• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

My 8yo and 6yo nieces want me to take them to see this next weekend. Are there enough fun/funny bits to keep them interested? I'm a bit concerned all the coming of age/drama stuff may bore them. ..

Wiseblade

Joy is Riley, anything Joy was doing was just a visual representation of what Riley was feeling at that time and how she emotionally grew. It isn't like Joy was actually holding Riley up, like some little demon controlling her.

How is Joy Riley any more than her other emotions? Being sad is a perfectly natural response to Riley's situation, and Joy was having NONE of it. The scene with the memory tube was especially catty.

Kin5290

God, this was such an amazing movie.

The real life plot was incredibly powerful and affecting. I also loved Abstract Thought, Imagination Land, Bing Bong...

Bing Bong :(

Forget it Jake, it's Cloud Town.

Ferrio

Banned
How is Joy Riley any more than her other emotions? Being sad is a perfectly natural response to Riley's situation, and Joy was having NONE of it. The scene with the memory tube was especially catty.

They both are, but you're coming from the angle that Joy was controlling Riley, it's the other way around. Joy was acting that way because that's the way Riley was feeling. Riley was secretly sad, and she had to put on a happy facade for her parents hence Joy being pushy and shutting down the other emotions especially sadness. It makes no sense to call Joy a bully.

Just saw this and I could hear people sobbing behind me. I was on my way to it too if it werent for that :p

Great multi-layered movie. I'm amazed at how they were able to make a movie about anthropomorphic emotions!

I also love how they made depression very much understandable and in laymen terms.

linkboy

Riley was suppressing her sadness. She was using joy as a way to suppress her sadness. Riley was basically spiraling into a depression.

The emotion characters are metaphors for the emotions that Riley experiences.

Wiseblade

They both are, but you're coming from the angle that Joy was controlling Riley, it's the other way around. Joy was acting that way because that's the way Riley was feeling. Riley was secretly sad, and she had to put on a happy facade for her parents hence Joy being pushy and shutting down the other emotions especially sadness. It makes no sense to call Joy a bully.
Yeah, I'm coming at it from that angle because the emotions stand at a control panel and press buttons to make Riley do stuff.

Meia

am I crazy or were there no Joys in other people's heads

I think part of the point is whatever
emotion most closely matched the person they were tied to is the one that was most in control. In each of the heads you go into, there's a different one in control, and usually the others even change body shape to match.

Really liked this one, and thought the short was one of the best they've done. Dammit Pixar, I'm not supposed to feel emotions for a volcano. :p

Linius

I don't hate Volcano as much as some people seem to do. But it's pretty far away from being one of the best shorts. Pixar made some damn fine shorts.

Lifted, La Luna, Partly Cloudy and For the Birds come to mind for me.

Kin5290

I hated Lava, because the song was incredibly annoying rather than an interesting ear worm and its hard to get invested in a shallow romance that is based solely on a dumb song.

I watched this while on vacation with my girlfriend and I cried my eyes out. I can definitely see why people couldn't be attached to it, but Rileys experiences with moving mirrored a lot of my own as a child and it hit home really hard. Definitely in my top 5 Pixar movies.

Oh, and I'll jump on the loved lava team, feels were strong during that short.

Realyst

My 8yo and 6yo nieces want me to take them to see this next weekend. Are there enough fun/funny bits to keep them interested? I'm a bit concerned all the coming of age/drama stuff may bore them. ..

I took my nieces who are EXACTLY the same ages as yours. They both enjoyed it immensely.

MrBadger

so I just saw this and there were toddlers making noise everywhere and some kid actually playing games on his phone for half the movie. People suck.

Film was really nice though but I really need to re-watch it with less distractions.

gerg

I saw this today and I thought it was, overall, an incredible film. I thought that some of the scenes were a bit too obvious
specifically when Joy, Sadness and Bing Bong coaxed the clown to wake Riley up from her dream
, but I thought it was highly ambitious and poignant for a children's film to tell its audience that it is alright for it to be sad. Moreover, I was impressed with the broad understanding of psychoanalytic theory
such as with the development of (what I understood as) ambivalence towards the end
, and with the animation
especially in abstract thought
. I definitely teared up and cried a little towards the end, and when
Sadness comforted Bing Bong

Having said that,
I thought the section on cats was nothing short of slander, and that the relationship in Lava was creepy because you know the male mountain is like 1,000 years older than the female mountain

I do wonder though about the decision to define the five emotions as Sadness, Joy, Anger, Disgust and Fear. Seems like four out of five are negative emotions.

