• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Shooter 2 |OT| - Can You Make It Past The Asteroid Belt?

Barrett2

Very excited for this, loved the first.

I also finally got a pair of 5.1 surround sound headphones, so i can now experience the awesome sound they put in all their games. :)

Massa

I'm picking this up tomorrow (if it's $10). Still want to replay PJS though before I play it though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Can't wait. It seems like a decade has passed since Shooter 1. Jeez, world needs more Q-Games stuff.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I hate the PJ games' HUD. This one is better than the old black bar, but still is quite irritating. I still need to finish the first.

Oppo

Yeah I would have gone with "covered in amazing new fluids" for the title.

Really looking forward to this one, I thought Shooter was maybe tied with Monsters as the best in the PJ series, but it felt like it stopped just when things started to get interesting. The way they make the art style work with the fluid shaders is just fracking clever. It reminds me of some of the stuff in the I Am 8-bit artshow, but somehow folded back into a game again...

Also the game needs to come out so Dylan can stop being weird with his fancy camera, shooting the "Survivor Files" :)

Full Recovery said:
Glad it's $9.99, will buy.

Thats awesome and I might buy, but why does that scare me?

The first was $15 right? This is cheaper so it will have even shorter single player??????

Confirmation???

thnx

DoomGyver

scorpscarx said:
Thats awesome and I might buy, but why does that scare me?

The first was $15 right? This is cheaper so it will have even shorter single player??????

Confirmation???

thnx
The first was $9.99 as well, but with less content.

ijed

Dynamic fluids all over my face!

RustyO said:
Likewise, quite enjoyed the first one, so this will be a no-brainer purchase for me too.

Not sure if I care about multiplayer though.

We will playdate one day I promise!

MP sounds good though the couch co-op was super fun on the first one so looking forward to more of that.

jhawk6

Played through the first game and like it quite a bit. I will probably get this. Loved the fluid physics and coop from the first one the most.

$9.99 all over my face. This better be the number 1 game sold on PSN for March. I'm looking at you bunch of cheepos, only $9.99, only $9.99.

Pai Pai Master said:
It's been "delayed" so many times (it was supposed to come after Eden) that it's probably not gonna happen at this point.

supposedly it's being moved to their "series 2" stuff. all of which will be in 3D now instead of 2D.... supposedly.

i'm fuzzy on the details and google fails me, but at one point they talked about how they are almost done with "series 1" games and they are about to unveil "series 2". they said that either one of, or some of, their projects were put on hold and moved back to series 2 because they were more suited to 2D. don't think they would confirm or deny Dungeons being said title that was moved.

then there's the whole PixelJunk Lifelike thing that they announced and never went into detail on. hopefully we'll hear something at GDC but i somehow doubt it.

EDIT:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21808

KY: A new team has started in on the next PixelJunk project. We have not yet begun publicizing the game, but it is on schedule to be released in early 2009. Another title in the series is Dungeons, which we announced at back at the Game Developers Conference.

This is a PixelJunk installment, but we are planning to spend more time on the development, so the release will follow after the fourth PixelJunk game in the series.

2D graphics have been a hallmark of the series so far, but we are looking to incorporate 3D graphics and take the series in new directions.

I got to try a few rounds of the new competitive multiplayer mode at the playstation blog meetup tonight, it was cool! When you are sneaking around and get spotted by an enemy a big exclamation mark appears Metal Gear style over your ship, nice touch.

kassatsu

Banned
duckroll said:
That was a rhetorical question. It should be up within 3 hours, I'm just impatient. :p
Ah what time does the Asian store update, I have always wondered. Japan is 1/2pm JST

duckroll

kassatsu said:
Ah what time does the Asian store update, I have always wondered. Japan is 1/2pm JST

There's no set time. But in general, if it doesn't update by 2pm GMT+8, then I expect it by 5pm or 6pm.

Vard

Will be getting this for more co-op fun, and I'm sure they've only improved the formula. I loved the local co-op play in the first; it's too bad it doesn't have online co-op as well this time around though.

daffy

Banned
Can't wait for those impressions. Still have to get all the survivors from the prequel. Is there any sort of continuity or is this standalone?

kassatsu

Banned
FTH said:
Can't wait for those impressions. Still have to get all the survivors from the prequel. Is there any sort of continuity or is this standalone?
Starts right where the last one leaves off. There is a "previously on" thing at the beginning.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Just got back from the Playstation Community meetup event thing, where the first 100 people got a free voucher for PJS2 :D

Downloading now ;D

Met a lot of cool people, and got eliminated in the second round of the tournament they had there for Shooter 2's competitive multiplayer. I took some advice from Torgo (PS Nation) and I think his advice was a little too advanced for my own knowledge base. Oh well.

Looking forward to playing later today after it finishes downloading and I go to sleep, though :x

duckroll

Beat 2 stages so far. It's pretty awesome. It's the exact formula as the first game, but with new surprises and gameplay elements. It's also a little harder this time, because the game doesn't need to do basic tutorial style stages from the start.

I tried to play some online battling, but it wasn't picking up anyone at all. I imagine most of those picking it up early will be playing the adventure mode first. Should be able to get opponents later on when the game is out on the US store and more people pick it up... I hope.

kassatsu

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
Met a lot of cool people, and got eliminated in the second round of the tournament they had there for Shooter 2's competitive multiplayer. I took some advice from Torgo (PS Nation) and I think his advice was a little too advanced for my own knowledge base. Oh well.

Looking forward to playing later today after it finishes downloading and I go to sleep, though :x
That is your problem, he can't hang with the big boys :p

kassatsu

Banned
duckroll said:
Beat 2 stages so far. It's pretty awesome. It's the exact formula as the first game, but with new surprises and gameplay elements. It's also a little harder this time, because the game doesn't need to do basic tutorial style stages from the start.

I tried to play some online battling, but it wasn't picking up anyone at all. I imagine most of those picking it up early will be playing the adventure mode first. Should be able to get opponents later on when the game is out on the US store and more people pick it up... I hope.
Hop in league again duckroll if you wanna try it out. I will be gentle :)

duckroll said:
Does kassatsu work for Q? Why is his ranking all maxed out on the Pixeljunk Shooter 2 leaderboards? :p
I am probably the only reviewer that actually took the time to fully play the game ;D

duckroll

kassatsu said:
I an probably the only reviewer that actually took the time to fully play the game ;D

Oh cool. How did online mode work for reviews? Did you guys just arrange to play games together? I don't really want to get my ass kicked at the moment, so I think I'll wait to play against noobs tomorrow or so. Thanks for the offer though. :)

The online set up seems pretty cool, and more substantial than I imagined. I'm definitely digging this new installment of the game. Hope Q announces more cool stuff shortly, now that this is finally out.

kassatsu

Banned
duckroll said:
Oh cool. How did online mode work for reviews? Did you guys just arrange to play games together? I don't really want to get my ass kicked at the moment, so I think I'll wait to play against noobs tomorrow or so. Thanks for the offer though. :)
I played with some guys from Q-Games nightly for about a week. Not sure about other outlets. The person reviewing for IGN has 4 games played in league mode, take that for what you will, I have over 60 :)

duckroll

kassatsu said:
I played with some guys from Q-Games nightly for about a week. Not sure about other outlets. The person reviewing for IGN has 4 games played in league mode, take that for what you will, I have over 60 :)

Hopefully the reviewer community isn't indicative of how people will feel about this in general. I'll like for there to be a pretty solid community for the online mode to convince Q to continue exploring more online multiplayer elements in their future titles. I wonder why there still isn't online co-op though. It was missing in Eden, and missing in Shooter 2 as well. What gives?

kassatsu

Banned
duckroll said:
Hopefully the reviewer community isn't indicative of how people will feel about this in general.
Well they could have played in friend mode, but then they aren't unlocking new items and stuff. I wouldn't really trust their reviews on the multiplayer because they hardly scratched the surface. Half the fun is in the stuff you unlock. The majority of reviews never got past the Asteroid Belt, so they only have half the maps.

Top Bottom