• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plane diverted as passengers fight over seat reclining

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

There are no "sides" to this. The seat reclines. The customer pays for that and also knows someone reclining into them can happen as well.

Is it right? Fuck no. But it is what it is and the blame rests solely on the airline for allowing it and/or not creating more leg room.

That device should be banned and people defending the guy using the device are being illogical. No one has the right to prevent someone from using their seat in a way they paid for. Even if it is ultimately using it in a way that makes you an asshole. Which it often does.

Pretty much.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It almost sounds like some of you guys complaining aren't actually talking to the people in front of you. Most people flying dont automatically assume the person sitting behind them is 6'4"+. I usually recline my seat as soon as the person in front of me reclines their seat, sometimes that is early on in a flight, but it's not out of malice like you guys are making it out to be.

It's almost like you've never had the person in front of you violently slam their chair back into your knees for five minutes and then turn around and call you a "fucking asshole" for not spreading eagle for them so that they can gently glide into your awaiting loins.

Chariot

There are no "sides" to this. The seat reclines. The customer pays for that and also knows someone reclining into them can happen as well.

Is it right? Fuck no. But it is what it is and the blame rests solely on the airline for allowing it and/or not creating more leg room.

That device should be banned and people defending the guy using the device are being illogical. No one has the right to prevent someone from using their seat in a way they paid for. Even if it is ultimately using it in a way that makes you an asshole. Which it often does.
Good post.

It almost sounds like some of you guys complaining aren't actually talking to the people in front of you. Most people flying dont automatically assume the person sitting behind them is 6'4"+. I usually recline my seat as soon as the person in front of me reclines their seat, sometimes that is early on in a flight, but it's not out of malice like you guys are making it out to be.

You just answered your own question. Most people respond with "the man/woman in front of me is reclining and blah blah blah", as if reclining your own seat makes any difference in that regard.

Protip: It doesn't. I'm 6'5", already have lower back pain and flying is a fucking nightmare when I can't get bulkhead / exit.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
They should just pump an oxygen/fentanyl mix into the cabin to sedate all passengers once they get to angles 24. Just shut up, sleep, and leave each other alone.

TommyT

I always go for the aisle seats... just put my long legs in the aisles and use it to stop the flight attendants as they walk by to flirt.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Nope. The blame rests more on the guy who decides to annoy the person they have behind. Just because you have the tools available doesn't mean you have to use them. If you do, you are an asshole, plain and simple. And I won't advocate for the right to be an asshole.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Last time I flew I used a special recliner prevention device - my baby daughter on my lap. Recline your seat and you bring the TV screen into baby reach range - cue her batting at the screen over and over until you unrecline.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nope. The blame rests more on the guy who decides to annoy the person they have behind. Just because you have the tools available doesn't mean you have to use them. If you do, you are an asshole, plain and simple. And I won't advocate for the right to be an asshole.

Hey buddy I'll put my feet on the back of your chair at the theater all I want. Show me the law that says I can't. Show me the law.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think twice in my post I said that a reclining person can and often is being an asshole. However he is completely in his rights to recline. He paid for that seat and with it the right to recline if he so chooses. Under almost no circumanstance does another person have the right to impede with that persons right to recline, especially with such a dickish device.

You agreed to the terms of use when you bought your ticket. The airline set those terms and they are the ones designing the aircraft. They and the regulators who set the rules are ultimately responsible for the uncomfortable situation of their passengers.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think twice in my post I said that a reclining person can and often is being an asshole. However he is completely in his rights to recline. He paid for that seat and with it the right to recline if he so chooses. Under almost no circumanstance does another person have the right to impede with that persons right to recline, especially with such a dickish device.

You agreed to the terms of use when you bought your ticket. The airline set those terms and they are the ones designing the aircraft. They and the regulators who set the rules are ultimately responsible for the uncomfortable situation of their passengers.
I'll have to disagree then. I don't think people have a right to bother others if they can avoid it, even if it's legal or allowed.

Mononoke

Banned

Every flight ive been on (even domestic) has had someone reclining all the way back in front of me. Until this thread I had no idea that was considered an asshole thing to do as its been so common for me. That said I usually never recline because I don't want to inconvenience the person behind me. But im usually overly considerate.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'll have to disagree then. I don't think people have a right to bother others if they can avoid it, even if it's legal or allowed.

When someone starts saying variations of "Well technically I am legally allowed to do this," that means they are probably an asshole and doing something that they really shouldn't be doing.

onken

Good post.

No it isn't and you and the poster are to blame for a shitty society where people say "it's the system's fault that I'm allowed to be a gigantic asshole to the absolute utmost limit of what is socially acceptable without penalty"

No it isn't and you and the poster are to blame for a shitty society where people say "it's the system's fault that I'm allowed to be a gigantic asshole to the absolute utmost limit of what is socially acceptable without penalty"

This. In a tight ass cabin it's just douche to recline like that. Now I never heard of this device. But I've simply said very loudly "Ow, could you please move your seat up". And generally that works. The two times it didn't I just "adjust my knee" until the person puts it up.

Fuck reclining economy seats.

Septy

Every flight ive been on (even domestic) has had someone reclining all the way back in front of me. Until this thread I had no idea that was considered an asshole thing to do as its been so common for me. That said I usually never recline because I don't want to inconvenience the person behind me. But im usually overly considerate.

It might be cultural. I fly pretty frequently within Europe and I have not seen anyone recline in years now, unless there is noone behind. Obviously people do it on the longer trans-Atlantic flights.

Mononoke

Banned
It might be cultural. I fly pretty frequently within Europe and I have not seen anyone recline in years now, unless there is noone behind. Obviously people do it on the longer trans-Atlantic flights.

Yeah that's true. Guess I should have mentioned I'm from the US lol. But yeah, I see it all the time. Maybe I just have bad luck, or it's more common here. But I just assumed it's what people did. I'm not super tall (5'10) and am skinny. So it's never been a major issue for me, but I do admit it's annoying (when the planes are already camped as is).

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tell that to the lady that looked at me like I was the biggest motherfucker in the world (multiple times, mind you) when her seat wouldn't recline because my knees got in her way, please.

You didn't say a word to her? That's kinda wierd. She may have thought you were propping something up to block the seat from reclining.

If fat people have to pay for two seats then it seems reasonable to expect that very tall people should pay the extra for business class or whatever has more leg room. Otherwise don't complain when someone tries to recline.

Moondrop

Banned
Lol, I knew GAF would come out in defense of the Knee Defender.

If you don't like that I can recline my seat, you have several options:
- recline your own seat
- fly first or business class
- fly an airline with non-reclining seats
- don't fly

Lecturing me or applying prosthetics to my seat to try and control my behavior is not the proper course of action. If anyone ever put that on my seat, they would experience me turning around backward, leaning over the seat, and engaging with them for the entire flight. At a minimum.

Particle Physicist

It's almost like you've never had the person in front of you violently slam their chair back into your knees for five minutes and then turn around and call you a "fucking asshole" for not spreading eagle for them so that they can gently glide into your awaiting loins.

I'm actually tall and the seats hit my knees as well. I usually have to contort myself in weird positions in order to be sort of comfortable. But you know what. It sounds like you guys just sit there and fester in hate.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

- recline your own seat
- don't fly

Lecturing me or applying prosthetics to my seat to try and control my behavior is not the proper course of action. If anyone ever put that on my seat, they would experience me turning around backward, leaning over the seat, and engaging with them for the entire flight. At a minimum.
And I would kindly put on my noise cancelling earbuds and continue doing my thing.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm actually tall and the seats hit my knees as well. I usually have to contort myself in weird positions in order to be sort of comfortable. But you know what. It sounds like you guys just sit there and fester in hate.

No, I sit there and mind my own business. At most I'll send out a "hey buddy do you want to stop that?" The guy turning around throwing shade is the one "fester[ing] in hate" in this scenario, not me.

If anyone ever put that on my seat, they would experience me turning around backward, leaning over the seat, and engaging with them for the entire flight. At a minimum.

The type of person who would go as far as using a device like this would probably pop you in the face if you did something like that.

Yea, me too.

I didn't know reclining was considered an asshole thing to do because every flight I've been on I've had the person in front of me reclining all the way back.

I don't usually recline until my own space is infringed by the seat in front, then I'd recline too. Need space, and all that. I'm uncomfortable with starting a dialog of complaint to strangers, ...

...but if the one behind me complains to me, I'd unrecline and pass on the complaint to the seat in front so everyone can breathe a bit better. This is all theoretical though. Never had anyone complained from the back and always had the front seats reclining all the way. So far.

- recline your own seat
- don't fly

The bolded are not legitimate options, especially if the guy is a frequent flyer, which he most likely is since he actually owns one of these devices.

Jarlaxle

I really don't see the need for anyone to have to recline. Just sit up straight. It's not like you're on the plane for a week or something.

All airlines should really lock the reclining feature.

I'm 6'6" and I used to just ask the person in front of me on flights politely not to recline their seats since my legs would always get crushed but one flight I did this and the person just ignored me and deliberately jammed their seat back once the notice went out that it was OK to do so.

Luckily my seat belt wasn't fastened so I could jump up before I got hurt but after that incident I only fly when I can either get a seat in 1st class or at the very front row of the plane so no one's ever in front of me. If I can't get either of those options I just don't fly.

Chariot

Why are you so mad? In fact, why are so many people here so emotional about this?
I get that you're annoyed by people who are taking the little space you already fighting with. But Humans can communicate. Tell them, that you would please need the space. This is a flaw where you have to be angry at the airline and not the people who just do what they're told they can do.

You went even further. You just shoved the responsibility of the systemflaw on some posters on the internet that stated that the problem lies not by individual people but the airlines themselves. And we're at fault? Aren't you at fault for yelling at the wrong tree?

DBT85

If I have the right to recline my seat, do I also have the right to bang on the back of the seat in front?

Or maybe, open and close my tray for the whole flight, somewhat more forcefully than needed.

Chariot

If I have the right to recline my seat, do I also have the right to bang on the back of the seat in front?

Or maybe, open and close my tray for the whole flight, somewhat more forcefully than needed.
You have the right to tell the person in front of you, that you're uncomfortable and if they could go back into standard position.

Pro tip: Always ask for a seat in an emergency row. The legroom is unreal.

But you have to put your bags in the overhead rack. Not massive but a bif of a pain if you need to get something like a laptop or similar out mid flight.

More importantly:

Do you have possess the unbridled strength of character required to operate the emergency exit in the event of a calamity? Are you prepared for that level of responsibility? Lives, hundreds of asshole's lives could depend on YOU and your ability to work the door.

Chariot

That's fine, but what if they choose, as is their right, to take no notice?
Is it their right to ignore, if they're making a person uncomfortable and could solve the problem in a reasonable way? I doubt it. In that case, call a stewardess and explain the problem. Maybe the person will give in as soon as the stewardess arrives or maybe it can be arranged that you can swap with a smaller passagiere or someone that is fine with less space. Maybe even you and the person in front of you can swap and you can show that person how easy it is not to recline.

Particle Physicist

Those comparisons don't make sense. Maybe if you compared it to forcefully reclining and straightening the seat multiple times during the flight it might make more sense.

But you have to put your bags in the overhead rack. Not massive but a bif of a pain if you need to get something like a laptop or similar out mid flight.

More importantly:

Do you have possess the unbridled strength of character required to operate the emergency exit in the event of a calamity? Are you prepared for that level of responsibility? Lives, hundreds of asshole's lives could depend on YOU and your ability to work the door.

How much would it suck to be the guy mentioned in the news story as being responsible for everyone's death after a minor crash because you were too weak or dexterous to operate the emergency door :(

DBT85

Is it their right to ignore, if they're making a person uncomfortable and could solve the problem in a reasonable way? I doubt it. In that case, call a stewardess and explain the problem. Maybe the person will give in as soon as the stewardess arrives or maybe it can be arranged that you can swap with a smaller passagiere or someone that is fine with less space. Maybe even you and the person in front of you can swap and you can show that person how easy it is not to recline.

Swapping seats might just be an option, if you are alone. Anyone who reclines their seat and refuses to listen to reason is likly not going to take a lesson from you sitting in front of them NOT reclining. Simply because they are going to recline again and piss off the person behind them.

Those comparisons don't make sense. Maybe if you compared it to forcefully reclining and straightening the seat multiple times during the flight it might make more sense.

Why? A reclined seat can be a literal pain in the knees for the duration of the reclination (new word), closing the tray once is not.

I should note, I don't think I've been on flight with someone reclining in front of me for a very long time, and I've never reclined mine. Were someone to recline I'd ask politely for them not to.

Stet

Banned
Everyone has the right to be an unconscionable asshole to the person sitting behind them.

I think you've mistaken the word unconscionable with the word unconscious. Reclining your seat isn't something people do to intentionally be a dick. Preventing someone from reclining their seat, however, is.

That's why I down a couple of screwdrivers after takeoff. The responsibility is just so overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom