• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

It doesn't help that the graphic representation of the heal or repair beam is hilariously shitty. It looks like a placeholder. The lack of a 'lock-on healing' type thing is sorely missing too. Being able to heal someone while facing the opposite direction in TF2 was great.

This 100%.

sixghost

Ah, I didn't know I could force turn off settings using the INI, I will definitely do this tonight. Hopefully I can squeeze a bit more out. Thanks

I just tried that config, and after adjust the render quality I was even able to make it run on my laptop that hasn't been able to run a game made after 2007.

The only problem about lowering render distance is that it removes all sniping or distance air fight capabilities from your game as well, as you basically won't be able to see shit while shit is sure as shit shooting (to kill) you.

So keep that one intact as long as you can.

Soi-Fong

Larger health, anything that keeps you alive longer will be the best investment.

I'll have to disagree. The max health gain you get saves you by like one bullet which in reality isn't all that much.

The faster shield regen is a better investment.

Edit: Goddamn, the motion blur is to die for in the game.

I'll have to disagree. The max health gain you get saves you by like one bullet which in reality isn't all that much.

The faster shield regen is a better investment.

Edit: Goddamn, the motion blur is to die for in the game.

agreed! So good!! Are you using ultra motion blur or what?

Soi-Fong

agreed! So good!! Are you using ultra motion blur or what?

Honestly, with this one I only have it at 4 (1 below ultra) so it could be better. Hopefully, I can bump it up to 5 if there will be an fps boost with the new patch.

One more. The clusterfuck that is the convoy. lol

Ding

Hey there. So there I was, minding my own business, just watching a few GB Quick Looks. PlanetSide 2, huh? I've heard of that. Looks kinda like Tribes. I really liked Tribes. Wait, it's free? I can actually afford that! What are the hardware reqs?

Then the madness set in....

So today, I'm $450 poorer, but I have some decent upgrades coming from Newegg. I don't know what happened. I'm really "not into" PC gaming anymore, and I certainly can't afford that sort of frivolous shit, but well... that happened.

Oh, and I downloaded PS2. Finally finished in the wee hours this morning. Tried it for about 5 minutes. Was killed twice. Didn't even realize those dudes weren't on my team until far too late. I was just looking for a place to tweak my graphical options. People are so hostile these days. : )

Anyway, it seems really neat and completely confusing. Maybe next week, after I get my PC upgraded, someone can let me follow them around and ask dumb questions? Here's one:

How the heck do I get to my Warp Gate? (I think it's called that. Kind of a safe zone?) I suppose I need to get to some teleportation facility, and it will zap me there? Maybe if start the game up again, it won't immediately throw me out into the wilderness, and I'll be able to start figuring out how stuff works. (I've been watching those Basic Training vids.)

Anyway, looking forward to giving this a try. I'm in Georgia (US), so I picked that east coast server you guys were talking about. My station name(?) is "RobertShaftoe". I'll see about signing up on that GAF.... thing.

Hey there. So there I was, minding my own business, just watching a few GB Quick Looks. PlanetSide 2, huh? I've heard of that. Looks kinda like Tribes. I really liked Tribes. Wait, it's free? I can actually afford that! What are the hardware reqs?

Then the madness set in....

So today, I'm $450 poorer, but I have some decent upgrades coming from Newegg. I don't know what happened. I'm really "not into" PC gaming anymore, and I certainly can't afford that sort of frivolous shit, but well... that happened.

Oh, and I downloaded PS2. Finally finished in the wee hours this morning. Tried it for about 5 minutes. Was killed twice. Didn't even realize those dudes weren't on my team until far too late. I was just looking for a place to tweak my graphical options. People are so hostile these days. : )

Anyway, it seems really neat and completely confusing. Maybe next week, after I get my PC upgraded, someone can let me follow them around and ask dumb questions? Here's one:

How the heck do I get to my Warp Gate? (I think it's called that. Kind of a safe zone?) I suppose I need to get to some teleportation facility, and it will zap me there? Maybe if start the game up again, it won't immediately throw me out into the wilderness, and I'll be able to start figuring out how stuff works. (I've been watching those Basic Training vids.)

Anyway, looking forward to giving this a try. I'm in Georgia (US), so I picked that east coast server you guys were talking about. My station name(?) is "RobertShaftoe". I'll see about signing up on that GAF.... thing.

Yea they throw you into the thick of it when you first make a character but everytime after that you'll spawn at the warpgate. You can get to the warpgate via the Respawn screen (you see it when you die or hit the "Redeploy" button on the bottom right corner when you're looking at the big map). When you're on that screen, the warpgate is usually the one on the bottom of the list

You can tell whether an enemy is friendly or foe by using either the minimap or looking for the light blue triangle over their head. You can also hit the Q key to mark enemies with red triangles (like in BF3)

Double XP this weekend, and big patch coming up next week...

Def gonna be playing this weekend. I've also taken GAF's advice and picked up 2 1500 SC point cards at Walmart, I really wish the sale would hurry up and get here so i can use them and get my spiffy armor and helmets. I think I'll hold off on buying any guns right now since new ones are suppose to be available tomorrow

demolitio

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/05/f...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

New guns tomorrow. Supposedly carbines and sniper rifles, but I'm already loving my VX6-7.
The AA stuff though next week looks interesting.

And so it begins...

Referencing what I posted earlier about a steady stream of content that will constantly have the addicts paying money while others try to save certs. So brilliant.

I was about to reformat my computer and install an SSD too, but I think I'll wait until after this weekend just in case. Feeling shitty and dealing with that nonsense will probably make me jump out the window without a game to release my rage...lol

Soi-Fong

And so it begins...

Referencing what I posted earlier about a steady stream of content that will constantly have the addicts paying money while others try to save certs. So brilliant.

I was about to reformat my computer and install an SSD too, but I think I'll wait until after this weekend just in case. Feeling shitty and dealing with that nonsense will probably make me jump out the window without a game to release my rage...lol

Thnk I'll wait a few days to get an idea of how the new guns compare to the old ones then just wait for a sale on those said guns. Bought his week's infantry starter pack yesterday for 2000 since it included VX6-7 which was a gun I had wanted and it included a bunch of other nice weapons as well as camo for the character and gun camo as well.

MrBig

eh, there's no reason to buy anything unless it really changes things up. I'm not spending SC on anything that doesn't give me a different type of play, eg I bough a Battle Rifle, AA rocket, ESF rocket pods, and the vehicle weapon bundle.

Soi-Fong

Man some people really need to learn to flank. I don't like bragging but I literally just took out 7 or 8 guys just by flanking right on a bunch of dudes camped out on a hill and since there was a large firefight going on, they never even knew I was there so just sniped a bunch of guys. Would've killed more if I actually was good at head shots. Lol Guess my camo helped too since this is in Amerish.

Can anyone post some comparison screens of the game with .ini ultra and and standard ultra?

I would lvoe to see the differences in motionblur quality and shadows.

MrBig

Can anyone post some comparison screens of the game with .ini ultra and and standard ultra?

I would lvoe to see the differences in motionblur quality and shadows.

The differences are pretty major in motion blur, shadow render distance (this is really expensive), reflection quality (scopes and the specular surfaces), texture resolution, AO quality/accuracy (also more subtle/less terribly ugly than it looks normally). No screenshot can really encompass it all, it really needs to be experienced as a whole, in motion.

Soi-Fong

The differences are pretty major in motion blur, shadow render distance (this is really expensive), reflection quality (scopes and the specular surfaces), texture resolution, AO quality/accuracy (also more subtle/less terribly ugly than it looks normally). No screenshot can really encompass it all, it really needs to be experienced as a whole, in motion.

AO and shadow I'll have ti disagree on considering the minor jump in quality v performance gains. Those two can be the difference in staying above 30 in the firefights.

MrBig

AO and shadow I'll have ti disagree on considering the minor jump in quality v performance gains. Those two can be the difference in staying above 30 in the firefights.

Yeah shadows I leave on High myself, but for AO it's either turn it off or crank it to ultra because it's absolutely horrid at default values. It just looks like everything is casting multiple, super jaggy shadows.

Concept17

Vanu completely dominating my server the last few days. (Genudine US west)

We'll take a few territories, and then out of nowhere endless tanks and air support role in. Its like every one of them spawn a vehicle, and hardly anyone on foot.

Whoa changes to AA weaponry, RPGs and Rocket pods incoming next week

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/upcoming-adjustments-to-air-vs-ground-balance.60507/#post-752993

Hey all!

First of all, since I think this is my first official post since the game has been live, a quick introduction. My name is Matt Higby and I'm the Creative Director for PlanetSide 2, my job is to work with all of our game designers as well as the other team directors to help build the game. I'm also supposed to post on the forums and make funny movies on youtube.

I wanted to post today to talk about some changes to vehicle balance and especially air-to-ground gameplay. Air-to-ground interactions (and i'm talking about ground-to-air interactions with this too) are one of the most challenging balance touch points in the game. It's very easy with minor changes to make people on either end of this equation feel like they're getting hosed.

Goal for ground based anti-air:
We've talked before a bit about wanting ground to be an effective deterrent to air, and a very dangerous threat against pilots who are being risky (strafing, bombing low, hover spamming rockets, etc), but not necessarily be a hard counter to air. Ultimately friendly air power should be the best counter to enemy air power. I think that statement has been interpreted by some as us saying that the current balance is what we want, I want to be clear: that is not the case. Currently the air-to-ground balance is favoring air a bit too much, and aircraft have an imbalanced influence on the battlefield compared to ground.

In next week's update we're making some adjustments to the air-to-ground gameplay, some of these will affect ground vehicles and some even affect infantry vs infantry, but the main purpose is to bring air and ground into balance a bit more. None of these are enormous changes, but the cumulative effect should be closer to our goal of allowing ground to be an effective deterrent to air and a dangerous threat against pilots who are being risky.

Lock on Rocket Launchers (AV and AA):
- Range Increase
- Faster reload time (to compensate for lock on time)
- Now require lock on to fire

Flak:
- Minor damage increase
- Projectile speed increase

A30 Walker:
- Buffed Damage
- Faster Projectile

Rocket Pods:
- Decrease to the inner explosion radius: 3m to 1.5m. This is the center of the rocket explosion where the maximum damage occurs, so this will not affect direct hits. Effectively this makes the damage falloff at the center of the rocket pod explosion start closer to the center.

Flak Armor:
- Increase maximum explosion resistance for certed Flak armor from 25% to 50%. This makes Flak armor a more viable choice over Nanoweave for soldiers being attacked with explosives.

Decimator:
- New Heavy Assault common pool rocket launcher. High-damage anti-vehicle weapon, has a slow projectile speed and no lock on, but does massive damage to vehicles and other armored targets.

As I mentioned earlier, this is a very complex balance touch point, and we expect that balance changes will continue to occur to this area of the game until it feels great. We think these changes should help a lot to keep infantry and ground vehicles feeling competitive with their colleagues and enemies in the sky and will be a good first step in the journey of balance.

As always, we are eager to hear your feedback, questions and concerns.

-
mh

They should nerf the damage of the rocket pods as well. But it's a start.

I don't think its necessary, with flak armor buffs and increased AA damage/range only the best ESF pilots will be able to use rocket pods effectively now. AA maxes are pretty strong to begin with but with the buff they should be a force to reckon with. You should see all the bitching already happening on the forums lol.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the G2A and G2G launcher not having a dumbfire ability :/ I feel like if that were the case when I first got it, I would never have picked up my G2A launcher.

edit: actually now that I think about it the flak armor buff is also a way to nerf grenade damage as well...I think I'll be switching all my dudes over to flak armor now

Sarcasm

So is there a mumble server everyone uses?

All the outfits appear to use different solutions. I run the TR outfit on Connery and we use a Teamspeak server I setup. Not sure what everyone else is using.

There is a general gaf mumble server. Don't remember details since it is saved on mine. Mumble is nice..always clear and low ms (also much nicer UI).

But TS3 is nice too..which I use on Connery to hear J sexy voice.

Jhriad

But TS3 is nice too..which I use on Connery to hear J sexy voice.

draper_wink.gif

Jintor

I just increased the page file, hoping that fixes it. This might finally be the impetus for me to ditch Vista though goddamn

mr_nothin

Banned
I just increased the page file, hoping that fixes it. This might finally be the impetus for me to ditch Vista though goddamn

The solution has more to do with solution A than solution B in that link. You need to allow the OS to allocate more memory to that specific program. You need 4GB of ram for it to work.

Jintor

I did that and it still crashed after 30 minutes so not great

Thing was I was getting no crashes at all until I started flying scythes more so maybe i'm just not fated to fly

Jintor

Jesus christ, I don't know, this time I crashed just trying to switch to my cert screen while in Battle. fuck this noise

Grief.exe

They should nerf the damage of the rocket pods as well. But it's a start.

The explosion radius is enough of a nerf.

This, along with the increase flak damage infantry cert, makes it so they are less of a threat to infantry, but still maintains it as a good weapon for vehicle attacks.

Before ESFs could just lay fire down and any infantry would die near the blast radius. This is probably the best nerf possible for this weapon.

On the other hand, nerfing the damage but keeping the blast radius would do nothing for infantry since the damage would still be enough to kill them. But would make the weapon useless against other fighters and ground vehicles.

And if they nerfed the blast radius and damage then you might as well just delete the weapon entirely.

demolitio

The explosion radius is enough of a nerf.

This, along with the increase flak damage infantry cert, makes it so they are less of a threat to infantry, but still maintains it as a good weapon for vehicle attacks.

Before ESFs could just lay fire down and any infantry would die near the blast radius. This is probably the best nerf possible for this weapon.

On the other hand, nerfing the damage but keeping the blast radius would do nothing for infantry since the damage would still be enough to kill them. But would make the weapon useless against other fighters and ground vehicles.

And if they nerfed the blast radius and damage then you might as well just delete the weapon entirely.

Pretty much. Besides, the changes to all the anti-air should make a huge difference as well. You can't be hovering over a base and just unloading rockets unless none of the enemies care enough to take you out. I actually think I'll be in the air less now because of that anyway.

They just need to make sure they don't pull a BF3 and go between the two extremes nonstop with each patch and nerfing the rockets' damage too would be going too far.

Top Bottom