• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

mr_nothin

Banned
They finally recover from last night's blitzkrieg all over? :D

By the way, what should I get for my Mosquito next? I know you got flares, but I assume you got some of the other useful stuff now too. Taking a guess added armor or the better hovering?

If you're doing casual runs then I wouldnt go for the air frames just yet. Probably get armor if you run into a lot of AA. If you get taken out by A2A missiles alot then get flares. It really just depends on what gets on your nerves more lol

TheD

The Detective
If you're doing casual runs then I wouldnt go for the air frames just yet. Probably get armor if you run into a lot of AA. If you get taken out by A2A missiles alot then get flares. It really just depends on what gets on your nerves more lol

Real men fly in ditches, around hills and buildings to lose missile lock.
I have never been taken out by a missile :)

P.S
What ever you do, don't get the radar, it is useless due to it's slow scanning speed.

mr_nothin

Banned
Real men fly in ditches, around hills and buildings to lose missile lock.
I have never been taken out by a missile :)

P.S
What ever you do, don't get the radar, it is useless due to it's slow scanning speed.

And I bet you fly on Amerish all day long too ;)
I've been learning to deal with A2A missles but they're still too effective and easy right now.

Those last couple hours on Indor were rough.
Mattherson right?
TR was kicking some serious ass until we ran into a dead end at freakin Hvar. Those tech plants need a revamp ASAP! Now TR is being overrun by VS's magriders.

demolitio

Yea, AA missiles only really annoy me in certain regions of the continents where there's not a lot of cover, otherwise I can ditch them. Mosquito flying is my favorite thing in the game even though I need to drop some of my Battlefield tendencies. Not as easy to have air superiority when there's 100x the planes in the sky as BF.

Soi-Fong

Man that was the first time I've been in a biolab fight. Crazy as hell. Surprised since my fps was actually very playable with the one exception of 5 grenades popping around me and a few guys. lol

Liberty4all

Banned
And I bet you fly on Amerish all day long too ;)
I've been learning to deal with A2A missles but they're still too effective and easy right now.

Mattherson right?
TR was kicking some serious ass until we ran into a dead end at freakin Hvar. Those tech plants need a revamp ASAP! Now TR is being overrun by VS's magriders.

yup mattherson. I lead the defense of hvar and my platoon kicked some serious ass. After hvar we went on to lock the tr in their warpgate. Where they belong :)

Soi-Fong

yup mattherson. I lead the defense of hvar and my platoon kicked some serious ass. After hvar we went on to lock the tr in their warpgate. Where they belong :)

Hey Bamelin good job man. I was Nirkia if you didn't know. Today was crazy. Surprised we survived the onslaught on HVAR.

Ianan

So over the past 2 days I've banked up 1200 certs for whatever I base my next video on if any of you guys have any suggestions? I was going to do a Lightning Equipment/Certification guide and how to use it effectively depending on what role you want to use it for.

Thought I'd do the Lightning since its a universal vehicle!
Also going to do a quick comparison video of the IR Optics vs the Thermal Optics for obvious reasons.

Keasar

So over the past 2 days I've banked up 1200 certs for whatever I base my next video on if any of you guys have any suggestions? I was going to do a Lightning Equipment/Certification guide and how to use it effectively depending on what role you want to use it for.

Thought I'd do the Lightning since its a universal vehicle!
Also going to do a quick comparison video of the IR Optics vs the Thermal Optics for obvious reasons.

So far, absolutely loving the IR Optics. We use it for my "Groundpounder" liberator that have a Dalton cannon and Bulldog mortar. Nothing on the ground survives. Or in the air for that matter.

kitch9

Banned
I tried to play the Steam version tonight, this is how it went:

- Installed in no time
- Couldn't log in to my account, even though I could with the same credentials on the website.
- Had to reset password to log in (this whole process took half an hour because it either wouldn't reset or it'd ask me again even when I'd already done it).
- When I could finally log in, the game wouldn't even launch. 'PlanetSide2.exe has stopped working'. Great.
- Repeated the above several times.
- Verified the game files with the PS2 client option, it crashed.
- Verified files with Steam, still wouldn't work.
- Uninstalled.

Are you in Europe? The Steam version needs "environment=PSG" without the commas adding to launchpad.ini in the games folder to run in Europe.

Liberty4all

Banned
Any Sunderers with AA cannon capabilities?

Skyguards are actually certed on the Lightening. And as DTKT mentioned they are horrible, moving coffins that have a better chance of killing infantry by running them over than actually killing aircraft.

Dina

Any Sunderers with AA cannon capabilities?

Best AA is dual burster MAX, but that is 1000 cert points and still won't kill an ESF. You need at least two to down a flyer and even then it acts as a 'deterrent'. By the same token, the G2A missile from the Heavy won't take down a flyer, even more if it has flares. Base turrets then? Destroyer in one clip from the rocketpods. The same A2A rocket on the ESF's are worth it though, funny enough. So it's either go air yourselves or go bust.

I think it's stupid, but they don't want ground to be a hard counter to flying units. They want flying units to be a hard counter to flyers. Which is stupid when the rocketpods of the ESF's are fucking bullshit since they counter EVERYTHING on the ground hard. Infantry, MBT's, Lightnings, everything. When combined with night vision or infrared vision there's no hiding from them. The vastly superior mobility also doesn't help. So ground can't touch air, but air can touch ground.

They also beat Liberators pretty handily. As a matter of fact, ESF's are better mobile gunplatforms than Liberators are because they float so well, while retaining the option to dogfight or straferun.

What's also funny is that for flyers, killing ground targets gives a lot more XP than taking out enemy ESF's so it's better to equip your flyer with A2G equipment and rake in the certs than go hunting other ESF's since that pays less. Why go for objectives when simply killing provides better XP. And nothing kills better than an ESF.

I know, teamplay yaddayadda taking one for the team yaddayadda. Flight has a learning curve, but it's still pretty forgiving in Planetside 2. Just fly around your dome if you need a bit of training. Doesn't matter much when five ESF's are keeping you spawnlocked in your base while you can't do anything back.

But it's always the same in FPS's with vehicular combat. Most developers can't balance air properly and air is almost always the overpowered option when games launch. BF2's air was the same, BF3's air was the same.

Now that people are finding that rocketpods combines with IR/NV-optics are the best option no matter what, you're gonna be seeing them more and more.

DTKT

I wouldn't be surprised at a slight nerf for Rockets. Maybe something like -25% damage and -25% explosion radius.

MrBig

Single infantry units were able to take out air quickly in the beta at several points. It was absolutely abysmal each time they tried out balancing it for that side and resulted in air being near worthless if a squad can just set up a single AA max at the corner of whatever base is being assaulted to stop anything from entering the airspace. Now it actually takes effort and organization and multiple AA maxes to fend off an air raid if air resistance can't be organized

So what's the bottom line on PS2. Is it a pay to win title or just a vanity, exp boosting cash shop?

Vanity/exp mostly and you can purchase sidegrade weapons, all the real upgrades are earned exclusively via ingame actions

Orayn

So what's the bottom line on PS2. Is it a pay to win title or just a vanity, exp boosting cash shop?

Its general style falls somewhere between TF2 and Tribes Ascend. You can unlock new weapons and equipment with either cash or in-game currency, but the unlocks are almost all sidegrades and getting new stuff isn't an intolerable grind. The scale of the game also lessens the impact of not having the unlocks to fill a particular role, since your team consists of hundreds of players and someone else is bound to have access to it.

Ianan

I can't comment on the state of Flak/AA/Skyguards since I never use them but I do see a lot of complaints about its weakness.
I was asking Higby about this and he was saying neither of these were designed to be a hard counter for aircraft. The only hard counter for aircraft is other aircraft, AA/Flak etc is only designed to be a deterrent for aircraft and a hard counter in numbers it seems.

They need to at least decrease the cert/SC cost of the Skyguard if this is the case though. 1kcerts/700 station cash is asking to much if its something designed as a deterrent.

sixghost

Best AA is dual burster MAX, but that is 1000 cert points and still won't kill an ESF. You need at least two to down a flyer and even then it acts as a 'deterrent'. By the same token, the G2A missile from the Heavy won't take down a flyer, even more if it has flares. Base turrets then? Destroyer in one clip from the rocketpods. The same A2A rocket on the ESF's are worth it though, funny enough. So it's either go air yourselves or go bust.

I think it's stupid, but they don't want ground to be a hard counter to flying units. They want flying units to be a hard counter to flyers. Which is stupid when the rocketpods of the ESF's are fucking bullshit since they counter EVERYTHING on the ground hard. Infantry, MBT's, Lightnings, everything. When combined with night vision or infrared vision there's no hiding from them. The vastly superior mobility also doesn't help. So ground can't touch air, but air can touch ground.

They also beat Liberators pretty handily. As a matter of fact, ESF's are better mobile gunplatforms than Liberators are because they float so well, while retaining the option to dogfight or straferun.

What's also funny is that for flyers, killing ground targets gives a lot more XP than taking out enemy ESF's so it's better to equip your flyer with A2G equipment and rake in the certs than go hunting other ESF's since that pays less. Why go for objectives when simply killing provides better XP. And nothing kills better than an ESF.

I know, teamplay yaddayadda taking one for the team yaddayadda. Flight has a learning curve, but it's still pretty forgiving in Planetside 2. Just fly around your dome if you need a bit of training. Doesn't matter much when five ESF's are keeping you spawnlocked in your base while you can't do anything back.

But it's always the same in FPS's with vehicular combat. Most developers can't balance air properly and air is almost always the overpowered option when games launch. BF2's air was the same, BF3's air was the same.

Now that people are finding that rocketpods combines with IR/NV-optics are the best option no matter what, you're gonna be seeing them more and more.

I ran into this problem a ton last night. I would always make sure our bases had all the turrets fully repaired, but the AA would get wiped out almost immediately, then the anti-tank turrets were next, then it was just a matter of time before the base fell.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
yeah, Ground AA needs to be altered some. The thing I think the most is: Make it harder to destroy the turrets on bases. Takes 30 seconds to a minute to repair it, and it's destroyed within 5 seconds. Sure, I'll just keep racking up XP repairing the damn thing, but in battles with numerous enemy fliers or tanks, the base defense systems end up being worthless.

Liberty4all

Banned
yeah, Ground AA needs to be altered some. The thing I think the most is: Make it harder to destroy the turrets on bases. Takes 30 seconds to a minute to repair it, and it's destroyed within 5 seconds. Sure, I'll just keep racking up XP repairing the damn thing, but in battles with numerous enemy fliers or tanks, the base defense systems end up being worthless.

I think rockets need a small nerf ... Perhaps the choice of anti infantry or anti armour rockets but not both.

with that said I like that there is a tangible air presence ... In the beta aa was more powerful and it wiped the sky which sucked. Rocket pods seem OP right now though and I hope the damage is toned down.

oh and the skyguard could really use a range buff.

Snowdrift

I find anti armour rockets to be fairly well balanced right now. It usually takes me three-four rockets to kill a tank. One of those is used to dial in the bullet drop when firing from a distance.

What they lack in power is made up in numbers with so many people playing heavy assault.

Why was the Galaxy spawn point certification removed (I didn't play the beta)?

Grief.exe

I didn't play the beta or the original planetside but I've been wondering why the Galaxy didn't have a spawn cert similar to the sunderer.

Waiting for my scythe to come back up takes forever. Bought the rocket pod upgrade and having fun with it so far.

Need to get better at flying, good practice for Star Citizen.

alphaNoid

Banned
Is there a list of in game money breakdown? I can't see how much SOE is charging per dollar per point without putting in my CC. I'd love to see a price breakdown is all.

Also, how do I travel between contients in game? I haven't figured that out yet.. and one last noob question. How do I get to training grounds to test stuff and get XP?

Thanks

sixghost

Is there a list of in game money breakdown? I can't see how much SOE is charging per dollar per point without putting in my CC. I'd love to see a price breakdown is all.

Also, how do I travel between contients in game? I haven't figured that out yet.. and one last noob question. How do I get to training grounds to test stuff and get XP?

Thanks

Unless a sale is going on, $1 = 100 station cash. It doesn't seem like there is any sort of bulk discount. You can't buy everything with SC though, only weapons or cosmetic stuff it seems. As far as I know, there's no way to convert station cash into Cert, which is the currency you use to level up abilities or purchase weapons.

You change continents by accessing a specific terminal in your faction warpgate, or by going to the map screen and looking for an 'instant action' alert on a different continent.

I didn't play the beta or the original planetside but I've been wondering why the Galaxy didn't have a spawn cert similar to the sunderer.

Waiting for my scythe to come back up takes forever. Bought the rocket pod upgrade and having fun with it so far.

Need to get better at flying, good practice for Star Citizen.

You should sink some points into the respawn timer for they scythe, first 2 tiers cost like 11 certs total

MrBig

G-AMS basically allowed effortless flanking and ended up with the battlefield being really chaotic rather than having focused offensive/defensive pushes. It may be returning at some point as a squad only spawn.

Thanks

There's also 2x or 3x sales SC being held constantly around holiday or just randomley. I'd wait till ~Christmas and see if they hold another one

You can trial weapons by clicking the Trial under the purchase options, but there is not a separate VR training ground yet, though that is planned for the near future.

Liberty4all

Banned

In beta when gals had spawn, it was impossible to remove enemy spawns from a battle. Outfits would bring multiple galaxies (like what you see now with sunderers) and have them at the next base in the 5 seconds it takes to fly there. It also broke biolabs with multiple gals parked on the pad, roof everywhere, (epic assaults). Sunderers basically weren't used at all.

it sucked if you missed a ride with the zerg though watching 20 gals head off into the sunset lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
In beta when gals had spawn, it was impossible to remove enemy spawns from a battle. Outfits would bring multiple galaxies (like what you see now with sunderers) and have them at the next base in the 5 seconds it takes to fly there. It also broke biolabs with multiple gals parked on the pad, roof everywhere, (epic assaults). Sunderers basically weren't used at all.

it sucked if you missed a ride with the zerg though watching 20 gals head off into the sunset lol

I actually liked the Gal Spawns on the Bio Labs. Made for giant foothold battles at the Launch Pad Doors.

Everywhere else, yeah, not great. But now, are Galaxy's really used? I've seen the occasional "Airline-type" roll, of a player picking up players, dropping off, returning, picking up more. Which is what they want to happen, but I don't see it often enough. I know you can purchase grenade launchers for the turrets on a Gal, but is there anything else? Any Artillery or A2A? Something that could turn Gal's into something like a Flying Multi-Person Tank, more than Lib's?

Ya I got those two but I'm new to flying so I rarely last 10 minutes in the air.

Yea, for some reason I'm still having a ton of trouble with flying. I've been ok with staying up in the air but I can't seem to hit any ground targets at all, can't seem to keep the target in my sights

Soi-Fong

Also have another question. I'm lev 7 currently, but only have 130+ certs.. This seems really small. My computer has locked up a few times and the game i have had a few "malfunction" when I would log out of the game back into char selection screen where the game would just crash. Is this the reason why I have so little? I thought it was 50 cents per 250 XP so this doesn't make sense...

Myomoto

Also have another question. I'm lev 7 currently, but only have 130+ certs.. This seems really small. My computer has locked up a few times and the game i have had a few "malfunction" when I would log out of the game back into char selection screen where the game would just crash. Is this the reason why I have so little? I thought it was 50 cents per 250 XP so this doesn't make sense...

It's 1 cert per 250 xp.

Top Bottom