• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I watched it last week with some friends. I still believe it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen at the movies. Jaw dropping from start to finish, and it didn't collapse during the second half like many other Pixar films.

Also, I cannot fuggin believe people are hating on Lava. Who cares if it's a sentimental and short story? It was GORGEOUS, and not just visually.

Loved the movie, its amazingly great.
The thing is, it doesnt feel like a family movie, but more lie a 1 hour and a half monologue for adults (or 15 year old kids up). I dont mean this in the wrong way, I thought it was refreshing for a animated film.
But the kids were all bored to death in the theater. It was full packed and ther were twisting in their seats, talking to their parents, asking their parents, one was crying of fear (not making this up) everytime the lands were destroyed.
Adults werte laughing their asses out though.
I think its the more "adult" of all pixar movies with The Incredibles and Ratatouille, but those two had more action scenes to keep kids engaged.

Loved they used
Grim Grinning Ghost
in the nightmare house dream. lol Ive also heard you can find
figment
in imaginationland

Just to chime in on this point, I would argue that
Joy, not Sadness
is the one who messes things up, inasmuch as the main emergency in the film
(when Sadness and Joy go missing)
occurs precisely because
Joy tries to prevent Sadness from making Riley feel Sad

This is all true. You can find it strange at the beggining (I did), but then it all falls apart (even if by the middle I knew why it was happening, but its not like it hinder the quality becuase I knew it in advance).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The thing is, it doesnt feel like a family movie, but more lie a 1 hour and a half monologue for adults
This a wonderful way to describe it.

Also, there was a joke about bears and San Francisco in a Disney film.

What a time to be alive.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is all true. You can find it strange at the beggining (I did), but then it all falls apart (even if by the middle I knew why it was happening, but its not like it hinder the quality becuase I knew it in advance).
Actually, that's not really accurate, in my opinion.
Joy doesn't mess things up, it's Riley herself who does. She tries to hold back the sadness she's starting to feel deep inside and keep presenting herself as being happy, and as a result her emotional health goes awry. She's the one who's hiding Sadness away; the little emotions are nothing but visual representations of what is going on inside her head, metaphors if you want. They provide a fantastical explanation in an entertaining way to what it means to repress one's feelings, to pretend they are feeling well when they are not. When we see Anger all riled up (I love the word plays in the soundtrack), that's because Riley is the one who's mad, and the little emotion is simply reflecting on that fact in a visual way (she's feeling mad right then, thus the emotion who must be in charge is Anger).

Inside Out touches themes such as depression and hiding behind a mask of fake happiness. It's an incredibly deep movie that goes far beyond what we see inside Riley's head; most of the things we see there have an actual meaning. This is taking serious things that can (and do) happen in real life and saying "Hey, how would it be like if the emotions during these events were sentient and had a personality of their own? How would they behave and react? How can we explain these changes and struggles this 11 year old girl is experiencing through the eyes of her self-aware, living emotions?"

I could be completely mistaken, of course, but this is my interpretation of the movie, based on the things I've seen in the movie, read from the creators and also read on GAF (this thread is great, it has a lot of good posts with different and interesting points of view).

mrkgoo

Actually, that's not really accurate, in my opinion.
Joy doesn't mess things up, it's Riley herself who does. She tries to hold back the sadness she's starting to feel deep inside and keep presenting herself as being happy, and as a result her emotional health goes awry. She's the one who's hiding Sadness away; the little emotions are nothing but visual representations of what is going on inside her head, metaphors if you want. They provide a fantastical explanation in an entertaining way to what it means to repress one's feelings, to pretend they are feeling well when they are not. When we see Anger all riled up (I love the word plays in the soundtrack), that's because Riley is the one who's mad, and the little emotion is simply reflecting on that fact in a visual way (she's feeling mad right then, thus the emotion who must be in charge is Anger).

Inside Out touches themes such as depression and hiding behind a mask of fake happiness. It's an incredibly deep movie that goes far beyond what we see inside Riley's head; most of the things we see there have an actual meaning. This is taking serious things that can (and do) happen in real life and saying "Hey, how would it be like if the emotions during these events were sentient and had a personality of their own? How would they behave and react? How can we explain these changes and struggles this 11 year old girl is experiencing through the eyes of her self-aware, living emotions?"

I could be completely mistaken, of course, but this is my interpretation of the movie, based on the things I've seen in the movie, read from the creators and also read on GAF (this thread is great, it has a lot of good posts with different and interesting points of view).

I'm not sure the film really explicitly states whether the outside world and "body" actions are a cause or effect of the emotions within or vice versa.yeah I know the whole concept of the control panel suggests emotions control the person, but the entire world they're building suggests it's a two- way street.

I'd say its probably all part and parcel and intertwined.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm not sure the film really explicitly states whether the outside world and "body" actions are a cause or effect of the emotions within or vice versa.yeah I know the whole concept of the control panel suggests emotions control the person, but the entire world they're building suggests it's a two- way street.

I'd say its probably all part and parcel and intertwined.

It's all riley. The emotions are just a visual representation of what she's feeling.

entremet

Excellent film. Pixar is back, baby.

Had a terrible viewing experience. Crying baby and a kid that watched it multiple times was talking and spoiling the film. That's what I get for not picking a later showing.

Pachimari

I'm in the cinema now. It is the third Pixar movie I'm watching in the cinema I think. But the first IMAX 3D movie I'm gonna watch.

What should I expect of the IMAX experience?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
finally inside out in germany.

WHAT AN AWESOME AND WONDERFUL MOVIE.

we loved every second of it and can't wait to watch it a second time.

probably my favourite pixar movie. thinking about importing the blu ray I actually did not like this change http://imgur.com/a/FaGtq because the hockey suits the story better.

cyba89

Saw this yesterday (why is this so late in Germany?) and loved every bit of it. Very imaginitive and unconventional for an animated kids movie. I don't understand the people who are saying this is playing it save. World building reminded me of Monsters Inc. and the whole visualisation of the different aspects of the mind were very creative. Felt like the movie was actually more aimed at adults. I wonder how much of this a kid actually understands.

While it was very emotional it was also one of the most entertaining Pixar movies to watch, because of all these great characters and how they interacted. Almost all jokes got very strong reactions from the crowd in the theatre. Best one was the TripleDent Gum commercial.

Definitely top-tier Pixar for me. Up there with Toy Story 3, Incredibles, Wall-e and Up.

dity

This movie made me cry so much in the cinema. Really reminded me of some strong feelings I'd had as a young teenager that still really take a toll on me now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing this thread bumped, and more people seeing the movie and liking it, fills me with Joy. I'd love to be able to experience it again for the first time.

The blu-ray can't come out soon enough. With a little bit of luck I'll be importing it through Amazon, along with the soundtrack and a copy of WALL-E.

Seeing this thread bumped, and more people seeing the movie and liking it, fills me with Joy. I'd love to be able to experience it again for the first time.

The blu-ray can't come out soon enough. With a little bit of luck I'll be importing it through Amazon, along with the soundtrack and a copy of WALL-E.
Originally I planned to import from Amazon, but surprisingly the BD release date in Taiwan is only 5 days later than the US, considering the movie wasn't in theaters here until 2 months after its release in the US.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Originally I planned to import from Amazon, but surprisingly the BD release date in Taiwan is only 5 days later than the US, considering the movie wasn't in theaters here until 2 months after its release in the US.

saw that the blu ray is not region free ;_; I cried ._. but UK will get the blu ray on november 23th..still better than germany with february 2016 -_- but I don't like the whole football change >.<

scarlet

It seems I'm in the minority. I don't really like it. It's just okay. I don't know why, and I loved the trailer so much.

saw that the blu ray is not region free ;_; I cried ._. but UK will get the blu ray on november 23th..still better than germany with february 2016 -_- but I don't like the whole football change >.<
Wait what? All Disney published BDs should be region free!

I watched this movie yesterday and was absolutely impressed. I really like Pixar movies (for me, Pixar is the Nintendo of the film industry), and I think it's the best Pixar work so far, together with Up. No surprise given that it was directed by Up's director. Such a deep, emotional (who'd've guessed?!) movie, full of creative ideas and well written.

That said, I really didn't like Lava. Honestly, I thought it was kinda unnecessary.

tkscz

Oh god, Sadness reminds me too much of my girlfriend.

Also, this is more than likely just me, but are Joy and Anger representations of the ID, Sadness the Ego and Fear and Disgust the Super Ego? Maybe I just thought too hard about it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe it! Yesterday I went to a local store to buy the new Back to the Future flux capacitor collection, and while looking at the other stuff there I saw the Inside Out blu-ray on display. I immediately proceeded to ask for a copy, and casually said I had thought it wasn't officially out yet, to which the salesman replied "Yeah, it isn't really out, but we managed to get them early". That's OK with me, I don't need to know the details, just give me this movie! It wasn't cheap at all, it costed close to $80, but I don't care. All that matters is that I finally own it, without having to wait 2 more weeks (actually it would have been much longer, since I'd had to wait for the international delivery from Amazon or an acquaintance to travel to the US and bring it home).

And it's also the special edition, which comes with a 3D blu-ray on top of the 2D one, the DVD, a bonus blu-ray (no idea what it has) and a digital copy of the movie. Sadly the 2D disc seems to have a few scratches out of the box (and that's the one I'd watch, as I don't have a 3D TV), and while my PS3 managed to play the Lava short without any problem (my sister wanted to watch it again), I'd rather try and get it exchanged so as not to be worried. Think I'm gonna go back to the store tomorrow, here's hoping the guy will change it.

No idea if this is the hockey or football version, but since the case is all in English I'm guessing it's the former. It'll be nice to see that scene in its original form, even though I'm used to the football one after watching it 4 times at the cinema.

mrkgoo

I downloaded this yesterday because I can't wait for the blu-ray to have my wife see it, I was so excited.

The movie is so great and is definitely up in the higher end of my fave pixar movies.

Linius

You paid 80 dollars just for the Inside Out blu-ray RionaaM? Seems a bit much
CZooEXr.png

Saw this last sunday, and was completely shocked how awesome this movie was.

It kind of fell of my radar beforehand, and I wouldn't have gone seeing it if it weren't for a friend of mine who asked me to watch the movie with her..

I cried a lot, especially THAT scene (you know which one)..
Bing Bong dying..
Was good I had those 3D glasses on, so no one could see my manly tears... :D

The movie was really incredible, but I also thought this is in no way a kids movie at all.

It's more of a movie for adults to reflect on their childhood and how them feelings and memories happened and were fading away with time..
It's like the most sentimental thing there is to make a movie about, and they did it...

And they completely nailed it somehow...

(and yeah, that soundtrack... Listen to it... )

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You paid 80 dollars just for the Inside Out blu-ray RionaaM? Seems a bit much
It is a lot, but I loved the movie so much that I'm OK with that. I'm just happy I found it at all, and don't have to wait any longer. If only I could get my disc replaced (or the whole copy), it'd be perfect.

Saw this last sunday, and was completely shocked how awesome this movie was.

It kind of fell of my radar beforehand, and I wouldn't have gone seeing it if it weren't for a friend of mine who asked me to watch the movie with her..

I cried a lot, especially THAT scene (you know which one)..
Bing Bong dying..
Was good I had those 3D glasses on, so no one could see my manly tears... :D

The movie was really incredible, but I also thought this is in no way a kids movie at all.

It's more of a movie for adults to reflect on their childhood and how them feelings and memories happened and were fading away with time..
It's like the most sentimental thing there is to make a movie about, and they did it...

And they completely nailed it somehow...

(and yeah, that soundtrack... Listen to it... )
"Take her to the Moon for me."
Such a simple phrase that says a lot. Especially if you see it as
the catalyst for Riley to stop trying to escape her new life, and instead face it and try to make the most of it. It's some sort of "Do your best to make your dreams come true", and as chiclé as it is, it manages to be effective and powerful. Never stop reaching for the stars, don't ever give up, live a good life and don't shut your emotions up.

The soundtrack is absolutely beautiful indeed. I particularly love how many tracks reprise elements from others, adapting and changing them when necessary.

NateDog

When it is out in North America? I think it's mid-November here in Ireland, I want the Blu-ray but the girlfriend wants the DVD, think she'll have to join my side this time.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
When it is out in North America? I think it's mid-November here in Ireland, I want the Blu-ray but the girlfriend wants the DVD, think she'll have to join my side this time.
November 3rd, according to Amazon. The good news? Both of you can be happy with it! The regular edition comes with both blu-ray and DVD, along with a digital copy. The special edition adds an extra 3D blu-ray. And both versions come with a bonus disc, which I don't yet know the contents of, but I'm going to find out tonight.

NateDog

November 3rd, according to Amazon. The good news? Both of you can be happy with it! The regular edition comes with both blu-ray and DVD, along with a digital copy. The special edition adds an extra 3D blu-ray. And both versions come with a bonus disc, which I don't yet know the contents of, but I'm going to find out tonight.
I knew about the 3D one but not the blu-ray, awesome. I'm contemplating importing from the US though, Zavvi are listing a bonus disc as an exclusive and I don't see it mentioned on any Irish / UK site descriptions apart from them. I'll try find out anyway.

Odinson

Saw this for the first time this past weekend. It was amazing! Brilliantly told and one of Pixars best in my opinion.

I thought it was ultimately great but took surprisingly long to get to the Stuff. Could have trimmed 10 or so minutes from the opening act and it would have been a lot less, well, boring!

3D? I am in. That + Riley's First Date make it a must buy for me.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
3D? I am in. That + Riley's First Date make it a must buy for me.
According to Amazon, only the Ultimate Collector's Edition comes with the 3D disc (it's the one that says "4-Disc Version"), so be careful not to pick the regular one if you want to watch the movie in 3D.

(yeah, I'm repeating myself, but it's better to be safe than sorry :p)

maxcriden

Who's your friend who likes to play?
Bing Bong, Bing Bong
His rocket makes you yell "Hooray!"
Bing Bong, Bing Bong
Who's the best in every way, and wants to sing this song to say
Bing Bong, Bing Bong!

latest

NateDog

Had another look around and it seems the exclusive disc in the Zavvi steelbook edition is an actual exclusive. But I'm confused by the rest and not sure if I even have that right. This is the listing on the Zavvi website of the bonus features:
2D Disc 1

Lava
Riley`s First Date
Audio Commentary with Director Pete Docter, Co-Director Ronnie Del Carmen and Producer Jonas Rivera
Paths to Pixar: The Women of Inside Out
Mixed Emotions

Exclusive 2D Disc 2

Story or the Story
Mapping the Mind
Our Dads The Filmmakers
Into the Unknown: The Sound of Inside Out
The Misunderstood Art of Animation Film Editing
Deleted Scenes with Intros and Outros
Mind Candy
Selected Score
Remember trailer
Experience trailer
Japan Trailer

Is the stuff on the second disc on the bonus disc in the NA version (the "ultimate collector's edition, 3D pack)? From the Amazon listing it sounds like the bonus stuff on the first disc (with the movie) on Zavvi is on a separate disc in the US but I honestly have no idea, and some of the stuff doesn't sound like it's listed. Can anyone confirm?

Right this page has all the stuff listed actually so it seems perfect, just not sure I want to risk getting it late (although with it being out earlier in NA it's easier I guess and better), I wish I could get it here locally though especially at my stupid store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom