• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

Razek

Banned
THIS THREAD. I tried to stay away but noooooooooo, had to be on the Gaf front page. Now I'm going to be having a pizza tonight again.

Okay, my chicago style pizza was an unmitigated disaster.

Sad dinner consisting of hot dogs instead :(

Sorry to hear that. It's a pain when you put in a lot of effort for something and it doesn't turn out how you want. Especially if you're left hungry!

thatbox

Banned
Dough looked done on the outside, but was way undercooked on the inside. I think I made the crust a bit too thick. The tomato sauce probably also contributed to the doughness of the pizza, as it was a bit too liquidy.

You can cook the dough some first, before putting all the wet stuff in it. You can do it in the oven or on the stovetop! Also, with the cheese underneath the tomato sauce, you can generally leave it in longer if you need to.

GhaleonEB

I need to make a pizza soon. Will post pics. But to whet your appetite, here is the one of the last ones I made:

I finally found a pepperoni that can curl and be all delicious, so I will have that next time :)

Really great looking pizza; the proportions off the components are well balanced.

LuffyZoro

I had pizza last night from a local place, it was delicious. Meat lovers with beef, sausage, ham, gyro, and chicken.

azB49.jpg

ElRenoRaven

that's a whole lotta cheese!

And there is nothing wrong with that. Once in awhile you have to have one that has so much damn cheese you're backed up for a week. But of course you can't do that too often. But once or twice a year I say go for it and pile as much cheese as you can handle.

n0n44m

/revive

2012-08-2720.23.0433sgg.jpg

2012-08-2720.45.19wjsdz.jpg

[ bell pepper, onion, cheese, chorizo /// cheese, tomato, mozzarella with Prosciutto di Parma added after cooking ]

thin crust = best crust indeed

n0n44m

Kudos!
How did you make them?

5138_240dfs21.jpg

cheapo €70 pizza oven that is about to fall apart after 3 years of weekly usage :p (joints cracking, plastic melting etc)

+ the NY pizza dough recipe from slice

-----

you think 275c is enough for a regular oven + stone to bake good pizza?

this cheapo thing goes a lot higher but it only bakes small pizzas and my version isn't for sale anymore as it wasn't exactly compliant with some EU safety regulations (AKA gets way hotter than allowed lol)

so either I buy a new small oven for €150ish or I get a large stone for our regular oven ...

5138_240dfs21.jpg

cheapo €70 pizza oven that is about to fall apart after 3 years of weekly usage :p (joints cracking, plastic melting etc)

+ the NY pizza dough recipe from slice

-----

you think 275c is enough for a regular oven + stone to bake good pizza?

this cheapo thing goes a lot higher but it only bakes small pizzas and my version isn't for sale anymore as it wasn't exactly compliant with some EU safety regulations (AKA gets way hotter than allowed lol)

so either I buy a new small oven for €150ish or I get a large stone for our regular oven ...

Celcius?
Yeah, it should work.
An alternative to a pizza stone is just getting a clean, smooth, steel plate to cook your pizza on.
The metal will heat up a lot more than a pizza stone (don't worry about it melting, your oven isn't hot enough for that) and in at lower heats.

n0n44m

OK cool :)

already found some webshop that sells custom sized pizza stones, so I'll be ordering one once the old oven finally breaks apart ...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Oh god yes. I'm the only one I know who loves anchovies on pizza. Before I tried it, I always thought it was some sort of joke and not an actual thing people (well, not very many people...) ate.

They just add such a wonderful complexity to the pizza as a whole.

Made a pie tonight with green peppers, onion, black olives, garlic, fresh basil, anchovies, salami, and mozz on a wheat crust.

I've been on a diet for the past 24 days. I have about 66 days to go(I'm on a 90 day cut). But when I finish(or if I quit) you better bet your ass one of the first things I'm going to eat is a pizza. It's going to be a good one, I'm going to stuff myself, and I'm going to feel so good afterward, yessss.

I need some suggestions for making pizza straight up on a grill. I'm going to camping next week and I'd like to make one. I can make dough from scratch like a beast so it's really just the cooking I need help with.

f0nz0

I need some suggestions for making pizza straight up on a grill. I'm going to camping next week and I'd like to make one. I can make dough from scratch like a beast so it's really just the cooking I need help with.

I'd suggest a pizza stone, gets your crust nice and you don't have to cook one side of the dough first then flip over to put toppings like if you when to cook directly on the grills

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'd suggest a pizza stone, gets your crust nice and you don't have to cook one side of the dough first then flip over to put toppings like if you when to cook directly on the grills

But the flavor/texture combo that direct method provides is, like, 75% of why grilled pizza is so good.

Grzi

Shit, I had no idea this thread existed, I'll definitely be checking it out from time to time.
Anyway, pizza is my favorite food, I love it, eat it at least once a week, this thread made me order pizza and now I'm waiting for it, looking for stuff to watch while I'm eating.

I think I fell in love with pizza as a kid, watching TMNT (as did probably a lot of you guys), but since my mother loved to spoil me, she let me eat pizza all the time.
It never stopped either, there were times during high school where I ate a whole pizza every day for a couple of months (never got fat though, I sure love my metabolism).
I almost exclusively eat pizza Margherita, I just love the simplicity and the richness of flavor you can achieve with only three ingredients, basically.

Anyway, here are some pics:

This is the only picture of a pizza I made I could find (on my girlfriend's Instagram):

pizza.jpg

It's a Sicilian style Margherita made in an old Italian pan that makes the best pizza crust for me.
There's two types of Mozzarella on it (aged and fresh), and some grated Grana Padano that I sprinkled on it after it came out of the oven.

And here are pictures of the best pizza I ever had in my life:

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

It's from a pizzeria called Karijola, in Zagreb, Croatia.
The pizza on the first picture is a Margherita with some cherry tomatoes added, and the second pizza is their house special - pizza Karijola, with a Margherita base, Prosciutto, cherry tomatoes and rocket (you can also see my regular Margherita in the background).

Their style is a bit weird, but extremely tasty: they use dry Mozzarella in combination with Mozzarella di Bufala (Buffalo Mozzarella), so it's pretty cheesy unlike the typical Neapolitan pizza, although the crust is very similar, it' very light and crunchy. They don't use a lot of sauce, but there's olive oil on the pizza so it's not dry.
If anyone ever visits Zagreb, this is the place where you want to eat pizza.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
My fellow Americans, tomorrow, September 5th is a very important day: National Cheese Pizza Day.

Shit, I had no idea this thread existed, I'll definitely be checking it out from time to time.
Anyway, pizza is my favorite food, I love it, eat it at least once a week, this thread made me order pizza and now I'm waiting for it, looking for stuff to watch while I'm eating.

I think I fell in love with pizza as a kid, watching TMNT (as did probably a lot of you guys), but since my mother loved to spoil me, she let me eat pizza all the time.
It never stopped either, there were times during high school where I ate a whole pizza every day for a couple of months (never got fat though, I sure love my metabolism).
I almost exclusively eat pizza Margherita, I just love the simplicity and the richness of flavor you can achieve with only three ingredients, basically.

Anyway, here are some pics:

This is the only picture of a pizza I made I could find (on my girlfriend's Instagram):

pizza.jpg

It's a Sicilian style Margherita made in an old Italian pan that makes the best pizza crust for me.
There's two types of Mozzarella on it (aged and fresh), and some grated Grana Padano that I sprinkled on it after it came out of the oven.

And here are pictures of the best pizza I ever had in my life:

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

It's from a pizzeria called Karijola, in Zagreb, Croatia.
The pizza on the first picture is a Margherita with some cherry tomatoes added, and the second pizza is their house special - pizza Karijola, with a Margherita base, Prosciutto, cherry tomatoes and rocket (you can also see my regular Margherita in the background).

Their style is a bit weird, but extremely tasty: they use dry Mozzarella in combination with Mozzarella di Bufala (Buffalo Mozzarella), so it's pretty cheesy unlike the typical Neapolitan pizza, although the crust is very similar, it' very light and crunchy. They don't use a lot of sauce, but there's olive oil on the pizza so it's not dry.
If anyone ever visits Zagreb, this is the place where you want to eat pizza.
Welcome to the thread!
Those pizzas do look really good, I'll be sure to check that place out when I head out to Croatia.

My fellow Americans, tomorrow, September 5th is a very important day: National Cheese Pizza Day.
I had no idea this was even a thing.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's pizza night! About to feast like a king.

Tr4nce

I'm sorry for the late reply, but I promised that I would post a picture of some Italian pizza's, once I'd returned from my holiday in Italy. In Riva del Garda to be precise. I came back in August, but now I finally have my holiday pictures sorted. This picture was made in a little pizza shop in the city of Verona. Goddamnit, they were so delicious!!!!!!!! :D

98QOK.jpg

This is the adress on Google Maps :) -----> https://maps.google.nl/maps/place?f...NHeGMyl8gOeuIDoAw&sig2=24aTanZl4F0459CbVaEpLw

Dennis

Banned
I'm sorry for the late reply, but I promised that I would post a picture of some Italian pizza's, once I'd returned from my holiday in Italy. In Riva del Garda to be precise. I came back in August, but now I finally have my holiday pictures sorted. This picture was made in a little pizza shop in the city of Verona. Goddamnit, they were so delicious!!!!!!!! :D

98QOK.jpg

This is the adress on Google Maps :) -----> https://maps.google.nl/maps/place?f...NHeGMyl8gOeuIDoAw&sig2=24aTanZl4F0459CbVaEpLw

Goddamn. I would lose all self-control.

98QOK.jpg

Jesus!

Persona7

Banned
I made a pizza today.

Sausage, Mozzarella and parmesan. I spent 4 hours simmering the garlic sauce and made a large amount.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yesterday I did something I've never done before in my life. I went a whole day and the ONLY type of food I had was pizza.

It really does have all the nutrients you need, minus the vitamins, fatty acids, and extra protein that can be easily gotten from supplements. And for the record, I'm closer on the scale to being underweight for my height, age, and gender than overweight.

Pizza truly is food of the gods.

Malvolio

What's the secret to not getting all of the cheese to slide off on the first bite when making your own?

Make sure the cheese extends all the way to and over the crust. Not only will you end up with better tasting crust, but the cheese will then be anchored to the crust.

When I was in Manhattan last week I ate dinner at John's Pizzeria on Bleecker Street for the first time. It's pretty well regarded so I was quite excited to try it out and overall I was satisfied. The pizza (large plain cheese) was excellent, and expensive ($16.50, which might not be expensive for the West Village, but it is for me), as was the beer ($17 for a pitcher of Yuengling, which ended up being ridiculously watery). I forgot to take a photo but here's one from Yelp, it looked kinda like this before I annihilated it:

l.jpg

Grzi

When I was in Manhattan last week I ate dinner at John's Pizzeria on Bleecker Street for the first time. It's pretty well regarded so I was quite excited to try it out and overall I was satisfied. The pizza (large plain cheese) was excellent, and expensive ($16.50, which might not be expensive for the West Village, but it is for me), as was the beer ($17 for a pitcher of Yuengling, which ended up being ridiculously watery). I forgot to take a photo but here's one from Yelp, it looked kinda like this before I annihilated it:

l.jpg

This is one of the pizza places I must visit when I eventually go to New York. All of the reviews I've seen make it look like my kind of pizza, even more so than the one at Di Fara, which I also really want try.

I've had more pizza than you should probably have in a year over the last month, and this thread has only fueled my race to heart failure.

Also, had a 'philly steak' pizza recently. It wasn't bad. Though I didn't get the one with American cheese because what the fuck. Provolone + Mozzarella did nicely.

Top Bottom