• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

I didn't think there were any standout highs in this movie, because the movie itself is consistently high. It rarely ever misses a beat.

I'll get to what you guys want to hear, it's the best Pixar film since 2007-10, it could easily fit with those movies from that time.

HUELEN10

They have played this teen titans promo THREE TIMES already...
4CUXBK7.jpg
Start the movie or play something different, please!

Memles

Personally the scene that really got me was
Bing Bong sacrificing himself so that Joy can be saved. When he asked Joy to take Riley to the moon as he was slowly disappearing, the strong symbolism of her childhood being over... Man, that was heartbreaking T-T

I didn't outright cry in the theater, but I teared up reading this spoiler, so...yeah. I felt feelings.

This movie.

THIS movie.

This is one of the few movies where I absolutely adored EVERY character, including the parents.

Seriously these parents actually have personality and aren't just there to take up space. It's really refreshing.

Blizzard

Banned
So the movie wasn't near as unappealing as I thought it might be from the first trailers.

Personally the scene that really got me was
Bing Bong sacrificing himself so that Joy can be saved. When he asked Joy to take Riley to the moon as he was slowly disappearing, the strong symbolism of her childhood being over... Man, that was heartbreaking T-T
That was the worst for me. I had like, a big tear rolling down one side of my face. :'(

I saw Inside Out last night. It was decent, probably better than Brave, but very very sad.

Most kids movies might at least have some positive things happening along the way. This one is like, ALL YOUR HOPES AND DREAMS AND ATTEMPTS AT FIXING THINGS HAVE FAILED. THEY ARE GONE FOREVER AND YOUR LIFE IS FUTILE. I mean, that's sort of the point, depression is painful, but boy it's a little rough.

However, there are some funny moments, including some hilarious stuff in the credits. There's no post-credits scene, just little mid-credits videos.

The animation is really well done technically, fur looks very furry and all that, but for some reason it didn't feel as Pixar-y to me as what I remember from other movies. Maybe other studios have gotten better so the look is just more similar, or maybe my memory is bad, but the people just felt a tiny bit weird to me.

I'd say maybe 8/10 for me overall.

LegendX48

I liked what I saw but I feel like I missed a ton cause I had to run out the moment the movie started (restroom... stupid body!). Don't suppose someone could post like a recap of the first 15 minutes? I need to see it again, I just feel like I missed way too much.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I liked what I saw but I feel like I missed a ton cause I had to run out the moment the movie started (restroom... stupid body!). Don't suppose someone could post like a recap of the first 15 minutes? I need to see it again, I just feel like I missed way too much.
Ah that sucks dude, the first fifteen are amazing.
Riley is born, and with Riley being born, so is Joy, she's all alone in the dark of Riley's mind, and Riley's parents call her a bundle of joy after she presses the control panel(which is only a single button) to make Riley smile. Which creates the first memory, which makes Joy happy, but then she gets surprised since Riley starts crying, Joy looks over and sees Sadness pressing the button, and tries to push her out of the way. We're then treated to an adorable narrated montage of Riley growing up and getting introduced to the other characters and her personality islands.
What part did you start with exactly?

LegendX48

Ah that sucks dude, the first fifteen are amazing.
Riley is born, and with Riley being born, so is Joy, she's all alone in the dark of Riley's mind, and Riley's parents call her a bundle of joy after she presses the control panel(which is only a single button) to make Riley smile. Which creates the first memory, which makes Joy happy, but then she gets surprised since Riley starts crying, Joy looks over and sees Sadness pressing the button, and tries to push her out of the way. We're then treated to an adorable narrated montage of Riley growing up and getting introduced to the other characters and her personality islands.
What part did you start with exactly?

Damn, I did miss a lot lol I got back when
Joy was getting things ready for Riley's first day of school

Just came from seeing "Inside Out". I think it's Pixar's best movie, or at least a return to form.

A very real story on the outside that a lot of kids go through and on the inside it's an examination of seeing your kid grow up and realising that you have to let go and mature and can't just remember the happy moments. Fantastic cast, lots of hilarious moments and the ending literally brought me to tears. I say that a lot, and maybe I get really emotional about some movies, but this is so familiar to how I felt when I was Riley's age and in that scenario.

Just an awesome movie all around.

Kinsei

Banned
Damn, I did miss a lot lol I got back when
Joy was getting things ready for Riley's first day of school

Yeah, you did miss alot.
Riley finding out about the move, and then her and her family arriving at their new house were really big moments that led to her depression.

HUELEN10

Just got ended, possibly in the top 3 Pixar films, but also not enjoyable to me; it didn't move me and instead made me feel very unsettled.

If you are suffering through PTSD, consider skipping this one. Then again, I can only speak for myself.

Excellent film, sadly just not enjoyable to me; deserves every award and the score is absolutely superb.

I really want to love the movie but I don't know what it is, it just didn't fully click with me. Went to the 7pm show tonight with my nieces; they loved it, 7 and 3 years old. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic movie. I don't know why I can't fully praise it.

Blizzard

Banned
Just got ended, possibly in the top 3 Pixar films, but also not enjoyable to me; it didn't move me and instead made me feel very unsettled.

If you are suffering through PTSD, consider skipping this one. Then again, I can only speak for myself.

Excellent film, sadly just not enjoyable to me; deserves every award and the score is absolutely superb.
My friend didn't like the movie because it was so sad. I can see how it could negatively affect someone given how repeatedly it hammers negative outcomes in the middle of the movie.

HUELEN10

Am in the car, and wow... I just don't even want to talk about it. If you are suffering from anything like PTSD/Shellshock or anxiety, don't watch this; it might ruin your night. To try to get away from it, I want to talk about Lava.

Lava is one of the most amazing looking Pixar shorts, every bit as gorgeous as Blue Umbrella, and has some amazing art direction. Full version of the volcano's song is sweet, and the story, while simple, is heartfelt and solid; easily one of their most memorable shorts.

Appleman

Just got back, absolutely loved it and was pleasantly surprised to be able to see it in 2D in UltraAVX.

As someone moving permanently to SF later this year the storyline really hit home hard for me.

Love all of the voice acting, especially Poehler, and the credits scene at the end is really great

Might post more in depth impressions when I'm not on my phone

Am in the car, and wow... I just don't even want to talk about it. If you are suffering from anything like PTSD/Shellshock or anxiety, don't watch this; it might ruin your night. To try to get away from it, I want to talk about Lava.

Lava is one of the most amazing looking Pixar shorts, every bit as gorgeous as Blue Umbrella, and has some amazing art direction. Full version of the volcano's song is sweet, and the story, while simple, is heartfelt and solid; easily one of their most memorable shorts.

I have a dreeeeeaammm I hope will come truueeeeeee that you're here with meee and I'm here with youuuuu

Gaf is always here you whenever you're suffering!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, you did miss alot.
Riley finding out about the move, and then her and her family arriving at their new house were really big moments that led to her depression.
IIRC he missed one of the best jokes in the movie.
Pizza store that ONLY sells broccoli pizza.

I really, really liked it. I didn't even get that "is the movie ending soon? This should be ending soon" feeling I usually do even with some good movies.

It wasn't very funny but I didn't mind that. It's not like things were falling flat, just that the focus wasn't on keeping the gags a-comin'. I felt bad for the kid, the parents, even the imaginary friend.

Phyllis as Sadness was perfect. The voice acting overall was solid at worst but she in particular, I think, was amazing.

TRIPLE MINT GUM

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Just saw it. It was charming, but very much by the books. Might not be as memorable as other Pixar greats, but still leagues better than cars or brave.

No real antagonist or stakes.. It kinda just hit the beats with a lot of grace and charm, but no impact.

Edit: lava was fantastic, though.

bounchfx

Saw it tonight, super awesome. Visually gorgeous and creative at times, really good storytelling and theme. Not a very happy movie, but powerful and entertaining. I don't think I could say it's my favorite pixar film but it's definitely up there.

ivysaur12

Banned
I need to take a few days/weeks to process where I put it in the Pixar pantheon, but wow, was that a fantastic film.

I was really nervous about half-way through that all the hype was for nothing and the movie would be cute, clever, and funny but sort of by the books, but everything after
Joy decides to take the tube alone
was unreal. I cried almost consistently from then on -- I'm still tearing up thinking about it now.

Also, the ending where
you see inside the boy's head was AMAZING. Same with the cats. Because cats gets scared for no reason.

Poignant, brilliant... It almost reminds me of the type of emotions I got while playing Mother 3, actually?

ALSO:
TRIPLE MINT GUM

Peru

No real antagonist or stakes. .

This is consistently one of the characteristics of great animated movies. This is a GOOD thing, because it allows the movie to explore different things than trite formulaic arcs and predictable morals.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is consistently one of the characteristics of great animated movies. This is a GOOD thing, because it allows the movie to explore different things than trite formulaic arcs and predictable morals.

Also, the stakes were there. They were huge. They were just emotional, not really saving the world stakes. That's a good thing.

Pros:
-Really funny, I laughed out loud a lot
-The characters/voice acting
-The portrayals of the different parts of the mind were visually striking and kinda thought provoking for a kids movie

Con:
-The plot and pacing were simply not well done.
In Riley's mind, it just boils down to inconvenient obstacles that conveniently showcase another part of the brain. This wouldn't be so bad if Sadness didn't just decide to ride a fucking cloud and render the rest of their journey pointless. I feel like they could have reached those same awesome moments in different parts of the brain in a more meaningful, less lazy way than 'oh shit bridges are falling down all the fucking time and now we've wound up in this part of the mind'. Riley's plot was even worse. Most of her scenes were quickly glossed over and paper thin, they seemed more like bullet points in an outline rather than an actual script. Then the runaway bus plot happened. Everything from then on was so dumb and unrealistic I could barely care.
There are some truly beautiful moments in this movie, but it just doesn't flow that well as a whole.

Poignant, brilliant... It almost reminds me of the type of emotions I got while playing Mother 3, actually?

ALSO:
TRIPLE MINT GUM

Not going to lie, when
Joy and Bing Bong where trying to get out of the pit I thought they were going to launch into that song to make the cart fly. At the time I thought that that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do and am glad that they didn't

TRIPLE MINT GUM

ivysaur12

Banned
Not going to lie, when
Joy and Bing Bong where trying to get out of the pit I thought they were going to launch into that song to make the cart fly. At the time I thought that that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do and am glad that they didn't

TRIPLE MINT GUM

I really
miss Bing Bong. GOD. I'm going to cry again.

When
Bing bong glanced at his disappearing arm, smiled and said "Let's try one more time"
I knew exactly what was about to happen and have never gone from neutral to tears so quickly. I cried three times overall. Such a powerfully relatable film.

I thought this movie was amazing. Truly beautiful. The scene
where Joy finally understands what sadness if for
is one of Pixar's best moments.

I didn't think there were any standout highs in this movie, because the movie itself is consistently high. It rarely ever misses a beat.

I'll get to what you guys want to hear, it's the best Pixar film since 2007-10, it could easily fit with those movies from that time.

giphy.gif

B33

Banned
INSIDE OUT illustrates that we can't appreciate the heights of happiness without the depths of sadness. It's Pixar's finest film to date.

I never thought I'd choke up because of a moment with a character named "Bing Bong," but here we are.

I'd rate this UP level.

Incredible beginning and finish (ending in the credits with the most incredible comedy escalation sequence I've literally ever seen in my life, the perfect finish for a melancholy film), but a few moves in the action that seemed a bit flat.
I wish Joy had come up with a plan to get back to headquarters that didn't involve a thrown together bunch of stuff she found, even though a tower of imaginary boyfriends was hilarious,
exactly how a sky full of dogs in biplanes is hilarious but, um, ok.
The story's greatest strengths where when the action and/or jokes directly aligned with something going on in her life or how we all think. The ending climax didn't really have any of that.

Also, Yung Giacc turned in incredible work, but not on his UP or Ratalouie levels where every single note is perfection.

But god this film stays with you.

I cried a few times.
When Sadness talks to Bing Bong
When Riley breaks down
From laughter at the cat thoughts. Literal tears.

That said, the film was SO good at conveying the ENORMOUSLY high stakes that I choked up
every time an island fell. Just the idea that such HUGE parts of her childhood were gone forever was SO FUCKING DEVASTATING.

Getting emotional just thinking about it now;
sad, but feeling joy at seeing such a wonderful movie.
;D

Also, MOYNIHAN AND PAULA POUNDSTONE SHORT, PIXAR. NOW.

Man, even the jokes stay with you so hard:
GIRL. GIRL. GIRL.
"Why do we need these phone numbers? They're in the phone!"
"Oh no! I can't tell these Facts and Opinions apart." "Ah, don't worry. Happens all the time."
"Ugh, pick a storyline!"
Anger's Newspapers

It just goes to show, even the third or fourth best Pixar movie is head and shoulders above any movie you'll see that year.

HUELEN10

Just got back, what an absolutely amazing film. They need to get a Best Picture nom for this.

I hope not, Peanuts looks too good to be snubbed best animated; can't have this get best pic nomination, without it also winning bets animated, because the academy is dumb like that.

And guys, it's Triple-dent Gum; get it right!
I thought this movie was amazing. Truly beautiful. The scene
where Joy finally understands what sadness if for
is one of Pixar's best moments.

Okay, I'll bite
what is sadness for
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom