• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plane diverted as passengers fight over seat reclining

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to get so excited about the person in front reclining, book business or first.

Can't afford it? Then suck down what you paid for or earn more. Did you notice that space is somewhat scarce and therefore expensive on planes?

I always recline without asking and I expect the person in front of me to as well.

How about the person who wants to recline books a first class seat? Then everyone is happy.

Stet

Banned
How about the person who wants to recline books a first class seat? Then everyone is happy.

They don't have to. The seat they paid for already has the ability to recline. We understand that you don't approve. Airlines are your enemies, not the people who take the flights.

WalkMan

Banned
Yup. those few centimeters are nothing for the person on the chair but can be a massive annoyance for the one behind.

I can be doing work on my laptop or watching a movie on my tablet until some fatty reclines their seat and crunches my stuff. Then the seat is inclined in such a way that I'm basically done for the rest of the flight.

For the record I fly every month and have been for like 15 years now, I've never reclined my seat out of respect to whoever is behind me.

They booked a flight where reclining is allowed and these locks are banned. It sounds like the guy with the lock made a poor choice of flights but figured he was a unique and beautiful enough snowflake to do whatever he wanted.

You want a special accommodation for yourself, you go find it.

Phoenix

And an even bigger difference in being able to use a tray table or not, or if your'e taller than 5'10", being able to have any shred of comfort at all. Why do people have to be able to sleep on a three hour flight?

From an engineering perspective the reason you don't have leg room isn't really the recline, its to support the tray table/TV/and other systems that are integrated into the seat itself. The airlines could quite easily accommodate more leg room within their current configurations by actually changing the seats themselves.

As for the sleeping question - its the same answer for why you need to be able to use your tray table, because it provides a mechanism to deliver you a good use of your time. I travel a *lot* and many times I will catch up with sleep on a flight because I've been busy with other stuff.

That's my sentiment exactly to the guy who tries to get his seat to recline through my leg bones.
If the seat is actually hitting your knees then that is a real problem that the other passenger and the airline should be willing to accommodate. There is a big difference between that and feeling entitled to stop the person in front of you from reclining at all on a flight where reclining is customary, in a section with 4 extra inches of leg room.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Big people should probably pay extra for big seats.

Well, they're starting to do that for wider people, so wouldn't surprise me if they started to do that for taller people as well.

You're describing "Economy Plus" variants. I am glad to pay more for one of those seats. It would be nice if there were a height restriction, though, since they tend to fill up quickly in my experience with short people. Exit rows, too.

You're describing "Economy Plus" variants. I am glad to pay more for one of those seats. It would be nice if there were a height restriction, though, since they tend to fill up quickly in my experience with short people. Exit rows, too.

Seriously, if you're going to make it impossible for tall people to fly economy, ban short people from exit rows, aisle seats, and the economy plus seats.

Of course, none of this would be necessary if everyone built their planes to accommodate actual human bodies like Jet Blue, or if people showed the slightest amount of decency to one another.

Clydefrog

I don't like it when I'm stuck in a window/middle seat on a long flight. I always get seated next to the guy who sleeps throughout the entire flight. They always look SOOO ANNOYED when I have to wake them up so I can move into the aisle and go to the bathroom. WELL I AM SORRY FOR WAKING YOU FROM YOUR SLUMBER SIR BUT I DON'T FEEL LIKE SITTING IN THIS SHITTY MIDDLE SEAT FOR EIGHT HOURS

MilkyJoe

Lol, I knew GAF would come out in defense of the Knee Defender.

If you don't like that I can recline my seat, you have several options:
- recline your own seat
- fly first or business class
- fly an airline with non-reclining seats
- don't fly

Lecturing me or applying prosthetics to my seat to try and control my behavior is not the proper course of action. If anyone ever put that on my seat, they would experience me turning around backward, leaning over the seat, and engaging with them for the entire flight. At a minimum.

What is it with this recline your own seat nonsense? How does reclining my seat magically create a ravine of leg room?

The last three options are pretty much "deal with it" way to go, sport!

Ps we got a badass over here.jpg

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
(1) The original story reads like a Hollywood meet-cute. Those 2 passengers probably had a good laugh about it afterwards, realized that they were both recent divorcees going through a rough time, and went out on a date.

(2) The dude who locked the seat is an asshole.

(3) Some planes - including the new 787 - allow you to recline YOUR seat without having the entire seat frame recline. That should solve things.

MilkyJoe

Watch a bunch of people now buy these locks and then recline their own seats.

thats-the-evilest-thing-i-can-imagine-meme-template.jpg

Arjen

Being 6'3" I absolutely hate people who recline,but you can't escape it on 12+hour flights sadly. And I never experienced that people asked me if it's okay to recline either. I second the thought that the reclining option shouldn't exist.

It depends on the Airline, when I've flown to the US from Europe, or internally in the US the leg room is awful, have to sit at an angle the whole time with some 18 stone loud mouth Florida retiree constantly talking too loud and pushing herself in and out of her seat for 8 hours, like a fucking dog circling a dog bed looking for the comfy spot. At that point I usually make it my goal to make it as uncomfortable for them as possible, pulling on the chair back to get up, sitting a young child on my knee to kick the chair in front and flurt juice everywhere, applying pressure with my knee's and then letting it go. All fun ways to mess with the ignorant fucker in front, and makes the flight go by faster.

But flying from Europe to Asia and Asia to Australia the legroom is usually ok even when people recline. Just need to use some common courtesy, don't recline until after drinks and dinner is over with and the lights are out, then put your seat up when the lights come back on. If you think no reclining seats at all are a good idea you haven't spent 24 hrs+ traveling from one side of the planet to the other.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
The recline button on your seat is basically a practical exam to see whether or not you are a massive, selfish dickhead.

I am 6'4" and have long legs. If the person in front of me reclines their seat, I have a bad time. Super uncomfortable and restrictive. I always politely ask them to not recline. I've only had one person refuse, and after a short "discussion" I told him in no uncertain terms that he was a total prick and asked the stewardess to move me.

Airline seats should not recline. I will fight this until the day I die.

Dude Abides

Banned
Add me to the list of tall people who think seats shouldn't recline. If people do it my knees end up bumping their seat every time I shift position. Once an old cranky lady got mad at me as if I could do something about it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Except you absolutely are advocating for people's right to be an asshole by defending the asshole who bought the $20 asshole lock.
Please quote me where I said it was OK for that guy to do that. Of course he wasn't right for doing that either, and I never said he was.

Dalek

The recline button on your seat is basically a practical exam to see whether or not you are a massive, selfish dickhead.

I am 6'4" and have long legs. If the person in front of me reclines their seat, I have a bad time. Super uncomfortable and restrictive. I always politely ask them to not recline. I've only had one person refuse, and after a short "discussion" I told him in no uncertain terms that he was a total prick and asked the stewardess to move me.

Airline seats should not recline. I will fight this until the day I die.

You have my sword.

i have never flown for more than 4 hours and i have 14 hour flight from chicago to toyko then to seoul next week... i fear for my life.

terrisus

The funny thing about reclining is... While, yes, I know everyone is different... I don't find reclining in a chair to be comfortable at all. Even my couch, where it causes me to sink back against the top of it, I'm constantly readjusting myself so I'm sitting up straight instead. And, I can't stand those types of chairs which don't have any/much resistence to leaning back, they're so uncomfortable. And, I never recline any chairs with the option to recline.

Phoenix

Being 6'3" I absolutely hate people who recline,but you can't escape it on 12+hour flights sadly. And I never experienced that people asked me if it's okay to recline either. I second the thought that the reclining option shouldn't exist.

Have you ever asked the person who was reclining if they didn't recline? Probably an easier go than trying to complain about that which will not change.

I know of few people who if asked wouldn't try to accommodate if you actually told them it was crushing your knees. The funniest thing about watching all the proponents for the never-recline-although-the-seat-reclines argument is that its very "one sided".

"When people recline it makes me uncomfortable, so even though the function of the seat provides for them being able to recline they shouldn't so I can be comfortable."

brerwolfe

Big people should probably pay extra for big seats.

I can't help that I'm 6'7". I can help my weight to an extent, but I'm always gonna be tall.

I fly a couple times a month for work. When I don't have the luxury of flying in 1st class or an exit row seat I immediately remove any magazines from the seatback pocket and put them with my neighbor's magazines. It only amounts to a half inch extra, at most, but it's a half inch of relief on my knees.

Sometimes I'll let the person in front of me know when they sit down that they won't be able to recline because my knees are jammed from the get-go. Other times I'll wait until they try to recline before I let them know.

I never recline because I always assume there's some asshole my height sitting behind me and I don't want to put them through any unnecessary discomfort.

A friend that reclines says "it's only 2", is it really gonna make that big a difference if I recline?" I respond, "it's only 2", why bother reclining?"

brerwolfe

I almost feel line they need to revise the rules of exit row seating.

As it stands, nearly every airline in America aside from Delta and Southwest charges an upgrade fee for exit row seating. I feel like if you're above a certain height that fee should be waived. Additionally, if you're below a certain height you shouldn't be allowed to sit in that row.

Just my thoughts.

Luckily I fly Delta almost exclusively and they let me choose an exit row seat when making my reservation. And because I've flown with them so much I'm now getting free 1st class upgrades, which is pretty fantastic. My last 3 flights have been in 1st class and pain-free.

Sean*O

They need to weld all those seats into the upright position. I can't recline, you can't recline, everybody deals with it.

You want recliners, pay more for luxury class or take another method of transportation.

Arjen

Have you ever asked the person who was reclining if they didn't recline? Probably an easier go than trying to complain about that which will not change.

I know of few people who if asked wouldn't try to accommodate if you actually told them it was crushing your knees. The funniest thing about watching all the proponents for the never-recline-although-the-seat-reclines argument is that its very "one sided".

"When people recline it makes me uncomfortable, so even though the function of the seat provides for them being able to recline they shouldn't so I can be comfortable."

It only happened to me on really long flights, after the lights go out people go to sleep and most will recline their seats, that's perfectly understandable to me. I always get an aisle seat and that's the perfect time to swing my feet in the aisle.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I had two people get into a fist fight on a flight from Dallas to LaGuardia because the guy behind him thought the person reclined too fast. We nearly landed in Memphis to let them off.

Then the person sitting behinds girlfriend grabbed the guys hair and yanked him down and started screaming about how 'they paid for a ticket too' or something like that. Was nuts. I was right behind the reclinee and had a dog under his seat and pretty much just wanted it to all end quickly.

Port Authority Cops arrested guy number 2 after the flight.

TxdoHawk

I don't even recline my seat on a 20 minute bus ride if someone is sitting behind me. Doing this to people on an hours-long flight is mind-boggling.

nilbog21

Banned
FUCK reclining your seat - it's inconsiderate and its a slap in the face to the person behind you.. and it's not even comfortable AT ALL ? Who the fuck sits like that?? and people who recline their seats always do it in a brute like manner.. last time some kid just decided all of a sudden to SLAM his seat back all of a sudden and knocked over my soda that was just sitting in the tray.. how is this allowed??

people that recline their seats dont even realize its not at all comfortable, or care. they are just assholes

Calamari41

41 > 38
FUCK reclining your seat - it's inconsiderate and its a slap in the face to the person behind you.. and it's not even comfortable AT ALL ? Who the fuck sits like that?? and people who recline their seats always do it in a brute like manner.. last time some kid just decided all of a sudden to SLAM his seat back all of a sudden and knocked over my soda that was just sitting in the tray.. how is this allowed??

people that recline their seats dont even realize its not at all comfortable, or care. they are just assholes

For many people it is a power play, plain and simple. You see traces of it in this very thread. "I am allowed to do this, so I will do it. If you don't like it, go fuck yourself."

Chariot

For many people it is a power play, plain and simple. You see traces of it in this very thread. "I am allowed to do this, so I will do it. If you don't like it, go fuck yourself."
Who said that? You have that in quotation marks, so who you're quoting from?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Who said that? You have that in quotation marks, so who you're quoting from?

Oh give me a break. I am not quoting someone from this thread or even implying that anybody in this thread has said that, I am representing the attitudes of the people who treat it like a power play. There's a reason I said there are "traces" of it in this thread, and didn't say that there are posters in this thread who overtly act this way. I guess I should have switched the order of my last two sentences to avoid having petty drama breaking out.

This thread is full, though, of people who have said variations of "I am allowed to do it so I will" and "if you don't like it, buy a first class ticket." I am not going to go through and quote for you. You are capable of reading this thread for yourself. Edit: just this page alone, even.

MIMIC

Banned
Everything about this story is so remarkably American

LMAO

I just took four flights over the last week and never had an issue with reclining. Reclining too fast might be a problem because the person behind you might be checking something underneath their seat. But reclining in general has never been a problem with me. The person in front of me reclines without issue, and I recline (only about half way) without issue.

I only recline to use my laptop (because it hurts my neck having to sit upright, staring DOWN at the screen). I don't sleep in the reclined position; I rest my head on window/wall.

The seats aren't THAT close to each other, so I seriously don't understand the space complaints. I haven't been in a Greyhound in a long time, but IIRC, there's way more room on a plane than a bus.

I swear to God, I must be one lucky motherfucker because I NEVER encounter this kind of nonsense in my daily life.

Enco

You're allowed to recline but you should also be considerate and not an asshole.

Everyone knows reclining fucks the person behind yet some take it too far for their own needs whole ignoring others. It's pretty rude.

Half these seats are busted in these old-ass planes anyway.
"Sir, we're landing, please put up your seat."
"It's fucking busted like the rest of this shitty airline."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom