• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetary Annihilation Kickstarter by Uber Entertainment [Ended, $2.33M funded]

DTKT

Man, the score music would be awesome. I might just bump my pledge!

It still seems like a stretch though.

jambo

$1,808,080 pledged.

Galactic War funded.

AhYrB.jpg

Nosgoroth

Woo, we got Galactic War!

Now, since it seems we might get the orchestral soundtrack, I'm upping my pledge to the $40 tier for the OST download.

Deadstar

Nice! Now let's get that soundtrack! This kickstarter is very interesting. So I guess there are many people who want a new RTS with original ideas?

Everybody keeps forgetting that the original soundtrack was composed by Jeremy Soule. It doesn't matter if they get the Viena gospel choir to sing alongside the Berlin Symphonic Orchestra. Without him, it will never be like he original ost.

Lime

The reach of Galactic War made me back the project with $20. I would have opted in earlier if the Fisher Price art style and lack of SP hadn't deterred me so much.

derFeef

Everybody keeps forgetting that the original soundtrack was composed by Jeremy Soule. It doesn't matter if they get the Viena gospel choir to sing alongside the Berlin Symphonic Orchestra. Without him, it will never be like he original ost.

Meh, rather have a real orchestra. Jeremy Soule music sticks out now, all sounds kinda the same.

Durante

I think it's probably in the bag. The game got 120k yesterday, and I don't think I've ever seen a kickstarter slow down over the last 2 days.

Izayoi

Banned
$1,900,000! Looks like we well get the orchestral score, and perhaps even the documentary. I'm blown away, to be honest.

Meh, rather have a real orchestra. Jeremy Soule music sticks out now, all sounds kinda the same.
I notice this while playing GW2 a lot. I have to double check that I'm not running the Skyrim OST in the background or something, some pieces sound almost exactly the same. His music is still good, but it's definitely not as good as it used to be (very little of his modern stuff even comes close to the TA soundtrack).

Unbelievable! This is the first kickstarter I've pledged to, I was a big Total Annihilation fan (and even bigger Supcom/FA heck I still play it 1-2+ times a week). I was super excited for this game and pitched in near the start when 900K seemed so far away, I didn't even know if the game would make it. I check today and it's about to clear $2m, incredible!

Galactic War looks really ambitious I hope they can pull it off. The 2013 date seems really aggressive especially with all of these stretch goals added in now.

My real hope is that they maintain some unit complexity though ala TA/SupComFA... SupCom2 was way too streamlined in that regard.

Sciz

Yeah, Jeremy's TA work is amazing, but he's spent the last decade churning out this very bland, samey, unmemorable style. I ripped the music out of the WoW MoP beta client, and while I was surprised to see his name on about a fourth of it, nothing stood out.

It could just be that that's the sort of music the producers ask for, but it doesn't reflect well on anyone involved.

DTKT

Hell yeah!

I would have taken more features over a docu, but I can't complain about another TA-esque game. :p

jambo

There are normally a flurry of backers and increases in pledges in the last hours, so I'm hoping they hit the documentary target as well!

Fireblend

Banned
And now they're just about to hit the documentary stretch goal. Amazing, didn't see that coming. Wonder what the final tally will be, once the paypal funds are added.

Also, I totally got into one of the limited $15 rewards by refreshing the page until someone switched their pledge to a higher one
images
I'm such a cheap bastard :(

ultron87

Wow, the momentum these things pick up in the last couple days always amazes me.

Hmm, if the soundtrack is going to be orchestral goodness I might need to upgrade to 40 bucks for that and the beta. HMmmmmmmMMMmmm.

Sharp

I hope all the rewards crap doesn't detract too much from the game. I was happy when they announced the $140 tier so I could get more all-digital rewards. Also, given the interest and the average pledge size, I do wonder whether they couldn't have gotten this game funded by more traditional means... I don't think Uber have given any indication that they ever tried.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also, given the interest and the average pledge size, I do wonder whether they couldn't have gotten this game funded by more traditional means... I don't think Uber have given any indication that they ever tried.

The thing is, even if they could, it's likely a worse deal than what Kickstarter gives you, so there's that to consider as well. AFAIK every sale through Kickstarter is a sale they don't have Sony/MS/Apple/Steam/Whoever taking a 30% cut from.

Fireblend

Banned
The thing is, even if they could, it's likely a worse deal than what Kickstarter gives you, so there's that to consider as well. AFAIK every sale through Kickstarter is a sale they don't have Sony/MS/Apple/Steam/Whoever taking a 30% cut from.

+ total creative freedom.

Sharp

No question that it's a good deal for them, especially given how successful it's been. On the other hand, a $2 million budget (probably down to more like $1.5 or $1.4 after all the rewards are distributed and Amazon and Kickstarter get their cuts) isn't a huge amount for what they're trying to do. A publisher could probably have given them that much or even more to work with, and while the game concept is definitely a bit different from most RTSes, I think it's a pretty marketable concept. TA and the SupCom games were pretty popular (or am I wrong about that?) so they have a good base of fans to work with. The game has explosions, superpowered weapons, destructible environments, and online multiplayer, and they've already said their focus is on streamlined resource management and minimal UI, all of which sound like pretty good "mass market" hooks. What would a publisher really want to change about it? Get rid of gas giants or something? Like I said, I'm not complaining--I just think it's interesting that we're now starting to see "bigger" games, games that likely could have gotten funding outside of Kickstarter, go for the crowdfunding route from the getgo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hope all the rewards crap doesn't detract too much from the game. I was happy when they announced the $140 tier so I could get more all-digital rewards. Also, given the interest and the average pledge size, I do wonder whether they couldn't have gotten this game funded by more traditional means... I don't think Uber have given any indication that they ever tried.

Well, publishers generally associate funding RTS games, especially budget RTS games, with sales anathema.

You can't really put them on consoles you see, so most want nothing to do with them.

And now they're just about to hit the documentary stretch goal. Amazing, didn't see that coming. Wonder what the final tally will be, once the paypal funds are added.

Also, I totally got into one of the limited $15 rewards by refreshing the page until someone switched their pledge to a higher one
images
I'm such a cheap bastard :(

Dude, I entered at $20 and switched to the cheaper tier the moment I saw an empty spot.

Cheapassgamers4lyfe!

Sciz

Stream just kicked in.

http://www.twitch.tv/uberchannel

edit: no one told me SMNC has awesome music.

edit2: things are actually happening now.

edit3: Lots of little tidbits about what will and won't be in the game, what their goals are, etc., but probably the most interesting things they've mentioned is that they want it to plug into the spectator/competitive framework they've got in UberNet, and they plan on long-term continued support.

edit4: John Patrick Lowrie and Ellen McLain on air right now.

edit5: Paypal total came out to $101,876.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, they still have to answer to the hordes of whiny fans.

Yeah, about that, I think it depends on the developer but "suggestions from fans" and "demands from the people who can cut your budget at any time" are two different things. I'm not saying that's what they're going to do, but it's not difficult to make it seem like the fans are the ones taking the decisions when they've already been chosen. I'd say this is somewhat noticeable in other "fan co-developed games" such as DFA, not neccesarily because they don't want fans to take decisions, but because the format chosen for the fan-dev interaction isn't very suitable for deep decision-making, and it sure doesn't give fans nowhere near the amount of influence a publisher can have over a dev.

Dude, I entered at $20 and switched to the cheaper tier the moment I saw an empty spot.

Cheapassgamers4lyfe!

*highfive*

Top Bottom