• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

New pizza for new page:

pizzza.jpg

Sliver

Can't wait to go back to school and eat at the awesome local pizza place, Pizza Nico in Moorhead. I mean just look at this shit:

IMG_4983.JPG

thatbox

Banned
7811171680_cd563d9eba_c.jpg

From the only place that does Chicago style around here. So good. (This thread is what made me get it - it's a twenty minute drive each way to pick it up!)

7811171680_cd563d9eba_c.jpg

From the only place that does Chicago style around here. So good. (This thread is what made me get it - it's a twenty minute drive each way to pick it up!)

Next week I'm going to try to make a Chicago style pizza.
What's the crust like?
It look almost like a pie casing in that picture.

thatbox

Banned
Next week I'm going to try to make a Chicago style pizza.
What's the crust like?
It look almost like a pie casing in that picture.

It's a lot like the legit Chicago Lou Malnati's I've had before:

756783300_6750e34c50.jpg

It's not crispy like pie crust; it's thick enough to be nice and bready, and has a really great garlic taste. I've made the style at home before and it turned out really well, make sure to let us know about yours!

Shoogoo

WCrj

Jupiter Pizzeria in Pula, Croatia. That restaurant is ranked #3 in Pula on TripAdvisor for a reason.

That glass of beer looks ridiculous compared to that monster! 9,60€ and impossible to finish it alone, I love Croatia!

WCrj

Jupiter Pizzeria in Pula, Croatia. That restaurant is ranked #3 in Pula on TripAdvisor for a reason.

That glass of beer looks ridiculous compared to that monster! 9,60€ and impossible to finish it alone, I love Croatia!

Oh that crust looks really crispy on the outside!

Oh god yes. I'm the only one I know who loves anchovies on pizza. Before I tried it, I always thought it was some sort of joke and not an actual thing people (well, not very many people...) ate.

If I want to go super extra double salty, I add olives, too. Mmmmm.

Anchovies are really underated as a pizza topping.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I went to the pizza hut here in Vietnam cause fuck it I wanted to see what it was like, and ended up with a meat lovers that had hotdogs inside the crust. Not chunks, not ground up hotdogs, full on hotdogs in the crust. Unfortunately the hotdogs were undercooked and it wasn't as amazing as I'd hoped, but the concept itself is still awesome. The chicken wings with a side of garlic rice as an appetizer was far more delicious.

I went to the pizza hut here in Vietnam cause fuck it I wanted to see what it was like, and ended up with a meat lovers that had hotdogs inside the crust. Not chunks, not ground up hotdogs, full on hotdogs in the crust. Unfortunately the hotdogs were undercooked and it wasn't as amazing as I'd hoped, but the concept itself is still awesome. The chicken wings with a side of garlic rice as an appetizer was far more delicious.

That sounds kinda disgusting to be honest.
Sometimes, less is better.

Zaptruder

Banned
Anchovies are really underated as a pizza topping.

Depends how they're distributed. They're a good salt kick, but if it's the whole thing lying there by itself, and you bite into it, fuck that noise man.

I prefer pepperoni. Quite a good salty kick as well, but less pungent, less salty, and easier to distribute over a pizza.

Xun

WCrj

That looks superb.

A beer and a pizza abroad.

Bliss.

GhaleonEB

Come on, Ghaleon. No need to lie to us. We're all friends here in the pizza OT.

Okay, you got me. My actual plan is to get a (very) large pizza and eat it over the next few days, 2-3 slices per day. It's a tradition every time the girls leave town. So, pizza tonight. And tomorrow, and the next day....

One of the measures of a good pizza is that it needs to be both great cold and re-heated, and the local pizzaria passes that test. Left to my own devices, I'd be eating pizza 4-5 times a week. And also, weight a lot more than I do.

MrBig

Okay, you got me. My actual plan is to get a (very) large pizza and eat it over the next few days, 2-3 slices per day. It's a tradition every time the girls leave town. So, pizza tonight. And tomorrow, and the next day....

One of the measures of a good pizza is that it needs to be both great cold and re-heated, and the local pizzaria passes that test. Left to my own devices, I'd be eating pizza 4-5 times a week. And also, weight a lot more than I do.

I've done this recently. Reheating slices for 30 seconds in a microwave and then a minute on both sides on a griddle has been great

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

One of the measures of a good pizza is that it needs to be both great cold and re-heated, and the local pizzaria passes that test.
I don't mind eating pizza that's been stored in the fridge for a day or so, but wouldn't keeping it there for several days make it a bit soggy or flavorless? For I assume you aren't gonna leave it out on a counter or sideboard for any fly, mold or rat to feast? Since you've done this before you have probably got some trick to keep it fresh though.

As for other things, I've been using Sara Lee pizza kit lately. I think it's quite nice, though the crust tends to become a bit too hard. Does anyone else here use this brand?

GhaleonEB

Rösti;41191334 said:
I don't mind eating pizza that's been stored in the fridge for a day or so, but wouldn't keeping it there for several days make it a bit soggy or flavorless? For I assume you aren't gonna leave it out on a counter or sideboard for any fly, mold or rat to feast? Since you've done this before you have probably got some trick to keep it fresh though.
Nah, it holds up pretty well. I paper towel the grease off before wrapping the slices in foil, which prevents the pizza from getting soggy/greasy while it's chilling. If anything, it dries out a touch. I usually reheat it in the toaster oven to get it kind of toasty and crunchy anyways; I prefer crispy to soggy pizza.

But then, I'll freely admit I'm quite flexible when it comes to pizza. Two day old pizza? Sure, why not. It's better than not having pizza.

Mm, a large Pizza Hut Meat Lovers all to myself.

/hateshield

One of the best things about leftover pizza is overcooking it in the microwave so the cheese gets hard and rubbery.

matt360

Yeah, on a second though that infopic is a tiny bit racist (most popular topping in Japan is eel! Those zany japanese!)

Been in Japan for 7 years and never once seen eel on a pizza. Not to say it doesn't exist, but there's no way it's the most popular topping here.

That said, pizza in Japan sucks. Looking at all the pictures of delicious pizza in this thread is killing me. I know I've ranted on GAF before about the shitty quality of pizza in Japan, but I'm really kind of bitter about it I guess.

There is one place here in Hiroshima called Pizza Riva that cooks excellent Neapolitan style pizzas, but they are sold at extortionist prices. We're talking about $30 for a 10 inch pie with no toppings. It's easily the best pizza in town, but it's so expensive that I can only justify going about once a year.

Delivery also costs about $30 for what would be considered an extra small back in the States. We do have Pizza Hut here, and it tastes ok, but again, the price.

There are also no ovens in Japanese houses and apartments. So basically no baking. We have a really nice microwave with a bake setting, but it seems there's no way for it not to come out soggy.

I've never had Costco pizza before, but we're getting one in Hiroshima early next year and I'm giddy over the fact that I'll be able to get some halfway decent pizza at reasonable prices.

I do love living in Japan, but if you're big into beer and pizza, you will be very disappointed.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Oh man. I really have a wild craving for a Chicago Style Pie, now. I lived in Chicago for about 2 years and the Deep Dish pies were one of the only things I enjoyed in that city. Sorry Chi-Town GAF the extreme cold and then extreme heat in the summer just wasn't for me. The Pizza certainly was though!

I usually enjoy the polar opposite, NY style. But every now and again I see a mouth watering pic like the one posted earlier and instantly NEED one injected right into my veins.

I just need to figure out a great chi town crust and sauce recipe. Anyone?

Pizza has brought sorrow upon me and my family.

My mother came down to visit me today before the first day of classes tomorrow. She was only able to stay one day because she has to work tomorrow.
It's a long drive for her and I had to work most of the day, so she did nothing but sit in my apartment for 8 hours.

When I finally was released from my wage-slave position, she thought it would be nice if we could go to a restaurant to eat before she had to head back.

We ended up going to a pizzeria and ordering the "Mediterranean pizza" which, in keeping with its name, clearly was created with a generous amount of olive oil.

It was extremely hot when it arrived at our table. On her first bite my mother got a piece of cheese stuck behind her teeth and was scalded on the roof of her mouth. If that wasn't enough, I don't believe that she liked the pizza at all, which I found rather heartbreaking because it was $20 and she spent all of over money on gas to come and see me.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't like it that much either, but I refused to show any negativity or disdain for her generosity and ate half of it at the table. Upon leaving I immediately fell ill. I managed to ward off the storm until she left, and then to the bathroom I ran. My stomach remains in rebellion as I type this. I'm worried. Tomorrow if things have not resolved there could be disastrous complications for the first day of classes. I never wanted this. I never asked for this. All I wanted was to not shit myself in Chemistry 101. Is that so much to fucking ask?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Pizza is the only thing in the world that I can eat a whole large thing of by myself, in one sitting.

Sure, I feel horrible after it but during... OH MY FUCKING GOD I CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT.

MegalonJJ

Banned
For those in London, Rossopomodoro do really good Neapolitan pizzas. Highly recommend them if you like that style of pizza (it's my favourite).

Dresden

Pizza has brought sorrow upon me and my family.

My mother came down to visit me today before the first day of classes tomorrow. She was only able to stay one day because she has to work tomorrow.
It's a long drive for her and I had to work most of the day, so she did nothing but sit in my apartment for 8 hours.

When I finally was released from my wage-slave position, she thought it would be nice if we could go to a restaurant to eat before she had to head back.

We ended up going to a pizzeria and ordering the "Mediterranean pizza" which, in keeping with its name, clearly was created with a generous amount of olive oil.

It was extremely hot when it arrived at our table. On her first bite my mother got a piece of cheese stuck behind her teeth and was scalded on the roof of her mouth. If that wasn't enough, I don't believe that she liked the pizza at all, which I found rather heartbreaking because it was $20 and she spent all of over money on gas to come and see me.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't like it that much either, but I refused to show any negativity or disdain for her generosity and ate half of it at the table. Upon leaving I immediately fell ill. I managed to ward off the storm until she left, and then to the bathroom I ran. My stomach remains in rebellion as I type this. I'm worried. Tomorrow if things have not resolved there could be disastrous complications for the first day of classes. I never wanted this. I never asked for this. All I wanted was to not shit myself in Chemistry 101. Is that so much to fucking ask?

not gonna lie, the combination of the post's tone + username amused me.

n0n44m

2012-08-1920.38.45uyft0.jpg

Grill pizza!

so had some leftover dough from a couple of days ago ...

so when we were BBQing yesterday, I quickly baked this one on the grill as soon as the coals were ready ... makes for a nice appetizer :)

could've spread out the dough some more and arrange the cheese more evenly but I was in a hurry ;)

just form your dough, coat one side with olive oil, throw the coated side down on the grill above the hot coals, then bake for 30~60 seconds

now take it off on a plate, coat the unbaked top with olive oil, flip it and put the sauce and toppings on the baked side

now put it back on top of the coals for 30~60 seconds to bake the bottom, then put it in the corner and bake for another minute or two with the lid closed (assuming you got a Weber)

think I'll make some larger ones later this week :)

panty

It's... pizza time.. again.

7823856402_29cfa1e127_z.jpg

Crappy phone pic doesn't make it justice. Kebab, pepperoni, onion, pineapple, double cheese, garlic + oregano.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to go back to school and eat at the awesome local pizza place, Pizza Nico in Moorhead. I mean just look at this shit:
Aw damn, a poster from Fargo/Moorhead! I've never had their pizza, I've been thinking of trying it. Have you had Duane's? If not, rectify that immediately.

Top Bottom