• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Sarcasm

When are the new batches of weapons (snipers / carbines) coming in?

Also on my heavy I spent points into 2 certs:

Nanoweave Armor x3
Nanite Mesh Armor/Shield x3

Where should I be spending? I have like 117 atm

Myomoto

Nanoweave Armor x3

I think weapons are coming today (Thursday) and on next Thursday (the 13th).

Nanoweave Armor x3

I think you are able to test the weapons and equipment about before you buy it.

Start a new Vany character. You know you want to join Gaf. Lol

Join in the pew pew!

May go and do that. This game is definitely more fun in a group.

Mupod

Double EXP weekend on the first weekend I've EVER had to work on a Saturday. God dammit...well, I didn't even know they had double EXP weekends so that's cool at least. I've gotten pretty good at farming certs though so I'll be looking forward to it.

The left arm MAX Burster is the daily sale, might go for it since it's being buffed too. But I might not even need it since I could just use my HA - I already have the AA lockon rocket, and I could make a loadout for antiair with flak armor. I don't think the rocket is that good a choice for actually killing air but man does it ever scare them off quick.

The Decimator sounds perfect for me, since with the change to AA rockets I'll be switching to my dumbfire one more often anyways. And I'm pretty good with it so slower projectile speed might not be too big an issue...I'll need to trial it first. I do use my default rocket launcher for killing infantry pretty often, especially Engineers hiding behind turrets. And if the new one is REALLY slow they might have time to dodge.

Edit: Also on the subject of flak armor, I very rarely die to grenades as my HA since even if I can't get out of the blast radius I almost always have my resist shield ready to go. But doubling the damage reduction is making it really attractive, I'll definitely slap it on my Engineer who frequently has to deal with explosive damage when trying to fix my damn Sunderers which I put in the silliest places.

Sarcasm

SUCH BULLSHIT.

I am using lasher. I get the red X 7 times and only his shield is gone. I get hit 5 tiems and DIE with shield on.

And its equipped. This junk is lame!

Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of how sloooow certs are coming in for a real F2P player. Without any boosters and such, about 30-40 certs per hour is pretty much the max you can do.

Double exp is nice, but it will still take at least ten hours to get those rocket pods or something that can take the amount of certs up.

(although doing anti-zerg base defense with an engineer is a good way of quickly racking up tank kills too. )

I just don't think it's worth my time to keep on playing under those circumstances, to be honest. :(
(but probably will anyway)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Pretty much. Besides, the changes to all the anti-air should make a huge difference as well. You can't be hovering over a base and just unloading rockets unless none of the enemies care enough to take you out. I actually think I'll be in the air less now because of that anyway.

They just need to make sure they don't pull a BF3 and go between the two extremes nonstop with each patch and nerfing the rockets' damage too would be going too far.
I'm starting to think they do that to get comments out of people.

I'd like to see the RTS approach to air, where fixed AA turrets are extremely effective but they're costly and/or slow to build. So the ground pounders go in to remove them and then the air follows behind them.

alphaNoid

Banned
I just wanted to come in and say thanks to everyone for the tips on graphic settings over the past few days. Turning off things like Shadows and a few other settings in the INI file was the trick and got me to 45+ FPS in heavy battles, 60-70+ FPS everywhere else.

Now I just need to find time to play more lol. Should be on nightly Connery, but mostly after 9pm PST due to family stuff taking priority.

Sarcasm

I just wanted to come in and say thanks to everyone for the tips on graphic settings over the past few days. Turning off things like Shadows and a few other settings in the INI file was the trick and got me to 45+ FPS in heavy battles, 60-70+ FPS everywhere else.

Now I just need to find time to play more lol. Should be on nightly Connery, but mostly after 9pm PST due to family stuff taking priority.

Care to share your ini?

Sarcasm

So yea still freakin squishy on my HA. Its annoying that I wasted certs in HP suit slot and shield armor slot for it to do jack. When an engy can out last its kinda BS.

I need to stop playing..when a game is all just grenade spam and 100000 medics & engys I think its time for a break.

Soi-Fong

I have a Walmart 15 dollar card ready to go, but really waiting on the double station cash. Wanna get a new sniper and might invest in the AA Next week.

Hopefully, there's a bundle at some point.

J-Rzez

Did they unveil the new weapons yet? I know the servers are just about to go down. I'm curious to see the new stuff.

Mupod

So yea still freakin squishy on my HA. Its annoying that I wasted certs in HP suit slot and shield armor slot for it to do jack. When an engy can out last its kinda BS.

I need to stop playing..when a game is all just grenade spam and 100000 medics & engys I think its time for a break.

I'm no pro but I've been playing HA quite a bit for the last few days. You just need to stay in your effective ranges and don't try to 'tank', you're still more durable than most. Especially if you only poke your head out when you've got your shields + ability meter full. I find I can usually take out most other classes in 1v1 situations without losing my shields, and 2v1 usually leaves me at half health unless one of them was another heavy (or had a shotgun).

Keep calm, get a 2x reflex sight, and aim down the sights at the head. Spraying from the hip is no good even at pretty close ranges, at least with the guns I use. As I said earlier in the thread I use a Vanu Flare + compensator/foregrip/soft point ammo and it does great - I've got around 850 kills with it so far.

I would also recommend trying out the resist shield for a bit. It's really been working well with my playstyle, although it makes you slightly more vulnerable to ambushes. It recharges much faster especially when upgraded so I'm fine with that tradeoff. I spend a good bit of time 'holding the line' and it's perfect for that kind of situation, since I can pop out kill a couple people then hide until both my shields are ready to go again. Nanoweave is just an additional safety buffer. Last night I got about 30 kills on people trying to spawn camp the teleporter in a biolab...they kept setting up ambushes outside but even with 2-3 at once shooting me I could pop out and kill one then duck back behind the shield. Repeat until out of ammo or teleporter gets shut down.

Edit: Also, the Lasher is bad, don't use it. I bet it'll get buffed someday, which would be nice because it's really cool looking.

Soi-Fong

I'm no pro but I've been playing HA quite a bit for the last few days. You just need to stay in your effective ranges and don't try to 'tank', you're still more durable than most. Especially if you only poke your head out when you've got your shields + ability meter full. I find I can usually take out most other classes in 1v1 situations without losing my shields, and 2v1 usually leaves me at half health unless one of them was another heavy (or had a shotgun).

Keep calm, get a 2x reflex sight, and aim down the sights at the head. Spraying from the hip is no good even at pretty close ranges, at least with the guns I use. As I said earlier in the thread I use a Vanu Flare + compensator/foregrip/soft point ammo and it does great - I've got around 850 kills with it so far.

I would also recommend trying out the resist shield for a bit. It's really been working well with my playstyle, although it makes you slightly more vulnerable to ambushes. It recharges much faster especially when upgraded so I'm fine with that tradeoff. I spend a good bit of time 'holding the line' and it's perfect for that kind of situation, since I can pop out kill a couple people then hide until both my shields are ready to go again. Nanoweave is just an additional safety buffer. Last night I got about 30 kills on people trying to spawn camp the teleporter in a biolab...they kept setting up ambushes outside but even with 2-3 at once shooting me I could pop out and kill one then duck back behind the shield. Repeat until out of ammo or teleporter gets shut down.

Edit: Also, the Lasher is bad, don't use it. I bet it'll get buffed someday, which would be nice because it's really cool looking.

What's your opinion on the LSW since that's my main right now with HA and since it came with this week's bundle which I bought. Not sure if I want to spend cents on it or not.

Or like you get the flare.

With the resist shield, what do you use for your utility? Shield regenerator, Flak or Nanoweave? I've been playing more and more HA now and I really want to start sinking points into a class designed to kill people lol. Using the default gun right now with a 1x reflex and have been doing ok most of the time, just not sure where to spend points yet

What's your opinion on the LSW since that's my main right now with HA and since it came with this week's bundle which I bought. Not sure if I want to spend cents on it or not.

Found this guy using lsw, seems like a good gun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPUuoD4jtI&list=UUXN76fKLJUFeMK12fAN5Gug&index=6

Mupod

I liked the Flare when I tried it out, and it's one of the 250 cert/500 SC weapons so I just got it with certs. Haven't used the LSW but I might be in the market for a new gun once I max this one's medals out. Keep wasting my trials on stupid vehicle weapons, then the vehicle gets blown up or caught on a tree or something.

The Orion isn't a bad gun, it just doesn't fit my style.

With the resist shield, what do you use for your utility? Shield regenerator, Flak or Nanoweave? I've been playing more and more HA now and I really want to start sinking points into a class designed to kill people lol. Using the default gun right now with a 1x reflex and have been doing ok most of the time, just not sure where to spend points yet

I've been using Nanoweave at rank 4. I used the shield capacitor before, but the default shield seems to recharge in time for my resist shield to come back up and it works fine. I tend to prefer flanking and going after generators so I'm usually down to the wire on health...being able to survive one extra encounter can mean the difference between death and coming up behind 10 guys who are not paying attention. I bring the gradual hp regenerator items, I go through those like candy.

Flak armor is getting buffed, but as I said above I hardly ever die to grenades now. If I get caught in one my resist shield is usually up and I can pretty much walk through explosions with that as long as my regular shields are full too. I still get blown up by point blank rockets from other heavies though, which is super annoying. Also, allies who are stupid and try to toss grenades out the spawn only to have it bounce back in and kill 50 people.

Soi-Fong

Lol Yeah love those grenades that just bounce back and fuck up a whole area you're trying to defend. I've had my weapon locked once or twice team killing those guys who threw those said grenades just to show them the error of their ways. Lol

To be honest, there's something wonky about the grenade path in this game. I have no problem tossing grenades in ANY other FPS, but I've had so many grenades hit a wall and bounce right back in my face, when in any other game it would have cleared it.

MrBig

I think they are rolling out some updates. New weapons and stuff drop today, though I would have expected a notice about on their twitter and there isn't anything.

They announced the patch was going up yesterday on twitter and have had a news item visible in the launcher since yesterday saying the servers would be down as well.

J-Rzez

New Weapons are now available in the Marketplace!

We’ve opened up the armory and are ready to issue a selection of new hardware. This state of the art weaponry can help you ensure dominance on the field of battle.

For our Infiltrators, prove the age old principle “One shot. One kill” with these brand new sniper rifles. The New Conglomerate Longshot, The Terran Republic RAMS .50M and the Vanu Sovereignty Parallax all provide exceptionally fast projectiles but a slower bolt action fire rate and reload time.

We also have additional gear to provide our Light Assault and Engineers to ensure survivability and lethality:

New Conglomerate Razor GD-23 – This carbine is the sharpshooters dream with extremely high accuracy and greater effectiveness at long range.

Terran Republic LC3 Jaguar – Perfect in close quarters battle, the Jaguar provides accurate hip fire and the high mobility you need to clear a room.

Vanu Sovereignty Serpent – The Serpent is the perfect fit for those want to lay down suppression fire. It boasts the fastest firing rate of the Vanu Sovereignty carbines.

There's the new weapons.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Lol Yeah love those grenades that just bounce back and fuck up a whole area you're trying to defend. I've had my weapon locked once or twice team killing those guys who threw those said grenades just to show them the error of their ways. Lol

Since you've had them locked: How long are they locked for. I've gotten 2 messages before saying "any more and we'll lock your guns." FF makes Grenade throws and vehicle combat crazy for the wrong reasons.

Honestly I feel the cert rate is too low in this game. While I'm sure with more experience and understanding the game better will improve the efficiency rate of gaining certs, it still looks pretty tiresome after a few days of playing.

Maybe I need to find a better source guide on how to improve/maximize cert gain somewhere?

Honestly I feel the cert rate is too low in this game. While I'm sure with more experience and understanding the game better will improve the efficiency rate of gaining certs, it still looks pretty tiresome after a few days of playing.

Maybe I need to find a better source guide on how to improve/maximize cert gain somewhere?

I agree with the cert rate (see above).

As for the question: follow the zerg?

It is the fastest way to meet new people! To kill.
That, and rocket pods + enemy zerg. The Zerg seem to favor Amerish though.

alphaNoid

Banned
Care to share your ini?

Sure, but I"m not at home right now to get it to you. I mirrored these settings at first then turned on a few settings until I found a good balance of performance and appearance.

I think I used these settings, but turned Lighting to medium, terrain to medium, effects to Low and upped the audio quality to 0.500000 on each setting. Also my render quality is at 85%. The big thing was turning shadows off, and flora. Reducing audio quality does help a bit on the CPU usage during big battles as well to save a few frames.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/13pzb1/fps_settings_which_helped_me_improve_kd_to_30/

edit. Question for everyone ... whats the equivalent of the Flare for TR?

MrBig

Soo are they're just the same models with different stats?
yeah this is one pf my biggest gripes with all the weapons. they assemble the models out of several pieces in the engine, but their libraries are extremely small atm. just one of those things that will be expanded over time
in reality the models dont matter all that much but they do help a bit with threat recognition and to make people feel better about their purchases

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
I tried a trial for the new carbine(NC) and for some reason both that and the AC-X11 got set to trial, and I could only select the AC-X11. They have the same stats for me too. Hopefully it's just a bug.

And I really hope they try to make some different weapon models in the future.

J-Rzez

I tried a trial for the new carbine(NC) and for some reason both that and the AC-X11 got set to trial, and I could only select the AC-X11. They have the same stats for me too. Hopefully it's just a bug.

And I really hope they try to make some different weapon models in the future.

It's shockingly controllable and seems to hit harder than the older model. I wondered the same and then I tried it out. I'll be picking that up. Super accurate and hard hitting.

EDIT: looks like some people are getting "bugged" models of this while others got the real deal. They're working on whatever bug that is now.

Soi-Fong

There's the new weapons.

Might try out the Serpent. Though that sucks since I just bought VX6-7 with the bundle just two days ago. It says suppression fire which kinda makes me wonder though if it's a bit higher on the recoil and lower on the accuracy which I wouldn't want to give up from the VX6-7.

Since you've had them locked: How long are they locked for. I've gotten 2 messages before saying "any more and we'll lock your guns." FF makes Grenade throws and vehicle combat crazy for the wrong reasons.

2-3 min max. Logged out once and immediately had my weapons unlocked.

Whoa apparently composite armor on ESF was nerfed today

Reduces damage taken from flak by 10% and infantry small arms fire by 20%.
Reduces damage taken from flak by 12% and infantry small arms fire by 28%.
Reduces damage taken from flak by 15% and infantry small arms fire by 35%.

Reduces damage taken from flak by 18% and infantry small arms fire by 50%.

now:

Reduces damage taken from flak by 3% and infantry small arms fire by 2%.
Reduces damage taken from flak by 6% and infantry small arms fire by 4%.
Reduces damage taken from flak by 9% and infantry small arms fire by 6%.
Reduces damage taken from flak by 12% and infantry small arms fire by 8%.

Probably taken too far imo

Myomoto

Whoa apparently composite armor on ESF was nerfed today

Probably taken too far imo

Jeez! It kinda pisses me off they'll nerf something so hard, without giving us an option of getting our certs back from the purchase. When I gave 100 certs for 20% reduced small arms fire that seemed reasonable, but fuck this 2% bullshit.

Huh, apparently AT mines got changed as well. They must be place with at least 1 meter distance between them...damn and I just unlocked them too

edit: Also it auto switches you back to your main gun after dropping one

mr_nothin

Banned
Huh, apparently AT mines got changed as well. They must be place with at least 1 meter distance between them...damn and I just unlocked them too

edit: Also it auto switches you back to your main gun after dropping one

Hmmm, I wonder why.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVf87ko3DEA&feature=player_embedded

Jeez! It kinda pisses me off they'll nerf something so hard, without giving us an option of getting our certs back from the purchase. When I gave 100 certs for 20% reduced small arms fire that seemed reasonable, but fuck this 2% bullshit.

Honestly, just played the game and really didnt notice much of a difference.

Hmmm, I wonder why.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVf87ko3DEA&feature=player_embedded

Honestly, just played the game and really didnt notice much of a difference.

People were using mines like c4? Damn I should of thought of that lol. But yea about the nerf to the armor, it is just small arms fire, I rarely see anyone actually try to shoot ESF...they usually call for someone to get burster maxes. I'll be keeping an eye on the forums when the true changes happen next week

mr_nothin

Banned
To be fair, infantry almost NEVER EVER shoot at ESFs anyway.

Yea, and even if you did...you didnt do much damage to it already. Having small arms damage effectively reduced to 50% less meant it did no damage at all, even from multiple enemies firing. This just makes you not hover spam as much.

I dont see a problem with any of these changes but apparently others do...

People were using mines like c4? Damn I should of thought of that lol. But yea about the nerf to the armor, it is just small arms fire, I rarely see anyone actually try to shoot ESF...they usually call for someone to get burster maxes. I'll be keeping an eye on the forums when the true changes happen next week

There was a nerf to composite armor's resistance to flak also but again, it doesnt really make a huge difference after playing just now. %'s dont always mean what you think they mean in this game....
For instance, nanoweave armor can be certed up to 25% of additional health. Sounds like a fuck-ton right? Well it only applies to the health (green bar) and it really means you can only take 1 additional bullet. But guess what? The same thing goes for the 1st nanoweave cert which gives you 10% increase in health. It only really affects long range (can take 1-2 bullets more) and sniper rifles (can survive a headshot)............

Myomoto

Yea, and even if you did...you didnt do much damage to it already. Having small arms damage effectively reduced to 50% less meant it did no damage at all, even from multiple enemies firing. This just makes you not hover spam as much.

You don't think it's pretty crazy to change a 1800 cert investment from a 50% bonus to an 8% bonus?

mr_nothin

Banned
You don't think it's pretty crazy to change a 1800 cert investment from a 50% bonus to an 8% bonus?

Sure dont. Read my previous post.
But then again I've been in the beta and saw drastic changes every week and I'm pretty used to how they handle balancing.

If it makes for a better game then I'm cool with it.

demolitio

I just had a Scythe with armor abandoned and laying right next to me and my rounds still barely did any damage and that's with every single one of them landing on target. Two full mags and it still had the majority of its health but that's when the test ended as some guy blew it up with a rocket instead...lol

Like Nothin said, I think people are just reading the percentages and not applying those numbers to how it will actually affect the game. Percentages are deceiving when default numbers did very little anyway.

By the way, we need some real squadmates for the TR outfit on Mattherson. Otherwise, we'll probably just join an outfit that's active eventually since it makes the game 100x better.

mr_nothin

Banned
I just had a Scythe with armor abandoned and laying right next to me and my rounds still barely did any damage and that's with every single one of them landing on target. Two full mags and it still had the majority of its health but that's when the test ended as some guy blew it up with a rocket instead...lol

By the way, we need some real squadmates for the TR outfit on Mattherson. Otherwise, we'll probably just join an outfit that's active eventually since it makes the game 100x better.

Sorry my computer has been acting weird since I reinstalled yesterday. I have to get my overclocking back in order.

demolitio

Sorry my computer has been acting weird since I reinstalled yesterday. I have to get my overclocking back in order.

I think I might reformat my PC so I can install this SSD tonight so no worries. I just don't want to reformat and then have something go wrong and miss double XP...lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I don't think pointing out that it was essentially a worthless upgrade is going to make the people that purchased it feel better about having it nerfed.

Top Bottom