• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

MrBig

I'm getting a little annoyed because I feel like I spend so much time running to the action that by the time I get there, I die within a couple minutes and have to run to the action all over again.

I bought a flying vessel for the first time on my last attempt and flew around confused for awhile before I accidentally exited the ship and fell to my death. :lol

I'd be having more fun if I could get into the action faster.

Map > click any of instant action options.

Jintor

It's funny to me because while I never played the original Planetside and knew little about it, I always thought it was a meticulous game full of highly organized outfits that planned out all kinds of crazy operations and shit. This is mostly due to the fact that during WoW's early days I played a lot with a guild that was a former Planetside outfit, named Liberty. I'd never really bothered with things like voice chat and such in games so their level of organization during the early raids left an especially huge impression on me.

And now cue Planetside 2 which at first seems like a giant zerg clusterfuck where hardly anybody knows what the hell is going on. My first Biolab assault, there were about 50 people milling about near the bottom of the lab because they had absolutely no idea how to get up top since the game doesn't bother telling you about teleporters or jump pads.

That's basically how PS1 was but it's probably exacebated a lot on PS2 just due to the F2P nature. No worries though - roving packs of dogpack outfits in a sea of clueless f2pers (Who are, nonetheless, still having a good time) is still great!

I'm getting a little annoyed because I feel like I spend so much time running to the action that by the time I get there, I die within a couple minutes and have to run to the action all over again.

I bought a flying vessel for the first time on my last attempt and flew around confused for awhile before I accidentally exited the ship and fell to my death. :lol

I'd be having more fun if I could get into the action faster.

You can either quick drop via the map to any hotspot on the current continent, or use the Deployment screen to spawn at any spawn point near where you died.

demolitio

It might seem like a bunch of noobs all rushing one base is all that makes up your faction's ranks, but you'll find squads or platoons that lead the frontline assaults and attack other bases as the idiots all fight in the big battle. Basically, small actions have big consequences in this game even if you're just a few guys out of 2000, because it's all about the territory in the end. Give those idiots all the bases around that bio lab and you can guarantee they'll capture that big base for you eventually.

People say one faction is dumber than the other or whatever, but it's really all about the timing of the rush and who's a part of it. A lot of blitzkrieg strategies end up working out late at night when the numbers are lower and we can't defend all the bases. Very effective.

This actually makes me want a game similar to WWII online to come out. I'd love to see some real strategies play out over Europe.

Ironically, as my rank keeps going up, I find myself feeling more and more like a veteran and end up helping people at the warpgate, lol. Their ranking system is spaced out pretty well apparently.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like the Squads have some control over the flow of the game. When there's two or three decently sized squads moving together, there will also be a bunch of hanger-oners, people who just go with the flow and deploy at the nearest busy fight. This tends to have a snowballing effect as the other side brings in more troops, which results in more deployments on your side. In this way, you can herd the mindless mass that is the bulk of PS2's players, who aren't necessarily bad, but just lack direction and leadership.

Jintor

It's why Sunderer positioning is so important. Just by virtue of lowering the path of resistance you can direct the masses to aid your squad while you tool around getting stuff done.

demolitio

I feel like the Squads have some control over the flow of the game. When there's two or three decently sized squads moving together, there will also be a bunch of hanger-oners, people who just go with the flow and deploy at the nearest busy fight. This tends to have a snowballing effect as the other side brings in more troops, which results in more deployments on your side. In this way, you can herd the mindless mass that is the bulk of PS2's players, who aren't necessarily bad, but just lack direction and leadership.

Exactly. Squads are literally the veteran troops in the battles and control the noobs basically. Get them bases around a bio lab and they'll fight all night and eventually get it while you capture 20 other bases in the meantime.

The teamwork is there with the right people and the noobs are the unnamed privates that die 20 seconds into a war movie.

Haly

It's why Sunderer positioning is so important. Just by virtue of lowering the path of resistance you can direct the masses to aid your squad while you tool around getting stuff done.
The first 30+ cert I got was the Sundy spawning, even though back then I had no idea how to use it. I'm a lot better at Sundying now, it's a good way to bring players where you want them to be and to farm certs at the same time.

The only problem is when a bunch of Sundy's are fighting over spawn locations without any regard for strategic placement.

Haly

Speaking of which, there's a big circle on your minimap you can use to see if you can deploy in a location. Neato!
Although it's kind of annoying that you can't see it from your main map, it would make knowing where I should be driving my Sundy to much easier.

sixghost

It might seem like a bunch of noobs all rushing one base is all that makes up your faction's ranks, but you'll find squads or platoons that lead the frontline assaults and attack other bases as the idiots all fight in the big battle. Basically, small actions have big consequences in this game even if you're just a few guys out of 2000, because it's all about the territory in the end. Give those idiots all the bases around that bio lab and you can guarantee they'll capture that big base for you eventually.

People say one faction is dumber than the other or whatever, but it's really all about the timing of the rush and who's a part of it. A lot of blitzkrieg strategies end up working out late at night when the numbers are lower and we can't defend all the bases. Very effective.

This actually makes me want a game similar to WWII online to come out. I'd love to see some real strategies play out over Europe.

Ironically, as my rank keeps going up, I find myself feeling more and more like a veteran and end up helping people at the warpgate, lol. Their ranking system is spaced out pretty well apparently.
Do large scale vehicle fights ever happen outside of bases? It always seems like one team is completely rolling over the other when it comes to that stuff.
The first 30+ cert I got was the Sundy spawning, even though back then I had no idea how to use it. I'm a lot better at Sundying now, it's a good way to bring players where you want them to be and to farm certs at the same time.

The only problem is when a bunch of Sundy's are fighting over spawn locations without any regard for strategic placement.

Do you get exp when people spawn at your sunderer?

Haly

Do large scale vehicle fights ever happen outside of bases? It always seems like one team is completely rolling over the other when it comes to that stuff.
Sometimes, but not often, it takes a lot of scouting and communication to be able to meet a vehicle push with a counter vehicle push.

demolitio

Do you get exp when people spawn at your sunderer?

Actually, there have been a few HUGE armor battles out in the desert in between two big bases where we had a whole column of vehicles moving up to attack a base and a whole bunch of VS vehicles were apparently heading our way to attack so this random tank battle of the ages happened in the middle of nowhere in the wide open with no places to hide. It actually was the first time I turned the HUD off and took like 20 screenshots as the sun just went down towards the end of the battle and all the shells were lighting up the desert like something out of an engine tech demo.

You won't see it often on that scale but remember that we all can't be everywhere at once. It's all dynamic similar to running into a cool event in the middle of nowhere in a singleplayer game. I'll never know if one bigger has happened yet but I'm sure it has given the scale of it all.

If you want your best chance of seeing a big skirmish, hang around the big bridges on Indar that tanks basically have to use to get to a base and you'll see A LOT of tanks just sit there and play defense as they know enemy armor is bound to show up. They might do it for the kills, but it ensures we control the bridge for Sunderers.

Apparently the next continent will have a lot more chokepoints which will make this epic scene occur more often hopefully, but it's all dynamic. That's the good thing and the bad thing with a game purely driven by other players.

Edit: By the way, going into a tank battle with HE rounds and flanking the long way around is worth it since you can kill every engineer and heavy assault near their tanks. That's fun. :p

Liberty4all

Banned

A successful platoon will have:

A. Squad leaders who have squad beacon certed and set squad waypoints
B. members that will actively try to follow squad leadership orders
C. Will work cohersively to achieve the platoons objectives as set by the platoon leader
D. Have a platoon leader actively using /order and setting faction objectives (I use this to que the Zerg which base is next)
E. Have squad leaders who use smoke grenades to channel hanger oners to key objectives

Basically a disciplined core platoon of 25 - 40 guys can end up making a massive difference while also leading the Zerg to victory. A core squad holding a objective point can be the difference between victory or defeat. A well timed /order asking for say air support at X location can mean the difference between victory or defeat. Ditto constant placement of squad, platoon and factional map waypoints.