Went to watch this movie a second time in Japan with my Japanese cousins. My cousins enjoyed it and immediately downloaded the mobile game that was advertised during the movie.

exYle

I do wonder though about the decision to define the five emotions as Sadness, Joy, Anger, Disgust and Fear. Seems like four out of five are negative emotions.

There aren't many positive emotions that aren't just synonyms for each other. Negative emotions are just more diverse

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

715px-Plutchik-wheel.svg.png

Trust, Anticipation, and Surprise didn't make the cut.

Daedardus

Did you watch the movie?
The whole point at the end is that these emotions aren't negative, they all have a purpose.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Did you watch the movie?
The whole point at the end is that these emotions aren't negative, they all have a purpose.

Yep, sadness and anger help people deal with hardships and conflict. Disgust and fear help people deal with dangerous or harmful situations. Etc.

Yep, sadness and anger help people deal with hardships and conflict. Disgust and fear help people deal with dangerous or harmful situations. Etc.

Conversely,
if you consider that the emotions can be negative, then it can be said that joy can be negative, too, as it was hindering the role of sadness during the movie.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I thought this was absolutely amazing and one of Pixar's best ever. Up there with Monsters Inc and Toy Story.

thenexus6

I saw it this afternoon. Had a great time, very creative.

Wasn't a fan however of "Lava" and Joy's character design really (the blue hair looks bad)

Toa TAK

Banned
Saw it today and it was what I expected it to be from Pixar: a great film.

First off, Lava was great, it looked vibrant, almost photorealistic and the song was good. But damn does that Volcano have a heck of a journey throughout.

As for Inside Out, it really was a return to form and I really appreciated the story's lessons and themes. I think it was great for the movie to have no real villain, as it didn't need it, since the entire move is already an antagonistic force anyways. The movie really resonated with me, since I and I'm sure plenty of others could relate to moving at a young age. I hated moving from Los Angeles to bumfuck, Virginia at 8 with my younger sister and brother. So seeing the emotions react to everything through Riley was on the spot. Sleeping on the floor and all.
The core memories changing from Joy to Sadness in the film was brilliantly conveyed and furthered the message between Joy and Sadness.

The movie's premise about growing up emotionally was a breathe of fresh air when it comes to these "coming-of-age" stories.
The change, development, and addition personality islands was great at the end. The Bing Bong sacrifice was something, I just went from "aight" to "what the fuck is in my chest?"
Sadness really grated on me, though, holy shit. Loved her purpose but damn, aside from a few moments here and there, I just wasn't her biggest fan. Joy was my favorite, but again, great to see her learn that everyone, especially Sadness has a place.

I love Giachinno's theme for this movie, and major lol @
"Forget it, Jake, it's Cloudtown."
Only my sister and I and a mom had a good chuckle at that.

So this movie makes me happy that we're getting another Pixar film later.

One line review:

This movie is disingenuous being called Inside Out, as it implies the movie is anything more than one-dimensional.

I went and saw this a couple weeks ago for my birthday. The film has grown on me somewhat since then, but my overall impression is lukewarm.

Firstly, the short overstayed its welcome. The story and concept were good, but I grew tired of the song by the second verse. It didn't help that the whole theater was quiet and most of the kids in the audience had also lost interest at that point. I respect the tradition, but I've been indifferent to most of Pixar's shorts anyway.

Moving onto the movie, I will agree with most people that the concept is brilliant. It is one of those rare movies that has potential to change pop culture in that nobody will think about themselves or others the same again. The pacing was generally well done and I loved the art design for Headquarters, especially
the outside areas
. I was enjoying the movie...

...right up until
Bing Bong
showed up. At that point I felt like I walked into a Playhouse Disney TV show and I was almost completely taken out of the film. I found the entire character obnoxious and the color palette took a turn for the worst. It felt like they took a neutral film and tailored it entirely toward a younger audience at that point. I tend to enjoy those adventurous moments, so I was disappointed to find what should have been the high point for me resonating so low because of one character.

