• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That sounds like quite a pizza, how was it?

I'm sorry for not posting sooner. Unfortunately due to a series of unfortunate events I didn't get to eat it until it was already getting cold. I should have known the amount of seafood on it wouldn't be much because the price wasn't that much higher than the regular pizzas.

n0n44m

2012-10-0719.45.4403svn.jpg

2012-10-0720.41.21nds98.jpg

#1 grated cheese, onions & bell pepper, chorizo slices, mozzarella

#2 grated cheese, mozzarella, gorgonzola

sauce is simply tomato "frito" with a bit of crushed garlic and Italian spices

oh and they were AWESOME

I'm sorry for not posting sooner. Unfortunately due to a series of unfortunate events I didn't get to eat it until it was already getting cold. I should have known the amount of seafood on it wouldn't be much because the price wasn't that much higher than the regular pizzas.

Aw, that kinda sucks.

2012-10-0719.45.4403svn.jpg

2012-10-0720.41.21nds98.jpg

#1 grated cheese, onions & bell pepper, chorizo slices, mozzarella

#2 grated cheese, mozzarella, gorgonzola

sauce is simply tomato "frito" with a bit of crushed garlic and Italian spices

oh and they were AWESOME

Awesome!

The best frozen store pizzas are Rising Moon, Newman's Own, Uno's out from a deli section, and Home Run Inn. Home Run Inn especially is rock solid on the consistency and getting done in 10 min flat once you toss it in at the proper temp---Donatos also an honorable mention by sheer virtue of their gumption when it comes to pepperoni portions.

Care to post more details on this EVOO'ified Pan pizza? It sounds....useful...and I've not heard prior of anything at all like was briefly described.

When I was in Cali I tried this place out called Papa Murphy's, it was my girlfriends suggestion. But to my dismay, I later find out that they don't bake the pizza for you, that you're suppose to do it yourself. I get all upset about it until I eat it. It was the best damn pizza that's ever been baked out of a home oven that I've ever ate in my life, by far. I knew nothing about the place though, when I get home I look it up just to find out some more info about it. Not only do I find out it's nationwide, I find out there is one practically 20 minutes away from where I live.

And that's what I have on me right now, I got this while watching football today. It was just as good as I remember. One large Chicago for only $10, and it literally can feed(and fill up) 4 people because it's a stuffed pizza. Well unless you have some dudes with monster appetites, then it may be a different story.

20121007_1702261.jpg

One mistake I made was bringing it out of the oven too early. It was a bit doughy, but not too bad. I'll just have to remember that for next time. My brother got a slice about an hour later after I put it back in the oven which was still quite hot. He agrees with me, best damn take and bake pizza he has ever had. I'll definitely be a regular customer at this place from now on.

Bread

Banned
Alright I'll finally show off my last 2 pizza creations, apologies for the gigantic pictures, I'll quote them so they don't show up huge on here.

this right here is a prosciutto ricotta alfredo, it was pretty good, but I should have fried up the prosciutto a little prior to putting it on the pizza.

I made this baby tonight, and it was phenomenal. Chicken spinach ricotta alfredo... absolutely delicious.

I get my dough from a local super market, so these probably took 30 minutes each to make. I love pizza.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I finally found good NYC style pizza in Chicago.

Fuck you tomato casserole!

zerotol

Banned
I've been on a pizza bender lately. I ordered 3 for delivery in the last week. First one was Canadian bacon and pineapple. 2nd one was Italian sausage and chopped bacon with extra cheese. 3rd one was chicken, chopped bacon and pineapple. They were all great.

segasonic

interesting new chain that is supposedly a chipotle-style order at the counter place making neapolitan style pies in los angeles, and expanding.

800 DEGREES

20120101-185892-800-Body1.jpg

20120101-185892-800-Slide4.jpg

20120101-185892-800-Slide11.jpg

I had a pizza from them when I vacationed in California this year. You should order the pizza well done, otherwise it's going to be a sloppy mess. It's supposed to be authentic Neapolitan style this way, but I don't like it. Otherwise great pizza!

Say what ye want, but, Frozen pizza's are actually really good. I've forgotten how much I love them. I had a Red Baron Supreme again and it was heavenly. I like it better then any of the chain pizzas.

Clydefrog

Going to make my own pizza tonight. Got a can of whole peeled tomatoes that I'm going to put in a pan with some garlic to make the sauce. Do I drain all of the water out of the can or just dump it all in the pan? Can I just smash the tomatoes while they're in the pan or should I blend them first?

I got that bag of self-rising wheat dough from Whole Foods last night. It filled the bag overnight, so I put it back in the fridge... I'm just going to try spreading it by hand since I don't have a rolling pin. I also don't have cornmeal to sprinkle on my pizza-tray so I'm just going to use flour if that's okay.

as far as toppings, just cheese tonight. mozzarella. i've got some a ton of basil from the garden too that i can throw on the pizza and/or in the sauce.

Clydefrog

guess i'll report how it went. I give myself a C+

the sauce was really good. i vitamix'd whole peeled tomatoes, chopped garlic, and fresh basil. put it in a pan, heat on medium, and waited until most of the water evaporated (like 30 mins).

the dough i messed up. i didn't stretch it out enough so when it was fully cooked i had a pretty thick, doughy pizza.

but i did everything else right. i put corn meal on my pizza stick. i preheated the pizza stone. swished that bad boy on there for about 14 mins on 500 degrees. cheese was golden brown. i only burned two of my fingers!

all in all though it felt like it took too much work :lol cleaning all the dishes sucked. i had cornmeal all over the table-top too.

guess i'll report how it went. I give myself a C+

the sauce was really good. i vitamix'd whole peeled tomatoes, chopped garlic, and fresh basil. put it in a pan, heat on medium, and waited until most of the water evaporated (like 30 mins).

the dough i messed up. i didn't stretch it out enough so when it was fully cooked i had a pretty thick, doughy pizza.

but i did everything else right. i put corn meal on my pizza stick. i preheated the pizza stone. swished that bad boy on there for about 14 mins on 500 degrees. cheese was golden brown. i only burned two of my fingers!

all in all though it felt like it took too much work :lol cleaning all the dishes sucked. i had cornmeal all over the table-top too.

Aww, well at least it wasn't an unmitigated disaster (you could still eat it!).
Was the cornmeal worth it though?
Seems like you could make it a little less cleaning-intensive afterwards if you skipped that.

Chili's Pizza review

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/10/chain-reaction-we-tried-chilis-pizza.html?ref=title
20121010-chilis-pizzas-headerphoto.jpeg

20121010-chilis-pizzas-closeup.jpeg

MrBig

Aww, well at least it wasn't an unmitigated disaster (you could still eat it!).
Was the cornmeal worth it though?
Seems like you could make it a little less cleaning-intensive afterwards if you skipped that.

I like to use bread crumbs myself, cornmeal conflicts with most toppings when it's even slightly burnt. Breadcrumbs have a nice neutral flavor and ends up merging with the dough, and isn't as finely ground and thus messy. I've also used parchment paper on the peel and that worked just as well.

In the end the only things I have to do any work to clean are the counter, breadmachine bowl, and the container I use to let the dough rise. Stone and peel just get a wiping.

VanWinkle

Made another pan pizza. Turned out pretty well. I didn't have time to slice up pepperoni (which would have had the nice curling) so I just bought a package of pre-sliced, but besides that, it was good!

iI5eBJLD5kmss.jpg

ibdIbUK3Zc2Afe.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Made another pan pizza. Turned out pretty well. I didn't have time to slice up pepperoni (which would have had the nice curling) so I just bought a package of pre-sliced, but besides that, it was good!

iI5eBJLD5kmss.jpg

ibdIbUK3Zc2Afe.jpg

Oh man that looks fantastic. That base is just golden as hell.

Jarate

Banned
this thread was horrendous to look at when on a diet

I think I might have a picture of the pizza I usually get

also, you assholes should put hot sauce on your pizza, it's basically the greatest thing on earth

also, you assholes should put hot sauce on your pizza, it's basically the greatest thing on earth

Mmm spicy pizzas are the best.
Especially when you dip the end-crust into a garlic-herb dip.

Tenck

I remember I used to cook my own pizza every week. Should get back to it. It was so delicious *drool*

And thanks to this thread, ordering some right now :D

If you ever read the weight loss I posted my results in it. I planned on a 12 week cut, but I stopped short at 9. I'm very pleased with the results but my diet was driving me nuts and this thread only contributed to it. If you look up, I posted a picture of the stuffed pizza. It was the first place I went to after ending my diet.

Jarate

Banned
If you ever read the weight loss I posted my results in it. I planned on a 12 week cut, but I stopped short at 9. I'm very pleased with the results but my diet was driving me nuts and this thread only contributed to it. If you look up, I posted a picture of the stuffed pizza. It was the first place I went to after ending my diet.

They used to have this lean cuisine pizza that was incredibly good at my supermarket, but they stopped selling it

10511.gif

it was incredible for those pizza cravings

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

iI5eBJLD5kmss.jpg

ibdIbUK3Zc2Afe.jpg

Do you have a recipe for this? Include the type of pan you used too, if you could. Looks amazing.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is there such a thing as a good frozen pizza? Because I can't think of one.

There have been some posted in thread.

I'm with you though I've never met a frozen pizza I liked better than any I've made or had delivered.

Chicken Bacon Ranch
Greek Pizza
Mac n Cheese Pizza
Cracked Black Pepperjack Cheese n Chicken Pizza

Protip: Cut english muffins in half broil em for a minute til they get a bit hard put ingredients on and broil for a bit more can make quick small pizzas.

zerotol

Banned
There have been some posted in thread.

I'm with you though I've never met a frozen pizza I liked better than any I've made or had delivered.

Exactly. I used to make my own dough, which is totally easy, then I'd make my own pizzas. It was always way better than a store bought frozen one. It was always a mess though, flour all over the kitchen counter. So sometimes I'd buy a frozen one at the grocery store, and they always were so bad.

VanWinkle

Do you have a recipe for this? Include the type of pan you used too, if you could. Looks amazing.

I haven't really tried a dough that is specifically for pan pizzas (if there is such a thing), so at the moment I'm just using my "universal" dough, which is from here. (got the link from a GAFer at some point. Anywho, I used an old Wilton pan that I've had for I don't know how long. Basically it's just a heavy duty pan, a little thicker than the average you would find for a cheap price.

So, preheat your oven to about 500 degrees F. Take about a tablespoon or however much EVOO it takes to cover the pan on the bottom and sides, and then cover the risen dough ball in EVOO as well. Hand press the dough out to cover the pan all the way to the sides. Put whatever sauce you choose on (all the way to the edge of the dough). I use a commercial sauce, because I've tried to make a few homemade sauces and still haven't found any that I like. Use part-skim (or whole milk, if you prefer) mozzarella cheese, shred it (or crumble depending how hard it is to shred), and cover the pizza, edge to edge. Then put whatever toppings you want.

Whenever the oven is sufficiently preheated, pop that thing in the oven and let it cook. I didn't count how long it took exactly, but just wait at least until it the cheese starts to brown and whatnot. You want to make sure it cooks long enough for the crust to get golden on the bottom from the oil. Once it looks about how mine does, should be good to go.

Sorry about the lack of specifics lol, I just don't really get too technical about how much of anything I use. I just kind of wing it and it usually turns out about the same every time.

Cousteau

The older I get,the less I eat/like pizza.
I can only eat thin crunchy pizza thats cut into squares. Massy's is a good pizza.Small pepporini and square cut.

Im not a big sauce guy either.Or tons of cheese.I feel like a lead balloon afterwards from most pizza's.

I saw on Food Network a show about different types of pizza.One had a kind of lettuce and different cheese than what Ive eatin in the past.
I wanna try it but I forget the important details.

Top Bottom