The key to enjoying planetside to its fullest is to get social, and ALWAYS try to link up with a squad that is "serious" about working together.

Liberty4all

Banned
Actually, there have been a few HUGE armor battles out in the desert in between two big bases where we had a whole column of vehicles moving up to attack a base and a whole bunch of VS vehicles were apparently heading our way to attack so this random tank battle of the ages happened in the middle of nowhere in the wide open with no places to hide. It actually was the first time I turned the HUD off and took like 20 screenshots as the sun just went down towards the end of the battle and all the shells were lighting up the desert like something out of an engine tech demo.

You won't see it often on that scale but remember that we all can't be everywhere at once. It's all dynamic similar to running into a cool event in the middle of nowhere in a singleplayer game. I'll never know if one bigger has happened yet but I'm sure it has given the scale of it all.

If you want your best chance of seeing a big skirmish, hang around the big bridges on Indar that tanks basically have to use to get to a base and you'll see A LOT of tanks just sit there and play defense as they know enemy armor is bound to show up. They might do it for the kills, but it ensures we control the bridge for Sunderers.

Apparently the next continent will have a lot more chokepoints which will make this epic scene occur more often hopefully, but it's all dynamic. That's the good thing and the bad thing with a game purely driven by other players.

Edit: By the way, going into a tank battle with HE rounds and flanking the long way around is worth it since you can kill every engineer and heavy assault near their tanks. That's fun. :p

On Mattherson we've had some AMAZING tank battles in between bases ... I find (for me personally ) the most dynamic and fun fights happen when 2 enemy columns on the move collide inbetween bases. I also love the small squad skirmishes that can start at little bases and blow out into massive epic battles as both forces zergs end up joining the fray.

demolitio

On Mattherson we've had some AMAZING tank battles in between bases ... I find (for me personally ) the most dynamic and fun fights happen when 2 enemy columns on the move collide inbetween bases. I also love the small squad skirmishes that can start at little bases and blow out into massive epic battles as both forces zergs end up joining the fray.

Exactly. Bases are the same repeated rushes over and over again which are fun and all if done right, but is nothing in comparison to the dynamic encounters. In that sense, it's very much like a real war setting where you have your objective, but you never know what's between you and that objective or if something comes up that you could help out with that would impact the larger war itself while on your way to your own battle. There's plenty of weird engagements between a few squads that remind me of that.

I'm on Mattherson as well by the way, so maybe we've been a part of those same tank battles, lol. I wish I could remember the name of the base it was near since we were in the desert on our way to that base when we ran into VS doing the same thing basically.

It's the little things that make this game click and this is coming from someone who hates future-based shooters and down-time between fights...lol.

The TR outfit on Mattherson needs a lot more people to make a large impact in the war, but for a small squad, we've done a lot to help each night and it's the little things that count.

Liberty4all

Banned
Exactly. Bases are the same repeated rushes over and over again which are fun and all if done right, but is nothing in comparison to the dynamic encounters. In that sense, it's very much like a real war setting where you have your objective, but you never know what's between you and that objective or if something comes up that you could help out with that would impact the larger war itself while on your way to your own battle. There's plenty of weird engagements between a few squads that remind me of that.

I'm on Mattherson as well by the way, so maybe we've been a part of those same tank battles, lol. I wish I could remember the name of the base it was near since we were in the desert on our way to that base when we ran into VS doing the same thing basically.

It's the little things that make this game click and this is coming from someone who hates future-based shooters and down-time between fights...lol.

The TR outfit on Mattherson needs a lot more people to make a large impact in the war, but for a small squad, we've done a lot to help each night and it's the little things that count.

It would have happened in between Quartz Ridge and one of the TR bases North of quartz.. Quartz is the gate base and choke point (has 3 points), that once taken the road to Hvar (Vanus closest tech pant) is open. As a result we constantly have armour columns staging at Quartz in part as thats where the desert starts.

TR on the other hand are usually heading south to Quartz. I love that part of Indar where all the desert base are.

Jintor

I also really like how roads really are the way to move just due to how likely you are to tip your vehicle over. You can go offroad if you're slow and careful about it, but the likelihood of being strafed or just meeting a random on the way who blows the crap out of you generally makes it non-preferable.

demolitio

It would have happened in between Quartz Ridge and one of the TR bases North of quartz.. Quartz is the gate base and choke point (has 3 points), that once taken the road to Hvar (Vanus closest tech pant) is open. As a result we constantly have armour columns staging at Quartz in part as thats where the desert starts.

TR on the other hand are usually heading south to Quartz. I love that part of Indar where all the desert base are.

Thank you, it was around Quartz Ridge. With short term memory loss, I'm left scrambling trying to remember names of bases and vehicles, but I think I got the vehicles down finally...lol

Another big battle was on our way to Quartz as well, but we've had quite a few skirmishes there for sure. I love that part as well since it plays out so different than the rest thanks to the openness of it all. It reminds me of the BF3 tank mission.

docbon

So, the spawn beacon + tank mine combo is pretty incredible. no one notices a drop pod coming down directly onto their spawn point, and once it reaches the ground, it's already game over. all it requires is a well placed beacon relatively close to the target sunderer.

DrFurbs

Has the game been patched recently to improve performance?i read its a system killer hence i havent dowmloaded it yet.

Core duo 3ghz cpu
Radeon hd 4850 1 gig
4gig ram

Ketch

yo haly i know you're here

Do you play Hawken at all?

lol at this post. I don't even know why I'm laughing so hard.

YO JOHN! You got GAF? Want to play HALO next Thursday!?

It's hard to find any decent outfits on Helios for TR. I played with these dudes tonight, HACK I think they were. We were owning shit. Moved the forward edge of the battle area way up, and then had to fall back to a biodome to defend, we held it down forever until eventually every territory around us was taken and we decided to fall back and then retake it later.

They made me bravo squad leader because I have a spawn becon and a sundy with AMS. I was able to make some good objectives with my squad, holding down control points and taking over teleporter entrances from the enemy. But at the end of the night when I asked for an outfit invite, I got nothing. =(

Haly

yo haly i know you're here

Do you play Hawken at all?
No, not anymore. Kind of gave up on it, although not for any specific reason. I just lost interest after Alpha ended and now I have Planetside 2.

Carcetti

I'm liking this game more and more, and it supports my support style playing so well. I mostly drive a sundy with spawnpoint and ammo dispenser, repair other people's vehicles and lob grenades from the sundy launcher. I feel like I could stash my rifle in the car and never even need it now.

So I'm off doing my own thing before bed and I run into [NGAF] Demo. By chance I flag him down and ask if that is the Neogaf outfit and it was!

So then we proceeded to two man an amp station in the south on Indar while the dirty VS were up North fighting.

Easiest Amp ever.

demolitio

So I'm off doing my own thing before bed and I run into [NGAF] Demo. By chance I flag him down and ask if that is the Neogaf outfit and it was!

So then we proceeded to two man an amp station in the south on Indar while the dirty VS were up North fighting.

Easiest Amp ever.

A very easy night to capture pretty much everything in sight. People are so blinded by the big stations on the frontlines that they forget everything else apparently...lol.

Well, besides that damn Liberator who I have on my hitlist.

It was nice conquering the world with you. Don't hesitate to message me if you see me hop on. I'll just follow you and cap. :p

meep!

Neo Member
This game is so amazing, the more I play it the better it gets!

On another note, I was watching Buzzcutphyscos stream yesterday when this happend, thankfully he made a highlight of it. This gotta be the craziest thing I've seen in the game, I don't know how many kills he is getting but it is a lot!

http://www.twitch.tv/buzzcutpsycho/c/1758372

Wes

venison crêpe
That never happens to me in my lib. We always get shot down before anything good happens.

BuzzCut is pretty good for us TRs. I TK'd him once (was shooting in to the sky and didn't see him on the road when I ran him over in my tank). Very gentlemanly about it!

Haly

WoW NC has some great weapons jesus christ.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This game is so amazing, the more I play it the better it gets!

On another note, I was watching Buzzcutphyscos stream yesterday when this happend, thankfully he made a highlight of it. This gotta be the craziest thing I've seen in the game, I don't know how many kills he is getting but it is a lot!

http://www.twitch.tv/buzzcutpsycho/c/1758372

Went from 241 certs to 277. 36 Certs in about 1 minute :lol

Think I saw Razgriz on his kill list :lol

Liberty4all

Banned
Man was a living legend back in PS1 days ... I didn't realize he still played although I guess I should have given that enclave is tr.

I seek out squads/platoons that work like that. Really, just find any squad whose title is "MICS" and you're usually golden.

A friend and I joined this platoon that was super organized. They'd set up a platoon beacon and wait for everyone to gather. Typically we'd have 3-4 tanks, 2-3 sunderers, 2 galaxies, 2-3 liberators, and a few mosquitos, all hovering/sitting in the same place until the order to move was given.

My friend and I were in our liberator, and he has the 150MM cannon. We'd hover as high as possible when we moved on a base and take out turrets (which go down in 2-3 150MM hits).

The coolest thing I saw was one of the galaxies hovering over a bio lab landing pat, and shooting down ~10 Maxes in drop pods, which then stormed into the base. So badass.

Yup, really can't be underestimated. Our team was in the middle of a viscious firefight over open terrain--this small station was basically isolated, with no cover. We had high ground, but couldn't advance, and they even started pushing us back, almost to the one sunderer we had.

I checked the map and noticed we had a base about 800m south of what we were trying to cap, so I spawned there and drove a sunderer up from the south and parked behind a big rock 300m from the base. With this, we effectively had them pinned and just started destroying. I was really surprised no one had tried that--sometimes really obvious advantages aren't used.

As was stated, yup, and these are always amazing, as they require a lot more strategy than "hole up in the base defenses/chokepoints". Usually it's one offensive moving from a recently capped base, running into the opposing team's counteroffensive.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yup, really can't be underestimated. Our team was in the middle of a viscious firefight over open terrain--this small station was basically isolated, with no cover. We had high ground, but couldn't advance, and they even started pushing us back, almost to the one sunderer we had.

I checked the map and noticed we had a base about 800m south of what we were trying to cap, so I spawned there and drove a sunderer up from the south and parked behind a big rock 300m from the base. With this, we effectively had them pinned and just started destroying. I was really surprised no one had tried that--sometimes really obvious advantages aren't used.

I've attempted to do this a couple of times, but usually my sunderer is spotted and destroyed before I find a nice flanking spot.

Though, I did enjoy a battle on The Bastion on Amerish. Parked on the Bridge, mostly under the cover of the "roof" of the bridge. While the main force cleared out The Bastion, Me in the Sunderer on the bridge, and tanks guarding the other end of the bridge, took out the crew station there, and used the bridge as cover as we took out dozens of libs and jets.

Think I like the area around the Bastion the best so far. That plus that large field southeast of there. Some of GAF VS had a nice battle there a couple nights ago.

Jhriad

It's only after a non-paying player has put in a significant amount of time playing (the grind) before he or she can stand equal with a paying player.

That one sentence is basically admittance that it isn't pay-to-win. Every F2P game worth a hoot works off the same basic principle; You can invest your time or to achieve the same results quicker you can spend money. That's not pay to win as the 'time investment' player can still achieve the same result without a cash infusion. It simply takes a great deal of time (cert point costs and such are a different discussion entirely). Too many people misunderstand the "pay-to-win" concept as being one in the same with the model I described.

A paying member will always have the benefits stated above to lord over those who don't pay.

Except for those that play a great deal and are able to earn xp at a decent pace. Over time the differences between the SC playerbase and the 'time investment' playerbase will be minimal and the only advantage the SC playerbase holds will be a larger variety of options. Of course nearly at launch the SC players will have some small advantage (an advantage not hard to overcome with actual skill) because the time investment playerbase hasn't yet had enough time with the game to build up cert points. It would be the same if you launched League of Legends now and people used money to acquire runes. The rune equipped players would have a small but noticeable advantage but over time the players investing time would begin to catch up to the cash laden players.

Time is the ultimate equalizer. ;)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PS2 is a pay-to-win title for the majority of players, for the majority of time they play, until they unlock every substantial weapon. Allow me to elaborate:

Two players of equal skill meet on the battlefield. Both players are familiar with the game and both have saved their certs for something good. Both players choose the same class, heavy assault, and they meet at high noon, 50 paces apart, above the boughs of the Leopardwood Nursery. They've agreed to a dogfight between faction fighters. Up until now, everything about them have been the same, but player A has a secret up her sleeve: she's what the F2P industry calls a "whale".

Player A subscribed the moment the game launched - she has had a 25% bonus to XP gain, resource gain, passive cert gain, and 500 station cash. Because the game has only been out a month, this is all she gets. In the future, her benefits will increase to 50%. This puts her at an advantage before the duel even begins - if both players had earned 1000 certs on their own, then player A has at least 1250. But that's not at all because Player A also bought $20 worth of Station Cash and purchased A2A missiles. She used the 1250 certs to get a dogfighting frame and flares. Player B hasn't spent any money - she used her certs to get the A2A missiles, but that's it. Since both are equal skill, the equipment Player A purchased allows her to win the dogfight. Player A flies circles around Player B, flares out of the missile lock, and blows Player B out of the sky.

Player A is satisfied with spending a few bucks to win in a video game and she will do the same to kit out her MBT, MAX suit, and anything else she wants. It's just a few bucks, what's the big deal? That's what the industry calls a whale and PS2 needs only a few whales out of a thousand players to sustain itself.

It's only after a non-paying player has put in a significant amount of time playing (the grind) before he or she can stand equal with a paying player. Game design has crossed over and become business design in PS2, and the game is built to make it very hard to determine the difference between the two. None of this is to say that player skill isn't a causal factor in winning, because it is. I'm sure we can find a few others on here that will agree with me on that, but it can never be said that Planetside 2 is not pay-to-win. A paying member will always have the benefits stated above to lord over those who don't pay.
I don't think all the money in the world is going to help people if they don't know the mechanics and systems, or don't know how to work as a team.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've never understood people who complain that they can't be competitive in F2P games without paying.

It's not a charity, the developers want to get paid for their work so obviously the game is going to be designed in such a way as to encourage that.

Haly

I've never understood people who complain that they can't be competitive in F2P games without paying.

It's not a charity, the developers want to get paid for their work so obviously the game is going to be designed in such a way as to encourage that.
A lot of people yearn for the days of "pay once play forever", so it's somewhat understandable.

Grief.exe

That one sentence is basically admittance that it isn't pay-to-win. Every F2P game worth a hoot works off the same basic principle; You can invest your time or to achieve the same results quicker you can spend money. That's not pay to win as the 'time investment' player can still achieve the same result without a cash infusion. It simply takes a great deal of time (cert point costs and such are a different discussion entirely). Too many people misunderstand the "pay-to-win" concept as being one in the same with the model I described.

Except for those that play a great deal and are able to earn xp at a decent pace. Over time the differences between the SC playerbase and the 'time investment' playerbase will be minimal and the only advantage the SC playerbase holds will be a larger variety of options. Of course nearly at launch the SC players will have some small advantage (an advantage not hard to overcome with actual skill) because the time investment playerbase hasn't yet had enough time with the game to build up cert points. It would be the same if you launched League of Legends now and people used money to acquire runes. The rune equipped players would have a small but noticeable advantage but over time the players investing time would begin to catch up to the cash laden players.

Time is the ultimate equalizer. ;)

Excellent points.

I personally believed that pay2win is technically defined as paying to get things normal players cannot have.
Simple way to look at it and PS2 allows any player access to every item.

Top Bottom