The movie regained some of its momentum when
they fell into the memory dump.
The lighting was fantastic and I think it was one of the better scenes in the film
in spite of that annoying song

What follows was a powerful personification of
depression and the realization that thoughts, memories and emotions are complex and can change at any time.
That scene along with
the redemption of Sadness
were thematically well done, which left me wondering why Pixar wasted such a good idea on such a dull plot. Nobody likes being uprooted to a new place and being unable to fit in - I've moved around several times and it always sucks. But it just felt too simple to me. She wasn't being bullied and she didn't lose her family; I dunno, I guess I just couldn't emphatize. It makes sense at that age to be experiencing new and unknown feelings, and I suppose it was done that way for dramatic effect, but I wasn't convinced - not within the timeframe the movie made it seem like it was happening.

The highlights of the film for me were the score - the piano theme in particular was beautiful and is one of the better motifs to come out of Pixar. And then there was the ending, which was exactly what I expected out of this film. I had a hearty laugh and it reminded me of a time when Pixar used to end their movies with bloopers.

I've always appreciated Pixar's ability to create many new and creative universes and tell good stories, but the latter have been lacking in recent years. Maybe the dinosaur film will be a return to form. For me, Inside Out missed the mark.

so I just saw this and there were toddlers making noise everywhere and some kid actually playing games on his phone for half the movie. People suck.

Film was really nice though but I really need to re-watch it with less distractions.

This is also why I prefer to watch these movies at home or in an empty theater. I'll probably end up liking it better when it is released and I can pay more attention to it on my own. Going back to that "Playhouse Disney" feeling I had, I really didn't feel like the scope of this film suited the cinema.

I almost watched it a fourth time this weekend, but decided to just wait for the Blu Ray instead. Hopefully I don't have to wait THAT long.

Kyuur

Saw this last week with my fiancee. Definitely top-tier Pixar for me, tied with Wall-E. Lava was the worst short I've seen on the other hand.

I
would die for
/could watch a shorts series just watching everyone's emotions guide them. The stuff in the middle with the parents and the ending credits was gold.

Toothless

Goddamn, third watch
and I still tear up at Bing Bong :(

Seriously, what I really love is the handicam style they have on the real world stuff. It gives the entire film a different feel than most animated films, and that, more than anything else I feel, adds to the immersion in the Riley scenes.

Phenomenal film.

BraXzy

This is probably a silly question, but I'm considering watching this tonight, is it mainly for kids or great for all?

Toa TAK

Banned
How Inside Out Should Have Ended

It's a guest animation, but it hits the
sending memories back to headquarters bit pretty perfectly.

Also, been listening to the score a lot these past couple days as it's fantastic through and through.

And wtf was Joy
seriously about to abandon Sadness? Like damn, I feel like we get a moment like that a lot in Pixar films, like Toy Story or Finding Nemo.

correojon

Saw this yesterday and was totally blown away. i was aware of the good critics, but the movie lived up to the expectations and clearly surpassed them. Awesome, awesome movie, I was at the brink of getting up and clapping at the end. The best movie I´ve seen in a long time by far.

I will recommend it to everyone I know.

Einbroch

Banned
Saw this last weekend.

Eh. I really liked the idea, and there were quite a few funny moments. My fiance LOVED Sadness. She laughed every time she said anything.

But we both had the same issue: too many "omg we're so close WHOOPS THIS THING HAPPENED NOW WE HAVE TO START OVER".

I think it happened at least five times. By the third time we both looked at each other like "come on".

BraXzy

Honestly I'd say adults will get more out of it than a lot of younger kids. I think kids will enjoy how colourful and fun the movie is but there's so many themes, ideas and jokes that would go over their heads.

Ended up going watching it with the GF and absolutely loved it. Almost got choked up at a few parts.

Loved almost everything about it but my favourite part about it is how well it simplified some pretty complex stuff like
Long Term Memory and the abstract thought bits
. There were some brilliant bits of humour in there too like
the red button towards the end of the film, and the dream sequence
. Definitely not just a film for kids.

