• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

MrBig

On another note this game has amazing surround positioning, one of the few games where I notice sounds being 'above and behind' or flying 'above and through' the soundscape as in movies. Fantastic.

Yeah the sound tech is fantastic. Wish there was a bit more variation in weapon sounds though, most of the guns sound exactly the same per faction so it's hard to tell weapon types apart. Doesn't help that most of the guns are visually similar as well.

sixghost

It's surprising how much you can get done by finding an unguarded route into a base, even when I had to take down a guy or two I thought I was done for, but nobody really took notice.

I'm definitely having the same problem as in Battlefield where I try to heal/repair and the person sprints/drives away, even when I offer them repairs or healing. The difference in this game being if a tank you are chasing to repair suddenly backs up, you are a pancake lol.

On another note this game has amazing surround positioning, one of the few games where I notice sounds being 'above and behind' or flying 'above and through' the soundscape as in movies. Fantastic.

They need to do something about this. I'm getting better about dodging idiots who don't realize they are being repaired, but it's the fucking worst when it happens. Maybe make the repair distance greater so I don't need to hug the tank to repair, or make it extremely clear to the driver when they are being repaired so they know to stop moving.

Jintor

I get the feeling repairing/healing should feel like being a medic in TF2, but somehow it feels so... weak here. Medi-beaming in TF2 feels really weighty or strong, I'm not sure why it feels so crap in PS2

Soi-Fong

I've been getting hard locks with the game very 3 or so hours.. Anyone else get this?

Few Screenies from today.

Huge night assault on Peris.

PlanetSide22012-12-0416-16-37-15.png

Love the feeling that this game gives you being a part of a huge convoy. Of course, with a huge convoy, people tend to run people over as in the case on the top right shows.

PlanetSide22012-12-0416-29-47-49.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I get the feeling repairing/healing should feel like being a medic in TF2, but somehow it feels so... weak here. Medi-beaming in TF2 feels really weighty or strong, I'm not sure why it feels so crap in PS2
It's pretty weak, I think, because after a someone's shield is ripped off they tend to die pretty fast, healers or no healers, and this is not taking into account the amount of damage flying around in large encounters. So, really, PS2's medic's effective healing is significantly lower than its TF2 counterpart.

Some things that might help are:
1) Increased range (standing behind a HA is a nono)
2) Drastically higher hp regen
3) Bonus health buffer at max health

I feel like the primary purpose of a medic is to keep a push moving by reviving people who died and then getting them up to serviceable health levels, and not as an proactive healer. Perhaps that's the intention.

Shai-Tan

Banned
They need to do something about this. I'm getting better about dodging idiots who don't realize they are being repaired, but it's the fucking worst when it happens. Maybe make the repair distance greater so I don't need to hug the tank to repair, or make it extremely clear to the driver when they are being repaired so they know to stop moving.

yes, this. they could also improve this by adding more hints for things like repair when you press q button. right now when you press q on an ally in a vehicle it will ask them to stop to let you catch a ride but there isn't anything similar for repair like in battlefield

Shai-Tan

Banned
Love the feeling that this game gives you being a part of a huge convoy. Of course, with a huge convoy, people tend to run people over as in the case on the top right shows.

It's definitely cool but also little weird when you get a big infantry zerg all running across the countryside together. It's a sign that I should be going elsewhere to take territory.

yes, this. they could also improve this by adding more hints for things like repair when you press q button. right now when you press q on an ally in a vehicle it will ask them to stop to let you catch a ride but there isn't anything similar for repair like in battlefield

I have noticed this on a lot of vehicles but oddly enough it sometimes gives me the option, on both ground and air vehicles, yet other times like you said I would just end up yelling for a pickup.

So there is definitely an option in the game, and there is voice recorded for when you do it "I'll get that fixed right up" etc. I'm pretty sure the times that it lets me use it is when the vehicle is below half health.

Log4Girlz

I've been getting hard locks with the game very 3 or so hours.. Anyone else get this?

Few Screenies from today.

Huge night assault on Peris.

PlanetSide22012-12-0416-16-37-15.png

PlanetSide22012-12-0416-29-47-49.png

I only had hard locks when trying to use cross fire.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I have noticed this on a lot of vehicles but oddly enough it sometimes gives me the option, on both ground and air vehicles, yet other times like you said I would just end up yelling for a pickup.

So there is definitely an option in the game, and there is voice recorded for when you do it "I'll get that fixed right up" etc. I'm pretty sure the times that it lets me use it is when the vehicle is below half health.

hmm, guess I just haven't repaired enough. I suppose if they do actually have the option that it should pioritize that if the repair tool is out.

there are some other improvements they could make to the contextual q like not asking for ammo over and over when I'm just trying to spot enemies :) especially on vanu where it's asking for "batteries". if i woudln't lose my progress I would quit faction just to not listen to "need more batteries" and "do you have any batteries?" over and over :)

sixghost

It doesn't help that the graphic representation of the heal or repair beam is hilariously shitty. It looks like a placeholder. The lack of a 'lock-on healing' type thing is sorely missing too. Being able to heal someone while facing the opposite direction in TF2 was great.

Jintor

By the way... can Galaxies drop vehicles somehow? We were in the middle of a furious battle for a watch tower and I turn around and there was a motherfucking friendly tank on the middle of the enemy helipad.

demolitio

Are trials extremely buggy or something? I haven't had a trial in a few days but nothing happens when I click "Try now" still. I really want to test a Medic gun and some carbines so I can decide what to buy. If anyone has experience with some of the TR unlocks, please let me know if it's worth it or not. I got a bolt action sniper and that's worth it when I don't even play that class often, lol.

Once that double station cash sale comes around again, everything will be mine. I decided not to get one of the games on my Christmas buy list (a thing a poor sick person with medical bills has to do so don't think I'm a little kid...lol) just so I can spend more on this game since I enjoy it so much. I think I'll be smart and save some SC though for the next content update since I remember Tribes basically milking people by making them spend it all one day on new stuff, and then come back the next month with even more stuff to buy but they already spent it all on the last update making them spend more than they wanted to and effectively making them stop using the weapon they bought previously...

Sarcasm

Are trials extremely buggy or something? I haven't had a trial in a few days but nothing happens when I click "Try now" still. I really want to test a Medic gun and some carbines so I can decide what to buy. If anyone has experience with some of the TR unlocks, please let me know if it's worth it or not. I got a bolt action sniper and that's worth it when I don't even play that class often, lol.

Once that double station cash sale comes around again, everything will be mine. I decided not to get one of the games on my Christmas buy list (a thing a poor sick person with medical bills has to do so don't think I'm a little kid...lol) just so I can spend more on this game since I enjoy it so much. I think I'll be smart and save some SC though for the next content update since I remember Tribes basically milking people by making them spend it all one day on new stuff, and then come back the next month with even more stuff to buy but they already spent it all on the last update making them spend more than they wanted to and effectively making them stop using the weapon they bought previously...

Did you go to menu gun pane and equip it for a loadout?

Jintor

Motherfucking game keeps crashing, mainly while I'm flying around. Probably disagreeing with loading so many cells at once or something. WHICH BLOWS FLYING IS AWESOME

mr_nothin

Banned
So it seems they're content with stability and we're now entering back into new content/fps improvement patch phase :D
They're almost done with a big fps boost optmization but it'll require a new download of the game. Fair trade if it really boosts fps.

Also, new weapons tomorrow!! New carbines & sniper rifles. New Anti Vehicle stuff next week including better AA.

Sarcasm

So it seems they're content with stability and we're now entering back into new content/fps improvement patch phase :D

They're almost done with a big fps boost optmization but it'll require a new download of the game. Fair trade if it really boosts fps.

Wait..as in uninstall and reinstall?

Soktos

Also, new weapons tomorrow!! New carbines & sniper rifles. New Anti Vehicle stuff next week including better AA.

Where did you see this? Very exciting!!!

Sarcasm

I am getting angry.

Why is my HA certed into HP and shield regen..when I activate @ full I die in 3 hits to medics and junk....yet a HA TR can take like 5 bullets and live.

Now I am getting that LA bug where I lose the ability to use my jump pack after dying once.

Grief.exe

Why isn't there a 2x scope for the VX6-7?

I either have to choose a 1x scope or a 3.4x scope.

I go with the 3.4x scope which kind of screws me for close quarters, I usually just hip fire but its not as accurate as I'd like.

I am getting angry.

Why is my HA certed into HP and shield regen..when I activate @ full I die in 3 hits to medics and junk....yet a HA TR can take like 5 bullets and live.

Now I am getting that LA bug where I lose the ability to use my jump pack after dying once.

Depends where you get hit maybe? I've taken down HAs using my medic with the health regen on active and their nanomesh up. That and the HP (Nanoweave) cert is worthless over the first point. It gives you a % of health but health pools are so low that (according to math from the beta) while the first cert into it will let you survive an extra bullet, the rest doesn't increase your HP enough to survive another

Love that we're getting new content already, really hope a new SC sale happens soon...

So I tried this game and I'm actually having a lot of fun with it now that I now what I'm doing. I managed to get to battle rank 10 and have a few hundred certs under my belt. I started with an infiltrator then found I had much more fun as a HA. I chose the purple people eater faction.

So here's my question. What's the best suit upgrade? The faster shield regen or the boosted health? I know the weapons are different for the factions but I'm guessing the things you can cert into for the classes themselves are the same or similar. I'm pretty set on what I'm going to do for guns and attachments anyway. That gun trial system is actually pretty cool.

Edit: That post above me pretty much answers my question. It felt like health wasn't much at all and the percentage increase wasn't going to do much.

Anton668

if I already missed the talk please move on....

SOE President Vows to "Hunt Down" Planetside 2 Hackers

John Smedley warns that Sony will "find you and your family" if you use cheats in the game.

When a cheater can sprint across maps at ridiculous speeds and pull off headshots at will, it tends to ruin the game for everyone else. Planetside 2 is no exception, with plenty of hacking complaints on the official forums. Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley seems to have had enough, unleashing a heated tirade on Twitter claiming that Planetside 2 hackers will be "hunted down" and banned.

Smedley started off by stating that anyone using aimbots would eventually be caught, and that detected hackers were "being banned left and right". He also encouraged users to report any alleged hackers for investigation.

"We have guys who's (sic) purpose in life is to ban the bad guys and dumbasses that use hacking tools," he continues. "We aren't commenting on the methods (used to detect hackers). Needless to say we have a lot of ways to accomplish a goal."

A user stated that hackers could simply create a new account and have their hack updated, but Smedley coolly replied, "Let me know how that goes for them."

The next day, Smedley revealed that "Haruhi at artificialaiming.com" and all their associated accounts had been banned.

"Goodbye you scumbag," he said. "Find a new hobby or get good at the game."

When asked whether SOE could cross reference the names found on the hacking website to take down more cheaters, Smedley insisted that it wasn't necessary. "Use it.. we'll find you. We'll find your family. We'll hunt you down."

Grief.exe

So I tried this game and I'm actually having a lot of fun with it now that I now what I'm doing. I managed to get to battle rank 10 and have a few hundred certs under my belt. I started with an infiltrator then found I had much more fun as a HA. I chose the purple people eater faction.

So here's my question. What's the best suit upgrade? The faster shield regen or the boosted health? I know the weapons are different for the factions but I'm guessing the things you can cert into for the classes themselves are the same or similar. I'm pretty set on what I'm going to do for guns and attachments anyway. That gun trial system is actually pretty cool.

Larger health, anything that keeps you alive longer will be the best investment.

Mupod

God I love the Flare (Vanu LMG). Already halfway to the...whatever is better than Gold medal.

But yeah I tried out resist shield + nanoweave armor and it's much, much more effective than the default HA ability. At least the way I use it. I'm more vulnerable to surprise attacks I guess, but with those you're usually dead even with the default shield. Resist shield at rank 4 regenerates so fast I can have it up almost every time I need it, which means I can shoot people with my Flare more often which means I'm happy.

Spazznid

It/nv covers the screen in an effect. I want to record hudless, gunless gameplay. Zoomed is cool and all but I also want high fov shots.

MrBig

It/nv covers the screen in an effect. I want to record hudless, gunless gameplay. Zoomed is cool and all but I also want high fov shots.

There's a glitch I've used a few times in which you quick knife at the same time as you enter a vehicle and it'll make your hands/gun disappear. May take a few tries

God I love the Flare (Vanu LMG). Already halfway to the...whatever is better than Gold medal.

But yeah I tried out resist shield + nanoweave armor and it's much, much more effective than the default HA ability. At least the way I use it. I'm more vulnerable to surprise attacks I guess, but with those you're usually dead even with the default shield. Resist shield at rank 4 regenerates so fast I can have it up almost every time I need it, which means I can shoot people with my Flare more often which means I'm happy.
I trialed the Flare and another gun and I'm going to be getting the Flare tonight. I think I only need about 30 certs and that should be easy pickings. Yeah it fires a tad slower (hence lower overall DPS), but I was wrecking fools with it. I had a very clear sense that my bullets were doing more damage than the Orion and I loved it. Can't wait to get some attachments and the soft point ammo. Mm yeah.

alphaNoid

Banned
Starting to get frustrated with this game. Last night I spent a good hour just fiddling with settings trying to get something above ~25-30 in moderate action. The best I could get was render quality to 85 (lower didn't change fps), most settings on Low with a few on Medium. Shadows etc.. were on Low. At the warpgate I got about 40-50 FPS, in any action it drops in half to 20-30 sometimes dopping into the teens.

Oddly the other night I had everything on high with a few medium settings and was getting better performance. But last night when I tried doing that, clearly much worse.. much worse. I know my machine isn't cutting edge but for its age, and overclocks I can play every other game out there currently.. many on high. Only games like BF3 do I need to turn down a few settings.

Specs

Q6600 Core2Quad 2.4Ghz @ 3.0Ghz
5850 @ 850/1200 (12.11 beta drivers)
4GB DDR2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

I know I need an upgrade but this is the only game that literally runs like shit on my machine. Anyone have any advice short of spending money right now? lol

Orayn

You are definitely CPU-limited with that setup. Turning down effects, particles, and flora to low should help the most, and every other setting else you can fiddle around with until you're happy with performance. Smedley also alluded to a large patch in the future that would supposedly help with performance.

Deadly

Starting to get frustrated with this game. Last night I spent a good hour just fiddling with settings trying to get something above ~25-30 in moderate action. The best I could get was render quality to 85 (lower didn't change fps), most settings on Low with a few on Medium. Shadows etc.. were on Low. At the warpgate I got about 40-50 FPS, in any action it drops in half to 20-30 sometimes dopping into the teens.

Oddly the other night I had everything on high with a few medium settings and was getting better performance. But last night when I tried doing that, clearly much worse.. much worse. I know my machine isn't cutting edge but for its age, and overclocks I can play every other game out there currently.. many on high. Only games like BF3 do I need to turn down a few settings.

Specs

Q6600 Core2Quad 2.4Ghz @ 3.0Ghz
5850 @ 850/1200 (12.11 beta drivers)
4GB DDR2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

I know I need an upgrade but this is the only game that literally runs like shit on my machine. Anyone have any advice short of spending money right now? lol
Turn shadows and flora OFF in useroptions.ini . Also reduce the render distance to something like 1000.
Check this out: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/13pzb1/fps_settings_which_helped_me_improve_kd_to_30/

Top Bottom