• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork.com: The Top 50 Albums of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumPog

Neo Member
JeTmAn81 said:
Differences of opinion will always exist when it comes to subjective art, so I don't really care whether or not anyone else likes Muse. I love that band just as I love many other bands (Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Outkast, etc.). What annoys me is that the bands I'm into are nowhere near new. They all tend to be at least 10+ years old, even if they came into their full creativity more recently.

I'm a musician, and the prospect of becoming that guy who only likes old music kinda scares me. I always told myself I'd keep up with music as it changed, though I decided never to approve of something just because it was new.

edit: On first listen, I thought The Resistance was Muse's worst album, but I started to like it a lot more on repeat listens.

I read a Muse article just not so long ago (http://sputnikmusic.com/blog/?p=4872).

see5harp

Cosmic Bus said:
I generally find that trying to be so all-encompassing when it comes to music styles is more of a hindrance than a help (which is why Pitchfork is smart to mostly choose albums with maximum crossover appeal for their readership) but NPR does a really great job keeping things evenly covered, and even I manage to find hidden gems there that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Same here, people want Pitchfork to be everything to everyone. NPR has great lists too, but they tend to skew accessible. You have to admit that someone who has never heard of Deerhunter or Beach House is going to feel pretty lost at NPR as well.

Flynn

Cosmic Bus said:
Some of you might find NPR's coverage of interest: overall top 50, staff lists, reader picks, genre lists, overlooked albums... All of which contain nearly every band mentioned in this thread as "forgotten" or "without ___ this is crap!"

I generally find that trying to be so all-encompassing when it comes to music styles is more of a hindrance than a help (which is why Pitchfork is smart to mostly choose albums with maximum crossover appeal for their readership) but NPR does a really great job keeping things evenly covered, and even I manage to find hidden gems there that I wouldn't have otherwise.

That's always been my biggest gripe with NPR / The Current -- the old public television / radio ethos is to present art that might be deemed challenging or non-commercial, such as classical music and Shakespeare plays. But they have a hard time identifying that stuff in contemporary music and go, rather, for pablum. They're trying though. They streamed that new Agalloch album. I'd say USBM is super challenging.

HiResDes

As as a side note,I was just listening to Corinne Bailey Rae's The Sea and I think it might be the most under appreciated album to have been released this year. I think find it to be every bit as compelling as The Archandroid, as they are both able to capture these ambitious, sweeping themes....I only bring it up because it's an album that was missing from pretty much everyone's list.

theBishop

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
Some of you might find NPR's coverage of interest: overall top 50, staff lists, reader picks, genre lists, overlooked albums... All of which contain nearly every band mentioned in this thread as "forgotten" or "without ___ this is crap!"

I try to listen to everything, so I can't say I agree. The only genre I'd say I don't like is metal, and I still like Sabbath, Boris, Lightning Bolt, Mastodon, Black Dice and others.

Flynn

theBishop said:
I try to listen to everything, so I can't say I agree. The only genre I'd say I don't like is metal, and I still like Sabbath, Boris, Lightning Bolt, Mastodon, Black Dice and others.

Sounds like you just need to get turned on to other good metal.

theBishop

Banned
Flynn said:
Sounds like you just need to get turned on to other good metal.

Every metal fan tells me that. And then recommends some ridiculous shit that I hate. Don't even try to link me to Opeth, The Sword, DragonForce, Dream Theater, or anything with Norwegian characters. I've already rejected it.

see5harp

theBishop said:
Every metal fan tells me that. And then recommends some ridiculous shit that I hate. Don't even try to link me to Opeth, The Sword, DragonForce, Dream Theater, or anything with Norwegian characters. I've already rejected it.

But tell me have you heard Throbbing Gristle? They are a metal band who have sworn their lives to the dark Norse God and have not seen daylight for years.

Dali

How the hell does Rick Ross make the list for a lump of shit you pay for, but JCole gets no mention for a gem that's given away freely?

... and Kanye number one? You can tell he's playing to Pitchfork, but I didn't think they'd actually fall for it.

HiResDes

theBishop said:

Kayo Dot is the latest metal release that I've liked, but it's more post-rock than metal maybe. Oh and White Moth, but that's also mostly post-rock.

Flynn

theBishop said:

haha Black metal is certainly advanced.

Check out Electric Wizard. I think you're ripe for some good stoner metal to start.

EDIT: BTW, not crazy about Opeth, Dream Theater etc. But its not hard to launch off the bands you like and find more great stuff:

Mastodon -> Kylesa, Torche, Baroness
Boris -> Melvins, Earth
Sabbath -> Electric Wizard, Venom, St. Vitus
Lightning Bolt -> Orthrelm

theBishop said:
Who the balls likes DragonForce? Seriously, if you know the address of the person who recommended them, go and have a humming turd on their doorstep. For me.

Also, if you like Sabbath, try Dio, if you haven't already.

theBishop

Banned
see5harp said:
But tell me have you heard Throbbing Gristle? They are a metal band who have sworn their lives to the dark Norse God and have not seen daylight for years.

Contrary to every other genre I'm aware of, the components which make metal "good" to fans of the genre I find repulsive. And I like some pretty bleak, heavy music, so keep your 'pussy' comments to yourself. :)

SumPog

Neo Member
theBishop said:

Opeth and Dream Theater are amazing, wtf. Dragonforce are one of the worst bands out in the Metal/Power Metal scene and The Sword aren't nothing to ejaculate to. I say this one word and one word only: Tool.

SumPog

Neo Member
HiResDes said:
Kayo Dot is the latest metal release that I've liked, but it's more post-rock than metal maybe. Oh and White Moth, but that's also mostly post-rock.

Kayo Dot, Maudlin of the Well and Toby Driver are all generally considered progressive, not post rock. There is a sub-genre called Post Metal though which features bands like Rosetta and Isis though.

theBishop

Banned
Green Scar said:
Who the balls likes DragonForce? Seriously, if you know the address of the person who recommended them, go and have a humming turd on their doorstep. For me.

Also, if you like Sabbath, try Dio, if you haven't already.

Yep, heard Dio. Funny more than good. I like the dark bluesy Sabbath stuff, which as far as I know Dio didn't fuck with.

theBishop

Banned
SumPog said:
Opeth and Dream Theater are amazing, wtf. Dragonforce are one of the worst bands out in the Metal/Power Metal scene and The Sword aren't nothing to ejaculate to. I say this one word and one word only: Tool.

After the list I rattled off, you think I haven't heard Tool?

modernkicks said:
I probably can't name a "better" one, but I really could care less about these lists anymore. The access to crazy amounts of music at the click of a button have kinda made these lists meaningless today. Music trends cycle insanely fast today and most of this stuff will be forgotten in no time. Pitchfork just acts as an "idiots guide to downloading" with their best new music. Does anyone actually read their awful, waaaay too long reviews anymore? The only thing this list tells me is that this year was, for the most part, pretty unmemorable.

word.. agreed with everything you said.

its always amusing to see how people need their tastes validated by this website

YES AN ALBUM I LIKED MADE THE TOP 50 IM DOING SOMETHING RIGHT

see5harp

theBishop said:
Contrary to every other genre I'm aware of, the components which make metal "good" to fans of the genre I find repulsive. And I like some pretty bleak, heavy music, so keep your 'pussy' comments to yourself. :)

I actually find myself feeling the same way as you about a lot of non instrumental metal. I'm down for some hardcore and punk rock but metal just goes over my head. I like drone and minimal music though, and there are "metal" bands like Sunn that appeal to me in that way. I don't even fully appreciate Mastodon or Boris and I've seen both of them live. We're off topic though.

HiResDes

brianjones said:
word.. agreed with everything you said.

its always amusing to see how people need their tastes validated by this website

YES AN ALBUM I LIKED MADE THE TOP 50 IM DOING SOMETHING RIGHT
I don't think you really get the point of the list...I've found countless good bands by reading the descriptions of various bands in the top 50 over the couple of years. I distinctly remember listening to Hercules and the Love Affair and Abe Vigoda's Skeleton after striking interest from reading their reviews. It can help some people. If you're above pitchfork and their silly list, then don't even bother coming in here.

SumPog

Neo Member
theBishop said:
After the list I rattled off, you think I haven't heard Tool?

Everyone has heard Tool, they are phenomenal. I wasn't recommending them to you, simply implying how good they are in the metal scene.

theBishop

Banned
see5harp said:
I actually find myself feeling the same way as you about a lot of non instrumental metal. I'm down for some hardcore and punk rock but metal just goes over my head. I like drone and minimal music though, and there are "metal" bands like Sunn that appeal to me in that way. I don't even fully appreciate Mastodon or Boris and I've seen both of them live. We're off topic though.

Yeah, I think we're on the same page. I like Sunn too. Even Slayer can be good when they hit on some punk rhythms. But the essence of what's considered "good" metal seems to be 70's progressive rock just completely run off the rails. Masturbatory guitar solos just because, rhythms that would look you're kidding if you programmed them into a drum machine, complete nonsense for lyrics, etc. If the whole thing is meant to be ironic, I'm happy to laugh along, but most people seem to be taking it seriously.

theBishop

Banned
SumPog said:
Everyone has heard Tool, they are phenomenal. I wasn't recommending them to you, simply implying how good they are in the metal scene.

Eh. I don't consider them very good. Double-not-good for anything after Aenema.

joelseph

Flynn said:
That's always been my biggest gripe with NPR / The Current -- the old public television / radio ethos is to present art that might be deemed challenging or non-commercial, such as classical music and Shakespeare plays. But they have a hard time identifying that stuff in contemporary music and go, rather, for pablum. They're trying though. They streamed that new Agalloch album. I'd say USBM is super challenging.

But NPR is practically in bed with Pitchfork, Rupture and Shadetek yeah?

Cosmic Bus said:

Thanks for this!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It was a pleasant surprise to see Teen Dream high on the list, especially considering it released so early in the year.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
theBishop said:
It's maybe not metal per se, but with that heavier stuff you're into, go dig up some of the old early 90s Am/Rep type stuff. Jesus Lizard, Helmet, Hammerhead, Prong, etc. That's my favorite type of "heavy" music.

Mutagenic said:
It was a pleasant surprise to see Teen Dream high on the list, especially considering it released so early in the year.

Shame Contra managed to stay so high even though it came out in January. You'd think people would realise it sucks by now.

HiResDes

butter_stick said:
Shame Contra managed to stay so high even though it came out in January. You'd think people would realise it sucks by now.
I think I like the Vampire Weekend ripoffs Ra Ra Riot better, although I'm not absolutely crazy about either of them.

Good Lord I hate GAF sometimes, you people can be dumb:
MrBig said:
I listened to the top 10. They were all absolutely horrible.

Anyways... I still can't believe Gold Panda isn't on this list... That album is unbelievably great. Most of their Honorable Mentions are better than many of the albums on their actual list...

ATF487

AvidNobody said:
Anyways... I still can't believe Gold Panda isn't on this list... That album is unbelievably great. Most of their Honorable Mentions are better than many of the albums on their actual list...

Grinderman :(

theBishop

Banned
Lambtron said:
It's maybe not metal per se, but with that heavier stuff you're into, go dig up some of the old early 90s Am/Rep type stuff. Jesus Lizard, Helmet, Hammerhead, Prong, etc. That's my favorite type of "heavy" music.

I like Jesus Lizard and Helmet. Don't know the others.

Also, if not for Helmet, we wouldn't have Battles, who are fucking amazing.

FairyD

Dali said:
How the hell does Rick Ross make the list for a lump of shit you pay for, but JCole gets no mention for a gem that's given away freely?

... and Kanye number one? You can tell he's playing to Pitchfork, but I didn't think they'd actually fall for it.

Could be that pitchfork only considers full retail albums rather than mix tapes.

J.Cole, who should be on the list, to my knowledge only released mix tapes this year.

theBishop

Banned
DrBo42 said:
High Violet should have been in the top 10. I am disappoint.

I was a big fan of Boxer, and I do like High Violet, but there are times on the new record where he almost breaks the mope-o-meter. More rock next time, please.

Kusagari

theBishop said:
I was a big fan of Boxer, and I do like High Violet, but there are times on the new record where he almost breaks the mope-o-meter. More rock next time, please.

This is why I can't stand High Violet. One of the things I always liked about The National was they could take songs which were really depressing when you looked at the lyrics and make them sound upbeat. On High Violet the songs aren't only lyrically depressing they're musically depressing and it just bored me to be frank.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
theBishop said:
I like Jesus Lizard and Helmet. Don't know the others.

Also, if not for Helmet, we wouldn't have Battles, who are fucking amazing.
Hammerhead hold a special place in my heart because they are from my hometown. There's some videos of them playing CBGB in the early 90s on YouTube. Prong is pretty similar but I am not into them as much aa the others. I love that sludgy heavy sound.

PS: Teflon Don is better than any other rap album in the top 50.

big ander

Kusagari said:
This is why I can't stand High Violet. One of the things I always liked about The National was they could take songs which were really depressing when you looked at the lyrics and make them sound upbeat. On High Violet the songs aren't only lyrically depressing they're musically depressing and it just bored me to be frank.
I felt High Violet had some upbeat-ish songs. England is a fun song.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
HiResDes said:
Yeah I don't think so at all, there are about 20 other bands that sound exactly like Best Coast, but better.
pfft, those bands wish they could write up songs about weed and cats.

Cohsae said:
Will she make a whiny album about that as well?
I don't like Best Coast. Not one bit.
the only one jealous will be wavves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom