• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Shooter 2 |OT| - Can You Make It Past The Asteroid Belt?

duckroll

Finally managed to get a single league game going. Managed to win too. So I suppose there's nothing wrong with the connection, it's just that very few people are playing the online mode to begin with.

Atruvius

I liked the first PJ Shooter very much and I will probably buy this today. I believe it will sell atleast in the EU because it seems to be cheaper than regular PSN games, only €7.99.

Fixed1979

I've been waiting for this for awhile and purchased it last night. Of course due to the hockey game and Rift I didn't get a chance to play. Love PJ and I keep (a false) hope that they'll patch Racers to make it less painful to restart events (yes I still load it up on occasion).

kassatsu

Banned
Nakiro said:
What's the Stat tracking like? Does it show win/losses? How many bets you won etc, what can you see when you look someone else up?
you can't se others stats. there are 5 pages of your stats though

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I 100% the first game, but didn't really like it as much after the first "world".... think I'll pass or wait for a discount.

RustyO

Vexidus said:
Yeah, it's super quick and easy to buy things. Perhaps a little too easy, lol..

I was being a bit sarcastic because it was denying adding funds to wallet... then works fine a an hour later. Can be a very fickle system at times.

In other news, got to the first boss... and it hanged (total system hard freeze) right at the end of the fight.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'll probably buy it out of support for the developer and PSN. I liked the concept for the 1st game but it grew old far too fast and whatever novelty it had didn't live past the first world. Here's hoping the 2nd one will be better.

Wow, this game is way harder than first one. I'm a bit ashamed to say it but I was stuck in the first bosses' level for like an hour or something. Kept getting killed stupidly at the last second in sections...also whenever I get the water suit or there's a water plant, I tend to want to fill up the whole level.

see5harp

Crewnh said:
Wow, this game is way harder than first one. I'm a bit ashamed to say it but I was stuck in the first bosses' level for like an hour or something. Kept getting killed stupidly at the last second in sections...also whenever I get the water suit or there's a water plant, I tend to want to fill up the whole level.

I actually appreciate the increase in difficulty because the first one was over too quickly, but Pixeljunk really need to work on getting some of the levels down in length. I had some of the same issues with Eden (although that still stands as my favorite Pixeljunk game). Love the game so far but it's a little sad to see so many familiar names on the leaderboards. How fewer than 6,000 people have bought this game is strange to me.

Atruvius

I am really enjoying this game, but it feels harder than the first one. I just hate those bullet hell machines, I usually die near those. I just hated the level I just completed, Know your alien liquid. It took me 40 minutes to complete it and I don't know how many times I died in the last section. Every time I died, I just started yell curse words and I don't even normally curse. Hopefully there isn't anymore of these frustrating levels.

DoomGyver

BeeDog said:
FFS, can't even find ONE opponent to fight with. :/
Yeah I had this problem last night too, although being 4am EST time probably didn't help any either, haha. Friends list is probably the way to go.

see5harp

Atruvius said:
I am really enjoying this game, but it feels harder than the first one. I just hate those bullet hell machines, I usually die near those. I just hated the level I just completed, Know your alien liquid. It took me 40 minutes to complete it and I don't know how many times I died in the last section. Every time I died, I just started yell curse words and I don't even normally curse. Hopefully there isn't anymore of these frustrating levels.

Right before bed, after getting raped repeatedly by those machines due to the slow movement of your ship, I decided to try something different.
You can use your grapple to stop the shots, pull out and SHOOT THE CORE.

Mihku

Killed the first boss, it's definitely a bit harder and more frustrating at times. And what is up with the Hunger Suit, it feels completely out of place. Both the gameplay mechanic and the restricted movement don't resemble typical PJ Shooter gameplay at all. Really don't like those levels, hope there aren't too many of them.

ijed

Mihku said:
And what is up with the Hunger Suit, it feels completely out of place. Both the gameplay mechanic and the restricted movement don't resemble typical PJ Shooter gameplay at all. Really don't like those levels, hope there aren't too many of them.
Yeah like the hommage but doesn't really work with the rest of the game (only played the first few levels so far though).
Love the Amoeba though - Peter Liepa would be proud :D

see5harp

Mihku said:
Killed the first boss, it's definitely a bit harder and more frustrating at times. And what is up with the Hunger Suit, it feels completely out of place. Both the gameplay mechanic and the restricted movement don't resemble typical PJ Shooter gameplay at all. Really don't like those levels, hope there aren't too many of them.

I like the actual puzzle elements of figuring out which blocks to push, but the movement with that ship was absolutely horrible. Maybe if they had designed specific levels that were all straight edges or a grid based design it may have been less jarring.

Shearie

There's a couple of questions I have about the MP of this game that are driviving me crazy since I can't seem to get anybody on my friends list to help test them for myself.

Can you kill the other player with your spin or spin dash or is it just from the missiles deflected from the spin?

If you're grappled by the other player, can you spin or spin dash out of the grapple?

I'm a couple levels into episode 5 now and loving it so far. There has definitely been a bit of a difficulty bump, but that's fine with me.

Only real issue is not being able to find any multiplayer games.

see5harp said:
Maybe if they had designed specific levels that were all straight edges or a grid based design it may have been less jarring.
I think that would have made a huge difference and alleviated how limited the movement feels.

DoomGyver

I just beat the game... so you don't get an ending until you collect all of the treasure? lame. A couple things bothered me, one was the digger ship as someone already mentioned. I thought it was clumsy, perhaps instead of jaws it could have had a large drill on the front? Two, I absolutely hate when there is lava that I can't see.. the tiniest bit of lava and it blows my ship up.

Never understood why when I get in the lava suit I'm still not allowed to touch lava. I mean I'm spraying lava everywhere but I can't touch it or death? Another thing is the decoy miners that turn into bats, that got me a few times and it felt like a cheap death.

Haven't played mutliplayer yet, gonna go get the 9 or so treasures that I need to find before I do that. But overall it was a good experience, worth the $10 and I really liked the last world. The last world kind of made up for the "more of the same" experience I got from the first world.

LaneDS

Length wise, how does this stack up against the first? I really enjoyed it but at the same time felt a little ripped off. OP says 15 levels, but approximately how long did it take most of you to clear the game?

I'll be buying it either way, but I'm curious all the same.

DoomGyver

I'd say it's probably about a 4 hours game if you run through it not worrying about getting all of the survivors or treasures. If you plan on 100% on a world before you move on it's probably about a 6 hour game. I only have 9 treasures to get in the last world and I haven't touched MP yet. More content than the first, some new mechanics to play with. They stayed with the PJS formula so if you liked PJS1 you'll probably like PJS2, don't expect anything mindbogglingly different.

conman

Am I the only one finding this game unnecessarily hard? It's got an old-school sense of punishment. Die a few stages in and you have to repeat all of them over again. I can respect that, but I also realize just how spoiled I've gotten by modern game design (i.e., plenty of checkpoints).

DoomGyver

conman said:
Am I the only one finding this game unnecessarily hard? It's got an old-school sense of punishment. Die a few stages in and you have to repeat all of them over again. I can respect that, but I also realize just how spoiled I've gotten by modern game design (i.e., plenty of checkpoints).
You never go a few stages back.. it's always just the one. Unless you get the game over screen, but that only happened to me once throughout the entire game. It is harder than the PJS1 though, but not irritatingly hard.

LaneDS

Full Recovery said:
I'd say it's probably about a 4 hours game if you run through it not worrying about getting all of the survivors or treasures. If you plan on 100% on a world before you move on it's probably about a 6 hour game. I only have 9 treasures to get in the last world and I haven't touched MP yet. More content than the first, some new mechanics to play with. They stayed with the PJS formula so if you liked PJS1 you'll probably like PJS2, don't expect anything mindbogglingly different.

Cool, even if i ultimately didn't need more convincing, this is good to know. Thanks.

Not sure if posted, in the boot screen there is a Minecraft reference:

http://realitypales.com/?p=994

DSCN1008-300x225.jpg

RustyO

Mihku said:
And what is up with the Hunger Suit, it feels completely out of place. Both the gameplay mechanic and the restricted movement don't resemble typical PJ Shooter gameplay at all. Really don't like those levels, hope there aren't too many of them.

Yeah, not a fan of the hunger suit either.

ijed said:
Love the Amoeba though - Peter Liepa would be proud :D

I was going to post the exact same thing, reminded me sooooo much of BD, took me back it did, ah the memories (wipes tear from corner of eye)

Atruvius

see5harp said:
Right before bed, after getting raped repeatedly by those machines due to the slow movement of your ship, I decided to try something different.
You can use your grapple to stop the shots, pull out and SHOOT THE CORE.

WHAT!? That level would've been so easy if I'd know that. There should have been some kinod ofa tutorial on how to destroy your enemies. Well, no I know how to deal with those.

duckroll

I'm -one- league match away from getting off the Asteroid. Man, the multiplayer is pretty challenging. Even against an opponent I could totally "own" in one match, when we get rematched, it's nice to see they can bounce back and kick my ass if I'm overconfident. The dynamics of the two round system is pretty good too, since I've made some really late comebacks, and I've seen opponents make insane comebacks before. From 4-0 to 3-4 in the final round? Yes! Lol.

The single player is a lot more challenging this time round too. It makes the gameplay much more substantial. In the final episode, I'm basically done for the day after beating a single stage, as opposed to a set of stages. It feels like enough of an achievement. I've noticed that in PJS2, stages average about 30-40 mins, while in PJS1, stages averaged like 10 mins or less. With later stages being at most 15-20 mins. I find the level design in general much more engaging this time round. Good stuff.

I felt the first was undercooked but very fun with a great concept. Well I'm absolutely loving PJS2. It gets more and more interesting as you progress and the increased difficulty makes things a lot more intense. Its 99% always my fault/avoidable when I die, usually because of a lack of a patience. Boss battles are superb, I died of laughter on the second one. Also the light/dark stuff is incredible, only 2 stages left before I beat the game. I will probably attempt to get the jewels at some point but I feel more intimidated going through the levels again compared to the first.

I'm down for some Multiplayer tonight or tomorrow as well.

Man, this game is so much harder than the first. It's not unfair or anything, but it took me by surprise (as the first game was super easy).

Just finished the second boss.

Not sure if I just suck (I do, according to the rankings :p ), but for the first time in the game I had really problems and the level took me an hour D:
Maybe it's because I jumped directly to the boss level in that episode...

I actually recorded my final victory with the ingame video capture&upload tools :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGH7qKNpebg
Enjoy :p ... and laugh because of the part at the end... it's 2 AM here and I did not realize what I was supposed to do :lol

DoomGyver

Finally collected all of the treasures and ending spoiler
completed road to a new dawn, was that it? You escape the planet and then "Fin." appears on the screen? Okay

Oh and the end game credits are Loooooooooooooooong.

Time for some MP.

DoomGyver

That's twice now I've gotten "poor connection quality" and the game ends. Both times I was playing someone from CA.

DoomGyver

Netcode definitely needs some work. two thirds of the games I get matched up with disconnect within 30 seconds.

duckroll

I've never had a game disconnect, but I only seem to be able to match up with Japanese players in league mode. I'm starting to think my inability to find many players has to do with the fact that the league mode matching is regioned? Anyone have any idea? I've only fought against someone from UK and someone from New Zealand once, and like 10+ other times it is against Japanese players. Even during times when there should be tons of Euro or US players around, I find it hard to get matched easily, and even then only against Japanese players...

kassatsu

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Netcode definitely needs some work. two thirds of the games I get matched up with disconnect within 30 seconds.
I play games from US to JP all the time and there is no disconnect. :x

Netcode seems fine to me. Canada does have some shitty internet though :)

duckroll

kassatsu said:
I play games from US to JP all the time and there is no disconnect. :x

Netcode seems fine to me. Canada does have some shitty internet though :)

Weird. I wonder why I haven't been able to match with a single US player so far in league... No problems in friend battles though.

kassatsu

Banned
duckroll said:
Weird. I wonder why I haven't been able to match with a single US player so far in league... No problems in friend battles though.
Dunno, mostly I am getting US/CA, but I did have atleast 1 JP player tonight. Not to mention all of the games I played against Q-Games staff.

Shearie said:
Can you kill the other player with your spin or spin dash or is it just from the missiles deflected from the spin?

If you're grappled by the other player, can you spin or spin dash out of the grapple?
1. Yes you can, it is hard to do though since it doesn't do much damage.

2. Yes, that is the only way to get out i think.

duckroll

kassatsu said:
Dunno, mostly I am getting US/CA, but I did have atleast 1 JP player tonight. Not to mention all of the games I played against Q-Games staff.

Do you think it's possible the league is regioned by version? Or is there some latency check which just makes it very rare for them to match players across continents?

Tntnnbltn

50:59.16 on one of the Episode 6 levels.

I won't complete a level without perfect survivor count. I would've rage quit, except for the fact that I'd have to do the whole thing again.

duckroll

I just wasted over an hour on the final stage, and I still failed to beat it. The final boss is TOUGH. Pretty awesome design though. Oh well, I'll try again later.

I've only gotten into a match with someone once and that time i got a "poor connection quality" message halfway through the battle. :/

SolidusDave said:
Not sure if I just suck (I do, according to the rankings :p ), but for the first time in the game I had really problems and the level took me an hour D:
Maybe it's because I jumped directly to the boss level in that episode...
I was stuck on him for a while as well. Those bloody white ball things that bounce off the walls were my undoing every time.

Top Bottom