One thing I found interesting was how the mum and dad both had different emotions "in charge" so to speak. The Dad had Anger calling the shots and wasn't it Sadness for the Mum? I wonder if that was intentional and had a deeper meaning or if it was just to mix it up and not have 'the yellow one' running each person.

Saw this last weekend.

Eh. I really liked the idea, and there were quite a few funny moments. My fiance LOVED Sadness. She laughed every time she said anything.

But we both had the same issue: too many "omg we're so close WHOOPS THIS THING HAPPENED NOW WE HAVE TO START OVER".

I think it happened at least five times. By the third time we both looked at each other like "come on".

One of the only negatives I felt coming out of the film was that it didn't feel like a lot actually happened, I think this might be why since it was the same issue repeated in different areas. I defo want to give it a rewatch when it's out on Blu-Ray and see how it fares in a second viewing.

thenexus6

Saw this last weekend.

Yeah this started to annoy me a little. I was thinking just hurry up!

Saw it yesterday. I'm typing this on my phone, so I'll save my thoughts for another time, but I'm kicking myself for missing an easter egg I immediately started hoping/looking for as soon as they went to
Imaginationland

Figment from the Journey into Imagination attraction in Epcot, Disney World. There's a picture of him in the bottom-right of the screen when they find the train of thought.

Toothless

Saw it yesterday. I'm typing this on my phone, so I'll save my thoughts for another time, but I'm kicking myself for missing an easter egg I immediately started hoping/looking for as soon as they went to
Imaginationland

Figment from the Journey into Imagination attraction in Epcot, Disney World. There's a picture of him in the bottom-right of the screen when they find the train of thought.

The one I caught on my recent rewatch was
Colette from Ratatouille is on a cooking magazine in one of the pre-title sequences with Riley running around.
Felt proud of that one; hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere.

I went to watch this the other day. I really enjoyed it and loved the short Lava, which was strange because the minute someone starts singing in a Disney/Pixar thing I immediately want to turn it off, but I found that short to be really charming.

Had to go and see it in the day, so there were quite a few children there who mostly looked a bit bored to be honest. The parents all seemed to really enjoy it though, and I could see people drying their eyes throughout (including my wife)

Overall a very good film in my opinion, and I was so glad there wasn't a main villain (something I think actually ruined Up) I don't think it's up there with my favourite film of theirs Finding Nemo, but it's definitely a huge step up from Brave.

Saw this on Sunday and loved it

Amazing how they nailed Bing Bong, he enters as a comic relief of sorts but is never annoying and then, well you know....

Also loved Lava and have been listening to it since.

I worry that the good dinosaur is going to fall flat after this, seems to have flop written all over it but I hope not

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't help myself. Had to see this for the fourth time. Went to the cinema with a friend who hadn't seen it before, and he hated Lava. His loss, I lavaed it. He did like the movie though, so not all is lost.

It's incredible how well it holds up after four watches in less than 2 months. It never gets boring or anything, and it still makes my eyes wet. I'm obsessed, I know, but it truly is a masterpiece, a classic for me.

Just came back from seeing this movie. It's awesome... I had a smile on my face throughout the whole film. Even though my friend slept for nearly 15 minutes during the film (12 hour rigorous shift and all) and even he loved it.
Loved the references to R.E.M, subconscious, imagination and long term memories.
Loved the ending.

Tizoc

The Lava short was the weakest of the Pixar shorts I've ever seen all others were fantastic though.

Overall I liked this, for a while I was wondering why
Sadness was just pushing herself among the emotions, then I realize it's what Riley was feeling and bottling up

Linius

I couldn't help myself. Had to see this for the fourth time. Went to the cinema with a friend who hadn't seen it before, and he hated Lava. His loss, I lavaed it. He did like the movie though, so not all is lost.

It's incredible how well it holds up after four watches in less than 2 months. It never gets boring or anything, and it still makes my eyes wet. I'm obsessed, I know, but it truly is a masterpiece, a classic for me.

I saw it two times in a couple of weeks time and I feel the same. Now I'll hold out on watching again till the blu release. At the moment everything about this movie gives me the feeling this will be a classic for me.

For a film about the difficulties of a family moving around and the importance of negative emotions, I thought Song of the Sea was better.

I wish the movie was more of a movie like some other animated movies that aren't Disney/Pixar where the visuals do the storytelling rather than dialogue. I didn't find much memorable in the imagery or what was being said about the themes that could have resonated with me. As someone who has lived in various countries since an early age, I thought I'd be biased to like this a lot more but it was more cliched than expected and I couldn't connect to any of the human characters. Whereas I connected a lot more to the humans in Song of the Sea cause they have ups and downs as characters and therefore easier to emotionally invest in than the stereotypical mom and dad here. My fears over the trailer were realised.

Could've been a great film about depression but dropped the ball for me in several ways on execution. Was overall mixed on it, saved from being negative when the ending finally recognised the emotions couldn't be that separated from each other. They spend so much time on exposition for how the brain works (kind of like Monsters Inc except not as creative) in painfully simplistic ways which is fine if you don't want to be realistic but then they go on breaking their internal logic like now suddenly an emotion can do things that other emotions do e.g.
sadness being assertive or getting things done
. Some bits are just straight up confusing like why
is the mom lead by sadness when she clearly is more a joy person
. Leading up to that was a frustrating watch about (some purposefully written) shallow characters that I couldn't care about, a lack of imagination on what the inside of a brain through the lens of a simplistic cartoon would be like (everything is balls!), and inconsistent characterisations of these emotion characters. I laughed at the opinions/facts joke, but that's about it. There's never any reason given to why
sadness
messes things up other than a contrived way to build conflict and move the plot along.
Could just be the depression as cause for everything not explained properly but the movie doesn't seem as consistent or coherent in its depiction of that.
I wish Pixar went the later Ghibli route of playing down the conflicts cause they have a problem making them feel genuine and weighty. As someone who's done a bit of psych, had my own personal problems with the dreams not relating to tackling current conscious issues rather than just nightmares, sleeping equivalent to all brain areas shutting down when it's exactly the opposite like how rest can help problem solving, islands of personality being way too fragile, and forgetting being some doomed black pit instead of presenting forgetting being an important part of humans to distinguish ourselves from robots where we keep only important bits in the brain and lose the garbage or how we can retrieve long forgotten memories. Just my issues with their executions.

Better than their recent output like Up or Brave, but not as impressed and still think Monster Inc, Ratatouille, The Incredibles, and Wall E are better.

gerg

There's never any reason given to why
sadness
messes things up other than a contrived way to build conflict and move the plot along.

Just to chime in on this point, I would argue that
Joy, not Sadness
is the one who messes things up, inasmuch as the main emergency in the film
(when Sadness and Joy go missing)
occurs precisely because
Joy tries to prevent Sadness from making Riley feel Sad

Hamlet

Clip for "Riley's First Date" (Inside Out Short)

Also interesting tidbits on the characters designs
Character art director Albert Lozano took attendees through the character design process, sharing references that informed the final looks of the emotions, which evolved after starting as ideas in basic, simple shapes. Joy was about being ageless, inspired by Audrey Hepburn and was given movements that took cues from gymnasts.

Sadness (voiced by Phyllis Smith) started with the idea of a teardrop, but evolved using early references from characters including Saturday Night Live's Debbi Downer and The Addams Family's Wednesday Addams. Anger (Lewis Black) was fairly clear — square, with a head that catches fire.

Work on Disgust (Mindy Kaling) was about finding a look and feel along the lines of characters such as April Ludgate from Parks and Recreation and Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The idea for Fear (Bill Hader) was to make him bug eyed, taking cues from Don Knotts and Mr. Bean.

For Riley, Pixar showed the audience a range of early possible looks that included pigtails and glasses. Lozano chuckled when he admitted that in the end, the character ended up looking a lot like Inside Out director Pete Docter's own daughter.

The Pizza Planet truck from Toy Story — which famously appears in cameos in Pixar films — can be found in one of the memory spheres in a sequence when Joy drops several spheres while trying to carry them back to Headquarters. And the formation of a dinosaur, which appears in the sequence when Riley and her family drive to their new home in San Francisco, is a nod to Pixar's next release, The Good Dinosaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom