• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plane diverted as passengers fight over seat reclining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Swapping seats might just be an option, if you are alone. Anyone who reclines their seat and refuses to listen to reason is likly not going to take a lesson from you sitting in front of them NOT reclining. Simply because they are going to recline again and piss off the person behind them.
Maybe. But maybe the person behind you, is ok with that or the person formerly know as the person in front of you is too ashamed to be called out again and just let it be. In any case, communication is the key. First with the person in front of you and then, if that doesn't help with the stewardess. Just sitting their angrily or putting blocks in, isn't the best move in my opinion.

Dalek

I'm 6'3" and on EVERY flight I've been on, the second that fasten seatbelt light goes off-"BING!"-that seat in front of me slams back. It's misery.

The world is not built for tall people. Ever try to use a Hotel Shower head? Those things are made for Hobbits since the Hotels don't want to shell out the extra foot or two of pipe.

The fault in this lies entirely in the airlines. Comfort in flights has progressively gotten worse and worse so the airlines can continue to pinch pennies a little more every year and turn more profit. Fuck those fuckers to hell.

Chris R

I flew Jet Blue for the first time a month ago.

First thing, the flight was cheap to begin with (they are the cheapest flight from Alaska to Civilization at the moment, I could get to Seattle for as little as $100 when Alaskan want's to charge $200...)

Then I paid $30 to upgrade...

Zero wait at check in due to skipping a line
Zero wait at TSA due to skipping a line
First to board the plane
Knee/Leg room for the first time ever on a flight
Nearly first to leave the plane

Best $30 I've ever spent I'd have to say.

I think you've mistaken the word unconscionable with the word unconscious. Reclining your seat isn't something people do to intentionally be a dick. Preventing someone from reclining their seat, however, is.

If I could shorten my leg bones for the duration of the flight, I would.

terrisus

Probably been said, but, if it's a banned device, shouldn't the airline have detected it on the pre-flight screening?

Quixzlizx

Whenever the person ahead of me reclines into my knees, I spend the entire flight rhythmically jabbing my knees into their back out of spite.

Unicorn

Not as funny as the Israeli/Palestinian argument on a plane a few weeks ago. That has twist after twist and went on for 3 weeks

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/28/594189...rom-palm-beach-turned-into-a-three-week-fight

What bothers me more than the story is the fact that Vox.com is now some business' blog. It was my prime blogging site from 2006-2009, was started from the owners of LiveJournal and provided so many options that other blogs didn't. I guess that was their downfall, but goddamn was I bitter.

Dalek

Probably been said, but, if it's a banned device, shouldn't the airline have detected it on the pre-flight screening?

It's 2 little shaped pieces of plastic/rubber. It's not like it looks like a dynamite bomb.

knee-defender-gadget.png

Actually, I need diagrams. How are kneecaps being crushed? Poor kneecaps :(

I thought reclining only affects upper body space. How are you guys fitting into those seats when they are unreclined but then how are kneecaps crushed when the seats are reclined?

Sorry I just don't quite grasp the mechanics

I thought if kneecaps can fit into seat space when seats are unreclined then the movements of the back of the seat shouldn't affect knees? Cuz the base of the seats are not actually moving / movable? Am I not understanding something right :<

(I'm a tiny azn woman. Pls educate me)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Nope. The blame rests more on the guy who decides to annoy the person they have behind. Just because you have the tools available doesn't mean you have to use them. If you do, you are an asshole, plain and simple. And I won't advocate for the right to be an asshole.

Except you absolutely are advocating for people's right to be an asshole by defending the asshole who bought the $20 asshole lock.

Quixzlizx

Did you try to talk to them?

You can tell when you recline a seat into someone. If they were going to give a shit, they wouldn't have done it in the first place. Unless I'm hoping that a public shaming will get them to do something their conscience didn't.

Nakho

I guess this is a big benefit of being short, as I've never been bothered by someone reclining their chair in front of me.

Zoe

Schattenjäger;127121708 said:
I always recline because people in front of me always recline.. I thought that was the point ???
If everyone reclines, there won't be any problems

My last few flights have been international though

I thought the same.

Calamari41

41 > 38

I thought reclining only affects upper body space. How are you guys fitting into those seats when they are unreclined but then how are kneecaps crushed when the seats are reclined?

I thought if kneecaps can fit into seat space when seats are unreclined then the movements of the back of the seat shouldn't affect knees? Cuz the base of the seats are not actually moving / movable? Am I not understanding something right :<

Tall people have longer legs, which puts their knees up higher than those of shorter people as well as putting them further out. You're right that the very bottom of the seat doesn't move backward as it pivots, but the higher up the chair you go, the further back the seat is moving. The taller a person is, the higher up the chair their knees are, and the more a reclining chair will push into them.

As for a diagram: hold your hand vertically and stick your finger into your wrist. Holding the finger firmly, pivot the vertical hand toward your stationary hand (by bending your wrist). It moves with ease. Now stick your finger at, say, the point where your palm and fingers meet. Now try to pivot the vertical hand while not allowing the stationary hand to move at all. It can't be done.

terrisus

Because what you view as "upper body space" is space occupied by taller people's knees when sitting, especially in cramped seating.

People who recline all the way are the worst. People like that are the reason we can't have nice things. There is a little bit of reclining then there is reclining so your hair is in my face.

Quixzlizx

If you are 6'+, your knees are generally only an inch or so away from the seat in front of you in economy class. Even if the bottom half of the seat doesn't tilt as much as the upper half, it doesn't take much.

Dalek

By the way-the guy in this picture in the front seats looks like every guy in front of me that's had to recline.

terrisus

It's 2 little shaped pieces of plastic/rubber. It's not like it looks like a dynamite bomb.

Well, I mean, pill bottles and containers and liquids and such of varying sorts are banned, and they seem to be able to detect those, even though they don't look like a dynamite bomb.

Chariot

You can tell when you recline a seat into someone. If they were going to give a shit, they wouldn't have done it in the first place. Unless I'm hoping that a public shaming will get them to do something their conscience didn't.
I take that as an "no, I didn't talk to them". Of course it's not nice to just recline your seat, but because somebody is rude, you have to be rude too.

"He did what I don't like, so I just do what he don't like" - that is childish behavior. Adult humans should attempt to communicate. State that your uncomfortable and wish that the person goes back to the standard position. If the person is really mean and denies that, call a stewardess.

Quixzlizx

I take that as an "no, I didn't talk to them". Of course it's not nice to just recline your seat, but because somebody is rude, you have to be rude too.

"He did what I don't like, so I just do what he don't like" - that is childish behavior. Adult humans should attempt to communicate. State that your uncomfortable and wish that the person goes back to the standard position. If the person is really mean and denies that, call a stewardess.

Well, yes. I believe I mentioned it was "out of spite" in my original post. I don't care, as long as I'm not endangering anyone and just sticking it to a jerk.

winjet81

All of the airlines should just take the reclining feature out of seats. They want to squeeze as many people as they can into a flight and then let them recline. Of course that's asking for trouble.

Totally agree. I fucking hate it when the person in front of me fully reclines their seat and then continues to pound into it to get as much recline as possible.

I have zero problem then pulling down the fold-out table in front of me and using it liberally and often.

terrisus, calamari, Quixzlizx, Dalek, thank youuuu

my mind was not quite comprehending it but your replies are helpful. specially the pictures in Dalek's post.

i didn't realise the leg space is THAT tight. But then again, I've only flown Australian / Asian airlines (Singapore Airline, Emirates, Qantas) and ... if I remember correctly, the leg space is a little bit more generous than the ones in Dalek's pictures.

But yes, as for me, personally, if someone asks me not to recline, of course I'd comply !

Quixzlizx

Self-absorbed how? Which post?

Your "people who keep people from reclining are wrong, not the recliners." What if what's keeping the person from reclining further is my knees? I'm not saying that I'd start poking someone in the back just for reclining a seat if it didn't affect me out of principle. Reclining a seat into my body is the dick move.

Stet

Banned
Your "people who keep people from reclining are wrong, not the recliners." What if what's keeping the person from reclining further is my knees? I'm not saying that I'd start poking someone in the back just for reclining a seat if it didn't affect me out of principle. Reclining a seat into my body is the dick move.

Don't paraphrase me if you don't understand my post. I said that people who recline aren't intentionally being dicks, but people who prevent them from doing so are. It's possible to unintentionally anger someone by reclining into them -- but you didn't know it would happen before you reclined. All it takes is for you to ask politely if they could put their seat back, and you'll know if you're truly dealing with a dick or not.

ItIsOkBro

Don't paraphrase me if you don't understand my post. I said that people who recline aren't intentionally being dicks, but people who prevent them from doing so are. It's possible to unintentionally anger someone by reclining into them -- but you didn't know it would happen before you reclined. All it takes is for you to ask politely if they could put their seat back, and you'll know if you're truly dealing with a dick or not.

And if I say no I'm a dick?

Quixzlizx

I guess my point would be (which I elucidated above) is that while it is true that you don't know before you start reclining whether you will bother someone, you should probably assume that reclining INTO someone will bother them, and maybe reverse course without having to be asked.

Schlep

There's a special place in hell for people who recline their seats on a flight. I wish they'd completely do away with it as on most planes, the amount of space is 3/4 or less what it was 20 years ago.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I guess my point would be (which I elucidated above) is that while it is true that you don't know before you start reclining whether you will bother someone, you should probably assume that reclining INTO someone will bother them, and maybe reverse course without having to be asked.

Basically this. If you start reclining and meet resistance, and yet keep forcing your seat back, then you are a dick, end of story. Bonus asshole points if you start acting like you're trying to break down a barricaded door.

The guy with the lock thing sounds like he is walking around just begging for an ass-whooping. He's also probably one of those people that think they "outrank" the flight attendants by being a paying customer.

My solution would have been to get up and remove the lock from my seat myself, and let him make the mistake of touching me while I do it.

It's called a laptop for a reason. Put it in your goddamned lap, you arrogant prick.

edbrat

If you're going to get so excited about the person in front reclining, book business or first.

Can't afford it? Then suck down what you paid for or earn more. Did you notice that space is somewhat scarce and therefore expensive on planes?

I always recline without asking and I expect the person in front of me to as well.

Chariot

So now the person being inconviennced has to jump through more hoops simply because you feel they aren't being as sociable and outgoing as they need to be.
What is more inconvenient

(1) calling a stewardess and explain the situation in a few seconds and waiting on her to resolve the issue
(2) sitting an entire flight grumpy and uncomfortable in your chair, occasionally kicking the chair in front of you in protest

Stet

Banned
Basically this. If you start reclining and meet resistance, and yet keep forcing your seat back, then you are a dick, end of story. Bonus asshole points if you start acting like you're trying to break down a barricaded door.

Resistance could be from a lot of things. What's wrong with speaking up? I'm serious.

SummitAve

Banned
Reclining is an exaggeration for the amount of movement these seats are actually capable of. If you can't make it the whole flight unreclined than you're not fit for flying. If you're so desperate for a tease of comfort than make sure the person behind you is cool with it.

If you're going to get so excited about the person in front reclining, book business or first.

Can't afford it? Then suck down what you paid for or earn more. Did you notice that space is somewhat scarce and therefore expensive on planes?

I always recline without asking and I expect the person in front of me to as well.

If you're so concerned about space and need to recline, please book a first class ticket. Anyone with a hint of a conscience would realize that leg space is very limited in the economy section and that fully reclining without consideration for the person behind you is beyond a dick move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom