• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork.com: The Top 50 Albums of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

I AM JOHN! said:
Search: "Jeff the Brotherhood" -> Not found.

Pitchfork. :|

Hahaha...Dude they didn't even review any of their records, so of course it wouldn't make their top 50...In fact I can't find any publication that has even heard of these guys. I just watched one of their videos on youtube, and it sounds like mostly forgettable "college/indie-rock" from the 90s.

Suzaku

Shurs said:
Just sayin'.

Well whatever, we can play wikihunt all day to argue the semantics of what makes and EP an EP, but if you want to be stubborn and insist EPs are albums I'm not going to argue with you anymore.

Shurs

Suzaku said:
Well whatever, we can play wikihunt all day to argue the semantics of what makes and EP an EP. But if you want to be stubborn and insist EPs are albums I'm not going to argue with you anymore.

You were the one coming into the thread acting like you were onto something.

I showed that you were wrong.

Run along.

Shurs

HiResDes said:
Agreed. It's close though, I think Gila puts Devotion over the edge.

Yeah, I enjoy all of their albums.

For me it's Devotion's opening and closing songs that "make" the album for me.

HiResDes

I think people are underestimating how good this year has been...If Twin Sister's Color Your Life had been longer I think it would have been nearly as good as Teen Dream with a similar sound. Same with Tamaryn's The Waves, which in all honesty I think is just as good though it only features like eight tracks.

winter

I admit I haven't really read this thread. Every year it's the same shit:

"Hey, I haven't heard of any of these artists. They must not be important. Where the fuck is my shitty Muse album or [insert favorite power metal garbage]. :lol SILLY HIPSTERSSS!!!"

Anyway, this list looks pretty good. And to the people who always claim that p4k is some silly site on the fringe of musical tastes, check out Time magazine's top ten. It's fairly similar.

HiResDes said:
Hahaha...Dude they didn't even review any of their records, so of course it wouldn't make their top 50...In fact I can't find any publication that has even heard of these guys. I just watched one of their videos on youtube, and it sounds like mostly forgettable "college/indie-rock" from the 90s.
I'm just saying. Heavy Days is a really good goddamn album. It's on my short list of my favorite stuff from this year. If super stripped-down lo-fi ain't your thing then I could understand not getting into them, but considering all the love Pitchfork gives bullshit like No Age, it baffles me that they just straight up ignored these guys. But then again, that's just Pitchfork being Pitchfork, I guess.

Although I do kind of like No Age.

Shurs

HiResDes said:
I think people are underestimating how good this year has been...If Twin Sister's Color Your Life had been longer I think it would have been nearly as good as Teen Dream with a similar sound. Same with Tamaryn's The Waves, which in all honesty I think is just as good though it only features like eight tracks.

'Twas a disappointing year for me. While there are a bunch of albums I liked, there was nothing that I loved as much as some albums from last year.

Though, I think that's probably on me, as I swayed away from music a bit in 2010, spending a lot of time writing about video games, and even more time playing them.

Looking forward to 2011.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
swoon said:
it is sad that this thread will be larger and more diverse than either best music of 2010 thread or the monthly listening threads.

if you can make a list of 50 albums, you should do so and not just post 3 albums and say the year sucked.

make lists, participate in creating.

Just felt like reiterating this. The year-end thread here couldn't generate even half the posts this one has and almost no discussion, which makes me sad: there have been people with very similar lists in the other topic and no one bats an eye; Pitchfork puts it up, and suddenly everybody has an opinion or complaint to make. :\

I AM JOHN! said:
I'm just saying. Heavy Days is a really good goddamn album. It's on my short list of my favorite stuff from this year. If super stripped-down lo-fi ain't your thing then I could understand not getting into them, but considering all the love Pitchfork gives bullshit like No Age, it baffles me that they just straight up ignored these guys. But then again, that's just Pitchfork being Pitchfork, I guess.

Although I do kind of like No Age.

i'm with you man, Heavy Days is a reall great album, i mean The Tropics alone is one of my favorite tracks of the year. however i'm not so sure i'd compare it to someone like No Age but regardless, it's a totally rad album

HiResDes

Cosmic Bus said:
Just felt like reiterating this. The year-end thread here couldn't generate even half the posts this one has and almost no discussion, which makes me sad: there have been people with very similar lists in the other topic and no one bats an eye; Pitchfork puts it up, and suddenly everybody has an opinion or complaint to make. :\

This is true...But that's mostly because their are a lot of people that seem to froth at the mouth when they seen the title Pitchfork

ATF487

Cosmic Bus said:

On another forum we do the festive fifty, which could be something that would work here to get some more interaction. Make a top 10, tally the votes (with higher placement yielding more points) and then make a podcast with the results with some discussion.

Usually it's done with songs but you could probably do it for albums too, and just play one of the better songs from the album

Beezy

Shurs said:
In your world, maybe.

Just because you hadn't heard of her doesn't mean that she's a "new artist."

She was nominated for a Grammy for a song on her first album.

Yes, EPs are albums.
What are you talking about? I said I already knew about her EP. I've known about her for years now.

Shurs

ATF487 said:
On another forum we do the festive fifty, which could be something that would work here to get some more interaction. Make a top 10, tally the votes (with higher placement yielding more points) and then make a podcast with the results with some discussion.

Usually it's done with songs but you could probably do it for albums too, and just play one of the better songs from the album

Atease?

HiResDes

ATF487 said:

I'm doing something similar with the Gaf-Hop Roundup thread.

ATF487

Shurs said:

Word, I think it turned out well. Would be a bigger undertaking here I think

HiResDes said:
I'm doing something similar with the Gaf-Hop Roundup thread.

Ah, cool. I haven't even entered that thread because I spent the this year discovering hip hop classics, I think I've heard maybe 5 rap/hip hop albums from this year..

Beezy

Shurs said:
Then why did you call her a new artist?
Because in "my world" this is her first album and the first time that most people have seriously paid attention to her. If I mention her by name now, people know who I'm talking about. That wasn't the case earlier this year before The ArchAndroid came out.

Shurs

Beezy said:
Because in "my world" this is her first album and the first time that most people have seriously paid attention to her. If I mention her by name now, people know who I'm talking about. That wasn't the case earlier this year before The ArchAndroid came out.

Okay.

Sweedishrodeo said:
i thought you were stealth trolling, bc prefuse burned out quick, and blake is an offshoot of burial's ground breaking work no matter how you cut it.

"Overkill Choir" was off his most recent EP, so I wouldn't really describe him as "burn[ing] out quick," but that's just my personal opinion. You can't release the best song 2009 and be burned out creatively.

;D

ATF487 said:

my only problem with these when it comes to music is that if you're not voting for the most popular stuff your points are usually irrelevant lol

there's so much more music than games or movies say.

Cosmic Bus said:

the bigger this thread gets and the more consistent it's on the top of the page the more likely everyone's going to have opinion. i think arguing about 1 specific list is more appealing than popping in a thread, posting a list, and then leaving as well lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:

I think that's because the year end thread is just people posting lists and album covers ie, entirely content free posts. If people posted opinions there would be more to talk about, but most of the time it's 'just here are some covers bye bye'.

theBishop

Banned
Scythian Empire said:
No Warpaint, Yeasayer or Sun Kil Moon?

Wow Pitchfork... Just wow.

I don't understand all this tremendous love for Burial. I find most of his stuff is pretty generic, and house artists in the 90's did a much better job. It's nothing new, it's been around for ages.

They gave Yeasayer a 6.1. I wouldn't expect that to make the cut.

theBishop

Banned
Fusebox said:
Kanye over Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend.... :(
Blech. I was disappointed that Kanye got the top spot, but neither of those deserve top 10 in my opinion.

My Favorites:
- LCD Soundsystem
- Beach House
- Joanna Newsom
- Flying Lotus
- Liars
- Deerhunter
- No Age
- Ariel Pink
- Big Boi

Sullen

A solid list, but LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening is a better album than My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Othewise I don't really have any complaints about it.

side note, there are a lot of tasteless ignorant morons in this thread isn't there? :lol I love it when people get defensive about not knowing shit. "I HAVENT HEARD OF THAT, CLEARLY IT CANT MEAN ANYTHING IMPORTANT!" I'll never understand being willfully ignorant.

Fusebox said:
Kanye over Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend.... :(

Kanye wipes his ass with their CD booklets.

Oh, and someone do a festive 50! It works great on atease.
Don't even have to do a podcast, just compile a list of "GAF's favorite 2010 albums"

It will probably turn out very similar to the P4K list.

Flynn

Cosmic Bus said:

Pitchfork is part of the hipster continuum -- things that angry people can prop up as punching bags rather and immediately dismiss rather than taking the time to actually engage, absorb and think about. Pitchfork takes a tiny bit of the blame for catering to people who like short cuts with numerical review scores.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Whenever I see the annual Pitchfork list, each time I always recognize fewer and fewer bands on it, and it always makes me realize that I'm getting old :lol It's a bad feeling, makes me remember when I used to track down everything new that popped up. Now I just listen to ambient krautrock and sip my weak tea :lol :lol :lol

HiResDes

Fusebox said:
Not surprising, I'd probably be resentful of genuinely talented musicians too if I were him.

He's one of the top five best producers in hip-hop/rap right now, and easily one of the top ten greatest of all-time.

AkuMifune

Banned
Seems like a pretty good list to me, though I get more riled up over game and movie lists.

Need to check out a bunch of these albums now.

Xater

Witchfinder General said:
Eh, I'm clearly not Pitchfork's demographic.

Neither am I as it seems. I still found some time and went through the list and found "Kylesa - Spiral Shadow". That sounds great and I'll probably get it.

Hmm, I'm familiar with 3 out of 50 of these. Though I have probably gotten old and have given up on 'new' music for quite some time now.

blame space said:
bro, kanye west is a genuinely talented musician
Everyone in GAF-HOP knows I'm not a fan of Conway West, but people saying he's not talented is retarded. His latest album "My Dark Chocolate Nubian Bald Headed Goddess Fantasy"(Forgot what it was called)Must of been hell to mix. The work he put into that album was insane. To bad the album suck.....

kottila

Xater said:
Neither am I as it seems. I still found some time and went through the list and found "Kylesa - Spiral Shadow". That sounds great and I'll probably get it.

You should try Kvelertak - Kvelertak. A sort of mixture of rock'n roll, punk and metal. Best rock album I've heard in a long time. The lyrics are in norwegian, but you won't hear what he's singing anyway, so it really dosen't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__g2_uMUd8

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
joelseph said:
I wasn't blown away by North either but I think it was because it was so hyped. Aidy's Girl a Computer will always be good though.

Yeah, same here... took a listen to North and was just like "that's it? What's the big deal?". Aidy's Girl Is A Computer is a great song though, by far the best on the album.

Looked at their top 100 singles of the year. Was nice to see Lindstrom and Tensnake's remix of "Reckless With Your Love" (surprised that that made it but no Coma Cat) on there.

Flynn

Here's sound scan data for their top fifty so you can see just how obscure (and underappreciated) some of these records are.

50 Wavves – King of the Beach (18,563)
49 Wild Nothing – Gemini (8,773)
44 Kylesa – Spiral Shadow (7,778)
43 Tame Impala – Innerspeaker (15,101)
42 Drake – Thank Me Later (1,219,473)
39 Best Coast – Crazy For You (48,296)
38 Rick Ross – Teflon Don (541,299)
35 Gorillaz – Plastic Beach (385,454)
34 Crystal Castles – Crystal Castles (39,368)
33 The Tallest Man on Earth – The Wild Hunt (35,524)
29 The Fresh & Onlys – Play It Strange (3,633)
28 The National – High Violet (211,615)
27 Four Tet – There Is Love in You (22,228)
26 Twin Shadow – Forget (10,985)
25 Sufjan Stevens – The Age of Adz (100,405)
24 Hot Chip – One Life Stand (~30k)
22 Girls – Broken Dreams Club EP (10,266)
21 The Walkmen – Lisbon (39,159)
18 Erykah Badu – New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh (~300k)
17 Caribou – Swim (33,803)
16 Sleigh Bells – Treats (94,478)
15 Robyn – Body Talk (23,869)
14 Flying Lotus – Cosmogramma (33,574)
13 No Age – Everything In Between (13,802)
12 Janelle Monae – The ArchAndroid (129,152)
11 Arcade Fire – The Suburbs (459,083)
10 Titus Andronicus – The Monitor (26,090)
09 Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Before Today (25,942)
08 James Blake – The Bells Sketch EP / CMYK EP / Klavierwerke EP (511/4,091/na)
07 Joanna Newsom – Have One on Me (48,754)
06 Vampire Weekend – Contra (454,914)
05 Beach House – Teen Dream (104,217)
04 Big Boi – Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty (208,747)
03 Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest (59,879)
02 LCD Soundsystem – This Is Happening (126,288)
01 Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (915,391)

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom