• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to watch this on a plane last night. I've always liked and respected Pixar, but have never truly enjoyed most of their films as much as others it seems (maybe my heart is black?). I'm more of a classic Disney guy.

Anyways, it was pretty good. I didn't love it, wasn't blown away by it and found it to be a bit plodding, but it was good.

Linius

Had another look around and it seems the exclusive disc in the Zavvi steelbook edition is an actual exclusive. But I'm confused by the rest and not sure if I even have that right. This is the listing on the Zavvi website of the bonus features:

Is the stuff on the second disc on the bonus disc in the NA version (the "ultimate collector's edition, 3D pack)? From the Amazon listing it sounds like the bonus stuff on the first disc (with the movie) on Zavvi is on a separate disc in the US but I honestly have no idea, and some of the stuff doesn't sound like it's listed. Can anyone confirm?

Right this page has all the stuff listed actually so it seems perfect, just not sure I want to risk getting it late (although with it being out earlier in NA it's easier I guess and better), I wish I could get it here locally though especially at my stupid store.

In The Netherlands there's a two disc version of the blu-ray with the same content on disc two as you listed above. So I think it's safe to assume that every two disc edition of the blu-ray will have that content.

IUKCDPH.jpg

France will have this same edition as you can see on the cover, it's both written in Dutch and French. Probably Belgium too.

NateDog

In The Netherlands there's a two disc version of the blu-ray with the same content on disc two as you listed above. So I think it's safe to assume that every two disc edition of the blu-ray will have that content.

IUKCDPH.jpg

France will have this same edition as you can see on the cover, it's both written in Dutch and French. Probably Belgium too.

Hmm the problem is no copies I can see available in the UK or Ireland have any bonus disc mentioned, they just say nothing (DVD), Blu-ray (Blu-ray) or 3D Blu-ray and Blu-ray (3D).

w220121_l.jpg

Bloomers

Just finished watching this. Maybe its becauseI had a long week, but damn did all the sad scenes with Bing-Bong hit me like a massive feel train. q_q

Awesome movie all around.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I got my scratched blu-ray changed, so everything's well now. Saw it last night, and finished it again 10 minutes ago.

The nice thing is that it comes with both the hockey and football scene on the same disc. Depending on the language you choose (saw it both in Spanish and English), it shows the appropriate version of the scene, and the signs and newspaper headlines change too. That's cool!

The new short, Riley's First Date?, is really funny, but extremely short. I would have liked it to be at least double its length. Very good, but waaay too short.

Had another look around and it seems the exclusive disc in the Zavvi steelbook edition is an actual exclusive. But I'm confused by the rest and not sure if I even have that right. This is the listing on the Zavvi website of the bonus features:

Is the stuff on the second disc on the bonus disc in the NA version (the "ultimate collector's edition, 3D pack)? From the Amazon listing it sounds like the bonus stuff on the first disc (with the movie) on Zavvi is on a separate disc in the US but I honestly have no idea, and some of the stuff doesn't sound like it's listed. Can anyone confirm?

Right this page has all the stuff listed actually so it seems perfect, just not sure I want to risk getting it late (although with it being out earlier in NA it's easier I guess and better), I wish I could get it here locally though especially at my stupid store.
Going to take pics of the menus from my discs right now, now I'm curious and want to know this too! Will update this post once I'm done.

EDIT: OK, got the necessary pics. This is the edition I have (the 4-disc, 3D blu-ray one), along with the respective discs (2D movie and bonus stuff):

Disc 1 menu:

Bonus disc menu:

Comparing it to the listing on Zavvi , the only thing that seems to be missing is "Selected score", which I don't have any idea what could be. Perhaps a couple of songs from the soundtrack? And as far as I can tell, my copy doesn't say anything about a bonus disc in the cover (neither front nor back), so I was surprised to find it inside. Maybe it's the same with the UK version.

NateDog

Comparing it to the listing on Zavvi , the only thing that seems to be missing is "Selected score", which I don't have any idea what could be. Perhaps a couple of songs from the soundtrack? And as far as I can tell, my copy doesn't say anything about a bonus disc in the cover (neither front nor back), so I was surprised to find it inside. Maybe it's the same with the UK version.

Thank you so much! I appreciate that a lot. Seems like it has everything (apart from the score thing but honestly I wouldn't miss that a lot compared to the rest). Only thing is your version (on Amazon at least) mentions it has a fourth disc, but all the UK/Ireland listings I've seen mention just either DVD, Blu-Ray and DVD or 3D and 2D Blu-ray.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you so much! I appreciate that a lot. Seems like it has everything (apart from the score thing but honestly I wouldn't miss that a lot compared to the rest). Only thing is your version (on Amazon at least) mentions it has a fourth disc, but all the UK/Ireland listings I've seen mention just either DVD, Blu-Ray and DVD or 3D and 2D Blu-ray.
You're welcome :)

That's true, Amazon does say that my version comes with 4 discs, even though it doesn't appear on the cover itself. Don't know what to tell you, I thought it would be the same contents everywhere in the world (only with a different region for the discs), but from what you're saying it seems that's not the case.

The problem with importing it from the US is that it may not be compatible with your devices. I can't confirm if it's region free or not (the cover says it isn't), because my PS3 plays region A natively, and I have no other way to test it.

NateDog

You're welcome :)

That's true, Amazon does say that my version comes with 4 discs, even though it doesn't appear on the cover itself. Don't know what to tell you, I thought it would be the same contents everywhere in the world (only with a different region for the discs), but from what you're saying it seems that's not the case.

The problem with importing it from the US is that it may not be compatible with your devices. I can't confirm if it's region free or not (the cover says it isn't), because my PS3 plays region A natively, and I have no other way to test it.

I should be OK, I've imported NTSC stuff before and it worked (only tried it on my PS3 and it worked so that was great but I had other options too). Although I'm worried about the Hayao Miyazaki collection I have ordered from Amazon.com because it seems like at least a few discs won't be region-free.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I can't believe there are people that don't like Bing Bong and my wife is one of them!! Breaks my heart man!

Dude is like my favorite Pixar character ever after repeated viewings of this amazing movie.

I seriously get choked up every single fucking time he jumps off the Rocket to save Joy :(

I can't believe there are people that don't like Bing Bong and my wife is one of them!! Breaks my heart man!

Dude is like my favorite Pixar character ever after repeated viewings of this amazing movie.

I seriously get choked up every single fucking time he jumps off the Rocket to save Joy :(
What?! Does she not have a heart?
I was in the theater at that scene biting my lip like "Hold it together, man. You got this. You got this..."

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
What?! Does she not have a heart?
I was in the theater at that scene biting my lip like "Hold it together, man. You got this. You got this..."

lol that's what I said! She wants to get me this figurine she saw of Bing Bong for Christmas
where he's fading away or invisible to mess with my emotions. She is a demented devil woman!!! And yeah when I was watching this in the theater with my two kids I was an absolute wreck, legit tears coming down. I couldn't believe it. I usually never cry at the theater lol

I watched this again yesterday, and I liked it A LOT more the second time. This is what I said in this thread on June 22:

Ehhh, it was pretty good and an improvement over the other recent PIXAR offerings, but it’s not top tier.

The PIXAR curse of the first 10 or so minutes being amazing and the middle being ok continues. 7.5/10

I don't know if I was tired and missed all the little details or if I was just in a crappy mood or what, but I take back that 7.5. After a second viewing I'd give it a 9.5 and say it's definitely top 3 tier when it comes to PIXAR. I was just really impressed this time and can't wait to pick up the blu-ray next week.

Joy is an amazing character by the way.

Matticers

Loved the movie, its amazingly great.
The thing is, it doesnt feel like a family movie, but more lie a 1 hour and a half monologue for adults (or 15 year old kids up). I dont mean this in the wrong way, I thought it was refreshing for a animated film.
But the kids were all bored to death in the theater. It was full packed and ther were twisting in their seats, talking to their parents, asking their parents, one was crying of fear (not making this up) everytime the lands were destroyed.
Adults werte laughing their asses out though.
I think its the more "adult" of all pixar movies with The Incredibles and Ratatouille, but those two had more action scenes to keep kids engaged.

I recently watched it for the first time and I feel the exact same way. I watched it by myself but my initial thought was "this is an adult movie. Some kids might get a few laughs from it but overall they'll probably be bored or confused." I feel like it's mostly aimed at teenagers and up.

Also, the parents thoughts were some of the best parts of the movie. It's a damn shame we didn't get to see some more of that but it's understandable that we didn't. Great movie overall.

Kenai

I don't know - I thought bing bong was pretty creepy till... you know that scene.

To be fair after Frozen I was totally expecting some random off the wall backstabbing stuff like abandonment issues or whatever, especially after some of the "shortcuts" and the questionable memory grabbing (I still am not really sure what he was doing, holding onto them for nostalgia?).

Then "that scene" and I felt like a horrible monster for doubting him and really sad too. it wasn't quite a bad for me as Bolt + girl in the burning building (my dog had died not long before and his yelp sounded way too familiar) but this was a solid second place.

I also think this movie was more aimed at adults. But that's ok.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know - I thought bing bong was pretty creepy till... you know that scene.
Me too. He was written in a fantastic way, making me believe he'd pull a Lotso, a la Toy Story 3, until it was clear he wasn't a villain. But at that point, it was already too late :'(

Don't those 10 minutes end with a broken man with an unfulfilled life? Get ready for fun, kids!
After the credits he wakes up and hugs his young wife and baby.

BOOM! Much better than the actual movie.

Am I the only one who was too distracted thinking about a movie with fully developed adult psyches from the get go to fully enjoy the film?

Superb execution, but felt unambitious by the end.

Herne

I saw it a few days ago, was a bit disappointed to be honest. Probably because I saw where the movie was going instantly and I wanted it to get there faster. All I could think of the entire way through was -

Sadness is important to the group and to Riley's well being, hurry up and realise it, Joy, ffs.

On the other hand, if that actually happened sooner, there would've been nothing of the plot left. I don't know, sometimes I'm dim when it comes to where films are going, and I usually don't see it. But it was blatantly obvious on this one and though fairly funny throughout (though nowhere near as funny as say, Finding Nemo), it somewhat ruined my enjoyment of it all.

For me, it was just above average, which is not at all what I expect from a Pixar film. I even liked Cars - and laughed at it - more than I did this one.

Got the bluray and watched it tonight.

I enjoyed it and it's one of the better Pixar films, but I can't help but feel there wasn't really enough to fill an entire movie. How Joy and Sadness are all "let's go this way" then "nope it's all falling down let's go that away instead" repeating, and Anger/Fear/Disgust having basically the same scene of not being able to handle situations without Joy over and over.
Like it's a story that could have easily been told in 30 minutes dragged out into a full length film.

I enjoyed it and it's one of the better Pixar films, but I can't help but feel there wasn't really enough to fill an entire movie. How Joy and Sadness are all "let's go this way" then "nope it's all falling down let's go that away instead" repeating, and Anger/Fear/Disgust having basically the same scene of not being able to handle situations without Joy over and over.
Like it's a story that could have easily been told in 30 minutes dragged out into a full length film.

Feel the same. It was enjoyable but I wanted more interaction from Anger, Disgust and Fear than what we got.

Watched my Blu-ray copy the other night with my mom.
SO gorgeous. This time I was affected emotionally more than the two times I saw it in theaters, which I thought was interesting.
My mom kept yelling at Joy to leave Sadness behind and would get mad when Sadness touched the controls, haha.

Riley's First Date? was cute.

I saw it a few days ago, was a bit disappointed to be honest. Probably because I saw where the movie was going instantly and I wanted it to get there faster. All I could think of the entire way through was -

Sadness is important to the group and to Riley's well being, hurry up and realise it, Joy, ffs.

On the other hand, if that actually happened sooner, there would've been nothing of the plot left. I don't know, sometimes I'm dim when it comes to where films are going, and I usually don't see it. But it was blatantly obvious on this one and though fairly funny throughout (though nowhere near as funny as say, Finding Nemo), it somewhat ruined my enjoyment of it all.

For me, it was just above average, which is not at all what I expect from a Pixar film. I even liked Cars - and laughed at it - more than I did this one.
Maybe you were so caught off guard by your realization of the direction of the plot, that you couldn't stop thinking about it and therefore failed to enjoy the journey. The things that happened on the way to Joy realizing that sadness is important were varied, entertaining, clever, and fun. In particular, I thought the handling of the realization to be very well done.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
SO gorgeous. This time I was affected emotionally more than the two times I saw it in theaters, which I thought was interesting.
My mom kept yelling at Joy to leave Sadness behind and would get mad when Sadness touched the controls, haha.

Hahaha, I watched it with a friend last weekend and she was doing the same all the time. She reacted loudly to many scenes, which was funny and felt like some kind of real-life recreation of the movie. The brain freeze scene was particularly amusing because we were eating ice cream at the time. Of course, I didn't tell her the reason why Joy shouldn't leave Sadness behind :p

And no, I still can't help but cry at the end. 7 times aren't enough not to break down when
Riley comes back home and starts crying.

Mossybrew

Agreed. Enjoyed the movie but it felt padded.

Loved it, definitely one of Pixar's best. Laughed really hard on the plane.

I didnt really like Bing Bong either, but everything else made up for it.

Pixar BDs are beautiful.

I was having a great time until I found out the Taiwanese collector's edition was missing the bonus feature disc, I was so pissed! I immediately ordered it from Amazon, fuck me for supporting local publisher.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Saw it on a plane. That scene near the end with her parents... Jesus christ, tears like nobody's business. Had to put Mad Max on to counteract them.

Rush_Khan

To be fair after Frozen I was totally expecting some random off the wall backstabbing stuff like abandonment issues or whatever, especially after some of the "shortcuts" and the questionable memory grabbing (I still am not really sure what he was doing, holding onto them for nostalgia?).

Then "that scene" and I felt like a horrible monster for doubting him and really sad too. it wasn't quite a bad for me as Bolt + girl in the burning building (my dog had died not long before and his yelp sounded way too familiar) but this was a solid second place.

I also think this movie was more aimed at adults. But that's ok.

Glad I'm not the only one who had suspicions of him before that scene. Ever since his first appearance when he was taking those memories I was watching him throughout the whole movie waiting for the backstab. I felt so bad. Well played, Pixar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom