• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetary Annihilation Kickstarter by Uber Entertainment [Ended, $2.33M funded]

Deadstar

This game looks awesome! I just pledged. I hope it hits the 1.1 million goal so we get water planets. It's a shame that all these garbage shooters keep getting made and rts is left to die.

Total Annihilation had that many years ago. It was called Boneyards. Every week players sided with either the Core or the Arm and fought for control of a different star system. Mavor has hinted that he'd like to bring it back in some form, I would not be surprised if it was the third stretch goal.

I'm willing to bet it's the final stretch goal, probably around $2,000,000. There's no way it will happen unless an angel investor steps in (or they call in some favors for advertising). We'll be lucky to hit even the second stretch goal at this rate.

Yeah, it has slowed down pretty drastically ever since it hit 700k.
I think we'll hit 900k in a day or two, and then maaaybe reach the second stretch goal if we get a bit of a boost towards the end.

$824,064
pledged of $900,000 goal
days to go

Deadstar

Wow, long interview. I'm going to check this out. I think it's a really interesting idea to be able to hop from planet to planet especially if the scale is there. I wonder if there is a way to not make it look too much like your building on a globe rather than a flat surface. If the planets are large enough it will seem like a normal rts game but then you can zoom out and see the whole planet. Also, the idea of being able to destroy a planet is very interesting. You could lose a whole base in one attack.

The weapon would have to take a long time to prep if it was going to be in the game. So much potential here, I hope the game turns out to be awesome.

Izayoi

Banned
Awesome, long interviews seem to be rare nowadays.

Looks like the game will hit the goal today or tomorrow as well thanks to the video.

DXPett1

One step closer to a singleplayer campaign is one step closer for me to back this project.

Going off the Shack news interview a Single player campaign would be the final stretch goal if it was a goal at all. Apparently it costs a shitload more to make than a multiplayer/skirmash game

Izayoi

Banned
4b306d32f999ce9c7622dctun5.png

The_Lump

Banned
TA is still by far and away my favourite RTS. (Can still recite the opening monologue!) SupCom was great, but didn't fill the hole left when my TA disc died :(

This should be incredible, and sounds like exactly what fans of the original TA have been waiting for all these years. Fingers crossed!

Going off the Shack news interview a Single player campaign would be the final stretch goal if it was a goal at all. Apparently it costs a shitload more to make than a multiplayer/skirmash game
Which is funny since everyone I knew growing up would just jump straight into skirmish in any RTS.

This looks awesome. Hopefully they pull off the economy side really well. I loved Supreme Commander but Supreme Commander 2 fucked all that up.

Izayoi

Banned
Which is funny since everyone I knew growing up would just jump straight into skirmish in any RTS.
Yup. That's the same logic they're applying to PA. Skirmish is the mode that's played the most, Skirmish is the easiest mode to make. It's a no-brainer through and through.

This looks awesome. Hopefully they pull of the economy side really well. I loved Supreme Commander but Supreme Commander 2 fucked all that up.
They are sticking with a two-resource flow-based economy, like TA and SupCom1. You don't have anything to worry about.

pmj

I'd play pretty much only single player if it was available. The only reason single player would be expensive is if they felt the need to have a bunch of special units, and an elaborate story with cutscenes and voice acting and shit. Personally, I'd be happy with a string of interesting combat scenarios tied together by a very small amount of story presented through text.

Luckily the game can be modded, and if it's possible for users to create campaigns, I'm sure I'll get one that's good enough for me within days of release.

DXPett1

The only reason single player would be expensive is if they felt the need to have a bunch of special units, and an elaborate story with cutscenes and voice acting and shit. Personally, I'd be happy with a string of interesting combat scenarios tied together by a very small amount of story presented through text.

That's precisely the point, if they are going to do it, they want to do it with AWESOME and not some limp dick effort.

I am more than happy with just skirmish. I barely touched the TA campaign anyway

I haven't played an RTS/TBS's game's single-player mode in years.

Though I guess I payed a bit of Shogun 2's when I had no one else to play with, but that's basically multiplayer with AI.

derFeef

I don't need any sophistcated story attached to my RTS's, thanks.
Make it like Generals, ridiculous and minimal. That would be perfect.

STRETCH GOAL 3 is something about redesigning the whole look of the game I hope; this looks fugly compared to TA. In motion it looks nicer though.

derFeef

STRETCH GOAL 3 is something about redesigning the whole look of the game I hope; this looks fugly compared to TA. In motion it looks nicer though.

I don't think that would please the backers... lol.

I think it looks ace (if it ends up looking like that in realtime).

Deadstar

One thing the developers talked about is having either one team with double the units or two teams with half the units available. What do you guys think?

I've always thought two different teams fighting is kind of cool, then again the idea of having one team with a ton of units would create different strategies and options if you had to choose a path to go by. If it was easy to get every unit every game it might ruin some of it but if you had to commit to a certain strategy it might be interesting.

Raide

One thing the developers talked about is having either one team with double the units or two teams with half the units available. What do you guys think?

I've always thought two different teams fighting is kind of cool, then again the idea of having one team with a ton of units would create different strategies and options if you had to choose a path to go by. If it was easy to get every unit every game it might ruin some of it but if you had to commit to a certain strategy it might be interesting.

2 teams is pretty cool, as long as they include the option to give units to the other player. I remember doing this in the TA games with a friends and one of us would deal with making units, the other would co-ordinate them and do the combat jobs.

A good variety of units, along with plenty of balance will lead to an awesome game. If you get restricted to unit caps, it can lead to some annoying wars of attrition.

Izayoi

Banned
2 teams is pretty cool, as long as they include the option to give units to the other player. I remember doing this in the TA games with a friends and one of us would deal with making units, the other would co-ordinate them and do the combat jobs.
No need to jump through hoops anymore, Mavor said that you can have multiple players per team. Previously a "team" was really just an alliance, now teams are actual teams. Alliances will still be available for people who prefer the old way, however.

Sh1ner

pledged 40 dollars, I want access to the beta as I had with supcom. Checking out the 40 min video now. The kickstarter video absolutely sold me.

I hope moons orbit planets, planets orbit solar systems and we have asteriod belts. I also hope we can have non circular orbits. That would make tactics very interesting. Also I hope the solar system is not flat on the X axis.

*I assume Gas Giants would be all aerial base/units = oOOoo

DXPett1

NEW ADD-ONS FOR $95 TIER AND ABOVE

Alpha Commander - A unique, in-game commander model designed especially for our Alpha users. See concept art below.

PA Commanders Miniature Set - We’re partnering with a certain miniature company you Kickstarter fans know and love to bring you THREE high quality 3-4 inch miniatures of PA Commanders. These include the Progenitor and Alpha commanders as well as a secret commander that we’ll talk more about later!

If you are pledged at the $95 tier or above you automatically get these additional rewards.

Commander Concepts

New Stretch Goal

Lava and metal planets? Hmmm, certainly not as interesting to me as the other two stretch goals. Still...

Edit: Aaaaaand that comment was a bit premature, given that I didn't read the update description for them. I must approve. No moon indeed!

Izayoi

Banned
This is seriously the best deal of all time. Someone should make a thread if they haven't already, TA for $3 is something that everyone who likes RTS should take up.

Commander Concepts
New Stretch Goal
And here I was thinking I'd be fine with the first two. We're trending past $1.5m, but I don't know how long this momentum will last. I really hope we hit all three of those. Hopefully 4 and 5 are not as cool. :(

Also I love the art style more and more, those commander concepts are amazing.

Sciz

Those commanders are exactly the sort of chunky, personality-filled designs SupCom missed the mark on.

Izayoi

Banned
86906ca997d7307e639744tou5.png

I'm feeling a little more confident about the 1.5m goal, momentum is pretty steady. I have a feeling that 1.7m will be acid, slate, and crystal planets, and the 1.9m/2m will be campaign.

Keasar

Awesome! Really glad to see they managed to reach this one. Hopefully the 1.3 million one isnt far off, really want those orbital units.

Izayoi

Banned
Awesome! Really glad to see they managed to reach this one. Hopefully the 1.3 million one isnt far off, really want those orbital units.
We'll definitely get 1.3m, the only one in question at this point is 1.5m+.

Lava maps and metal maps were my favorites in TA. D:
I always had a soft-spot for lava, though I think that they could do a better job of it. It sounds like they are (structures that can be built in lava, etc.).

Top Bottom