:
You're probably going forward too soon. It's the same pattern every time.
yeah but I seem to get munched by the jerk at the start if I wait. I dunno mental block. does that thing timeout or can I sit/wait to learn the pattern?

I purchased the core pack and never played FX, should I pick up other tables or just keep with the core pack?

catfish said:
yeah but I seem to get munched by the jerk at the start if I wait. I dunno mental block. does that thing timeout or can I sit/wait to learn the pattern?
Wait till the first 2 spots are open, then run to the middle.

catfish said:
I purchased the core pack and never played FX, should I pick up other tables or just keep with the core pack?
For $2.50 a table, why not?

web01

Yeah thats the great thing about virtual pinball, it is significantly cheaper than paying to play a real machine.

Finally got a decent score on Secrets (43mil), I think you've missed me on your list(not that it makes much of a difference) Parallax, my GT is AJ4Seven.

Does anyone know how you trigger the Brain upgrade on Biolab? I know you can get the mini-game via the monster(hitting the spinning "TV's") but I'm sure I've got it twice in a single game & I never fully upgraded my monster, so it couldn't be that.

MattyH

well i picked up the last 2 dlc tables (excalabur and Earth Defence) i think its the only time ive actually picked up ms points for a second time in a week just for dlc
great tables and a damn fine game

acm2000

"Zen Studios have announced on their forums that the PS3 Zen Pinball tables 'Mars' and 'Paranormal' are making their way to PFX2 soon! "

Phreaker

Shig said:
Yeah, the default settngs for starting matches are pretty stupid, tens and twenties of millions. They make for long games, and the longer the game, the more likely someone's gonna bow out, especially if they're novices who aren't seeing their numbers going anywhere near the target after a bit.

I go to custom settings and set 5 minutes, 25% penalty. Have had some close and fun games with that.

Thank you sir, I shall try that!

turnbuckle

komarkaze said:
My tag is komakaze. I have the tables from the first game. Which of the new tables are recommended to buy?

$2.50 a table? Just get em all. (New to the game myself and that's what I did, so I'm not even sure what was old or new :p ).

If only they had the LOTR pinball table I used to spend at least $10 a week on. I miss that game, and the only one I know of anymore is at a laundromat and has the table tilted so much that you have to pull the plunger all the way back just to barely get the ball in play.

turnbuckle said:
$2.50 a table? Just get em all. (New to the game myself and that's what I did, so I'm not even sure what was old or new :p ).

If only they had the LOTR pinball table I used to spend at least $10 a week on. I miss that game, and the only one I know of anymore is at a laundromat and has the table tilted so much that you have to pull the plunger all the way back just to barely get the ball in play.
Sounds like a good time. You ever try hitting/kicking the plunger instead of pulling it back?

mclem

Finally got around to picking up the core pack. Unsurprisingly, I'm nowhere near any of you, but I'm starting to get an understanding of the tables together.

Petrae

turnbuckle said:
This Extreme board is awful.

Speed Machine is worse, in my book. The multiball makes no sense (in either one, actually) and the table design is just... boring. The table objectives have no real direction, and there's no real excitement to be had.

It's obvious that ZEN has improved with their table designs since the FX1 Core set. Really liking Pasha and Biolab, and starting to like Excalibur more and more.

see5harp

Parallax Scroll said:
Holy shit, I'm ranked #2 in the world on Secrets of the Deep.

I logged on today thinking it would suck having to try and one up you again but I think that might just be the nail in the coffin.

Petrae

Dash Kappei said:

Not to steal Parallax Scroll's thunder, but if I may...

Pinball Hall of Fame (PHOF) still has the best ball physics out there. ZEN is improving-- especially here with Pinball FX2-- but PHOF feels more natural. The ball seems to have the right weight coming off of the flippers and the ball reactions are what you'd expect.

I have played ZEN Pinball on the PS3, and it's an improvement over Pinball FX, but not quite the improvement that FX2 is. If the PS3 is your only console option, I would consider it for download.

Top Bottom