• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork.com: The Top 50 Albums of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

X26

Banned
I like these lists because they're a way to listen to new stuff, but the songs you can preview in the feature all sound so boring, which of the lesser known bands on the list actually make music that doesn't put you to sleep?

HiResDes

X26 said:
I like these lists because they're a way to listen to new stuff, but the songs you can preview in the feature all sound so boring, which of the lesser known bands on the list actually make music that doesn't put you to sleep?
Before I attempt to recommend you something, give me a few of your favorite bands.

Juice

I have to say I was skeptical that Age of Adz would be any good, but it's really grown on me. I still don't get Pitchfork's fascination with Kanye. Ugh.

HiResDes

Juice said:
I have to say I was skeptical that Age of Adz would be any good, but it's really grown on me. I still don't get Pitchfork's fascination with Kanye. Ugh.
They aren't the only ones that gave Kanye a number one spot people.

Cohsae

blame space said:
did someone actually suggest that "Bombs Over Baghdad" was actually chosen as the song of the decade ironically?
I thought their song of the decade was All My Friends? Guess it was #2
I HAVE BEEN LIVING A LIE

Cyan

Banned
Weird. Not only do I have two of the albums on the list, I actually thought one of them was pretty good. Huh.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Don't really care about a lot of the albums on that list (that I've heard) apart from kylesa, deerhunter, arcade fire, flying lotus etc. Also I'm surprised that vampire weekend is so high, i don't like the band at all. (based on that CD) but i never heard much buzz for that CD compared to their last one.

HiResDes said:
Oh you like Muse, nevermind...You probably won't like most of the stuff on that list then.
No offense nor directed to the poster above. But I've always found it amusing that every muse fan I've known on the internet seems to be incredibly narrow-minded when it comes to music.:lol

Yeah w/e.>_>

Some of you might find NPR's coverage of interest: overall top 50, staff lists, reader picks, genre lists, overlooked albums... All of which contain nearly every band mentioned in this thread as "forgotten" or "without ___ this is crap!"
I really like the way they organize their lists compared to pitchfork, I'll haft to give a look at some of the bands or artists I haven't heard of there.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Vox-Pop said:
pfft, those bands wish they could write up songs about weed and cats.
I'm pretty sure basically every new band only writes songs about weed and cats. Just listen to The Intelligence instead.

HiResDes

Lafiel said:
No offense nor directed to the poster above. But I've always found it amusing that every muse fan I've known on the internet seems to be incredibly narrow-minded when it comes to music.:lol

Stealth pun? :lol

icarus-daedelus said:
I think I prefer AllMusic as a website over Pitchfork.

when i first started getting more "seriously" into music allmusic was like my bible

pitchfork seems a lot more narrow minded in comparison.. entry level hipster core

i think even without reading the reviews it's more useful with its similar artists and influences lists.

Wool

matt404au said:
As much as I love Sufjan, The Age of Adz is utter garbage.

I agree completely, I listen to Sufjan practically everyday, but I don't think I like a single song on The Age of Adz. He should have stuck with the states theme :lol

Cohsae

icarus-daedelus said:
Jesus, I just listened to this on youtube, for the hell of it. What the fuck was that? Just under three minutes of awful wailing by a twelve-year-old plinking on a piano, I think.
She usually plinks on a harp. It's part of her "whimsical charm" or something.
Pity she sounds horrible.

Fixed for accuracy.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Rash said:
I can understand if the music doesn't resonate with you, but 50 albums is a lot. Saying that Arcade Fire doesn't deserve to be on the list at all is a bit much.

i can understand when music doesn't resonate. af was founded on a philosophy, which is what made funeral invincible. they have reneged on that initial proposition which is disgusting to me given their demonstrated songsmith might.

what i really don't understand is when someone defends the value of art in the context of accolades. i could give a shit either way about a grammy, or this list. awarding achievement is natural, so please don't tell me to take it easy because they are successful. my highlight this year is kanye, and he blew af out of here, artistically and in sales.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Why wouldn't I be? "CMYK" is 2010's "Overkill Choir".

i thought you were stealth trolling, bc prefuse burned out quick, and blake is an offshoot of burial's ground breaking work no matter how you cut it.

theBishop said:
The hiphop kingpins of 2000-2010 are Fishscale and Madvillainy. If anyone can prove me wrong, that would be a great day indeed.

madvillainy can't be messed with, but bulletproof wallets, pretty toney, and supreme clientele were all far superior to fishscale, lyrically and conceptually. not to mention the blueprint, kanye's solo albums, all this new odd future wolfgang kill em all shit, and quasimoto albums, speaking of madlib, were all killer. and i know i left some shit out.

check your head.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Without reading the list, every Pitchfork top 50 list has been the same for years. Mostly lo fi and post rock acts nobody has heard of (save for "important" bands like Animal Collective or Arcade fire) with Rap/R&B acts that everyone has heard of, even those who don't listen to either genre. Lets see if I'm right............

Edit: yep.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
your elementary generalization is even dumber than the actual list, somehow. good job.

maybe next time they will pick still photos instead of albums. maybe weather patterns.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Sweedishrodeo said:
your elementary generalization is even dumber than the actual list, somehow. good job.

maybe next time they will pick still photos instead of albums. maybe weather patterns.

:lol
hemadl.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
truly101 said:
Without reading the list, every Pitchfork top 50 list has been the same for years. Mostly lo fi and post rock acts nobody has heard of (save for "important" bands like Animal Collective or Arcade fire) with Rap/R&B acts that everyone has heard of, even those who don't listen to either genre. Lets see if I'm right............

Edit: yep.
I'm not so sure about lo-fi but there's barely any post-rock on that Top 50 list. Or most pitchfork end-of-the-year lists for that matter. (as far as i can recall).

Sweedishrodeo said:
i thought you were stealth trolling, bc prefuse burned out quick, and blake is an offshoot of burial's ground breaking work no matter how you cut it.
I love Burial as much as the next guy, but come on. :lol

It's not like he invented dubstep.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Shake Appeal said:
I love Burial as much as the next guy, but come on. :lol

It's not like he invented dubstep.

if you think burial or james blake are dubstep then this is lost on you. inspired by, yes. but it's beyond dubstep, minimal, or garage. far, far beyond.

Dali

FairyD said:
Could be that pitchfork only considers full retail albums rather than mix tapes.

J.Cole, who should be on the list, to my knowledge only released mix tapes this year.
Negative. I remember one year Wale's "Mixtape About Nothing" was on the list. When they were doing their checklist for things to make sure the final list has they blew it on the "hip hop cred" [read: "we have diverse listening tastes, please believe us!"] item, simple as that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
SilentProtagonist said:
I like how seeing a list of bands that people haven't heard of upsets them.
GAF is not so good with list, me included, expect knee-jerk reactions.

dcdobson

I honestly don't understand why the new Kanye album's getting so much love. It isn't terrible, but I'd argue that it's far from his best work.

HiResDes

SilentProtagonist said:
I like how seeing a list of bands that people haven't heard of upsets them.

You know what I never thought about how funny it actually it is...This year I've actually listened to at least one song from just about album up there, but other years when I'd see something I hadn't heard of I would get excited.

DrBo42

theBishop said:
I was a big fan of Boxer, and I do like High Violet, but there are times on the new record where he almost breaks the mope-o-meter. More rock next time, please.
Mope-O-Meter made me :lol . I definitely get what you're saying but I love me some sad bastard music.

Eric WK

Lafiel said:
I'm not so sure about lo-fi but there's barely any post-rock on that Top 50 list. Or most pitchfork end-of-the-year lists for that matter. (as far as i can recall).

Yeah, he doesn't really know what he's talking about but if his reaction to the other guy calling him out on it is any indication, further calling out is probably futile.

kingocfs

icarus-daedelus said:
Jesus, I just listened to this on youtube, for the hell of it. What the fuck was that? Just under three minutes of awful wailing by a twelve-year-old plinking on a piano, I think.

I think I prefer AllMusic as a website over Pitchfork. I almost never even remotely agree with anything the latter prints, it's crazy.
The Joanna hate is disappointing.

No Warpaint, Yeasayer or Sun Kil Moon?

Wow Pitchfork... Just wow.

Sweedishrodeo said:
if you think burial or james blake are dubstep then this is lost on you. inspired by, yes. but it's beyond dubstep, minimal, or garage. far, far beyond.

I don't understand all this tremendous love for Burial. I find most of his stuff is pretty generic, and house artists in the 90's did a much better job. It's nothing new, it's been around for ages.

see5harp

Hwasong said:

I understand if you're just jumping in now because a triple album isn't quite accessible for casual music fans. I started with milk eyed mender, saw her perform live that year and have grown to appreciate her more complex songs. Sometimes I wish she would return to more of those simple doe eyed charmers though.

Shurs

Beezy said:
I know, that doesn't count as an album though.

In your world, maybe.

Just because you hadn't heard of her doesn't mean that she's a "new artist."

She was nominated for a Grammy for a song on her first album.

Yes, EPs are albums.

Suzaku

Shurs said:
In your world, maybe.

Just because you hadn't heard of her doesn't mean that she's a "new artist."

She was nominated for a Grammy for a song on her first album.

Yes, EPs are albums.

Dude you are living in your own dream world, EPs by definition are not albums.

An EP (short for extended play) is a musical recording which contains more music than a single, but is too short to qualify as a full album or LP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_play

FairyD

Dali said:
Negative. I remember one year Wale's "Mixtape About Nothing" was on the list. When they were doing their checklist for things to make sure the final list has they blew it on the "hip hop cred" [read: "we have diverse listening tastes, please believe us!"] item, simple as that.

Well in that case fuck Pitch Fork.

On a side note how long have they've been around and why are they so important? This is the first I'm hearing of pitch fork.

Shurs

Suzaku said:
Dude you are living in your own dream world, EPs by definition are not albums.

An EP (short for extended play) is a musical recording which contains more music than a single, but is too short to qualify as a full album or LP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_play

Since you're using Wikipedia to qualify what an album is, I guess I will too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Album_types

Notice how EPs are included but not singles.

Also, from your link:

In the United Kingdom, the Official Chart Company defines a boundary between EP and album classification at 25 minutes of length or four tracks (not counting alternative versions of featured songs, if present).[

Metropolis: Suite 1 (The Chase) Track listing
1. "March of the Wolfmasters" – 1:27
2. "Violet Stars Happy Hunting!" – 3:13
3. "Many Moons" – 5:34
4. "Cybertronic Purgatory" – 1:40
5. "Sincerely, Jane." – 5:36

5 Tracks.

Also:

Chart (2008)↓
US Billboard 200 115
US Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums 20
US Billboard Top Heatseekers 2

Just sayin'.

HiResDes

FairyD said:
Well in that case fuck Pitch Fork.

On a side note how long have they've been around and why are they so important? This is the first I'm hearing of pitch fork.

They've been around for a while now, since 1995...They host one of the biggest music festivals in the United States, and they review a wide variety of albums including music that could sometimes be construed as obscure. For a big publication there lists usually are fairly robust and well made, but yes when it comes to hip-hop/rap they don't really know that the fuck they're talking about...

Edit: EPs are albums, there are some bands that only release EPs...

Wow not even an honorable mention for Owen Pallett's "Heartland" even though they scored it an 8.6? Fucking fail. This is probably Pitchfork's worst Year-End Best Of since I have been following them.

kylej

Banned
HiResDes said:
They've been around for a while now, since 1995...They host one of the biggest music festivals in the United States, and they review a wide variety of albums including music that could sometimes be construed as obscure. For a big publication there lists usually are fairly robust and well made, but yes when it comes to hip-hop/rap they don't really know that the fuck they're talking about...

Edit: EPs are albums, there are some bands that only release EPs...

Here's what's great about Pitchfork: a couple summers ago I wanted to be the king of music. I toiled through every shitty half-assed Blogspot blog that posted mediafire links of cassette-only releases. I figured I would find the hidden world beneath the Pitchfork mainstream nonsense filled with amazing music that nobody had heard... and you know what? 99% of the time when I heard something really good, Pitchfork would review it within a month or two.

Pitchfork pulls 25 albums a week out of the murky shithole that is independent internet music releases. If you give every album they review each week a listen you'll save a ton of time and find music you love. If you're reaaaaaally into a certain genre there are other sites that can cater to you, but for a general music site nobody does it better than P4k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom